Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

I'd love to take Aamir's autograph: Zakir Hussain

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

I'd love to take Aamir Khan's autograph: Ustad Zakir Hussain

Mumbai: Ustad Zakir Hussain needs no introduction. The California-basedtabla maestro who makes an annual visit to India and also performs here between December - February, is busy doing live concerts across the country, the next big one being the annual tribute show to his father, GuruUstad Alla Rakha Khan (on his death anniversary on February 3).

You do so many live shows, why not film music?
I don't choose to not do it. I am very much struck by film glamour and would love to be a part of it, but it's just that I'm not available in India most of the time.

You said you're awestruck by films, do you also watch a lot of them?
I grew up watching Dilip Kumar, Raj Kapoor, Dev Anand, Shammi Kapoor, etc. After that I ran to America and so I missed the whole Rajesh Khanna time. And when I came back, Bachchan (Amitabh) was really big and I'm his huge fan. Previously, you could have a paunch and still be an actor. Sanjeev Kumar was a big success β€” though he was a bit voluptuous. Bachchan was the only lean one in fact and I loved watching him.
But today, actors need to have six packs as they have to wear really nothing on top (laughs). And it's amazing that they're able to do the stunts, dance, look good and still act. Meena Kumari could be fat, but she could still playPakeezah because she didn't dance she just acted.

Any particular actor you like?
Aamir (Khan) is fabulous. Shah Rukh Khan is a very dedicated actor himself who puts himself 182 percent in a film. To be at par with actors all over the world, is great. Look Hollywood is copying Bollywood now. In that sense, I'm a big fan of all these guys and someday I'll get to meet them and take their autographs.

Will you, really?
Why not, I'd love to take Aamir's autograph. I remember taking Rekha's autograph. I still have it. I took Jaya Prada's autograph. Yes I have Amitabh's autograph too. He was in one mehfil I was playing.

And you preserve them?
Yes, I laminate them and keep it safe.

What kind of movies do you enjoy the most?
Like all Indian men, I'm into action. I want to see people get clattered. I like funny thrillers. Padosan is one of my all-time fav movies. Even Chalti Ka NaamGaadi. These are the movies I'd watch any day and twice on Sundays.

Was acting/singing ever an option?
I acted in a couple of movies, saw my acting and decided I was a better table player. I sang the Guide track, because the lead singer didn't show up. That's how it happened. I'm not a singer, just a hummer in shower.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Padosan is one of my all-time fav movies. Even Chalti Ka NaamGaadi. These are the movies I'd watch any day and twice on Sundays.

Ditto!  πŸ˜Š

This guy's a legend. πŸ‘πŸΌ