DOTW Misunderstandings: progression/dragging hell?

delete1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
So guys, what an action and emotion filled week it's been!

A quick recap of this week:
  • Monday: the picnic! Manvi's impression of Virat, Viren's 'I Love You's', Jeevika's poem and that infamous near confession from Virat.
  • Tuesday: Dabbu's never ending love trysts, the rift between the sisters, the world turns against Jeevika, revelation of the 'Plan' to both sisters, hide and seek in the jungle, and the accident.
  • Wednesday: Jeevika's taken to the hospital, needs blood, Manvi refuses.
  • Thursday: Manvi tried to justify her refusal, Viren has an emotional breakdown, end of the Jeeju-Saali relationship (for now), the search for O- blood begins, Jeevika becomes critical.
  • Friday: Manvi arranges blood, Viren once again rejects Manvi barring her from seeing Jeevika, the staredown(!), Manvi is resiliant but Virat leads her to some weird place, Virat knows about the cancer, Jeevika is recovering, Viren decides to take Jeevika back to Chandigarh by plane.

It is clear from this week that misunderstandings upon misunderstandings upon misunderstandings have been sown into the plot lines. Now question marks have been placed on so many relationships: Jeevika-Manvi, Viren-Jeevika, Virat-Manvi, Virat-Viren...

According to Sid M, Jeevika will find out next week (and with her Viren I'm guessing), which should be interesting. And it's been great to see so many discussions surrounding this weeks episodes: the rationality of Viren, Manvi's attitude towards Jeevika, Jeevika's reactions towards both VirMan relationship and the 'Plan'...

But my question to you guys for this week is the following:

Misunderstandings: plot progression or dragging hell?
  • The includence of misunderstandings are both common and persistent in Indian TV. 
  • But to what extent can they be justified in terms of the plot? 
  • Do they make the show more interesting or are they just a plain turn off?

This is a pretty much open ended question, so you can go off tangents but please do remeber that bashing is strictly not allowed and please do try to keep replies relevant to EHMMBH when you can. And please proof read before you post, because at the end of the day, just putting 'no offence' does actually cause offence nine times out of ten.

Please bare in mind, we do have a varying and diverse community in EHMMBH. Now you can start discussing :)
Edited by sabeeha - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sumandhaka thumbnail
i    love this show  but some time CVs give  so senseless plot that strongly unbelievable..Like .
viren misunderstanding manvi    for not   giving blood...Few days before  they have shown that ..manavi was not   going  hospital for     blood test and  jivika pretends to be unconscious so that Mannu can be ready to give the blood... as expected she runs to hospital to gave blood...and now when her     sister deadly  hurted...she is   giving excuse of being  afraid of   injections
...how viren can    so     blind believe all this ..misunderstandings  are   part of TV  show at least the have do some   effort make it belivable ..
delete1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: sumandhaka

i    love this show  but some time CVs give  so senseless plot that strongly unbelievable..Like .
viren misunderstanding manvi    for not   giving blood...Few days before  they have shown that ..manavi was not   going  hospital for     blood test and  jivika pretends to be unconscious so that Mannu can be ready to give the blood... as expected she runs to hospital to gave blood...and now when her     sister deadly  hurted...she is   giving excuse of being  afraid of   injections
...how viren can    so     blind believe all this ..misunderstandings  are   part of TV  show at least the have do some   effort make it belivable ..

I more or less agree with you here in the green.

I mean, where do we blur the lines exactly as to just how much creative license can be taken in a show.

In regards to the whole Viren-Manvi situation, I'm not so sure. Viren is supposed to be a cool headed, rational lawyer and in any normal circumstance he's be joining all the dots together. But I think that's the thing, this isn't a NORMAL situation. He's not thinking rationally right now which is expected as his 'better half' is on the brink of death.

Now I guess the purpose of this discussion was to address the misunderstandings. Personally I'm not too fussed with the misunderstanding itself because that is quite a realistic situation, but by how they progress from it and how long it will keep going.

For example, once Viren has cooled down and Jeevika is on the road to recovery and they're all settled in Chandigarh, that would be an opportune moment for Viren to questions Manvi's initial refusal. That would reflect the Viren that we've learned to love. If he doesn't question it, and the dilemma grows, then that'll just be dragging hell - completely against Viren's character sketch as a lawyer.

For me, that's where the issue lies. The whole Viren being irrational is creating a misunderstanding which will ultimately lead to the cancer revelation, but just to what extent can we regard it as a ploy to further the plot or consider it a tool of dragging?
CaptainREX thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Without misunderstandings there will be no show. 😆

sweetsorrow18 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Personally, I think the story is moving way too fast...the scenes that are suppose to be climatic are left without fizzle and anti-climatic (for example, VirMan revelation scene, I was expecting this to be long and more textured with scenes, lets hope monday is better) and the scenes that are suppose to there for depth are not (ie. Maanvi should have had some flashback scenes of her and Jeevika during the whole ordeal)

I also think the order of revelations makes no sense...I figured that the people closest to Maanvi would find out last to make the story more interesting...so Viren should have found out first, followed by Virat (her love angle) and then Jeevika... I guess it'll be interesting how CV's take this approach...but i mean, the dramatic sequence should be between Virat and Maanvi and not Viren and Maanvi cause in the end, Virat and Jeevs will be more impacted by the news
__Seya__ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sabeeha

I more or less agree with you here in the green.

