WU: 22nd July Water - Every drop counts

.dream-catcher. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
After air, the next most vital thing for our survival is water. While at the moment we have enough water for our needs, a time is likely to come when our water supply runs out and we have to buy water at a price similar to fuel. The solution, which some people have implemented, is to save and store rainwater

In many places, wells are nearly dry, people have to carry water for miles, and battles break out over tanker rights. Water scarcity has led to people defending their store of the precious liquid with weapons, and agitations over water have led to people being injured and even killed.

In India we revere our rivers and consider them capable of great powers such as washing away our sins. But, in the name of this purification, we have ended up turning water bodies into nothing but garbage receptacles. From bodies to ashes to medical waste, everything ends up in the water, poisoning both the rivers and ourselves.

In the audience are people from different parts of the country who have understood the value of water and have begun conserving and harvesting it. One of them is Hanumant Kendre, who comes from Nagdarwadi, which has overcome water problems through natural means. By following this example, the whole of India can rid itself of the crippling burden of water scarcity.

For those living in cities, the only solution to water woes seems to be bringing it from outside. But let us not forget that the greatest bounty comes straight down to us from the sky -- the rain, which, if properly harvested and stored, can alleviate water problems to a great degree.

Water is vital for life, and yet we have been squandering it without thinking, without realizing its value. We need to urgently take steps so as to reverse the damage done, and start conserving this precious natural resource, in order to safeguard our own future and well-being, before it is too late.

Is there enough water? India is a water adequate country but we are in danger of our water supply running out if we don't take precautions.

All over India, women walk thousands of kilometres every year to fetch the family's daily water needs.

When the tanker arrives in a water-deprived area, it's a free-for-all, and may the strongest win. Sometimes, it's a battle which leaves casualties

Even when a boy was killed during the tanker melee in his village, people did not realize what had appened... until the water began to turn red.

Daily life is dictated by the tanker's arrival -- even funerals and weddings

We need to realize that water is a finite resource, and give it the respect it deserves in that light, starting today, says Manoj Mishra.

Under the sarpanch's leadership, this village harvest rainwater to put an end to their water woes once and for all.

Justice, How a modern housing society in Mumbai is using rainwater and saving on their water bills.

Navin Chandra says that because of rainwater harvesting in his society, there is no fear of water shortage even if there is a fall in the Mumbai supply.

Santha Sheela Nair tells us about the wacky way the Tamil Nadu government ensured that everyone in Chennai carried out rainwaterharvesting -- and the city was saved.

India is a land of beautiful rivers but the way we treat them is a matter of shame

This episode's SMS question is: Will you make an effort to start harvesting rainwater wherever you live, from today?

P.S.  Am sorry for being late. I almost forgot that I have to the Written Update and I even missed the show. today I saw and then did this. Hope its satisfying.
Thank You 
Edited by --Pooja- - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rach. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thank you for your commitment and all the effort that you put in. 

Hugs

🤗
monikameghan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanks for the wonderful update.  I had seen the episode yesterday.  Really an eye opener.  I already started saving water and prevented even my children from wasting lot of water.
Mockingjay1 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I'm glad Amir showed this issue because as he mentioned, there will be wars on water, and it's not gonna be pretty. 

Water is the elixir of life, also known as Blue Gold. It's better if we start saving right now, instead of waiting till the end. 

One thing I wish he had mentioned is desalination. This has been started in several countries as well as India. 

bewafa thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I really like your written updates. They are always very well written!
sweetinfusion thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing as always.