WU:SMJ-8th July-Untouchability - Dignity for All

.dream-catcher. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago

For a country which has been independent for 65 years, it is a matter of shame that we have not yet shaken off the tyranny of caste-based discrimination. Countless people have to live in degrading conditions, children are unable to go to school, employment avenues are closed, and even education does not open bigoted minds.

As vital to our existence as air, water and food, is our dignity. Yet, in India, crores of people are forced to live stripped of this very dignity. Why is this so?

Many people think that with the spread of education and awareness, untouchability has disappeared from India. But the truth is very far from this.

Justice Chandrashekhar Dharmadhikari says that the labels we use to identify ourselves often obscure our real identity. And in India, the labels of caste and community are so hard to shake off that they remain even after death.

Sixty-five years after Independence and with the country having made great strides in all fields, it is a matter of abject shame that manual scavenging and cleaning of night soil is still carried out very widely.

Left to themselves, children don't recognize differences among themselves, and they mix with one another naturally. Caste discrimination can be eradicated if we stop teaching it to our children.

Dr Kaushal Panwar recalls how the simple act of drinking water was the most difficult obstacle to overcome in her school days. Dr Kaushal Panwar's father was the pillar of her life, and the only reason she forged on despite all the difficulties life threw in her way.

Despite being a member of Parliament, and chairman of the National Commission for Scheduled Castes, P L Punia was barred from entering a temple because of his caste.

If you are from a scheduled caste, says Stalin K, there is no way you cannot know it. Someone somewhere will definitely have made you aware of it.

How to break the barriers of caste... start talking about it, recommends Stalin K.

Caste is a label that does not leave us even after death, says Justice Chandrashekhar Dharmadhikari

Justice Dharmadhikari says that because he refuses to accept caste differences, he is treated differently in his own community.

Justice Dharmadhikari explains that there is no difference between human beings when it comes to blood -- hence caste is an artificial creation and has no place in our lives.

Bezwada Wilson refused to compromise on his dignity and walked out of the Employment Exchange.

Bezwada Wilson was shocked when he saw what work manual scavengers had to do, and vowed that he would work to eradicate the practice.

Justice Dharmadhikari urges youngsters to stand firm on their principles, and says "Fear is the dark room where only negatives are developed."

Justice Chandrashekhar Dharmadhikari demolishes notions of community and identification, and says these labels are what create and deepen differences between us.

This episode's SMS question is: Do we wish to see an immediate end to the practice of manual scavenging, or cleaning of others' excreta by hand?

P.S. Sorry for being late as I said, but from next week it would be on time.And yah I watched episode in bits so its in a correct manner I wrote according to what I saw.Every Detail is mentioned but either early or later.

Edited by --Pooja- - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bewafa thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Your update = awesome!

Might I say...so are your IPKKND signatures ;) 😆
Edited by bewafa - 11 years ago
..neelanjana thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Thnx for sharing...
I like today's episode...
.dream-catcher. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: bewafa

Your update = awesome!

Might I say...so are your IPKKND signatures ;) 😆

awww thankuuu so much!! How i love IPKKND but lets not talk abt here or Mods will sew me hehhehe
minihussain thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
WOW! the episode made me cry thinking about how unfair these people are being treated...and i can't believe its in a religion!
IPSO_FACTO thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
thank you for the written update.
padma_17 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
thanks a lot for the update...
still these things r followed is sumthng of grt worry...

Rach. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thank you the update. I know Im quite late, lol. Great job. Appreciate your efforts 🤗 
Fallen-Angel thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Loved this episode!! 👏👏

Thnx for the WU!!
mnayar thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: minihussain

WOW! the episode made me cry thinking about how unfair these people are being treated...and i can't believe its in a religion!

its not in the religion...its in stupid people's head...the caste system in religion was based on dif criteria...however...people now a days think they are very educated and think that they know wat religion wants to preach them...these stupid head morons...dont know that religion or god never discriminates among people...coz everyone is a child of god and god is in everyone so how can god differentiate among its own children