Now I guess the purpose of this discussion was to address the misunderstandings. Personally I'm not too fussed with the misunderstanding itself because that is quite a realistic situation, but by how they progress from it and how long it will keep going.

Exactly..MUs are a part of every show and well to an extent real life too...but the problems are:
1. As u said put effort to make the MU seem believable.
2. Having MU...fine, not even trying to clear it out..not fine
3. The length of the MU...seriously don't know how long this is gonna be dragged in EHMMBH but I would prefer it to be short with a clean plot-line and progressive development.
4. MUs happen but in some shows they happen lyk on a daily basis...Living Hell!!!!

Do add more points to this list..I would lov to hear more views😊
Edited by TanyalovMusic - 11 years ago
__Seya__ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sweetsorrow18

Personally, I think the story is moving way too fast...the scenes that are suppose to be climatic are left without fizzle and anti-climatic (for example, VirMan revelation scene, I was expecting this to be long and more textured with scenes, lets hope monday is better) and the scenes that are suppose to there for depth are not (ie. Maanvi should have had some flashback scenes of her and Jeevika during the whole ordeal)

I also think the order of revelations makes no sense...I figured that the people closest to Maanvi would find out last to make the story more interesting...so Viren should have found out first, followed by Virat (her love angle) and then Jeevika... I guess it'll be interesting how CV's take this approach...but i mean, the dramatic sequence should be between Virat and Maanvi and not Viren and Maanvi cause in the end, Virat and Jeevs will be more impacted by the news

Hummm... For me the pace is fine, but what lacks is the way they are showing some things, skipping out others and not giving enough time to a few matters that required to be shown longer...I mean- Keep the same speed and don't drag the serial but don't make it a jumble of emotions, all the actors are emoting their respective scenes fantastically so do some justice to them through the script.

To be specific what I would have liked to seen- as u said the Manvi-Jeevika FB, they could have shown that-added more magic.
Also  Jeevika's rkn to viren's dhokha..ya she wud b hurt dat's logical bt hr OTT running ðŸ˜•, I can relate more 2 her objection of Virat than this.
Again when Manvi was running around so much looking for her di and the emotional repercussions later on, it should have some kind of effect on her health...she was shown gasping for breath and almost fainting after running after a little kid and nothing along lyk this where it could have helped the plotline develop a bit more.😕
Manvi-Virat eqn will hopefully be treated more on Monday's epi.
As for the order of revealation, I don't think any order matters- bcoz its not Maanvi who's gonna reveal that she's gonna pick her di to start with. The CVs can use any order that suits their plot, just show it well.
Edited by TanyalovMusic - 11 years ago
IntrovertedDame thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
A fascinating range of responses here! I loved reading them.

"Misunderstandings" are an integral part of Indian TV. When a show suffers from a lack of TRP's, all that the makers have to do is add this run of the mill track to keep viewers glued in.

EHMMBH does not suffer from that problem. I don't really have a problem with this track, but the way it's all enmeshed is really crazy. All the 4 leads have some issue regarding the other. If you add these many complications, you are bound to lose track of the plot.

A standard example would be the Virat-Manvi revelation scene. Something so intense and pivotal was barely given 2 mins a midst the whole misunderstanding scenario. But I should say, Monday's episode is a vast improvement. I loved how Vanshika thinks that Manvi had a majboori and so couldnt donate blood.

My request to the writers would be to untangle all these as soon as possible and concentrate on the main theme of the show- filial love(between the brothers, sisters as well as jiju-sali and devar-bhabi) as well as the two love stories. 
Edited by Amri174 - 11 years ago
thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Now, I call this a topic I'd like to participate in. 

EHMMBH is an emotional riot. It challenges your intelligence like most Hindi TV shows do, but for emotional wrecks like me, the theme itself is like, um, good enough to follow, not religiously, but follow. So, yeah, the more the dragging hell (no progress, of course), the more material I get to cry about. Ah, no kidding.

So, Viren's rationality is um, I dunno, go-went-gone. But that's what your regular exceptionally-angelic hero does. Okay. I dun think he's at fault or anybody is. As for the track itself, it is a measure to keep dragging obviously, the revelation can't happen so quickly and easily, can it? That's what our TV serials are popular for. ðŸ˜ƒ

So, when you ask us to choose between progression and dragging hell, I say hell yeah, dragging hell. 

Cheers,
Savage

adi_gupta thumbnail
making show boring
now they will create misunderstanding between viren and viraat too becoz they will drag manvi's illness truth from both jeevi and vir and drag more making it boring
sometime i feel cv thinks people have no brain who watch serial
this serial is something differ but now they make it like balaji product
 i don't understand bijji is elder then manvi why she didn't say anything when manvi was saying there is many another way to tell the truth only to make this serial similar like other they are spoil it
showing biji and chachu has no mind they cannot make any decision what the hell they just ruined a good show
i hate it when viren was saying bad things about manvi
...i just hae this misunderstanding  track...