Shrimad Bhagwad Geeta issue in Russia

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/bhagavad-gita-faces-extremist-branding-in-russia/212839-3.html

This is the current news on belief about Bhagwad Geeta in Russia.

I tried to post this yesterday actually but my message wasn't posted due to long Sanskrit words used without space in between possibly. Members please do give your input in the topic. Which verses do you think could the opponents have possibly taken as their base to prove Shrimad Bhagwad Geeta to be extremist? How would you give your interpretation of those verses to them? How would you advocate or would have advocated our case in front of the judicial system?

Give your views on the following verses (I have mine too but I will post later):

Adhyay 7: Verse 7

Mattah parataram naanyat, kinchidasti Dhananjaya..

Adhyay 7: Verses 20-23

Kaamaistaistai hritagyaanaahaa prapadhyantenya devataahaa...

...Labhate cha tatah kaamaan mayaiva vihitaan hi taan;
Antavat tu phalam teshaam, tad bhavati alpmedhasaam;
Devaan devayajo yaanti, madbhaktaah yaanti maamapi.

Adhyay 9: Verses 23-24

Yepyanyadevataah bhaktaah, yajante shraddhayaanvitaahaa
Tepi maameva Kaunteya, yajantyavidhipoorvakam.
Aham hi sarva yagnaanam bhoktaa cha Prabhureva cha...

Adhyay 18: Verse 66

Sarva dharmaan parityajya, maamekam sharanam vraj.

Now as against those verses, this one

Adhyay 4: Verse 11

Ye yatha maam prapadhyante, taanstathaiv bhajaamyaham;
Mam vartmaanuvartante, manushyaa Parth sarvasah.

Adhyay 10: Verse 41

Yad yad Vibhootimat satvam, Shrimad Oorjitamev va,
Tad tad evaavagachchha tvam, mam tejonsh sambhavam.

And in the same Adhyay of Vibhooti Yog, God puts Krishna's name among many illustrations. Vrishninaam Vaasudevosmi, even though HE is speaking through the body of Krishna only.

Adhyay 03: Verse 35
Adhyay 18: Verse 47

Shreyaan swadharmo vigunah, pardharmaat swanushthitaat...

Edited by ShivangBuch - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
RES for my comments
ShivangBuch thumbnail
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/russian-court-rejects-petition-for-banning-gita/893052/

The recent good news on the issue. The news material also indicates that the petition was on the ground that Geeta contains hatred for non-believers. Now hatred for non-believer is a very wide term. It includes even those who are born of other religions but are atheists and don't believe in any God (Even the form of God or messenger of God of their own religion).

Still the thread is open to discuss the views and interpretation on above verses irrespective of the incidents occurred. It can be regarded as a debate thread open forever. In my view, the term 'I' or 'Me' is very broad in every verses not just restricted to KRISHNA, and the term DHARMA is not related to any religious belief or group or community but with duty of individual in the society and in the profession. Also the term DEVTA in the verses refers not to any form of God giving salvation but different deities fulfilling different motives of individuals as per Hindu mythology.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Reserved for detailed comment, but basically it's going to echo what Shivang bhaiya said above: the essence of the Gita and Sanatan Dharm in its true broad sense is not about exclusivity or hierarchy - the words attributed to Shri Krishna can be applied to any name, aspect, of emissary of God from any part of the world and hold equal validity. It is the fault of the reader and not the text, if they interpret it otherwise and assume that it predicts unsavory consequences for those who identify with other faiths. I am glad the issue has been resolved and thank bhaiya for letting us know; yet another reminder of Satyameva Jayate.
Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I was also trying to find some verses which can be intrepreted as "extremist verses"but I could not find any.
Maybe they did not like that shri krishna talked about the "cast system"
I discussed this with some friends and my uncle. They said it is as in this century. Some people are calling the word "shudra"negative. We all thought that shudra also means being in someones service. Like I work in a restaurant so then I am also at someones service. Even in medical field people are in service of patients and in other industries as well.
I still cannot find offensive verses but that is because there are no offensive verses. I think people should look at the broader context as mentioned before.
ShivangBuch thumbnail
^^^Absolutely correct.

Each and everything in Geeta has broader deep essence. As you rightly put it, the Varnavyavastha is nothing but the functional classification based on individual personality/nature or profession (Spreading knowledge or education or healing or saving life, Fighting for and protecting people, Enterprising and prospering nation, Serving the employers with loyalty). Gunkarmavibhagayoho.

Can you give your interpretation on Adhyay 7 verse sequence 20-23? Particularly the part "Antvattu phalam tesham, tadbhavati alpmedhasam". And "Avyaktam vyaktimaapannam manyante maam abudhayah". Does this part mean that "People wrongly consider Supreme who is formless to be having form"? And if this is their interpretation (even if false interpretation) then also, on the contrary, actually it goes alright with all other religions in the world too because theory of formless Supreme is common in every religion and it is Hinduism actually which accepts the devotion of both Saakaar and Niraakaar (in fact in Geeta itself endorses both at other place - different Adhyays - if we try to harmonize this verse with other parts, the above interpretation doesn't seem to be harmonizing and must mean something deep). What can be the actual meaning of this verse I still wonder??!!!!

@Janaki

Yaar write something - just 1 line if you wish - in place of words reserved. Just change that word 'reserved' and whatever you will write will be precious and full of knowledge.