My take on Sandhya's silence.

UMDU thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Yesterday I took out a thread on Sandhya and Bhabo and many youngsters in the forum did not agree with me that financial aspect could be one of the reasons behind Sandhya's submissiveness.When  we both argued vehemently to prove we were right my mind started stirring in that direction. I kept trying to understand why a girl who stands up against any wrong doing does not fight for her rights and submits meekly to Bhabo's dikaits without protest. Why have the CVs made such a paradoxical character who is a totally different Sandhya outside the house and a bheegi billi at home. Than I understood why such a character has been created which makes the blood of viewers boil at her helplessness and tolerance to humiliation.  
             Star Plus channel wants to bring in Nayi Soch. They want to make a change in the way traditional societies view such things. That is hardly likely to happen if Sandhya rebels against the system and walks out to pursue her dreams. The audience will treat her as a rebel who defied the established system. Their way of viewing such issues will remain the same as Indians by nature do not take kindly to rebellion..  Consider the opposite scenario. Sandhya stays on and within the system with its full approval pursues IPS. That to a traditional viewer  will be not only acceptable but also thought provoking. He will start thinking if the Rathis have accepted such a revolutionary idea there must be some merit to it. Star Plus wants to create 1000s of Sandhyas not just one who revolted and walked away. They want to bring about a change in the Indian psyche in  the way they view things.Nayi soch ki boond nahi, nayi soch ki lehar they want to bring. Not a drop but a wave. Temporarily Sandhya's pain may cause us heart break but in the long run it will make a remarkable change. They say' WITHOUT PAIN NO GAIN'  and that applies to the situation perfectly.
           I can give you an example from  Indian history. Mahatma Gandhi led a peaceful non violent agitation against the British and talked to them and tried to reason with them to give us independence. On the other hand Bhagat singh, Sukhdev ,Batukeshwar Dutt were revolutionaries who believed that by bombing and terrorizing the British they could compel them to leave. They also sacrificed their life for the nation, but it is Mahatma Gandhi who is more remembered than the revolutionaries. The point I am trying to hammer here is a revolt may raise eyebrows for the time being but does not have the level of impact patience and remaining within the system and fighting have. That is what they have tried to show through Sandhya's character. Remaining within the Rathi household SurYa will be shown changing the way people view gender equality not only in Hanuman Gali but the whole of India gradually. Sandhya has no alternative but to bear the emotional torture in the hands of her MIL because that alone can not only gain sympathy for her from the viewers  but show her slowly changing the system from within. Moving out changes her life remaining within changes the life of 1000s
            Hats off to the CVs of DABH for such a far sighted approach. It is Nayi Soch ki Nayi lehar not a ripple but a wave spreading far and wide that is what Star Plus aims to achieve and they will by God's grace.  My special thanks to my dear betis Ami and Farhana for clearing my perspectives on things.
Edited by UMDU - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Liebe- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
ma ji...i read ur last post...and even all comments...but i am not in the mood to reply as i want some tension free mind to reply ur thread...as i was busy in making of one new thread...sorry for that..its not big thing i am asking sorry...but i am ur regular follower...but something insist me to ask...

and abt ur today.s topic...sandhya's silence is not only her's its the silence of the women in the society...and the dabh just shows us..many nayi soch things to us...this also one of it...

i respect the views of silence u wrote here with ex...is the  best ex for the person who thinks silence is ðŸ¤¬...

i personally believe that silence can make anything possible from impossible...
Deebz thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Umdu, I respect your creative thinking on the subject of Sandy's silence. 

Personally, I feel that Sandy has given in to Bhabo as of now. Mahatma Gandhi rebelled  fiercely but non violently. There were massive protests, marches, non cooperation, rallying the masses and more done to provoke the British. Sandy has not started the fight yet. Sheis believing that her dream has no place in Rathi parivaar.

She did try to appeal to Bhabo by telling her how precious the books were to her and how her academic achievement was more valuable than money or gold to her. That fell on to Bhabo's deaf ears. But Suraj heard her loud and clear.

This show is as much about a girl who dares to dream as it is about the man who stands behind her. The Cvs may be trying to reach men like Suraj to stand up for what is right even if it means going against the mother. Men find it very difficult to go against their mothers, even educated ones. By showing Bhabo unreasonable and Sandhya docile, garnering pity, Cvs may be generating support for Suraj from the male audience.

Sandhya is otherwise shown inspirational. Her being quiet now is a lesson in itself too that some fights need an ally in order to win..Even Gandhi won by having public support. 

Edited by Deebz - 11 years ago
MisscoolEyes thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Umdu aunty, I agree with a lot of points you made here. You have given some commendable reasons as to why Sandhya is being portrayed the way she is portrayed.

But,I guess, I can give a few other reasons too. What ever heroics Sandhya portrays, we easily forget one point that She is still a 19 yr old girl from a relatively small town like Pushkar. She has never been out there completely in the "real world". Even though she was allowed to dream and think, she was still under the caring shelter of her parents before and Sooraj now.Any such girl who has lost her parents not even a year back, was despised by her brother and then came into a family of strangers would be naturally confused over a lot of things.She's prone to mistakes.she's prone to be influenced by people around  her,most importantly she's still a young girl, i mean a really young girl(According to me,only a complete education and a taste of the world outside through job is what makes a girl or even a man for that matter independent enough and strong and confident enough to think properly). She's someone who has always believed in the system of family.Though she has voiced out previously against some issues,she has shown her weakness to break-down and suffer when she's made to feel that things are going wrong because of her.

The same thing is happening now too. Bhabo is making Sandhya feel that her family might be in trouble because of Sandhya.And Sandhya is not experienced enough or mature enough to prove Bhabo wrong and she is not a evil witch to plot against Bhabo and influence Sooraj.And on the other hand,she knows that her dream is going to be a dream forever and there is that pain..Confusion,pain,sorrow,the fear of losing dear-ones again..a combination of this is making Sandhya emotionally crippled.
peachesandcream thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I agree with what you have said.  what better way to show change then to show a character that embodies the old desired values and behaviours and to show this same characater as capable of progressive action.  The audience is more accepting of change when they see it in someone familiar and who they can accept.

Having said this, to me,  Sandhya accepting Babho's request is not really out of character.  This is a girl who is willing to stand up for what is right and run with a bomb if it means saving others.  For her to give up her dream to keep the unity of her husband's family and the family she has accepted fully as her own is not so strange.  What may appear as her weakness in her inability to stand up against Babho may be reflective of her strength.  She is again doing what she thinks will be better for all. Sandhya is not selfish and thinks of others before herself.  This gives Suraj an opportunity to show change and be an example also.
UMDU thumbnail

Originally posted by: Deebz

Umdu, I respect your creative thinking on the subject of Sandy's silence. 

Personally, I feel that Sandy has given in to Bhabo as of now. Mahatma Gandhi rebelled  fiercely but non violently. There were massive protests, marches, non cooperation, rallying the masses and more done to provoke the British. Sandy has not started the fight yet. Sheis believing that her dream has no place in Rathi parivaar.

She did try to appeal to Bhabo by telling her how precious the books were to her and how her academic achievement was more valuable than money or gold to her. That fell on to Bhabo's deaf ears. But Suraj heard her loud and clear.

This show is as much about a girl who dares to dream as it is about the man who stands behind her. The Cvs may be trying to reach men like Suraj to stand up for what is right even if it means going against the mother. Men find it very difficult to go against their mothers, even educated ones. By showing Bhabo unreasonable and Sandhya docile, garnering pity, Cvs may be generating support for Suraj from the male audience.

Sandhya is otherwise shown inspirational. Her being quiet now is a lesson in itself too that some fights need an ally in order to win..Even Gandhi won by having public support. 

Thank you so much for your inputs Deebz. I agree Gandhi did protest albeit nonviolently and even failed to uphold that principle in  the Quit India movement which turned violent subsequently  but here any protest they show will  show her being thrown out of the house. In Gandhi's case my example was to emphasise the point that the Congress did try to join the system by contesting elections in the  1930s and trying to bring change from within.  The revolutionaries did not. Changing the system from within was why I took the example from Indian history.Gandhi could not be thrown out from the country if he protested but Sandhya can be. An aggressive Sandhya will make the audience more regressive. In a male dominated society like ours it will be more acceptable to the audience if they show a supportive husband rather than her standing up and fighting alone. That will happen after this has been achieved. We have to move this psychological battle for gender equality stage by stage. A revolt by Sandhya would mean you are missing step 1 and moving to 2 which the traditional Indian psyche will immediately reject and find it  unacceptable. Star Plus has judged the background of the majority of viewers and made a serial to gradually push them into thinking what 20 yrs back would have been considered a sacrilege. We all want to see Sandhya stand for herself but that cannot be shown in a country where 65% of the people live in villages. They have to prepare them for the idea and than show the rise of woman power eventually. The difference between Gandhi and other national leaders was that he was able to mobilise the masses all over the country  to support him while other leaders had limited support in pockets. In DABH it is mass mobilisation for gender equality  they are aiming for not the limited support of educated urban elite who are already progressive in thinking. They don't need to change. It is the teaming majority which has to change and that is the target of Star Plus. Edited by UMDU - 11 years ago
UMDU thumbnail

Originally posted by: peachesandcream

I agree with what you have said.  what better way to show change then to show a character that embodies the old desired values and behaviours and to show this same characater as capable of progressive action.  The audience is more accepting of change when they see it in someone familiar and who they can accept.

