Lakshman Rekha - significance!

kmfan_2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
Today Ramayan saw how Sita crossed the Lakshman Rekha leading to her being kidnapped.

Most of us know about this story but thought of sharing a good article I read on this - 

Here it is - 

SIGNIFICANCE OF LAKSHMAN REKHA

There is an incident in Ramayana when Lakshman drew a big circular line (popularly known as Lakshman Rekha) and told/warned Sita not to go out of the circle i.e. not to cross the boundary (line forming p
erimeter of the circle).

But despite his warning she got tempted and crossed the boundary line. And consequent to that not only she suffered, but all the characters of Ramayana.

I thought what could be the message other than that which has generally been understood.

Perhaps the message is

"Sometimes despite all care taken not to cross the boundary line (Lakshman rekha) drawn by other for you , you unknowingly invariably cross that line because you have not the same understanding of the person who has drawn the line. Hence, if you want a peaceful social life i.e. to avoid your own as well as others' suffering, you must practice not to cross the boundary line drawn by others as far as possible."

In today's episode this was beautifully picturised too...Ravan was not able to enter the line...but unfortunately Sita did not understand the larger intention/purpose of Lakshman and she crossed it when provoked by the disguised Ravan.

But we must also understand that Sita was more worried about the curse of the Rishi -  as for her - the welfare of her husband was the top most priority. She could do anything to protect Raghuveer which was the main reason for her to ask Lakshman to go and help him out. Hence she crossed the line - leading to what happened later...

I loved this part a lot today!
Edited by kmfan_2 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

superdil19 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
nice topic  kmfan_2

i like this topic a lot...i like these lines very much
"Sometimes despite all care taken not to cross the boundary line (Lakshman rekha) drawn by other for you , you unknowingly invariably cross that line because you have not the same understanding of the person who has drawn the line. Hence, if you want a peaceful social life i.e. to avoid your own as well as others' suffering, you must practice not to cross the boundary line drawn by others as far as possible."

thanks 
Incense thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
nice post ...yes lakshman rekha was  the parameter line to protect sita...the interesting point is tht no other being save Lakshmana or Rama could enter this rekha uninvited ...only ram and lakshman could enter the rekha not SITA...

the steps tht sita took could never be retraced because the mythical Lakshman Rekha was always a one-way crossover..she could not enter back into her protection aura...coz she couldnt tragessed back...wat an irony ...she had best man in the world to protect her yet she was left unprotected...*sigh*

once again lovely post and thanks for sharing😳

EXOL thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail + 7
nice post..yes lakshman rekha has lot of significance..it conveys a general  message too as how we should never go beyond  certain limits. 
kmfan_2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thank you all for liking and commenting...on my post...
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Kmfan_2,
Good to see you bring up an interesting topic..

The Lakshman Rekha scene was quite a charged scene, Sita in her emotional upheaval forcing him to leave her alone. Lakshman on the other hand has a defeated stance in his inability to convince her, having to unwillingly disobey his brother's commands as well as hurt at her cruel accusations. In spite of that he ensures her limits of safety, the line that delineates the world of evil from the confines of safety and well-being.

Controversial in its own sense over the implications on women in crossing over the boundaries of moral precincts, I do not support Ravan's statement here and the interpretation of 'maryada ka ullanghan'. Sita did not cross her moral boundaries, she was deceived and a woman's inherent nature, that of always wishing well for her husband and his safety was exploited. In a cheap game of revenge, it was the woman who suffered, either which way.

I really wished we could watch Valmik's version of Sita's accusations of Lakshman. Literature offers a deeper meaning and significance to the 'agnipareeksha' she underwent later on against the threat of self immolation she emotionally pressurized Lakshman with.

As to why Sita had to cross the rekha, that's a whole new aspect to debate on...
Edited by _Avatarana_ - 11 years ago
enchanted23 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Lakshman rekha was the line or boundary drawn for protection of Sita.  I do not understand how this relates to Maryada,or the moral code of ethics being transgressed by Sita and how one can equate crossing of that line under the influence of deceit, to moral decorum being compromised. The safety boundary was to protect Sita from the likes of Ravan and all the evils in disguise in society and in my opinion the seekh here should be how not to get influenced by guised deceit and malevolence

As far as symbolism goes, an alternate scenario can be drawn, Sita in fit of anger not only hurled abuses towards Lakshman who was standing firm to his Ram bhaiyya orders  of not leaving her unguarded even for a moment she also threatened to self immolate herself,if Lakshman still refused to heed her demands. Lakshman in fact requests her to not cross the line under his oath, by giving the rekha one's own name, Lakshman Rekha. Having crossed that over,she breaks oath under his name, Lakshman had to pay for this breach of promise by Sita when he had a near death experience with the shakti spear attack. For the fiery tongue she used on an innocent devoted brother Lakshman, , she did have to prove her devotion to Ram ( read; purity) by going through agni pareeksha and come unscathed. That too, even after she herself had given her curse to Fire God that it will be all destructive in its capacity. 

Edited by enchanted23 - 11 years ago
winterdusk thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: enchanted23

Lakshman rekha was the line or boundary drawn for protection of Sita.  I do not understand how this relates to Maryada,or the moral code of ethics being transgressed by Sita and how one can equate crossing of that line under the influence of deceit, to moral decorum being compromised. The safety boundary was to protect Sita from the likes of Ravan and all the evils in disguise in society and in my opinion the seekh here should be how not to get influenced by guised deceit and malevolence

As far as symbolism goes, an alternate scenario can be drawn, Sita in fit of anger not only hurled abuses towards Lakshman who was standing firm to his Ram bhaiyya orders  of not leaving her unguarded even for a moment she also threatened to self immolate herself,if Lakshman still refused to heed her demands. Lakshman in fact requests her to not cross the line under his oath, by giving the rekha one's own name, Lakshman Rekha. Having crossed that over,she breaks oath under his name, Lakshman had to pay for this breach of promise by Sita when he had a near death experience with the shakti spear attack. For the fiery tongue she used on an innocent devoted brother Lakshman, , she did have to prove her devotion to Ram ( read; purity) by going through agni pareeksha and come unscathed. That too, even after she herself had given her curse to Fire God that it will be all destructive in its capacity. 

@ bold ...wow this is new to me 👏 whatt a lovely interpretation👏 thanks alot for sharing😳
Edited by sanjh11 - 11 years ago