Maan-Diwani thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Kya hoga Ekta ka?

Balaji's head honcho talks about her two new shows

Subhash K Jha

Television tycoon Ekta Kapoor is on a high. While her foray into non-fiction programming, Kandy Floss has created quite a stir, with her new serial Kya Hoga Nimmo ka starts today. The serial is momentous for Ekta because it is her first on Star One

"Kandy Floss is catty, but not bitchy. But the response has been overwhelming and now I'm charged about Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka. Pataa nahin kya hoga Ekta ka," she says. "Also, it's my first soap for the new channel on Star; therefore it has to work not just for Balaji but for the channel too. The show is funny, yet it isn't a comedy; it's got drama but no melodrama. I promise no one's going to die and come back later," Ekta says.

So, this show is going to be a far cry from her past productions. "Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka is my version of the fairy tale Cinderella. Nimmo is in many ways like me — she has simple dreams and is waiting for the pumpkin to turn into a stage coach. And yet Nimmo is rooted to her middle-class upbringing. Those who've accused me of getting stereo typed in my soaps will see that I've changed to another format. Nimmo sticks to my style and yet ventures into a new territory. I'd say it's my tribute to the working-class comedies made by Basu Chatterjee and Sai Paranjpe. But at the same time, Nimmo's family is nothing like the Viranis in Kyunkii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi."

A couple of months ago, finding the actress to essay the role of Nimmo had involved a talent hunt. The search ended when they finalised on Sanjita after going through several applicants. "Sanjita has done a couple of films down South. She's new to Mumbai. As for Ejiaz Khan, he plays our Prince Charming in the serial and Navjot Singh Sidhu is the sutradhar, like the fairy godmother in Cinderella." 

As for being responsible for giving another fledgling channel a boost in the TRPs, Ekta says, "There're several other new soaps on the channel. Let's see if Nimmo helps them."

Talk veers to Ekta's other experiment, Kandy Floss. "In just a week's time Kandy Floss has ruffled quite a few feathers and it is going to get more irreverent. The interview with Sandhya Mridul and Rakhi Sawant was shocking. Kandy Floss isn't for the weak at heart. I guess Balaji is finally getting bold.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=19&am p;sectname=Television&sess=31865087

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angeleyes 2 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
thanks alot for sharing😆
ana1 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail