Arhi FF |Mohabat Door Jaane Na De| *Complete!* #1 - Page 3

Posted: 12 years ago
please continue, add me to ur pm list too pls, great start!! cnt wait to read more 😊
brilliant start. am so glad that he found the truth from her dad coz now he at least know that she never wanted to have anything to do with the creep and that she was forced to get engaged to him. please continue soon and pm me, really want to know what happens next, thanx.
great start.plz continue soon😊
Awesome SS. 😃👍🏼 Please continue. Very interesting.
Firstly, I want to thank each and every person who read and commented on this, coz I seriously wasn't expecting this kind of reception. I am very, very overwhelmed:) And secondly, PMs are a bit of an issue for me, but I'll see what I can do. For the time being, anyone wanting to know about updates pls add me as a Buddy:)

Chapter Two

Anjali glanced at the front door for the umpteenth time.

She was very familiar with her brother's erratic moods, and today seemed to be no exception. Payal and Akash had just returned from their honeymoon, and both families had gathered at Raizada Mansion to celebrate their return. But Arnav was missing, and without him in the picture Anjali could hardly be expected to enjoy the festivities. She toyed with her phone, wondering whether to call him again.

'I'm busy, I'll come home when I'm done', was all he had managed the last time she had tried, and the ring of finality in his voice convinced even her that she shouldn't press her luck.

Anjali looked around at the gathering in the living room. Animated conversations centred on the couple returning from their honeymoon. She smiled fondly at Akash, with Mamiji tousling his hair, to his immense chagrin. At Payal, smiling shyly as Nani ribbed her about her trip. At Khushi, standing just behind her mother and aunt, with a half smile on her face.

Anjali's smile faded a little. The past month had not been...what was the word? Right? First Chote had simply declared that he wanted to marry Khushi, and that too immediately. He threatened that if they didn't agree, he would not marry at all. And knowing his explosive anger, and even more explosive ego, Nani and Anjali both consented, considering this was an alliance they had been aiming for from  the first place. What didn't make sense was why Chote was so adamant to marry Khushi immediately after Akash. They had been married off in a small temple, in a private ceremony, the day after Payal and Akash's wedding. There was a coldness, a speculative precision with which Chote had gone about the whole thing, that had set the alarm bells in Anjali's head ringing. But she did not know what it was, and although she did not admit it to herself, she did not want to. She kept herself from thinking too deeply into the matter. Chote was happy with Khushi, she convinced herself.

But something definitely was not right. Khushi was no longer that same bubbly, chirpy girl the Raizada family had fallen in love with. True, she was still an adorable soul, her childish antics always lightening the atmosphere at the otherwise somber house Anjali had inhabited for so long. Yet, something was missing. An exuberance that seemed a little faded. Khushi looked paler, thinner, tired and sometimes, just sad. Anjali convinced herself that that was because she missed her family. After all, she was only eighteen. She could hardly be prepared for marital life.

Anjali spent a lot of her time convincing herself that everything was fine. Just fine.

'Di, where is Khushi?' Arnav asked gruffly, not even stopping as he passed her in the living room.

'Well, isn't someone in a hurry to meet their wife?' Anjali quipped delightedly, 'In case you haven't noticed, your brother has just returned from his honeymoon. Aren't you going to greet him too?'

'Please, Di', Arnav glanced briefly at her face and at the now empty living room. Everyone seemed to have headed towards the dining table.

Anjali laughed. 'She just left with Payal. They're in Akash's room'.

'Khushi', Payal said seriously, scrutinizing Khushi with a grim look on her face, 'will you please tell me what's wrong?'

'Nothing's wrong, Jiji', Khushi let herself drop down onto to the bed beside her sister, and turned to face her, 'why are you being so serious? You're supposed to be glowing, and giggling and shying away- you just returned from your honeymoon!'

Payal twisted away from Khushi's arm as she attempted to tickle her. Sighing, she placed both hands on her younger sister's shoulders and looked straight into her eyes.

'Something is wrong Khushi. I can tell. You have bags under your eyes, you've lost weight. Your smile...I don't know...you look so...so...faded', Payal finished lamely.

Khushi was silent for a fraction of a second before grinning at her sister.

'Well, of course! Come on, Jiji, I haven't been able to sleep properly here...there aren't any star lights, and it gets dark sometimes, and you know how I've never ever slept in a different room from you before. And of course I've lost weight- don't you think the Raizadas would be scandalized if they realized their daughter-in-law was a glutton? And besides, this house is so big, sometimes I feel like I'm running a marathon when all I'm really doing is going from the kitchen to the bedroom!'

Payal watched quietly as Khushi gushed on and on, gesticulating with her hands, almost bouncing on the bed as she joked about her new home. But Payal had known Khushi long enough to know that she almost always hid her sorrows under makeshift joy, joviality, hiding behind a mask to keep others from seeing her vulnerability. From realizing that she was after all an ordinary girl, who had her strengths, but also had her weaknesses.

Payal took a deep breath as Khushi's speech rattled to a close. She looked her sister dead in the eyes and asked, 'Is it Shyam? Has he been bothering you?'

Any traces of a smile that had adorned Khushi's face moments before disappeared. The two sisters stared into each others' eyes. Khushi shook her head mechanically.

'No', she said heavily, 'He hasn't tried anything since the day of your wedding.'

Silence enveloped the room as the two remembered another night, a month ago, when they had shared another such heart-to-heart conversation. How Khushi, shivering, flushed, visibly shaken, had rushed straight into her older sister's protective embrace. How the two of them had decided that now was the time to tell, someone, Akash, Arnav, someone, the truth about the man who had played with the fates of the two families.

'We should have told Anjaliji the truth the minute we found out', Payal whispered after a long pause, during which neither sister looked at the other. The grimness hung in the air like a fog, a curtain that had suddenly descended upon them.

Khushi played with the hem of her pallu. 'I don't know, Jiji. I told you. When I came to tell her...her reaction when the Mangalstura broke...she would have broken down completely.'

Payal stood up in frustration and began to pace about, 'It's better than having to spend the rest of her life with that'that'creep! I can't believe, even after everything that happened, he had the nerve to assume that he could marry you!'

Khushi winced as unwelcome memories heralded her. That night on the terrace, where he had touched her. She shuddered. She felt a sudden need to run into a shower and cleanse herself.

'It would have been better', Payal was saying, 'to let everyone know what kind of a rat he really is. We have a responsibility towards this family now Khushi. We're both a part of it'.

Khushi remained silent.

Payal wheeled around and sat back down, across from her. 'Khushi', she began again, her voice low.

'We can't do anything, Jiji', Khushi mumbled, her voice barely audible, 'She's pregnant. Now is the worst possible time to tell her anything like that.'

Again, that haunting, alien silence. It was almost tangible. Khushi felt like she couldn't breathe.

'Jiji', she murmured as she turned to face her sister, 'I'm so glad you're back!'

Those words were filled with so much truth, so much genuineness, that they continued to ring in Arnav's ears long after he had walked away from the door of Akash's bedroom. Words that held more meaning than anything else Khushi had said all evening.

Please leave your comments:) And I will get round to replying soon

Edited by -doe-eyes- - 12 years ago
intresting would love to read more of ur story...nice one..
Really interesting and well written! Do update soon and PM me. :)