Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
I feel that there is a time and place for everything. Slang, IMO, is perfectly acceptable in informal forum settings, chat rooms or emails.

However, slang should not impede the clarity of your writing in a way that it hampers someone else's understanding of your message.

I use slang and short-forms as well and dont see anything wrong with them. I dont want to always be worried about sounding articulate and "propah". As long as another person understands what I'm trying to say, it does not matter.

That being said, slang/short-forms in a formal setting such as the workplace, school or college is unacceptable.
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: rajeev_fan

saves ur time as words as shortened 😕

What are teans busy with that they need to save time ?????😉
mist thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

What are teans busy with that they need to save time ?????😉

😆😆 this just clicks in with my fav. dialog from rang de basanti . the one one 'sms generation'. aything above 3 lines becomes a lecture.

mist thumbnail

Originally posted by: ~PaKi*PrInCeZ~

OK from now on I am a big girl and i will write and speak and act..no no thats taking it too far 😆 like one. I promise to right in proper english all the time. Just because a person types like they are "uneducated"  does not mean that there is a lack of knowledge or education or writing ability in them 😳 and i for one will prove this to everyone. from now on all of my posts will not only be in real english but in well written paragraphs. i need to redeem myself and prove to others that i can write in an adult and sophisticated manner.

My main goal here is to post in a a more appealing style of writing so that others are inclined towards my posts and they read them and comment on them. If my slang creates a barrier between me and my goa,l i am willing to end this habit starting NOW

(PS: if aparna di can go through the trouble of searching the teen dictionary just for me i can go through the no-as-challenging task of writing in proper english 😳 )

Hi jav, I have always appreciated your spirit and your argument.. but to tell you the truth..I used to go crazy figuring out the slang in your posts 😆. Hope you dont tak offence. Anyways  really love the post above.

I am not averse to to slang but on Dm I really find it to be a turn off

zoya786uk thumbnail
i can right in real english like i am now its just that this is the new style of english and beleive me no one will forget how to write in real english you have to move on with styles gal and its not that hard wats the point in writing massive essays then feels like your at school and who says that when someone writes like that its like your talking to a four year old i am doing A level english but i still use slang does that make me stupid or something
gk_09 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
i dont really use slang...well sometimes and i think that we shoudnt onyl use it with our friends not in our educational or career life.
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
yea as mystica di said slang has a place and it MUST be avoided in all professional or serious situations
JinK thumbnail
I don't normally write in slang language, but sometimes when I am busy and writing with my left hand, I tend to write things like "u" instead of "you" and "close" instead of "topic closed because..." 😆 😳
jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
hey monica, i saw the title of your post and opened it to express my displeasure at the spelling.   ðŸ˜† i know i find it real annoying at these spellings. basically one gets the impression that this is a post written by a frivolous teen, and many a time, i have to tell myself to read the post. honestly, i am not impressed by slang. it is ok to use it with friends, when you speak probably, but when it comes to writing, and expressing your thought, i would rather have it in right english....
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: zoya786uk

i can right in real english like i am now its just that this is the new style of english and beleive me no one will forget how to write in real english you have to move on with styles gal and its not that hard wats the point in writing massive essays then feels like your at school and who says that when someone writes like that its like your talking to a four year old i am doing A level english but i still use slang does that make me stupid or something

zoya i am sure you can speak good english . But if one writes in a slang i assure you no adult will take this seriously .😆 If thats not important to and one is just chatting with tean friends , well then thats "kool" !!

If you don't like the way adults think . Well then , i am sure this will add to your list of things you find annoying about adults am sure.😉