MUHARRAM Thread...Wt Is Muharram=Get IN To Knw

-Liebe- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
WELCOME ALL TO THIS THREAD...

this is to knw wt actually is muharram...and love is beyond everything including caste,religion and color...for this one line only...i created this thread...

now read...

MUHARRAM IS...?

Its muslim's...one...

Lets Wish all Muslims a blessed and peaceful Muharram! 

First lets know about what is MUHARRAM.

What Is MUHARRAM?

Muharram is the first month of the Islamic calendar, It is one of the four sacred months of the year in which fighting is prohibited.Since the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, Muharram moves from year to year when compared with the Gregorian calendar.

Muharram is so called because it is unlawful to fight during this month, the word is derived from the word haraam, meaning "sinful". It is held to be the most sacred of all the months, excluding Ramadan. Some Muslims fast during these days. The 10th day of Muharram (today) is the day of Ashura, which to Shia Muslims is part of the Mourning of Muharram.

What They Do?

Some Muslims fast during this day, because it is recorded in the hadith that Musa (Moses) and his people obtained a victory over the Egyptian Pharaoh on the 10th day of Muharram; accordingly Islamic prophet Muhammad asked Muslims to fast on this day that is Ashura and on a day before that is 9th so that they are not similar to Jews (since, according to him, Jews used to fast for one day due to the same reason, and many practices recorded in the hadith are specifically performed to avoid any apparent similarity to those of contemporary neighbouring Jews and Christians). Many Muslims cook something sweet like sweet rice and distribute it throughout their family and circle of friends to eat when breaking their fast.

Fasting differs among the Muslim groupings; mainstream Shia Muslims stop eating and drinking during sunlight hours and do not eat until late afternoon. Sunni Muslims also fast during Muharram for the first ten days of Muharram, or just the tenth day, or on both the ninth and tenth days; the exact term depending on the individual. Shia Muslims do so to replicate the sufferings of Hussein ibn Ali on the Day of Ashura. Shia Muslims go further in their replication, including self-flagellation.

Mourning Of MUHARRAM

Muharram is a month of remembrance that is often considered synonymous with the event of Ashura. Ashura, which literally means the "Tenth" in Arabic, refers to the tenth day of Muharram. It is well-known because of historical significance and mourning for the martyrdom of Hussein ibn Ali, the grandson of Muhammad.

Shias start the mourning from the 1st night of Muharram and continue for two months and eight days. However the last days are the most important since these were the days where Hussein and his family and followers (consisting of 72 people, including women, children and aged people) were killed by army of Yazid I at the Battle of Karbala on his orders. Surviving members of the family of Hussein and that of his followers were taken captive and marched to Damascus and imprisoned there.

Muharram is also observed by Dawoodi Bohras in the same way as Shias.They practice prayers on the sayings of the present dawah of Bohras, Mohammed Burhanuddin. On the tenth day of Muharrum, they pray for Hussein till the magrib namaz. When the namaz ends, Hussein is considered shahid by Yazid. It is also close to the day of resurrection because it said in a book that this world will one day come to an end on Friday 10th of Muharram. and I'm not sure that we believe as mentioned in the previous two statements. Also no reference or name given of the book mentioned here. from November 2011">

With the sighting of the new moon the Islamic New Year is ushered in. The first month, Muharram is one of the four sacred months that God has mentioned in the Quran.

Islamic events taking place during Muharram

• 01 Muharram: The Islamic New Year.
  • 01 Muharram: Shi'a Muslims begin the Commemoration of Muharram which marks the anniversary of the Battle of Karbala.
  • 01 Muharram: Indonesian Muslims celebrate Satu Suro, a day of meditation for some.
  • 02 Muharram: Death anniversary of Umar ibn al-Khattab, the second Sunni Caliph of the Rashidun Caliphate.
  • 02 Muharram: Hussein ibn Ali enters Karbala and establishes camp. Yazid's forces are present.
  • 07 Muharram: Access to water was banned to Husayn ibn Ali by Yazid's orders.
  • 10 Muharram: Referred to as the Day of Ashurah (lit. "the tenth") was the day on which Hussein ibn Ali was martyred in the Battle of Karbala. Shia Muslims spend the day in mourning, whilst the Sunni Muslims fast on this day commemorating the rescue of the people of Israel by Musa (Moses) from Pharaoh
  • 15 Muharram: Birth of Muhammad Sirajuddin Naqshbandi in 1297 AH (1879-1880 AD)
  • 25 Muharram: Martyrdom of Zayn al-'Abidin, fourth Shia Imam, day of shahid (martyrdom: lit. "witness", as "martyr" is Greek for "witness") in 95 AH (714 AD).
  • 27 Muharram, Mesum was killed.
  • 28 Muharram: Death anniversary Urs of Ashraf Jahangir Semnani in 808 AH (1405 AD) a great Sufi saint in India.
  • Death anniversary Urs of Baba Farid, a great Sufi saint in Pakistan for six days in Muharram.

Some Pictures About MUHARRAM

Azadari procession carried out by Shiite Muslims in Indian city of Hardoi on the Day of Ashura.

Shia Muslims in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania in a Hussainia as part of the commemoration of Muharram

Shia Muslim children in Amroha, India on camels in front of Azakhana as part of the procession commemorating events on & after Day of Ashura

Scenes in the procession at the Mohurrum festival

Fatima ji's words on Muharram...

Muharram is as you said, the start of the Muslim calendar's new year and one of the sacred months.

