WU: SMJ 17th June: Domestic Violence-- Danger

.dream-catcher. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago

For countless women, entering married life often means the beginning of a stressful, violent existence. Beating one's wife seems to be ingrained in many men's mindsets as the appropriate behaviour for a strong male, but the consequences are misery for the wife and children, and often a broken, unhappy home. The concept of domestic violence is based on the notion of patriarchy, which needs to be converted into equality.

More than 50 per cent of casualty cases at just one hospital in the metropolis of Mumbai are due to domestic violence. For Snehalata and Rashmi, it was a part of daily life until they gathered up the courage to walk out. For countless other women like them, violence at the hands of their husbands is an unavoidable reality.

A cross-section of men are asked whether they beat their wives, and why. Why do men believe that it is their birthright to assault women? Some light on the question is shed by Kamla Bhasin, an advisor at Sangat, the South Asian Network of Gender Activists and Trainers, and has been working on women's issues for the last 42 years.

Shanno Begum put up with violence from her husband for several years until a surprising incident stopped him. Later, she learnt driving through the Delhi-based Azad Foundation which helps women in need by training them to get gainful and dignified employment.

The men in the audience interact with Aamir, sharing their experiences and suggesting ways to bring about change.

Marriage is supposed to be a sacred bond -- then when violence enters into the equation, where does this sanctity go? The marital knot is the basis for a secure, happy family. And it is the collective strength of these families which makes India what it is.

Will update in detail maybe tomorrow.Today am bit busy! 

Edited by poojawal_Pooja_ - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

atominis thumbnail
Today's episode's positives:

- Aamir Khan improved a lot as an anchor. Seriously there's a world of difference in reactions and gestures of Aamir Khan from episode 1 and Aamir Khan of this episode! He was controlled. And not at all OTT. I love how he's worked on himself!πŸ‘

- Kamla Bhasin's segment!! I have read her books and articles and always admired the woman. I love her even more now! I am glad Aamir called her on the show and allowed her to do all the talking! SOLID stuff!! Just hats off to this lady!πŸ‘ I like how she balanced it by saying that if patriarchy is wrong so is matriarchy. We need equality and not try to lord over each other! I love how she pointed subconscious discrimination ingrained in society via language we commonly use. Brilliant! 

- The men who spoke on the issue and called for definitions of masculinity to change. Superb to hear their thoughts. Respect to them.

- The shocking videos of shameless men who were happily rooting for domestic violence and declaring how they beat their wife but make her happy by giving paan later! It was shocking, but it was needed. I bet men who saw today's show must have felt tight slaps on their faces watching their own ilk glorify their tom foolery! 

- Shanno ji's story! Just wow! I salute the woman!

- Discussion on recourse which affected women can take to save themselves from domestic violence.

- The song was nice. And I am glad they chose another singer except Sona. I dislike Sona's voice and found her inclusion repetitive. I loved Meenal's rendition.

Negatives:

- Domestic violence affects women the most - I agree. But the concept is more than that and abuse of DILs by MILs and vice versa or beating kids or elderly people in the house and sometimes wives beating their husbands or always mentally pressurising them are also domestic violence. I am shocked how the show only looked at the VAW by husbands!πŸ˜• Come on! Even kids beat up their mothers and women beat up or abuse each other or encourage men to abuse other women. Why should we consider only men as culprits?πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

- As in dowry case, women tend to misuse domestic violence laws too. I know it happens less. But shouldn't Aamir have at least touched upon it? 

- Aamir could have talked about domestic violence and how we should avoid it. He need not give slogans on what marriage is. Not that I care about him. But his such stuff only encourages backlash against him. It gives people an excuse to laugh off the show or ignore the actual issue at hand. And there is no need to extol women either because women are partners in this crime too. There's a reason why we have proverbs like ''Aurat hi aurat ki dushman hoti hai''!

Swetha-Sai thumbnail
Thanks a lot for Brief Pooja and Annika..πŸ€—

Fabulous job done by AamirπŸ‘ by bringing forward some really hard-hitting issues that ailing in our society ..!

I missed today' episode due to powercut in chennai..😑 in my area.. from 11 to 12 in morning..!

Hope to see this episode online by this week..!πŸ˜›
asmuasmi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
again a great epi by amir today.
-scarlett- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: annika20

Today's episode's positives:

- Aamir Khan improved a lot as an anchor. Seriously there's a world of difference in reactions and gestures of Aamir Khan from episode 1 and Aamir Khan of this episode! He was controlled. And not at all OTT. I love how he's worked on himself!πŸ‘

- Kamla Bhasin's segment!! I have read her books and articles and always admired the woman. I love her even more now! I am glad Aamir called her on the show and allowed her to do all the talking! SOLID stuff!! Just hats off to this lady!πŸ‘ I like how she balanced it by saying that if patriarchy is wrong so is matriarchy. We need equality and not try to lord over each other! I love how she pointed subconscious discrimination ingrained in society via language we commonly use. Brilliant! 

- The men who spoke on the issue and called for definitions of masculinity to change. Superb to hear their thoughts. Respect to them.

- The shocking videos of shameless men who were happily rooting for domestic violence and declaring how they beat their wife but make her happy by giving paan later! It was shocking, but it was needed. I bet men who saw today's show must have felt tight slaps on their faces watching their own ilk glorify their tom foolery! 

- Shanno ji's story! Just wow! I salute the woman!

- Discussion on recourse which affected women can take to save themselves from domestic violence.

- The song was nice. And I am glad they chose another singer except Sona. I dislike Sona's voice and found her inclusion repetitive. I loved Meenal's rendition.

Negatives:

- Domestic violence affects women the most - I agree. But the concept is more than that and abuse of DILs by MILs and vice versa or beating kids or elderly people in the house and sometimes wives beating their husbands or always mentally pressurising them are also domestic violence. I am shocked how the show only looked at the VAW by husbands!πŸ˜• Come on! Even kids beat up their mothers and women beat up or abuse each other or encourage men to abuse other women. Why should we consider only men as culprits?πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

- As in dowry case, women tend to misuse domestic violence laws too. I know it happens less. But shouldn't Aamir have at least touched upon it? 

- Aamir could have talked about domestic violence and how we should avoid it. He need not give slogans on what marriage is. Not that I care about him. But his such stuff only encourages backlash against him. It gives people an excuse to laugh off the show or ignore the actual issue at hand. And there is no need to extol women either because women are partners in this crime too. There's a reason why we have proverbs like ''Aurat hi aurat ki dushman hoti hai''!

I agree with the cons that you have pointed out but you need to understand that the show is only a mere minutes long, everything can't seriously be covered, and if he was to go in so detail, it would only be an overview. But, those are some great point for other episodes😊
undisclosed thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2

thank you for the WU!

srimad0203 thumbnail
I have this message for Aamir - When he talks about DV - Physical and Mental Abuse,  the way he left his wife for other woman..isn't that a Mental Abuse for the first wife?
Luvchoc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Amir left his first wife for a much younger girl, Kiran Rao. Wonder what Reema would have gone through at that time. Could we call any such mental trauma as DV?
atominis thumbnail

@srimad0203 and @LuvChoc

Since when did divorce BY MUTUAL CONSENT constitute a crime, social evil or act of domestic violence?πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

I am amused and surprised how some people online seem to know more than the government of India and judiciary! πŸ€‘

Aamir Khan's first wife and he - respect each other till date and parted ways amicably. And Aamir himself has mentioned in his interviews how the divorce was traumatic and he left all work after his divorce for 3-4 years, taking time to deal with it, being with his family and kids. 

Javed Akhtar and Saif divorced their first wives and never even speak about them, nor ever seen with them and their first wives have even spoken against them in public. Such ugly things never happened in Aamir's case. He has not discarded his former wife out of his world and never pretends as if he never had a former wife at all, unlike others. Nor has his former wife ever badmouthed him. Both respect each other, so why point fingers at them if they decided to nullify their marriage? They might have had their reasons. Who are we to question when they handled it with dignity?

His first wife is still present at all functions he organises and he goes out with her and the kids many times. His family, his first wife, his kids have no problem with him. Wonder why only some self proclaimed moral police are so concerned?

Both men and women suffer trauma when a divorce happens. Only individuals know what happened between them. Outsiders can only comment or gossip. Individuals have right to nullify marriage at any age or stage of life. And if they have no problem then who are we to comment?

Finally, do you think stars or others who are not divorced are ''happily married''? I hope you must be aware of majority of women continuing to stay in a marriage for their own sake or for sake of kids. Or taking to drugs to deal with trauma but not divorcing the man. Several public figures and ordinary people who seem to have perfect married lives - actually have their spouse rotting away at home who puts up a nice face only in public.

Divorcing your spouse is not domestic violence in any law of any country of the world! Get that naysayers!πŸ˜†

BTW, Aamir's sister Nuzhat is also divorced. In fact she got divorced twice. I guess he knows well what a woman goes through when she's divorced. 

Things like divorce are personal and sensitive matters. Easiest to comment and make rumours. But only those who go through it, know what happens. Unfair to instantly brand them as tainted.

Luvchoc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@annika20

Why are you getting so hyper on a question? I just asked a simple question and you made it a 10 marks subjective type question and started calling us naysayers, self proclaimed moral police and what not. GAWWWD. I think all these name callings make a forum hostile.

Nobody is branding nobody with anything. I have been through divorce and I know what it is. I read somewhere that Amir Khan was a womanizer and he and his first wife always had problems due to this. That is why I had that question in my mind. I think it is because I asked this question in context to Amir Khan you got so super pissed off. 

Let me rephrase my question: If a husband leaves a wife for a much younger woman, the mental trauma that the wife goes though, can that be called DV?

Well, I do like Amir Khan's work. 3 Idiots will always top my favorite movie charts. I like Satyamev Jayate too. That's why I watch it. Also, I like the work of Javed Akhtar and Saif. But it still does not change the fact that if they hurt the feelings of a woman, I being a woman will always support her. Although, that will not affect my likeness for their good work.

Sorry if I have hurt your feelings..or anyone else, din't mean too.