Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

N Sinha thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Originally posted by: bela ke fool

The singer referred by Kavitaji is Kishori Amonkar and not Kishoria mankar. It is a typographical mistake.

Kishori Amonkar is a great singer from Jaipur Gharana.

Her mother was Mogubai Kurdikar, disciple of the great Ustad Alladiya Khan. It is true that she is one of her kind in a century.

thanks mam..........

N Sinha thumbnail
IT Is actually a great interview........
uselogic thumbnail
gtfp again..great post..shit i didnt read this article..

request to every body , if there is a godo article on musci please do an gtfp
luvmusic thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I had the previlige of catching up with her at Bangalore airport once....cudnt converse for long... definitely one of the great contemporay singers.Besides her I also like Shankar Mahadevan,Hariharan,Sonu Nigam.

Years ago, when I was a kid, I heard Shankar Mahadevan and Sanjeev Abhyankar in Spirit of Unity concerts.It had such an impact on me....both the artistes got immersed and sang so brilliantly that I still get shivers when I think of the concert.If anybody has a recording of it could you plz post it?Shankar Mahadevan was very young then and was still doing lot of Carnatic concerts.
ab_srgmp thumbnail
I liked her in '1942'.

GTFP.

BTW, Niraj, after reading your posts, I 've been able to appreciate music in a different dimension...actualy listen to the individual instruments being used to create the overall harmony. Thanks.
N Sinha thumbnail
I wish all these programmes are aired on Zee/Star etc.
Qwest thumbnail

Q: So, initially, were you doing only stage shows?
A: No Apart from shows with Hemantda and , Mannada I also started singing advertising jingles in 14 different languages. A very good friend of my youngest brother was in advertising and when he heard in Bombay, he immediately asked me to sing for his products.

Q: Which was the first jingle you sang? Can you remember?
It was for Amul Spray. Yes, I remember that day very well. Because the Bengali version was being sung by Geeta Dutt. I was so thrilled to meet her that It down and touched her feet. It was Guru Dutts youngest brother who was producing the jingles.

Kavita: I feel emotional about certain songs

Q: After your classical music background how did it feel to do such things?
A: Well, I slowly got used to the commercial mind. It also gave me a sense of confidence as I used to be very crowd -shy.

Q: Were you doing anything else ?
A: Yes, TV programmes. I had already done a few of them in Delhi. Coincidentally, one of the Delhi TV producers got transferred to Bombay and he asked me to participate in the 'Aarohi' and 'Sham-e-Ghazal' programmes. I was very lucky really. Without much effortall these things came my way and I got exposure in the advertising, TV and stage media. Since I was supporting myself that money came in handy.
   But when my father saw that I was serious about pursuing a career in Bombay, he bought this flat for me so that I could move out of my PG digs.

Q: When did you first sing for films?
A: The first time I sang for the screen was for a Bengali film called 'Shriman Prithviraj', for Hemantda. It was only four lines but it was with the greatest Lata Mangeshkar. My life was made!

My first Hindi song was for 'Kadambarj' but I sang an old Lata Mangeshkar number -'Aayega aanewala. aayega'- which Shabana Azmi sings at a party in the film.

Q And when did you get the first real break?
A:
In 1979, for 'Maang Bharo Sajana'. I used to dub for Laxmikant Pyarelal who thought I was some distant cousin of Hema's. The first time there was some emergency and they asked me to help out. Thereafter I did a number of dubbings for them. It was only in'79 that I sang my own number.

Q: Wasn't it depressing dubbing for others and having the final version sung by somebody else?
A: Occasionally I'd feel emotional about certain songs. But this was good for me as a singer. Since I had never really struggled for anything, I thought it was good to know some pain. I think struggle is essential for any artiste
   It was only when my father suddenly died that I realised what life was all about. I was then 20 and for a whole year I became an absolute recluse. That is when Mannada became for me a father-figure.

Q: Then in 1983 came 'Pyar Jhukta Nahin' 

when you really got noticed. What were you doing in between?
A:
Apart from singing for a lot of regional films (Bhojpuri, Bengali, Assamese and others), I sang forfilms like'Hum Lajawab', 'Boxer f or R D Burman.

Q: R D Burman? One would think his wife would have a monopoly?
A:
Somehow I have never felt that Ashaji or Lataji have prevented others from singing. Panchamda's (R D Burman) assistant, Sapan Chakravarty, had heard me in Calcutta, and he suggested my name to Panchamda. Initially, they wanted me to sing for a Bengali film but that didn't work out and I started singing for Hindi films for them.

Q: What do you have to say to Lata Mangeshkar's observation that the new singers don't work hard enough and that's why they don't make a mark?
A:
That's not true. I am sure all of us - Anuradha Paudwal, Alka Yagnik, Sadhna Sargam - work very hard. If we had S D Burman telling us, "I want you to record this song a month from today and I want you to come for rehearsals everyday,- we'd readily do it.
   But today the system is very different. Very often we record the song directly. Otherwise we are called for a rehearsal just the evening before. Earlier they used to rehearse for 15-20 days before the actual recording.
    With institutions like Lataji and Ashaji before us we've had to work much harder. They've set the standards. For the men it's different. Kishore Kumar, Mohammed Rafi - they didn't have any classical training. So the male newcomers feel that if they have a melodious voice they can become singers. For us it's much tougher because of the kind of examples we have before us. It's just that today music directors are not as demanding as they used to be. Money has become a little harder to get. All these things count.

