WU-Old Age:Sunset Years, Sunshine Life 15th July

.dream-catcher. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
Our parents are the ones who have brought us up and made us what we are. At least
out of consideration for that much, we should be good and kind towards them. But countless people all over India don't think so, going by the numbers of abandoned old people taken in at old age homes. Then there are some older people who take matters into their own hands -- be it romance or adventure sport.

The hallmark of Indian culture is our respectful attitude towards our elders, and the practice of more than one generation living together. But in reality, today countless old people are shunned by their children, left penniless and homeless and have to depend on charity.

Journalist Pramila Krishnan was shocked when she heard about the practice called thalaikoothal in Tamil Nadu, in which family members do away with elderly relatives whom they can no longer look after.

Leina and Jaywant Joshi decided not to let loneliness get the upper hand, and through a newspaper advertisement, met each other and have been happily married for several years now. In order to combat loneliness, older people have also started to enter into live-in relationships.

Shailesh Misra of Silver Innings says that he has seen men and women of all ages, from 40 to 70, determined not to be sedentary. They adopt the slogan of 'Rewired, Not Retired" and set out to prove it.

It is tragic that children, once grown up and having been
taken care of and brought up by their parents, turn on those same parents and treat them like less than human beings. The fact is that old people are not a liability but an asset; old age is not the end of life but the beginning of a new phase for them.

Rejected by their children and families, 15,000 old widows in Vrindavan depend on charity.Mothers who have no money or property to their name find there is no place for them in their children's home, says Winnie Singh of Maitri India.Her bag is packed and ready to go when her son comes to fetch her -- but he is in the US and he never turns up, says Mangesh Abhang, who works at an old age home in Gorai, Mumbai.

Ashok Devre Patil who runs an old age home says children literally abandon their parents in public places, and won't even turn up for their last rites.Pramila Krishnan reports on her gruesome discovery, when she found that people in Tamil Nadu were using "traditional" methods of killing parents they could no longer look after.Himanshu Rath of Agewell Foundation says that modern life is so fast-paced, people are burdened with responsibilities and cannot look after their parents even if they want to.

After his wife had passed away, Jayant Joshi took his children's advice and placed an ad -- and the first response was from Leina. The two are happily married.Natubhai Patel says that in order to avoid any disputes over rights or property, and ad the same time provide companionship, a live-in relationship is the best solution, specially since the Supreme Court has recognized it as a valid union.

Shailesh Mishra of Silver Innings says many older people are not willing to lead edentary lives, and prefer to stay active and energetic.Narayan Mahajan thumbs his nose at age, as he rappels from hilltop to hilltop without assistance, putting many a youngster to shame.

This week's SMS question is: Do you love your parents as much as they love you?
Edited by --Pooja- - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

minihussain thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
thanks for the WU...was waiting for it as i could not see the episode.
bhavis thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
I would not say that this episode was the eyeopener. Since i have been visiting so many vrudhashram in India i knew the reality.  The irony of the country where we believe in the slogan
"Matrudevo bhava" or "Pitrudevo bhava", forget considering them as Gods, they are not considered as a human. 

Killing of parents in small part of the country shows that we have now crossed all the limits of telling our selves humans. 

In school we read a story of a ruler who told every one that they have to kill their parents once they reach certain age. But there was this one young guy who did not kill his parents because he thought that this is not fair. In fear of the ruler he asked them to live in the basement. To everyone's surprise they came as saviour to the whole kingdom when there was a famine and they found the way out due to their experience.  After this the king realized his mistake and then took his words back. 

I am surprised that there is no such brave soul in that community who can go against this ritual. 

This show did portray every aspect of the final age except they did not show a single family where the parents and grand parents still live together with the same respect.  Why would those son/daughters not given an applause for doing their duty rightfully and respectfully.
Rach. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks a Pooja !  Must give you credit for your fine job 👍🏼
mjht_one thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
thanks for the update pooja
you know the dadis that came at the end my nanaji knows their family:)
.dream-catcher. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: mjht_one

thanks for the update pooja

you know the dadis that came at the end my nanaji knows their family:)

Saachi me? and tunne thanks bola mujhe???? hmphhh