Kavita Krishnamurthy Chat Transcript

battosai64 thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

I was surfing the web and I found this chat transcript. It's sort of old but here's the link: http://www.rediff.com/chat/kavichat.htm

One part surprised me:

Sanjay (Mon Oct 18 1999 6:3 IST)
Kavita: What is your singing background? And how often do you practise classical music?

Kavita Krishnamurthy (Mon Oct 18 1999 6:9 IST)
Sanjay: I've learnt the basics, I'm not a classical singer, I sing more in the studios than what I practise at home. But I listen to a lot of classical music also.

How can someone not a classical singer sing all those classical-based songs like Main Vari Vari or the Devdas songs so brilliantly? 😲

P.S: Does anybody know if she has sung any songs on Tamil?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vinit_fan thumbnail

battosai64:

I was surfing the web and I found this chat transcript. It's sort of old but here's the link: http://www.rediff.com/chat/kavichat.htm

One part surprised me:

Sanjay (Mon Oct 18 1999 6:3 IST)
Kavita: What is your singing background? And how often do you practise classical music?

Kavita Krishnamurthy (Mon Oct 18 1999 6:9 IST)
Sanjay: I've learnt the basics, I'm not a classical singer, I sing more in the studios than what I practise at home. But I listen to a lot of classical music also.

How can someone not a classical singer sing all those classical-based songs like Main Vari Vari or the Devdas songs so brilliantly? 😲

P.S: Does anybody know if she has sung any songs on Tamil?

😕

dumbdame thumbnail
U may be mistaken. Read it pl Kavita is a desciple of PtJasraj. It is MrSanjay, who is saying did not take classical training. Edited by dumbdame - 18 years ago
affluent thumbnail

Originally posted by: adwarakanath

Thanks!

Well, genius comes in such packages 😉
Lata, Asha, Kavita make up the Indian Female Trinity for me. Kavita is next to Lataji in perfection.

How can someone little trained sing such songs?

Listen to SP Balasubramaniam's PURE carnatic classical in 'Shankarabharanam'. He was UNTRAINED till then. 😉 😉 😉

Or our very pyare Kishoreda singing 'mere naina sawan bhadon', 'chingari koi bhadke' or that song which looks so easy but is murder when you try to sing it - Ek Chatur Naar...Raag Desh 😉

Kavita used to be a dubbing singer for Lata when the music tracks are being prepared. This experience and talent took her to one of the best singers.

battosai64 thumbnail

Originally posted by: dumbdame

U may be mistaken. Read it pl Kavita is a desciple of PtJasraj. It is MrSanjay, who is saying did not take classical training.

No it is not MrSanjay who is saying it. The format of the chat is like that. WHenever she answers, she writes the name of the person who asked the question, then the reply. Is she still learning with Pt.Jasraj? or was it a while ago?

Dancnballa23 thumbnail
I had read that interview a while ago, and I was confused that she is not classical trained, but she sings as though she's a perfectionist in it. Edited by Dancnballa23 - 18 years ago
battosai64 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Dancnballa23

I had read that interview a while ago, and I was confused that she is not classical trained, but she sings as though she's a perfectionist in it.

She is classically trained. She learned Hinustani music b/c they couldn't find a good Carnatic music teacher where they lived. She also learned Rabindra Sangeet because her aunt urged her. I wonder if she is being modest by saying I only know the basics.

Dancnballa23 thumbnail

Originally posted by: battosai64

She is classically trained. She learned Hinustani music b/c they couldn't find a good Carnatic music teacher where they lived. She also learned Rabindra Sangeet because her aunt urged her. I wonder if she is being modest by saying I only know the basics.

👍🏼