Having said this, to me,  Sandhya accepting Babho's request is not really out of character.  This is a girl who is willing to stand up for what is right and run with a bomb if it means saving others.  For her to give up her dream to keep the unity of her husband's family and the family she has accepted fully as her own is not so strange.  What may appear as her weakness in her inability to stand up against Babho may be reflective of her strength.  She is again doing what she thinks will be better for all. Sandhya is not selfish and thinks of others before herself.  This gives Suraj an opportunity to show change and be an example also.

Thank you so much for your inputs. I agree  with you totally why Sandhya has been putting up with a lot and her sentiment to put the interests of others before her. My thread was aiming to explain why her character has been shaped in such a way.What were the compelling reasons behind  shaping Sandhya's character like this.
UMDU thumbnail

Originally posted by: MisscoolEyes

Umdu aunty, I agree with a lot of points you made here. You have given some commendable reasons as to why Sandhya is being portrayed the way she is portrayed.

But,I guess, I can give a few other reasons too. What ever heroics Sandhya portrays, we easily forget one point that She is still a 19 yr old girl from a relatively small town like Pushkar. She has never been out there completely in the "real world". Even though she was allowed to dream and think, she was still under the caring shelter of her parents before and Sooraj now.Any such girl who has lost her parents not even a year back, was despised by her brother and then came into a family of strangers would be naturally confused over a lot of things.She's prone to mistakes.she's prone to be influenced by people around  her,most importantly she's still a young girl, i mean a really young girl(According to me,only a complete education and a taste of the world outside through job is what makes a girl or even a man for that matter independent enough and strong and confident enough to think properly). She's someone who has always believed in the system of family.Though she has voiced out previously against some issues,she has shown her weakness to break-down and suffer when she's made to feel that things are going wrong because of her.

The same thing is happening now too. Bhabo is making Sandhya feel that her family might be in trouble because of Sandhya.And Sandhya is not experienced enough or mature enough to prove Bhabo wrong and she is not a evil witch to plot against Bhabo and influence Sooraj.And on the other hand,she knows that her dream is going to be a dream forever and there is that pain..Confusion,pain,sorrow,the fear of losing dear-ones again..a combination of this is making Sandhya emotionally crippled.

Thank you so much for your inputs. I agree with all that you have said. No doubt that Sandhya is very young and unfamiliar with the ways of the world. My thread was an attempt to see why Sandhya's character has been created the way it has been by the CVs. The long term goal behind such a character creation.
UMDU thumbnail

Originally posted by: udnis

ma ji...i read ur last post...and even all comments...but i am not in the mood to reply as i want some tension free mind to reply ur thread...as i was busy in making of one new thread...sorry for that..its not big thing i am asking sorry...but i am ur regular follower...but something insist me to ask...

and abt ur today.s topic...sandhya's silence is not only her's its the silence of the women in the society...and the dabh just shows us..many nayi soch things to us...this also one of it...

i respect the views of silence u wrote here with ex...is the  best ex for the person who thinks silence is ðŸ¤¬...

i personally believe that silence can make anything possible from impossible...

Dear dear Sindhu ,I am really touched as normally when ever I have taken out a thread you are among the first to encourage me. I have to thank you from the bottom of my heart for that. I totally agree with you silence is golden.
Juna04 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: MisscoolEyes

UMDU agree with your post and Naina regarding your post also...

Both UMDU and Naina your analysis are very valid and does explain the silence of Sandhya.
She needs to trust and confide more in her husband but she could not do that because Bhabho wants her to dissuade Suraj from pursuing with her dream Mission,

That is why I am glad that Suraj now knows the reason for Sandhya's sudden change in manner and He will need to convince Sandhya now with a very reasonable argument that she needs to show courage and determination in fulfilling her dream.   I am sure once she is convinced with Suraj's reasoning she will work with him and they will support each other in reaching their goal.