monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
The kklash
'Yes, Sony and I had a difference of opinion. Ekta Kapoor speaks. By Subhash K. Jha
Ekta Kapoor of Balaji Telefilms and (below) Tarun Katial of Sony Entertainment

The ever-forthright Ekta Kapoor has no qualms about admitting that she had a minor scuffle with Sony Entertainment, its head honcho Tarun Katial to be precise.

"I was rather annoyed with Tarun. They had left out my soap Kkusum from the invitation card of their party celebrating their successful soaps. Though Tarun said it was an oversight I thought it was a deliberate attempt to push our Kkusum hastily out of sight. Come on! Just because the soap was winding up it didn't mean it shouldn't have got a decent send-off."

The minor fracas is now forgotten. And the workaholic TV tycoon is now working on her new show — a TV gossip magazine called Kandy Floss for Sony. Giving the details of the format for the first time Ekta says, "We've never really had a gossip-and-information show about TV on TV before. Also, Balaji Telefilms hasn't really done much non-fiction…though we did do the Sunita Menon Show on Zoom which was very successful. But, yes, Kandy Floss is a first for us. And we're excited."

Besides a regular female anchor, Kandy Floss will have an animation creature called Kandy who'll take viewers through the party-gossip-info circuit on television. "It would be my tribute to Madame M, the fictional gossip writer whom I grew up reading in the magazine Cine Blitz ."

The anchor, though is not confirmed. Isn't Archana Puransingh talking about anchoring the show? "We're in negotiations. But some nitty-gritty needs to be worked out," says Ekta. Besides Kandy Floss on Sony, Ekta has two new fiction programmes coming up on Star One…Kya Hoga Nimmo Ka and Kasam Se. "We've already started casting for Nimmo. Though it will have a new face in the central role the supporting cast will comprise some very well-known veterans from stage and movies, never seen in my serials," promises Ekta.

Ekta is also thrilled with the remarkable recovery of ratings for Star's KkavyAnjali. "From being written off —almost — to now being our fourth-most popular soap on Star after Kyunki...Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi..., Kahanii Ghar Ghar Kii and Kasautii Zindagii Kay (just ahead of Kahiin To Hoga) we're very proud of KkavyAnjali and the support that Star offered. Star's COO Samir Nair assured me he wouldn't close down the show, come what may. That gave me the courage to go on."

As for the revival of Hum Paanch on Zee, Ekta says it's still not certain how successful it would prove to be. "The first few weekends were overshadowed by other events on rival channels. But I had no choice. The channel told me either I bring Hum Paanch back, or they'd do it themselves. How could I let someone else take over my show? I've revived two of my shows Mano Ya No Mano and Koi Haadsa Koi Haqeeqat successfully. Why not Hum Paanch?"

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1051216/asp/etc/story_5547585. asp

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Noor.T thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 18 years ago
thanx a lot for the article ! 😃
Noor