chatbuster thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

this is for all of HR's fans and maybe even some of us who have looked upon him or his music with some disdain in the past. It is confession time. It is in support of him.

(Am really looking for a serious conversation on this front. Please feel free to criticize, but i would hope we do so from an analytical bent rather than with just raw expressions of disgust. p.s. i will be out traveling tomorrow, so will not be around to field any comments/ questions for a while...)

fwiw, some of us have detested HR. i think it's quite fashionable to do so and subtly put down his teen audience as misguided and musically-uncultured. but the same youth has been responsible for leading important valuable changes in society throughout history .

i'd give HR credit for bringing on the "Indian rock" era more explicitly than's been done before. at least, we are now talking about it. how well any of his audiences really understand "rock" is questionable, but he's given folks back home that terminology for starters. u know, when the Beatles first landed in America, from what i gather, they did introduce a new music. a lot of the older folks from that era hated the looks, the life-style and the music. however, over time, the Beatles went on to create history and shape the music landscape for all time. maybe rock had an earlier genesis in the U.S., but it was the Beatles who made rock really popular.

i would hate to be known as one of those "closed-minded" folks who slammed the Beatles. i would similarly hate to be known as one of the guys who impeded valuable transformations in Indian music, perhaps being initiated by HR today. in any case, the entire American transition process from a soft 50s sound to the 60s style was chaotic. and it was reflected in the confusion and the free-wheeling hippie life-style of that era. We have some of that free-wheeling rain-dance and techno-metal life-style in Indian metros today. today, western music is better off for all of that chaos.

who is to say that Indian music will not similarly benefit from the HRization that we have seen so far? i think it's always dangerous to dismiss new trends as fads. most are, but some go on to make long-lasting impacts.of course, with any progress, whether it's in the field of national economics or music, there are segments that are left behind and suffer. but in general, we end up with progress, more choices and general upliftment. perhaps some aspect of our traditional music will suffer in comparison (as happens in any field of progress), but i am an optimist when it comes to believing that on average we'll be better off. i dont think some of the olden goldies type of music we like will ever go away, just that the new music will perhaps capture the fast expanding part of the market.

when it's late nite and it's party-time, some of us do enjoy the songs with a beat, with the rock in it, the HR type of songs. There are times and there are moods. There is a time for Lata, Asha, Kishore, Rafi, Manna Dey or Hemant Kumar. But i think there is also a time to "Lest Rack". A world without choices and without variety would be a boring one.

for all who say that HR or someone is untrained in the classical style, who cares? what i want to find is appeal, not necessarily how someone got there. if someone can belt out a great song without training, more power to them. conversely, you cld have someone who is very well-trained but still flunk the grade.

on another level, i have always been very suspicious of folks who claim to be intellectuals, academics and "trained". they usually carry the most baggage around and ironically are the least open to change. a lot of the important developments on Wall Street and elsewhere have happened in the research and quant groups of corporations, not universities.

there is also a question of adoption. when i first saw the new Mercedes and BMW models, i hated the new look. i thought they had messed up. but over a period of time, i find more appeal with the new models, less with the old. Who is to say that we will not somehow undergo a similar mind-change when it comes to HR and his music?

who are we anyway to say what is good or what is not? what folks should listen to and what they should not? we have understood the importance of opening up our markets, of having more choices than just Ambassadors and Fiats. Should we not have more choices with music as well, the sort that is being brought about by HR? Isn't the entire process of evolution one of dialectic growth, two steps forward one step back?

who knows? for all we know, maybe HR is the guy who will be known in future for bringing on important changes in Indian music. God forbid?

Edited by chatbuster - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

soulsoup thumbnail
I need to digest the post (by atleast reading 4 times) to understand the underlying message of the post.

Afterall it's from Chatbuster - the most expert 'backhand slap' guy of IF πŸ˜‰

Just one comment

Originally posted by: chatbuster

when it's late nite and it's party-time, some of us do enjoy the songs with a beat, with the rock in it, the HR type of songs. There are times and there are moods. There is a time for Lata, Asha, Kishore, Rafi, Manna Dey or Hemant Kumar. But i think there is also a time to "Lest Rack". A world without choices and without variety would be a boring one.

Completely agree - I always listen to 'Jhalak dikhlaja …ekbar aaja aaja" in the morning – it always works. πŸ˜‰

Just kidding πŸ˜†

Edited by soulsoup - 18 years ago
Bratati_0712 thumbnail

Originally posted by: anshu03

Abe soulsoup, yaar tu kya kar raha hai ! Mere HR ke gaanon ko kuch aisa -waisa bola na, toh i will send you the link to the song 'Aati Nahin...Aati nahin'.
Sab kuch band ho jayega !!! πŸ˜‰   πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

whats da link?

can u giv it 2 us pls😊

simplyskud thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Nice article, CB.

However, I'll be back later to disagree with you.

Rock influence in hindi music ? Wasn't it there (in context of hindi film music) in the 70-80s as well ? When rock / punk music was introduced in the global arena, it immediately manifested itself in the Indian market as well .... similarly the disco mania. I don't think HR's music is the foundation of something for tomorrow ... I just attribute it to an astute feel of the music pulse of the generation next and brilliant marketing. It's like knowing what sells these days and being able to manufacture the same ....

Anyway, will come back later. All the same, a nice post CB ....

πŸ˜‰
Morgoth thumbnail
The introduction of rock music is not the problem for me. I like rock music (w/ the exception of Hard rock). The problem is that it's copied from Pakistani Rock Groups and artists (Ali Zafar, etc). There is no creativity here.

Honestly, I did not have the time to listen to the other songs by Pak Artists, except Marjaawan (which is a blatant copy), so I could not comment, but I finally managed to listen to them. At least if you cannot make a new song, credit the source of your "inspiration"!

Frankly, HRization is an offshoot of AnuMalikism (which was an offshoot of BappiLahirism). Nothing new. Old wine in new bottle for Indian Music at least.
coolsaints11 thumbnail
I myself generally don't go to night clubs etc..but one of my close friend invited me to a bachelor's party...I was shocked to hear the music....I knew each and every tune which was being played except the lyrics were in English...

I can tell you at least, 40 percent of the songs played there were heard by me in Hindi albums..Question is who copied whom...it was the ditto tunes..no difference..people were dancing like crazy...I know the same tunes played in Indian parties with hindi lyrics are getting the same response...people are dancing...that music is good for dancing/exercise every where..

I agree the new music brings variety, it also make us more appreciative of the old beautiful lyrics which are hard to find these days..
soulsoup thumbnail

Originally posted by: vinit_rocks

whats da link?

can u giv it 2 us pls😊

πŸ˜† Hic... 🀒
RIP: Died by 'laughing the gut out'

vinit_rocks you are really cute 😊
soulsoup thumbnail
Angshu / Chatbuster - not to defame HR, but do you really think HR did something groundbreaking?
I mean is there something totally different which we haven't heard before? Then where the analogy with Beatles is coming from?
sarah.oamng thumbnail
your post is very well written...it provokes a HR non-fan like myself to believe for a second that yes maybe HR has brought a revolution in indian music..after all his music does appease to the masses.... but after regainin my senses i am yet to become his fan.. i would rather listen to many of the upcoming singers from pakistan first hand rather than havin to listen to a second-hand well packaged song..(actually as a fact i really do enjoy listenin to most of the upcomin pakistani singers..some of their melodies r very soulful..) HRs creations r not like new models of cars but a refurbished version of an slighlty outdated one

but still u deserve credit for ur writin...HR can use u the intellectual aspect of his campaign πŸ˜‰ ..if there is one.. Edited by sarah.oamng - 18 years ago
simplyskud thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: soulsoup

Angshu / Chatbuster - not to defame HR, but do you really think HR did something groundbreaking?
I mean is there something totally different which we haven't heard before? Then where the analogy with Beatles is coming from?

Defame HR ? Just by questioning his work as groundbreaking or not ?? Nope ... agree with you that HR hasn't brought in any kind of revolution in the music scenario aka the beatles. Even T agrees.

What HR actually does well is "blend and gel".  With inspirations from different tunes (even different countries), he makes sure to pep his songs with a kind of upbeat rhythm/tempo, that he knows very well will appeal to the "young" crowd ... the crowd that spends a lot these days. In other words, his song becomes a hit because it translates into a lot of copies sold .... but does he appeal to people of all age ? Anyone can guess the answer .....

Bottomline : Disagree with CB (like you and T.) that HR's music is groundbreaking ....

πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜‰