23.1.12- Uddhava witnesses Divine Love!

Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
Episode starts with Uddhava meeting Radha, who comes running to hear the news of Krishna.  She thinks may be Uddhava have the news about Kanha's next arrival, but the friends tell her that the message brought by Uddava from Kanha is that He wants them to forget about Him. And so, for the Welfare of the Gopis,  Krishna has sent Uddhava to teach 'Tap' and 'Yoga' to all the Gopis. Radha gets surprised and says that 'tap' and 'yog' won't be able to do any good for them, but only 'Sanyog' ('union', with the Lord) will be able to do that. 'Complete Union' with Him, when there will be no difference between the two, when Radha becomes Kanha and Kanha becomes Radha- that is the 'Yog' for Radha. It is the 'Premyog' of Radha, she needs nothing except this yog. All other paths are unnecessary for her. All the Gopis along with Sudama FEELS the depth in the words of Radha, but for Uddhava, all these words (theory/ belief system) are new.  Now Radha gives a message for Krishna that Krishan should teach all these Knowledge to His other Devotees but here, the Gopis along with Radha are only thirsty for His 'Darshan' and an embrace from the Lord. 

Uddhava tells that this 'Premyog' has deep pain in it always, so he has brought the advice of the Lord, to make them free of this pain. Radha says she or the Gopis have never asked for freedom. They are happy in that state. Uddhava says Radha is talking the words of attachment as a true yogini's aim should be to experience the Bliss, not to experience the pain. Radha says the definition of Happiness is not the same for all, it depends on the POV of that particular person. Uddhava says the definition may vary but still, no one can consider pain as happiness. Radha answers that if one experiences happiness in  pain, then they can say it.  Uddhava asks who will be foolish enough to feel happy in a painful state? Radha replies- the mother and the lover. When a mother gives birth to a baby, she experiences unbearable pain but the happiness of bringing a a baby on this earth makes every woman crave for this pan. In the same way, a lover, who has experienced the nectar of Love,  she/ he doens't crave for any other source of happiness. 

Uddhava thinks all these are words of imagination. Ignorant man consoles himself with all these false world of imagination and keeps on deceiving himself. Radha replies that the theory of 'premyog' is true. the lover is always with the beloved- Uddhava should believe it to be true.  Uddhava argues that this is such a kind of truth which can't be witnessed, it can only be accepted from mind, so he considers it to be imagination. Now Radha says that Uddhava can very well see Kanha with his eyes and then Uddhava witnesses Krishna with his flute there, with all of them! Radha and the Gopis go eagerly to Him, Krishna also appears with each gopi and Uddhava along with Sudama witness a kind of 'Raas leela'. They all sing how Krishna is the very 'Life' in them, how they are devoted to the Lord... Uddhava is surprised to witness all these and joins his hand to respect the Lord. 

Now Krishna looks at Uddhava, who falls at the feet of the Lord. Uddhava wants to understand the leela of the Lord, how is He present there in Dwarka and also here, in Vrindavan and not only with Radha but also with all the Gopis? Krishna answers He always 'Responds' to Love and Respect/ Faith. If anyone calls me with True Love, He exists there with that person,  at that very moment.  In a darkness, we need a light/ lamp to see clearly, in the same way,  if we have Faith and Love in us, we can very well witness the Lord with us. This is the True Knowledge, this is the 'Ultimate Truth'. Uddhava again falls at the feet of the Lord. Krishna disappears. Uddhava says 'Jai Shri Krishna!

In Dwarka, A messenger comes to the room, where Krishna-JV are seated, he gives Him a message. The Wife of Uddhava comes and asks whether it is a message from her husband, how is he etc. Krishna says yes, indeed it is a letter from Uddhava. He has written to Savitri (his wife's name).  Uddhava writes that he is teaching the lessons of Knowledge to the Gopis. He is loving the pious world of Vraj. He has decided to live there permanently. He also tells Savitri to take care of herself and not to remember him (Uddhava). He thinks that Savitri is wise enough not to remain in pain (for the estrangement), but will focus her attention on the 'Brahman'.  Savitri is in tears while listening to the contents of the letter and leaves the room. 

Krishna tells JV that Balram's letter has worked in a perfect way, in the situation. Now Savitri will understand the pain of separation for the lover and will also understand the what is love. JV is happy to know about the secret that Krishna is trying to teach a lesson to Savitri. She goes to Savitri's room.  

