Show or actor, who's bigger? - RS, Angad

downandout thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Show-or-actor-whos-bigger-Industry-debates/articleshow/17466985.cms

Show or actor, who's bigger? Industry debates

By Vaibhavi V RisboodVaibhavi V Risbood, TNN | Dec 3, 2012, 08.15 PM IST

Show or actor, who's bigger? Industry debates
Barun Sobati and Sanaya Irani

TV celebs quitting small screen to pursue their dreams in Bollywood, is definitely not new. However, how one actor's decision to quit midway can affect the entire team of a popular show is shocking.

The case in point: Star Plus' Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?'s abrupt end owing to Barun Sobti's (Arnav Singh Raizada) exit from the show, the cast and crew are left high and dry.

His co-star from the show, Sanaya Irani (Khushi Kumari Gupta) is heartbroken, but at the same time is happy about Barun's popularity. "I guess it's a big compliment for Barun. Without his popularity the show couldn't continue. Not just me, but the entire team will miss Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?," says Sanaya.

The producer of Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?Rajesh Chadha claims that like many fans, he is too shocked with the decision. "We tried to retain Barun for the show, but he couldn't make his schedule. It's the channel's internal decision. In fact, few months back, we had adjusted the schedule of the show for Barun's debut film," says Rajesh.

Does the pre-mature death of a popular show leave a scathing mark of injustice on the other actors of the show? "We never planned this. It's never an actor, who is bigger than the show. Probably, it's the first time when a show came to an end because the actor left. It's not that we didn't try to make changes in the script, and I still feel Sanaya has done a brilliant work. In the past, we have examples of Ronit Roy replacing Amar Upadhyay in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi or Hiten Tejwani replacing Sushant Singh Rajput in Pavitra Rishta and still the show doing well. We could have gone ahead with a different storyline. But as I said, probably, there was some pressure on the channel, which made them take the decision," replies Rajesh, who still firmly believes in the potential of the show.

In a quest to know what plays an important role in a show, we contacted producer Rajan Shahi of Bidaai and Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai. "It varies from case to case. I believe, ideally a show should have the strength so that it can sustain even if one character decides leave. Generally, actors become popular because of the characters. The broadcaster and production house invest a lot in the actor and storyline. Actors should also feel the responsibility towards the show. At the end of the day, it's the story-telling which works and attracts the audience," Rajan opines.

Siddharth Kumar Tewary, producer of Navya, too believes that an actor should be responsible for the character he essays. "Actor quitting the show is not right as the equilibrium of show gets affected since audience is used to seeing particular actors in specific roles. But no actor is bigger than the show. Overall show runs not on one but many characters and the storyline," asserts Siddharth.

Naman Shaw, who replaced Jay Bhanushali in Kairi too believes that it's the character that makes a show. "Being in the industry it's really not true that an actor runs the show. It's the show and the character in it that people connect with," states Naman.

Giaa Manek, who touched new heights of popularity with her portrayal of Gopi bahu in Star Plus' Saath Nibhaana Saathiya, had her own share of disagreement with the channel's decision. "See, honestly I am no one to decide whether it's a fair decision. However, if someone wants to leave the show then there would a reason. There are few reasons which actors can't tell media. You cannot blame one person for it," she says. However, recently, when Manek had decided to opt out of the show, she was replaced by Devoleena Bhattacharjee.

Bigg Boss' most popular participant, Dolly Bindra feels that money and glamour of Bollywood is a possible driver for such decisions taken by the younger cluster of actors. "Might be youngsters get good money. When they see glamour, they get confused. However, it's never easy to win the sheen and dimes in films. An actor may have personal issues, but he should never do injustice to his work. It is important to be close to your audiences. Work is work, and should never be seen as small or big."

Deepika Samson, who dons the role of an ideal wife in Sasuraal Simar Ka rebuts the idea totally and feels that an actor is equally attached to his show as anyone else. "The actors are known because of the character they play and with time they develop their own individuality. Actors love their project as anyone else and they don't quit a show just like that," stresses Deepika.

And while the industry still debates the pros and cons of such a decision and the precedence it would set, few actors have written-off ditching their shows midway. Angad Hasija, who essayed the character of Alekh in Bidaai oath to never quit a show which brings fame. "Whatever name and fame I have got, is because of Alekh, my character in Bidaai. One should never quit a show that gave you success as you are not expected to leave anything in midway, no matter what," says Angad.

Shoaib Ibrahim of Sasuraal Simar Ka doubts that he would be able to gain the same amount of fame and love if he ever quits the show. "Actors have to be loyal to the show that they are a part of. People get used to see an actor in a particular character. And once the character is inscribed in their minds, they don't prefer to see anyone else. Audiences are particular about the character as they are attached. They don't expect replacement. It is not necessary that the actor is going to get the fame, affection and love again," emphasises Shoaib.

While the whole industry is debating the contentious decision taken by the broadcaster, the publicity that Barun Sobti has earned from the controversy has left him wonder, "Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?!"
Edited by downandout - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

moniluvskinshuk thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9
Thanks for sharing . 

Actually will not say whether Actor is bigger OR Show is bigger . Both are equally imp for success. If a show is incomplete without actors , Actors too are incomplete without a show . But I would like to add that It's all depends on Situation and events taking place that time . There can be several reasons for a show to get shut or for an Actor leaving a show or retaining it . U can't say they are right or Wrong . After all When a show gets off Neither the channel gets happy not the PH and nor the Actors . No one feels happy by shutting the show .No Actor feels happy by quitting any show . No one intentionally does that .  It's all events Situations which makes them do that . Sometimes it becomes necessary that they have to take that step evenif they don't want it to do it . 
sandiab thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

i think both are equally important at different times though if we take this show as well as sns both show lost important characters/actors of the show but the trps where retained it dnt drop. fans who see this think that the show is still good bt the actually truth is that the audience once they start watching something will stick with it even if their fav are no longer in it coz they are used to watching that show at that particular time. but the trps of these shows never reach the heights that it did with the original cast and this is where i feel that the actor is bigger than the show.

Most of the indian shows have a lot of  young actor and I feel that the indian tv industry needs to change and realise that they would obviously want to experiment, do different roles and shows and they should start catering for this and start having season instant of the actor being forced to work on 1 show only and having no time to do anything else. its ridiculous to expect an actor to be happy doing 1 show for 2/3 years and be happy with it.

I seriously dnt blame an actor when they leave a show coz the audience might love them for years but i think certain times even if a script is good for the show, as an actor the time will when they will feel like they can do nothing more with their character( that is all they can do with it) and they need to do something else even if they are seen as a traitor/disloyal by their fans.

-ParidhiHolic- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Well said..Angad. I personally feel an actor shudnt leave d
show nd if its frst one who gv him
si much.popularity if d actor doesnt hv a solid reason.
CrazyForAshish thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
100% agree with Angad's words. Well said...
ParulRatiShivi thumbnail
Thanks for sharing. 

Every actress or actors in the show are equally important for the success.  A show is incomplete without actress or actors... 
ParulRatiShivi thumbnail

Originally posted by: moniluvskinshuk

Thanks for sharing . 

Actually will not say whether Actor is bigger OR Show is bigger . Both are equally imp for success. If a show is incomplete without actors , Actors too are incomplete without a show . But I would like to add that It's all depends on Situation and events taking place that time . There can be several reasons for a show to get shut or for an Actor leaving a show or retaining it . U can't say they are right or Wrong . After all When a show gets off Neither the channel gets happy not the PH and nor the Actors . No one feels happy by shutting the show .No Actor feels happy by quitting any show . No one intentionally does that .  It's all events Situations which makes them do that . Sometimes it becomes necessary that they have to take that step evenif they don't want it to do it . 

Well said Moni 👏
Edited by CrazyFans1 - 11 years ago
Dilbole_ShiOmRu thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
I completely agree with Moni and Sadia. Being Monotonous never helps an actor to grow and if he really feels there is no more growth in his character then he should be free to leave the show.  
ParulRatiShivi thumbnail
I keep reading people insult actors and actress and there talent i really getting mad for that
sameesam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
im totally agree with u .personally i like and respect both parul and angad ,they didn't left that shw which made them so popular which gave them everythng fame money everythng .