Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Qwest thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Legend and protg in Bihugeet blitz

By A staff reporter

Guwahati, Dec. 5: Two of Assam's adored singer-composers, one a legend and the other aspiring to be one, today came together to compliment one another in the best manner possible.

Zubeen Garg released an album of Bihugeet by Bhupen Hazarika under a mellow December sun and the maestro, in turn, introduced a new compilation of Bihu songs by the young singer-composer.

Zubeen releasing Hazarika's album, titled Rongmon, was significant in more ways than one. First, because Hazarika had recorded an album of Bihu songs after a gap of two decades. Second, it was the first instance of the maestro sharing the stage with his favourite young artiste for an occasion as simple as a cassette release.

Visibly happy, the legend said: "Recording Bihugeet after two decades...it was like going back to my youth. I was so enthused that I tried my best to sing like a youth."

Zubeen's emotional statement after he released Hazarika's album spoke volumes of his respect for the legend. "I am touched. It is inspiring that I have been bestowed with the honour of releasing an album by one of the living legends of Assamese culture," he said.

After the release of Rongmon, Hazarika returned the favour by releasing Anjana, a compilation of Bihu songs by Zubeen. "I am happy that creative non-film songs are creating a market here. It bodes well for the music industry. I also hope Zubeen will keep up the good work," Hazarika said, patting the singer on the head in a gesture of blessing.

"Times have changed. Once upon a time, the popularity of a cassette was judged on the basis of the units sold in the city markets. Now we want to know how many have been sold at Jakhalabandha or Palashbari."

Rongmon, which hit the shelves two days before its formal release, is already shaping up as the season's bestseller. "It has sold 40,000 copies in just two days. The projected sales are above a lakh," a spokesperson for N.K. Productions, which produced both albums and organised the event here, said.

Hazarika said he was happy to have ended his barren spell as far as Bihugeet is concerned. "I was singing various music compositions through these years, but somehow did not get around to compiling a collection of Bihugeet," the winner of the Dada Saheb Phalke Award said.

Both Rongmon and Anjana contain songs composed by upcoming music director Manas Robin. Janmoni-Volume 4, an album of Bihu songs composed by Biman Barua and sung by various artistes, was released at the same function

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago
Qwest thumbnail

Midas touch - Album review

By Rong Sarmah

The story of a young man who fails to marry his sweetheart because of caste, class and economic hardships is not new in Bihu lyrics. But the age-old theme becomes absolutely refreshing when Bhupen Hazarika sings the numbers. One is mesmerised by Hazarika's immaculate rendition of the husuri ("You did not invite me to the annual family dinner at your place last month, neither was I offered the delicious pitha that you had prepared the other day. And today how could I accept a Bihu gift from your lovely daughter for whom you may have secretly chosen someone else?")

Rongmon, an album of eight enchanting Bihu numbers, clearly depicts Hazarika's unequalled command over folk music. Hazarika has released an album of Bihu songs after two decades.

Besides new enchanting numbers like Kakdongar Borali, Ki Sai Asa and Sangor Chira Pitha, Moina Jaan Moinajaan — one of the haunting melodies of Hazarika's younger days — has been presented here with a different musical flavour. This evokes nostalgia among music lovers.

Music director Manas Robin and co-singer Sangeeta Barthakur also deserve kudos for such an enchanting album.

Folk in a new garb

There is no denying the fact that Zubeen Garg, the most popular of new generation singers, has established his brilliance in folk music also. Most of his albums of folk music — be it Tokari Geet, Desh Visaror Geet or Bihu — have been complete sell-outs.

His latest album, Anjana, bears the same quality at least as far as uniqueness in tune and Zubeen's rendition is concerned. Zubeen has experimented with lyrics while bringing in urban metaphorical elements. But there is no exaggeration in this endeavour.

Music director Manas Robin has excelled in his effort to bring novelty within the very limited tune structure of Bihu numbers. While all the numbers are refreshing and melodious, mention must be made of Hahe Bahe, Hoine Bulu, Ei Beli Joladoi and Pithire Ghamusi, especially the last two numbers.

Zubeen's expertise has been complemented by co-singers Barnali Kalita and Nirmali Das. Come April, music lovers of Assam will have two enchanting Bihu albums to celebrate Rongali Bihu with.

