Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Bhaskar.T thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
In that whole madness you got the time to upload these....

Hats off to you..... 👏 👏 👏

Thanks for the audio's. Downloaded them just now and listening to them. Great ones I must say. He had western touch in his music.

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
hey bhaskar, thanks so much for treating me to this treat.......it's a blissful retreat, even if momentarily, from all the confusion around me....

Thanks again.

I never seem to get over the man that Satyajit Ray was. I have never liked tragedies, but Pather Panchali leaves you with an entirely different feeling altogether.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am going to save it.
advil thumbnail

Originally posted by: Minnie

I never seem to get over the man that Satyajit Ray was. I have never liked tragedies, but Pather Panchali leaves you with an entirely different feeling altogether.

I am not an arty sorta guy..but I have loved each and every Satyajit Ray film that I watched.. In Pather Panchali Apu & his sister(durga??was that her name ..can't remember) running over to the field to see the train go or the scene where the dad comes back to hear about his daughters demise... really too good.

Minniedi, your siggy is an exact replica of what I was carrying about a month back...😆

Pradarshak thumbnail
Satyajit Ray was a maestro. Nothing can get over his 'Pather Panchali', it's a master-piece. The characters Harihar-Sarbojaya-Apu-Durga-Indir Thakuran will always live with us. Even the music, when I imagine the movie the music rings in my ears. Every time I watch it I get so emotional. When I hear "Hari din to gelo sondhya holo par koro amare" by Indir Thakuran, don't know why I get deeply saddened.
Pradarshak thumbnail
Apu trilogy in Polish students' curriculum

WARSAW: Ten films of India's master filmmaker Satyajit Ray, including his magnum opus Apu trilogy, will be screened in Poland for students as a tribute to his genius.

They will be screened at the Summer Academy of Films in Zamosz, some 400 km from the Polish capital.

The organisers have collected from around the world 262 old movies, including 10 films of the late Satyajit Ray. The purpose is to show and teach the students different styles of filmmaking.

"It is really a great honour for India that they have selected 10 classics of Satyajit Ray, starting from 'Pather Panchali', 'Apur Sansar', 'Aparajito' to 'Charulata' and others.

"The organisers have given preference to Ray's films as compared to other masters such as Federico Fellini and no other director's works have been selected in such a big number," said Anil Wadhwa, the Indian ambassador to Poland.

Piotr Kotowski, chief of the academy, said their selection of Ray's films is "a tribute to Satyajit's genius".

"He is one of the all time great directors and our students will understand parallel Indian cinema in a better perspective," Kotowski, said.
Edited by Pradarshak - 17 years ago
*Jaya* thumbnail
Thanks Bob'da, Barnali'di and Anol for uploading all the wonderful links... Just cant get over listening to his music.... He was truly amazing in all respects... 👏
Qwest thumbnail

Awards for Satyajit Ray

Abhijan (The Expedition) President's Silver Medal, New Delhi, 1962 Aparajito (The Unvanquished) GoIden Lion of St Mark, Cinema Nuovo and Critics' Award, Venice, 1957
FIPRESCI Award, London, 1957
Critics' Award for Best Film and Direction, San Francisco, 1958
Golden Laurel for Best Foreign Film 1958-9 USA
Selznick Golden Laurel, Berlin, 1960
Best Non-European Film, Denmark, 1967
Apur Sansar (The World of Apu) Gold Medal, New Delhi, 1959
Sutherland Award for Best Original and Imaginative Film, London Film, 1960
Diploma of Merit, XIV International Festival, Edinburgh, 1960
Best Foreign Film of 1960, National Board of Review of Motion Pictures, USA
Ashani Sanket (Distant Thunder) For Music and Direction, President's Gold Medal, New Delhi, 1972
Golden Bear, Berlin, 1973
Golden Hugo, Chicago, 1974
Charulata (The Lonely wife) President's Gold Medal, New Delhi, 1964
Silver Bear for Best Direction, Berlin, 1965
Catholic Award, Berlin, 1965 Best Film, Acapulco, 1965
Chiria Khana (The Zoo) Best Direction, West Bengal Government, 1968 Devi (The Goddess) President's Gold Medal, New Delhi, 1961 Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne (The Adventures of Goopy and Bagha) President's Gold and Silver Medals, New Delhi, 1970
Silver Cross Award, Best Direction and Originality, Adelaide and Auckland, 1969
Merit Award, Tokyo, 1970
Best Film, Melbourne, 1970
The Inner Eye Prime Minister's Gold Medal, New Delhi, 1974 Jalsaghar (The Music Room) President's Silver Medal, New Delhi, 1959
Silver Medal for Music, Moscow, 1959
Jana Aranya (The Middle Man) Best Direction, New Delhi, 1975
Best Film, Direction, Screenplay, West Bengal Government, 1975
Karlovy Vary Prize, 1976
Joi Baba Felunath (The Elephant God) Best Children's Film, New Delhi, 1978 Mahanagar (The Big City) Certificate of Merit, New Delhi, 1964
Silver Bear for Best Direction, Berlin, 1964
Nayak (The Hero) Best Screenplay and Story, New Delhi, 1967
Critics' Prize and Special Jury Award, Berlin, 1966
Pather Panchali (Song of the Little Road) President's Gold and Silver Medals, New Delhi, 1955
Best Human Document, Cannes, 1956
Diploma of Merit, Edinburgh, 1956
Vatican Award, Rome, 1956
Golden Carbao, Manila, 1956
Best Film and Direction, San Francisco, 1957
Selznick Golden Laurel, Berlin, 1957
Best Film, Vancouver, 1958
Critics' Award, Stafford, 1958
Best Foreign Film of 1959, Afro Arts Theater, New York
Best Foreign Film, Tokyo, 1966
Best Non-European Film, Denmark, 1966
Pratidwandi (The Adversary) Special Award, New Delhi, 1971
President's Silver Medal, New Delhi, 1971
Rabindranath Tagore President's Gold Medal , New Delhi, 1961
Golden Seal, Locarno, 1961
Seemabaddha (Company Limited) President's Gold Medal, New Delhi, 1972 Shatranj ke Khiladi (The Chess Players) Best Feature Film in Hindi, New Delhi, 1977 Sonar Kella (The Golden Fortress) President's Silver Medal, New Delhi 1974
Best Direction, and Screen Play, West Bengal Govemment, 1974
Best Feature Film for Children and Young Adults, Teheran, 1975
Teen Kanya (Three Daughters) President's Silver Medal, New Delhi, 1961 (Samapti)
Golden Boomerang, Melbourne, 1962
Selznick Golden Laurel Award, Berlin, 1963 (Samapti and The Postmaster)

Ray accepting his Oscar for the Honorary Lifetime Achievement Award in a Kolkata hospital.

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago