Changing trends-Role of Women in TV

Pradarshak thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

I guess most of you would agree that the teleserials are so much overdramatized and life is so eventful for the central characters. But of course this what we like to watch, so they create.

Before(mainly in movies) it was the male characters(negetive or positive) more powerful(except for few Saas(Lalita pawar)-bahu(Bindu)). Now I can see in most of the daily soaps , it is the women power that has emerged out as powerful ones, negetive or positive( at least 2-3 strong characters). The story goes by their actions.

Do you think it is because the time is changing or percentage of female viewership of daily soaps is greater than male?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sowmyaa thumbnail
I would say, time is changing!

Pradarshak, thats a good observation and it is true as well. I think women role in society is changing drastically. Women have become more independant than before. Most of the actress in old bollywood cinema (age of nuta, madhu bala) they were most of the time coming to glamor world as their necessity. Today women are coming to this industry by their choice. Women are definetly bold than before. We see women in all the fields, take it astronomy, teaching, medicine, financing, movies, anything you name we have huge number of women population. So it's obvious that no one wants to sit at home and watch male domination on TV. Audience is fascinated to see women's aggressive and main rold on screen.Edited by sowmyaa - 18 years ago
Pradarshak thumbnail
I guess so, you are right. 😊
fizzles thumbnail

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

I would say, time is changing!

Pradarshak, thats a good observation and it is true as well. I think women role in society is changing drastically. Women have become more independant than before. Most of the actress in old bollywood cinema (age of nuta, madhu bala) they were most of the time coming to glamor world as their necessity. Today women are coming to this industry by their choice. Women are definetly bold than before. We see women in all the fields, take it astronomy, teaching, medicine, financing, movies, anything you name we have huge number of women population. So it's obvious that no one wants to sit at home and watch male domination on TV. Audience is fascinated to see women's aggressive and main rold on screen.

I agree, good point....😊

*Oo dreamer oO* thumbnail
Originally posted by: Pradarshak

Do you think it is because the time is changing or percentage of female viewership of daily soaps is greater than male?

I would say that it's a bit of both. Time is definitely changing and like people said women have become more independent. But I wouldn't say that it is the only factor in the way that women are portayed in soaps.

A reason why women are shown as the decision makers in soaps is so that it has a positive influence on the audience. It SHOWS a large population of women in india that watch these soaps their potential. India is a large country and not all women can be so independent, a lot of whom that watch such soaps. The younger generations perhaps can be said are definitely more independent. If we watch the adverts that are shown in the breaks we can see that women are still portrayed in stereotypical roles. What kind of mixed messages are these?!