sheetald thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Even though she's had her share of saas-bahu shows, she doesn't fall into that category. Always wanting to do something different, and live life her own way, Svetta Keswani admits she's a complete travel freak.

"I can't imagine doing anything else in my spare time. I wish I could sign up for an international travel show and get an all-expenses-paid trip to some of the most beautiful locations around the world."

After doing all the hard work, Keswani loves to pack her bag, and wander off on breathtakingly beautiful trails…

Svetta enjoying herself in the backwaters of Kerala

Kerala backwaters

I have been there twice, and it's my favourite place in India. The food is rich, with spices grown right in the surroundings. I've even been to Allepey, where the backwaters are.

Another place is Thekkady, which has tea gardens for miles, and also Periyar, famous for its wildlife.

The houseboats (made of cane) are really amazing. They take you into the backwaters with a cook and a guy who handles the wheel.

New Hampshire

I was staying with my brother in Boston last year, in the fall, when all the leaves turn shades of russet and yellow. This happens in very few countries and I was lucky to witness it.

Maple trees, out of which syrup is made, are the prettiest when they turn red. The whole area of New Hampshire is like a canopy of coloured trees. It's absolutely breathtaking.

We stayed in this gorgeous place that had a chimney, and the weather was chilly and foggy, with a slight drizzle. I also went to Mount Washington half way on the cable car. It's too high to walk, only those who are well trained can do it. 

KohSamuyi

My trip to Thailand was totally different from any other place. I indulged in loads of partying and ogling at some of the most gorgeous men on the planet. The beaches there are like Goa, but a million times better. I stayed in a shack on the beach for about $100 a week.

The houses or hotels have no fences on the island, where the Leonardo Di Caprio film, The Beach, was shot. The nightlife is just unbelievable. They have full-moon parties on an island called Koh Panyeng that go on non-stop for up to 48 hours.

Everyone on the island is in a festive mood, and not a single theft has been ever reported in that area for ages. The only thing to fear are road accidents. 

At Acadia National Park

Acadia Park

I went there on the July 4 weekend, with my brother and his wife. We took a tent and all kinds of camping equipment.

Acadia is a whacky place in the sense that it has mountains and beaches, and a mix of flora and fauna. We barbequed salmon, potatoes and mushrooms at night.

After that I went to went to seaside restaurants for lobster and wine by day. However, it gets too quiet at night, and for someone living in Mumbai, it's really difficult to handle so much silence. 

Svetta at the Jim Corbett National Park

Jim Corbett Park

They say that the tigers in Corbett are really shy and rarely come out.

I think that's absolutely true. I didn't manage to see a single tiger during my stay, but the entire region looks like it's out of a fairy tale. I took an elephant ride at Corbett , the best way to go on safari.

There were sambhar and other animals. At night, it was quite scary.

New York

I love New York. My favourite pastime there is to buy a weekly pass of the train and move around the place. I remember watching Chicago on Broadway, with Brooke Shields in it.

She was amazing, and they do all their singing on their own, along with acting. Then there are subways where people perform all kinds of stunts and entertain the public.