SMJ:10th June:Persons with Disabilities

.dream-catcher. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
People with disabilities have the same zeal and appreciation for life as the rest of us do. But they often get shunned, doubted, mocked and insulted. Access to public places and buildings is restricted and doors are closed for schooling and employment. India does not appear to be mature enough and understanding enough to recognise people with disabilities for what they are -- people.

Shreya Chaturvedi is 11 and exudes an enviable zest for life. Another person with disability is Sai Prasad, who demonstrates similar enthusiasm, and he has taken flight, literally. Software engineer Krishnakant Mane writes poetry in his spare time, and climbs real mountains as well as the virtual ones created by a disabled-unfriendly world. "

For Sai Prasad Vishwanathan, a bone defect meant that his ability to walk was hampered, but his spirit was in no way unfettered. He decided to show the world that nothing is impossible, even for a person with disability. Not even flying.

India has to decide whether it wants the crores of people with disabilities to stay at home, or to be a part of the mainstream and contribute to the economy.

Circumstances led Dr Rajendra Johar to be confined to the bed, and he was declared disabled. But he has turned the very notion of disability on its head, and from his bed has helped countless people with disability to gain education, employment and self-respect. Dr Johar is the founder of the NGO Family of Disabled

When power lifter Joginder Saluja wanted to join a gym, he was told that there was no place for him there. So he found a solution -- he started his own disabled-friendly, inclusive gym. Aamir Khan visits the gym and has a competition with him.

Pratibha Chaturvedi is Shreya's mother -- and her best friend. "She calls me 'dost'," giggles the cute little girl, who is affected by cerebral palsy but wants to lighten the burden on her mom's life. "Sometimes she gets so tired and I press her feet," says Shreya.

"I love my mom, I love my teachers, I love my school, I love my house. I'm happy with what God has given me. Jaise bhi hoon, khush hoon main." This is the heartwarming declaration of Shreya Chaturvedi, whose bodymay be limited but whose mind and spirit have transcended those limitations.

Sai Prasad quotes from Rang De Basanti -- "Ooncha sunte hain unko dhamaake ki zaroorat hoti hai" -- and goes skydiving to drive the point home.When training at Infosys, Sai Prasad realized how independent he could be with the right infrastructure.

Krishnakant Mane asks Aamir to call him "KK", for a catchy result.KK grew up being treated just like any other kid.Krishnakant Mane's parents wanted him to be on equal terms with other children, and fought to enroll him in a mainstream school.

Krishnakant Mane says that one can't expect the government to do everything. In public places, people have to be responsible for their own behaviour towards those with disabilities

Reacting to remarks that parents of non-disabled students sometimes object to the school admitting disabled children, Jai Hind vice principal Nisha Sikka says, "Tell the objecting parents that it is they who are not worthy of the school!"

Aamir Khan tells us why disabled and non-disabled children should study together, and how both gain from the interaction

Nisha's father David says adults have a lot to learn from the child -- we complain about things like the the traffic, but despite all her troubles, Nisha never complains.Aloma Lobo was left aghast and speechless when a seemingly well-dressed and well-spoken woman came up to Nisha and spat at her in the mall one day. Nisha's reaction when Aloma apologized to her later: What that lady did is her problem, it is not my problem.

Ketan Kothari says that people behave as if a blind person also suffers from other impaired senses -- people speak about him in his presence, as if he cannot hear.

Yes, India has countless other problems to solve, but as Javed Abidi says, the disabled are not demanding anything extra, they just want the same rights as everyone else living in India.Javed Abidi says one big issue is that universities in India are not barrier-free -- not even government ones.

A majority of employees at Designmate in Ahmedabad are people with disabilities. They love the company, and the company loves them.

Joginder Saluja was thown out of a mainstream gym because he has a disability. This spurred him to open an inclusive gym where everyone is welcome -- disabled and non-disabled.

The SMS question: Should schools and colleges that do not become fully inclusive within the next five years be de-recognised?

DONE

Edited by poojawal_Pooja_ - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pushing this at first page.
The one who is spamming this forum PLEASE STOP

Originally posted by: poojawal_Pooja_

Pushing this at first page.

The one who is spamming this forum PLEASE STOP

Thank you for the update-I missed today's telecast,Will catch it tonight,I hope.
Let us try to keep this on Page one.

PS= Think we can disable the spammers & ENABLE the Mods???
Seems a hopeless task...ALAS.

Originally posted by: znursingh

Thank you for the update-I missed today's telecast,Will catch it tonight,I hope.
Let us try to keep this on Page one.

PS= Think we can disable the spammers & ENABLE the Mods???
Seems a hopeless task...ALAS.

Your most welcome:)
Yeah that spammer every week makes a new account and Spam here :((

I asked Nadii Di to assign someone to look after the forum.Hope she looks to it

[/QUOTE]

Your Nadii di is VERY remiss with her duty!
Watch she will awaken to lock down my two protest threads & the spammers will flourish week after week!
manupriya77 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for written update Pooja .
minihussain thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
thanks for the update dear.
minihussain thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: poojawal_Pooja_

i thought there is a way to block the IP address...that wau he/she cannot use the same computer to make different ids and spam.
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanks for the update.
Would all of you please post your request for ending the spamming here on this thread.

visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Pushing this up, so that the spam threads go down.