JV says Savitri's tears tells her that she loves her husband very much. Savitri says
 Uddahav has deserted her thr' a letter.  But she loves him very much and can't live without him.  She will end her life! JV console her by saying that she must have control over her feelings. That message was not from Uddhava. Now Krishna comes and asks for forgiveness from Savitri 'Bhaabi', as He referred to Balram's letter as Uddhava's. All Krishna wanted was to make Savitri experience Love. Now she will also accept that Love is superior to Knowledge. Savitri says yes, True Love can't be measured! Krishna says Uddhav hasn't left Savitri. Krishna wanted Savitri to understand that Love is a representaion of Respect, Faith and Surredership. Knowledge is only the medium, but the actual base of human life is Love. Savitri touches the feet of the Lord and humbly says that her pride has ended today as she has realised that the true meaning of life is there only in Love.    

Jai Shri Krishna!

(Varaali, or any other member , if you can please translate the  song 😊)
Edited by Debipriya - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vedantka thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Dear Debipryia-ji 😊,,

Thank you again for a very detailed & very nice update😊

It always helps me a lot.

Thanks!!!!!!πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Wow very very well written. Thanks
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Question - was Udhav older or younger to Krishna?  I'm assuming younger by this serial, in which case, why should Krishna & Jambavati address Savitri (was that really Udhav's wife's name?) as 'Bhabi'?  And if they were older, how do they touch Krishna's feet, when he always touched the feet of those senior to him, be it Vasudev, Devaki, Balarama, Kunti (I'm not sure that he did that for Yudhisthir, as shown in this serial).

So is the Udhav tale over, or is that something they can drag on for another month?  At this rate, I doubt I'll be watching - yesterday, I switched channels to DkDM, and only came back after 8:20, when that serial ended.  I'm disappointed @ what they're showing, particularly if this is an incident from Krishna's childhood.
Debipriya thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
@Vrish, 

I guess Uddhava was elder to Krishna, but don't know 'where' it is mentioned, may be some other member can quote the 'exact source'. Don't know the name of his wife, or if there is any ref about her in any of the texts.

Regarding the 'addressing' pt - we have all those discussions previously also, about 'Bhaabi' and all... SP don't pay attention to all those details. πŸ˜”

Touching the feet of Krishna means to Surrender or to pay their Respect to the 'Divine Entity' in Him, (not paying attention to the 'age' of His mortal body) - I guess, in this way those scenes need to be interpreted.

This incident comes after Kans vadh, in Mathura (not in Dwarika, but I guess JSK haven't covered it, so they've decided to include it here in Dwarka). After Krishna-Balram  completed their student life and brought back the son of Guru Sandipani, they came back to Mathura and then in chp 46, 47 (of 10th Skanda of SB) we have this 'Uddhava Vraj Yatra' incident.

Vr15h thumbnail
Debi

Krishna may be a deity, but when they were on earth (Rama & Krishna), both of them recognized their elders as their superiors.  Krishna always paid homage to Vasudev, Devaki, Balarama, Kunti and other elders, just like Rama did for Dasharath and KSK.  It's not that all these didn't surrender to Vishnu, just that they happened to be the elders of his incarnations, and all of them went by those human relationships & statuses.

Also, SP did show Krishna doing charansparsh to not just Kunti, but Yudhisthir as well, and in his birthday celebrations, he did that to Balarama.  So it's not like they've been completely ignoring that aspect, just getting it wrong a lot of the time.
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
In Srimad Bhagavatham, it is clear that Uddhava is Krishna's younger cousin. While it is not mentioned specifically, from the language and the way the words are crouched, we can infer that Krishna is elder to Uddhava. 

What is definitely mentioned is Uddhava touching Krishna's feet and Uddhav treating Krishna as his senior. 

Why Krishna calls Mrs Uddhava (I doubt her first name was Savitri) Bhabhi , I am not sure...Do men  call their younger brothers' wives Bhabhi in North indian culture? 
Vr15h thumbnail
^^^^  No, they address them by name.  If the bhabi is elder, then and only then do they address them as bhabi or whatever the linguistic variations of that word are (boudi, etc...)
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Oh I see. But in Balika Vadhu, Suguna refers to Anandi as 'Bhabhi'  despite Anandi being Suguna's younger brother's wife. Hence my question.
Vr15h thumbnail
There are 2 things @ play here.  Relationship wise, bhabi is a term common to older brother's wife & younger brother's wife.  But when addressing, the older nanand is supposed to address the younger bro's wife by name, but if it's her older bro's wife, she's supposed to be addressed as bhabi, or 'name'-bhabi.  Same w/ the brothers.

I thought Sugna was younger, but that's another story.