Q: Talking of changing times, why is it that while earlier the singers sang according to the stars they were lending their voices to, today it is difficult, if not impossible, to recognise the star whom the song has been picturised on?
 A:
Very often we are not even told for which artiste we are singing. We have to ask for this information. But then just knowing the name doesn't help much. We should be familiar with their voices. For instance, the other day, I recorded a song for Kimi Katkar. She is one of the newer faces on screen and

Edited by Qwest - 18 years ago
Qwest thumbnail

Originally posted by: N Sinha

I wish all these programmes are aired on Zee/Star etc.

Sinha ji, we all miss your great post. So I thought I would like Honour you by revisiting your thread which you have left for us hope here from you soon.
Qwest thumbnail
Description : Reviews on: Five Best songs of Kavita Krishnamurthy
Five Best songs of Kavita Krishnamurthy
Kavita Krishnamurthy (now Subramaniam), in my opinion, is one of the most under-rated singers present in the Hindi film industry today. She has sung some great songs, some of which have awarded her while some have not. I am now selecting her best songs which are my choices. But first a small introduction of Kavitaji.

Introduction:

Kavita Krishnamurthy was born to a South Indian family in Delhi, she was taught Hindustani classical music and Rabindra Sangeet from a young age. Then Kavita moved to Mumbai to be as a professional singer with her aunt. A St Xavier's college (Mumbai) graduate, she began her career singing for Hemant Kumar, also recorded songs for music director Manna Dey. She has worked with industry greats such as R D Burman and Laxmikant Pyarelal.

However, Kavita has sung complicated songs to perfection. Her voice is soothing to hear. She sings different kinds of songs. She is married to violin proponent Dr L Subramaniam and the duo performs together occasionally.

In my opinion more than freshness there is more substance and maturity in her voice which is why I guess she doesn?t tend to sing all kind of songs.

My choices:

(1)Ye Dil Sun Raha Hai-Khamoshi-The Musical--Jatin-Lalit.

This one song from Khamoshi still rules my heart. An awesome slow number with Kavita singing her heart out. Although this particular song didn?t get the success that it deserved but still those who have heard this song love it and me too. Actually apart from this song it was this particular album which gave much recognition to Kavita. I can?t write more on this song because somehow I don?t have this song right now.

(2)Paigaam-Lakeer---A.R.Rahman

Well I had included this song in Shaan?s best 5 songs, included in my list of top 10 songs of 2004 and again I have to include it in Kavita?s best tracks too. This one is an absolute gem from A.R.Rahman. A romantic duet which is sang excellently by both Shaan as well as Kavita Subramaniam. The song begins with sound of winds blowing and then the slow music takes over. Shaan then starts singing this song and Kavita follows. The songs takes a fast note somewhere in the middle and then comes to its original pace. The flute plays a very important part in this song and is well complimented by the singers. <>

(3)Bin tere Sanam-Yaara Dildaara--Jatin-Lalit

A peppy romantic number with some great music and singing by both singers. When the first time I heard the song I couldn?t believe initially that it was Kavita?s voice. It sounded so young. The song starts of with guitar strings and drums forming typically a club atmosphere. Then Kavita takes over and sings the notes with Udit Narayan. After the initial voices Udit sings the lines of the song to perfection along with great support from Kavita. Perfect song to hear at any occasion.

(4)Dola re Dola-Devdas--Ismail Darbar

A fast paced number. This time its not a male-female singer singing together. It?s a duet with two female leads one is Kavita and to compliment her there is Shreya Goshal. Both of them sing and do the ?Jugalbandi? and the result is before us-a great song. Not to mention the fast paced music by Ismail Darbar is great to listen too but it?s the voice of Kavita which impresses the most.

(5)Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam-HDDCS-Ismail Darbar

A sad slow romantic number. Begins with a sadistic note to it and then the music starts of. Kavita then takes over and sings Hum Dil de chuke Sanam? along with Mohammad Salamat (I am not sure about the male singer). The way in which Kavita sings the songs especially before the male lead sings is just amazing. The best time to hear this song is at night specially when you are out with loved one on a long drive.

O.K its time to end my selection. I guess this is my shortest rvu of all. Hope it went well.
Qwest thumbnail

Kavita Krishnamurthy
Winner: IIFA Award for Best Female Playback Singer (2003)
Song: Dola Re Dola
Movie: Devdas

Winner: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (2002)
Song: Dola Re Dola

Winner: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1996)
Song: Aaj Main Upar
Movie: Khamoshi The Musical

Winner: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1995)
Song: Mera Piya Ghar Aaya
Movie: Yaraana

Winner: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1994)
Movie: 1942 - A Love Story

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (2002)
Song: Maar Dala

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (2001)
Song: Dheeme Dheeme
Movie: Zubeidaa

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1999)
Song: Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
Movie: Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1999)
Song: Nimbooda
Movie: Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1997)
Song: I Love India (Part 2)
Movie: Pardes

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1997)
Song: Dhol Bajne Laga
Movie:

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1995)
Song: Pyar Ye Jaane Kaisa
Movie:

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1994)
Song: Tu Cheez Badi Hai Mast
Movie: Mohra

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1992)
Song: Tu Mujhe Kabool
Movie: Khuda Gawah

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1991)
Song: Saudagar Sauda Kar
Movie: Saudagar

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1990)
Song: Chandni Raat Hai
Movie: Baaghi

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1989)
Song: Na Jaane Kahan Se
Movie: Chalbaaz

Nominated: Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer (1985)
Song: Tumse Milkar Na Jane
Movie: Pyar Jhukta Nahin