The day of Ashura was widely believed by the Jews to be the day that Allah saved Prophet Moses and the Bani Israel...by allowing them to cross the red sea safely while Pharoh and his army drowned.  It is a day to give thanks to Allah.

Although today Muharram seems to be associated with so many Shite activities...these are cultural practices by various muslim sects and should not be confused with actual religious practices of Islam... as there is no evidence for them in Quran and Hadith.

The most significant thing about Muharram is the fast on Ashura.  It is one of the most virtuous ones after the fasting in Ramadan.

Although it is common practie to fast on the 9 & 10th or 10 & 11th...to differentiate from the Jewish tradition...one may fast on 9, 10, & 11 as well.

Unlike the one's for Ramadan...fasting in Muharram is entirely optional...but carries great reward in return...that is...the forgiveness of the entire past year's sins.

Allah Ta'ala is indeed merciful on sinners like me

Credit goes to google...

and another who helped me in this thread is superman aka samah aka sambar...without her help it wont possible...

at first i thought its a festival or celebration of muslims...later with her help got to knw...its not...a festival...its a new year for them and also its a sorrow day for them...

thank u sambar for this thread...πŸ€—...πŸ€—...

NOTE:  Its not  a festival or celebration...dnt wish happy muharram...

wish for their happiness...

IMP:: Second Celebration Thread after Diwali Celebration thread is Chritmas and New Year Celebration Thread...U all can Wish in that thread...but it need time to take for for that thread...if any of u wish that thread to post any different manner...kindly pm me reg that...

give ur ideas also...its all our thread only...so feel free to pm me the ideas...

Edited by udnis - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Ayeshi- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks Sindu...!!! I am Muslim but didn't know that vast information about Muharram...!!! Thanks for that...!!! And also our kiddo Sambar...!!!
But I didn't understand ur imp notice...!!!
-Liebe- thumbnail

Originally posted by: ayeshi_101

Thanks Sindu...!!! I am Muslim but didn't know that vast information about Muharram...!!! Thanks for that...!!! And also our kiddo Sambar...!!!
But I didn't understand ur imp notice...!!!

welcome shirin...😳...aab bi na......its bcz of sambar only i too knw abt wt actually is muharram...

first i created celebration thread for festival is diwali celebs thread na...then for christmas and new year is actually sec0nd celeba thread k...for that if u have any idea...please pm me...k...no i am tired...
Fizak thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
thanks sindu & sambar for the informative thread πŸ‘πŸΌ β­οΈ
sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for this info sindhu .
farhana874 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
May Almighty bless us all!

Thanks for the thread Sindu!
Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Thanks for the thread Udnis. πŸ˜›

Muharram is as you said, the start of the Muslim calendar's new year and one of the sacred months.

The day of Ashura was widely believed by the Jews to be the day that Allah saved Prophet Moses and the Bani Israel...by allowing them to cross the red sea safely while Pharoh and his army drowned.  It is a day to give thanks to Allah.

Although today Muharram seems to be associated with so many Shite activities...these are cultural practices by various muslim sects and should not be confused with actual religious practices of Islam... as there is no evidence for them in Quran and Hadith.

The most significant thing about Muharram is the fast on Ashura.  It is one of the most virtuous ones after the fasting in Ramadan.

Although it is common practie to fast on the 9 & 10th or 10 & 11th...to differentiate from the Jewish tradition...one may fast on 9, 10, & 11 as well.

Unlike the one's for Ramadan...fasting in Muharram is entirely optional...but carries great reward in return...that is...the forgiveness of the entire past year's sins.

Allah Ta'ala is indeed merciful on sinners like me. 😊

Edited by ummesulaiman - 11 years ago
SwerveBae thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: ummesulaiman

The day of Ashura was widely believed by the Jews to be the day that Allah saves Prophet Moses and the Bani Israel...by allowing them to cross the red sea safely while Pharoh and his army drowned.  It is a day to give thanks to Allah.

Although today Muharram seems to be associated with so many Shite activities...none of which have basis in Quran or Hadith...the real significance is that the fast on Ashura is one of the most virtious ones after the fasting in Ramadan.

its not important to fast 9th or 11th. but, to fast the 10th of Muharram, is important. its today Muhammad (SAW) 's grandchildren got killed by non-believers. and its told that he used to fast this day.
Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Superman.

its not important to fast 9th or 11th. but, to fast the 10th of Muharram, is important. its today Muhammad (SAW) 's grandchildren got killed by non-believers. and its told that he used to fast this day.

You're right the fast of Ashura is the significant one...but the Prophet (SAW) did not fast on this day alone.  Check the hadith...He (PBUH) recommended fasting on the other days to differentiate from the jews.

But the Prophet (SAW) didn't fast on these days because his grandchildren were killed on this day.  That happened much later after his death...and carries no religious significance...in terms of praticing Islam

If you know Islamic history...you'll acknowledge that a lot of sahaba were killed by the Kuffaar while fighting for Isalm...everyone's sacrifice is important in the eyes of Allah.  But we fast for the forgiveness of sins...not for the remembrance of anyone's death. 
Edited by ummesulaiman - 11 years ago
-Liebe- thumbnail

Originally posted by: ummesulaiman

welcomeπŸ˜ƒ...fatima ji...ur name is fatima na?...thank u for additional info. abt muharram...shall i add it in first page😳...sure allah will bless u...and dnt worry...alllah  merciful to all...