Qwest thumbnail
Music Details and Reviews
Music Name:   Brides Wanted
Voice:   Zubeen Garg
Music By:    Ranjit Barot
Date of Release:   Jun 18, 2005
Generally one sees a trend that offbeat films with unique titles have ' zara hatke ' music - examples ' Rules – Pyaar Ka Superhit Formula', 'Monsoon Wedding', 'The Perfect Husband ' etc. One expects the same from ' Brides Wanted ' that stars Anuj Sawhney ( Nayee Padosan, Naina ) in the lead role with Waheeda Rehman and Girish Karnad forming the supporting cast. A bilingual feel-good comedy about an NRI searching for a bride, ' Brides Wanted ' is director Girish Acharya's debut venture that has music by Ranjit Barot.

While one expected a soothing track to begin the album, it starts on a rather unexpected note with a peppy fusion track ' Payal Ki Chham Chham ' that is a ' shaadi-byaah ' track with good foot tapping rhythm. Lyrics by Dev Kohli are a mix of Hindi and Punjabi that are different from the routine. Sung well by Zubeen Garg, special mention should also be made for the male and female chorus that get the celebrations mood running. A soothing melodious track does come up next as ' Yeh Kya Ho Gaya ' by ever-romantic Shaan who does succeed in making you go all lovey-dovey. Arrangements are quite and smooth that makes you 'hear' the song more closely. Mehboob lyrics are simple but quite effective. A number to be gifted to your beloved, it should be on the publicity promos pretty soon! Shaan gets to sing such a short'n'sweet romantic melody solo after quite a few weeks.

Rap'n'reggae forms the basis for Kunal Ganjawala's ' Socho Zara Socho Tum ' that has a jazzy feel to it. Second song in succession that is easy to ears, it is again youthful and is about the importance of finding your better half. English version of the same track (written by Ravi Khote and Ranjit Barot) appears as ' Wakeup ' with again Kunal Ganjawala at the helm. Ranjit Barot's music is quite likeable by this time and one starts expecting a good time pass album for the youth from hereon.

Caralisa Monteiro, whose 2 tracks from ' Dus ' recently got noticed, has another English number to her credit as ' Ran Away '. A 'pucca' MTVish brand of song written by Ranjit Barot, it is quite a perfect rendition by Caralisa who could make waves on English pop music circuits from hereon given the right breaks. The song though is situational and one waits to watch it on the screen.

Nandini Srikar, another talented singer who partnered Caralisa on one of the tracks of 'Dus', writes and sings ' Chalte Chalte '. A soft Indi-pop track, it has an undercurrent sad emotion running throughout its duration. Lyrics are more of poetry rather than going the conventional Bollywood way while Nandini's singing and Ranjit Barot's music arrangements make ' Chalte Chalte ' yet another track that deserves a repeat listening. Same music is the base for the English track ' I Have Come Alive ' by yet another talented singer Dominique Cerejo. Flawless again (like all the other singers in the album), she has a perfect accent for an English song and delivers goods.

Upcoming singer Suraj Jagan sings another song belonging to the Indi-pop genre ' Zindagi ' written by Mehboob. Yet another song about 'life', it is faster than ' Chalte Chalte ' and is a quick food for thought! The track that should be picked up by the age group of 15-30 years, it is a step forward for Bollywood as it is genuinely 'different'. Ranjit Barot is all by himself in the concluding track of the album ' Paradise ' that is an English version of ' Zindagi ' and is sung, written and composed by him. Yes, it has an appeal primarily for the urban audience but at least it breaks away from something tried and tested.

If you have been looking out for some pleasant sounding, likeable, non-Bollywood'ish', different soundtrack, 'Brides Wanted' is for you. As expected earlier at the beginning of the album, 'Brides Wanted' does have a genuinely 'hatke' music that may not be seen sky-rocketing the music charts from day one. But amongst the niche audience, it should garner good word of mouth especially amongst the youth brigade. An album for an urban audience, it strikes the right chord. Now what is required is some publicity around the album that should get both the movie and the music some visibility so that it doesn't go the same way as 'The Perfect Husband' went in 2004.
Source : indiafm.com
advil thumbnail

I still haven't heard the song but the article was a good read.

Thank you Qwestda.

leoni thumbnail

Qwestji I have no words to praise u for sending all these wonderful clippings plus web links of Zubeen Garg …All the informations sent by u were just superb……Thnx Qwestji and I will also like to thnx all the others members who posted different web links of Zubeen Garg. 👏
pradip200 thumbnail
Friends know more about Zubeen Here----

http://guwahatitoday.com/music/zubin/zubin_main.html
pradip200 thumbnail
Friends know more about Zubeen Here----

http://guwahatitoday.com/music/zubin/zubin_main.html
Qwest thumbnail
He shot into fame with the foot-tapping Bollywood chartbuster "Ya Ali". And now, Zubeen Garg, the singer-composer from Assam, is flooded with offers, including Feroz Khan's remake of his 1980s action-thriller "Qurbani".

"I have just finished singing two songs for 'Qurbani II'," says Zubeen.

"I am excited at the success of 'Ya Ali'. It was a wonderful song by Pritam (the music director)," Zubeen told IANS over phone from his adopted home Mumbai, where he owns a studio, Sound & Silence.

Ya Ali Reham Ali

ya ali reham ali
ya ali yaar pe qurbaan hai sabhi
ya ali madad ali
ya ali yeh meri jaan yeh meri zindagi
ishq pe mita doon luta doon
main apani khudi
yaar pe haan luta doon mita doon
main yeh hasti
ya ali reham ali
ya ali madad ali

mujhe kuchh pal de purvat ke
faki hampe chahat ke
rahe bechain dil kab tak
milen kuchh pal toh raahat ke
chahat pe ishq pe haa mita doon luta doon
main apani khudi
yaar pe ha luta doon mita doon
main yeh hasti
ya ali reham ali
ya ali madad ali

bina tere na ek pal ho na bin tere kabhi kal ho
yeh dil ban jaaye pathhar ka na ismein koi hulchul ho
sanam pe ha ishq pe ha mita doon luta doon
main apani khudi
kasam se ha luta doon mita doon
main yeh hastii
ya ali reham ali
ya ali madad ali

Anuradha thumbnail
Thank you so much for the articles Qwest da.. 👏

I appreciate the effort that you take to give all these articles for us.. I am a big fan of urs 😊
advil thumbnail

Sorry Qwestda,Igot busy in some other work and it took me a while to post it.😊

------------------------------------------------------------ ----

Review of Gangster Album

LINK http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Gangster_Album-96096-1.html

The Magnum Opus Music
By: saurav_ssk | Mar 29, 2006 03:05 PM (Updated Jun 06, 2006 09:35 PM)

Member's Rating of this Product:
Member's Recommendation of this Product: Yes
Originality:

Pros:  Masterpiece Lyrics,Fantastic and Melodious Music a
Cons:  No Yaar ...There's None

Add/Read comments on this review Comments on
this Review
(40)

Spinning and rotating through different stresses in my life , I decided   to have a good break and get some good music.Switched on TV , just saw   a new movie tralier named GANGSTER , starring   Kangna(a gorgeous lady),Emraan Hashmi(the playboy) and Shiney Ahuja(Hazaaron Khwahisien Aisi fame ) .
The song played in the trailer "Tu Hi Meri Shab Hai " was so melodious and soul-stirring ,that I decided to buy this album and let me see how iteeeeez.
Well ! Since it is a new Emraan Hashmi's movie ,then of course the music has to be powerful.(Because his previous movies such as Murder,Zeher,Kalyug,Chocolate,Aashiq Banaya Aapne,Aksar------> Music was applaudable).

Before you go ahead reading this review , let me introduce you a new music entity that created lot of waves across the country.Hmmmm...I'm talking about Mr.Pritam.His musical profiles or rather archives include   mainly Dhoom, Chocolate and   Ek Khiladi Ek Haseena.

His new work as a music composer in album 'Gangster' is phenomenal and so powerful ,that still after listening to the album ,I'm getting a temptation to listen to it again and again.
The magnificent and rousing tracks in this album is definitely going to   stimulate your passion for music.The soundtracks are definitely different from what you hear routinely on your music system.This album is the next trend setter in music genre.

Well ! Ironically I don't understand Why every Emraan Hashmi's Movie Music is so beautiful,enriching and revitalizing experience.While I was listening to the soundtracks of this album at late night ,It reminded me of my first crush(hot) at college and bought back the good old memories of happiness and cheerfulness.

Before you go ahead reading this ......Loads of accolades and applauses for Sayeed Quadri,Mayur and Neelesh Misra for their breathtaking,awe-inspiring lyrics in this album which touches your heart tremendously.

So Shall we begin this journey of musical genre?
Let's Move and Let's Play the music!!!

Track 1 : Tu Hi Meri Shab Hai...
Lyrics : Sayeed Quadri
Singer : K.K.

The album begins with this track that gives you fresh romantic vibes and makes you feel at comfort.The soothing voice of K.K. is inimitable,exceptional and distinctive in this track.The velvety jounre   of emotions of love is constructed beautifully through lyrics by Sayeed Quadri.You can feel dark emotions of love in this song.The song has become very close to my heart .The high pitch and low pitch melody is balanced well and it definitely captivates your emotions.Sayeed Quadri was wonderful in Jism and Saaya...and he has proved once again.
While you are talking to your girlfriend on phone ,Sing this song for her and she will be impressed by you.
This track is also having dual remixes by Bunty Rajput and Jatin Sharma which will make you groove to the hot trance music and makes your feet tap again and again.Great Work by Bunty and Jatin for the remixes done.

Phenomenal Lyrics :<i>
Tu Hi Meri Shab hai
Subah hai
Tu hi Din Hai Mera..
Tu hi Mera Rab hai
Jahaan Hai
Tu Meri Duniya...
Tu Waqt Mere Liye
Main Hoon Tera Lamha
Kaise Rahega Bhalaa
Ho Ke Tu MujhSe Judaa..
Ho..HoHo.....

</i>

Track 2 :Bheegi Bheegi..
Lyrics :Mayur
Singer :James

After a nice departure from romantic track,you get to plunge into unique track of love.Well !James is a Bangladeshi Singer,but this is his first foray into Hindi songs.Nice Voice and immense charisma felt in the lyrics by Mayur blended with soft music by Pritam.Must hear during morning time.While you are travelling on bus or train,a good song to make you feel nice about your   lover.Well ! The first time I heard I felt a bit annoyed,afterwards as you hear it again and again ,it starts growing in your heart.Best Suitable when it's monsoon and you hear it with your lover during night.WOW!

Awesome Lyrics:
Bheegi Bheegi Si Hi Raatein
Bheegi Bheegi Yaadein
Bheegi Bheegi Baatein
Bheegi Bheegi Aankhon mein
kaisi Nami
Aa..haan...haaan..aa.

Track 3 :Lamha Lamha...
Lyrics :Neelesh Misra
Singer: Abhijeet, Sunidhi Chauhan

The track 3 Lamha Lamha is a duet song sung by Abhijeet, Sunidhi Chauhan which has good rhythm and nice voices.
For me , Abhijeet will always remain in the top 3 singers of India.
His best song till now has to this one.(My personal Opinion)
A refreshing journey of love is felt in this song.
The track comes two times in the album.The first one with Abhijeet as solo and second time as duet.Beautiful Lyrics and Outstanding soft music.Best Time to play during night time.

Lyrics :
Lamha Lamha Yeh Pal
Yun Pighalti hai
Jaane Kis Aag Mein
Yeh Shabnam Jalti hai
Khwahishon Ki Shaam Dhalti hai...

Track 4:Mujhe Mat Roko...
Lyrics: Sayeed Quadri
Singer: Kavita Seth

After 3 beautiful musical monoliths , this track makes you unleash the drops of emotional pain and sadness in your life .A close resemblance to Shubha Mudgal voice and the track Mathura from Raincoat.However , Loads of Applauses for Kavita Seth's beautiful voice.What's more amazing about this track is the lyrics.Check it out.

Lyrics :
Mujhe Mat Roko
Mujhe Yaar Ke Ghar
Jaane Do (2)
Main Hoon Parwana
Mujhe Shamma Pe
Jaane Do
Usko Paane Hi meri
Zindagi Ka Maqsadh hai
Gar woh milta hai mujhe
mar ke toh mar jaane do

Track 5: Ya ALi...
Lyrics: Sayeed Quadri
Singer: Zubin

Phew....What a SUPERB track is this one.!!! I must tell this song 'Ya Ali' will be our next musical craze across nation .The Voice of Zubin is just marvellous.This song gives an awesome landscape to the whole album and makes you feel that this album is PAISA VASOOL.While I'm writing this review on this album ,on the background the song 'Ya Ali' is played on my music system.The song haunts you even if you have stopped   playing it.A MUST HEAR track.I think this song   has started coming on TV.You can catch it.Zubin has shown perpetual vocal magic in this track .APPLAUSE!

Lyrics :
Ya Ali...Reham Aa Ali
Ya Ali..
Yaar Pe Qurban hai Sabhi
Ya Ali..Madat Aa Ali
Yeh Meri jaan
Yeh Meri Zindagi...

Edited by adi_0112 - 17 years ago