Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 12 years ago

DISCONTINUED
Edited by SmokingDreams - 12 years ago
abandoned thumbnail
r t    d  e

Dreams and hopes are the reason people live, people with no job say. For her, it was different. A reservoir of emotions that she was, she lived because she had to prove herself. Prove that she was much more than just an orphan. Having lived all her 20 years in an orphanage, she knew how to be strong.

Handsome as he was, he was flawed. He had his fears, his insecurities. He din't have what one called a life. Stuck up as an extremely dignified professional police officer at the Interpol, he still found something in life amiss. How far would he go to complete it.

"Come On, wake up. You have got to an interview, remember?" Muskaan pulled off Ridhima's blanket from her, leaving her eyes to squint at the sun rays.

"You up. Before me," stated Ridhima, knowing that this day was definitely going down in history.

"Exactly. Which gives you a reason to wake up for my extraordinary sacrifice. Now GET UP," urged Muskaan as Ridhima pushed her still-sleepy body up against gravity and opened her eyes completely.

"Are you seriously jobless?" groaned Ridhima.

"Not me. You are. And that's why you woke up. To get a job. Now go," commanded Muskaan.

"Jeez, I can't believe you woke me up. Have this happened before?" dug Ridhima, making a deep-in-thought face

"Nope, it hasn't. and you are lucky you had me to wake you. It's 8:30 already. And- " blabbered Muskaan.

"What? Its 8:30 already. Muski! You suck at waking people up. You need to practice. Now move," advised Ridhima as though waking people up was a professional job. Muskaan 'HAWed' before her and Ridhima went upto her and gave a smiley smack with her shoulders onto hers.

Ridhima was still bathing when the breakfast bell rang. She showered the soap off her body and came out in her dripping, clad in her towel. Muskaan was not there. She hurried in her dressing up. 

Selecting a dress was never an issue. She grabbed the one on the left most corner, a light midnight blue suit and quickly dressed up. Unlike any ordinary girl, she put minimal make up. Though minimal make up in her words, was just kohl and vaseline on her lips. 

"John. I need a favor," he asked his senior.

"Yeah, sure. Go on."

"Leave. I need leave indefinitely." 

"What? Why suddenly?" asked a surprised John. Never, never has Armaan Mallik asked for leave. He was the one who worked even on off days.

He looked straight into his senior's face. John, perfectly read the absolute need in his face.

"Okay."

Armaan sighed, and left the room after a brief talk with John.

He was packed already. He just had to leave. He called up the travel agent and confirmed his ticket details. 

His cell rang. Eyeing the unfamiliar number, he hesitated a little. Then he went on to hit the green button.

"I heard someone is going on a vacation." The voice, he knew too well. He gritted his teeth in anguish as cruel, cold laugh emerged from the other side of the phone.

p a r t 2 : g o d

Breakfast at 'The Nest' was a truly chatty affair. What with 26 people of different ages, talking at the loudest possible voices. A heaven on earth for all of them, the orphanage was their little place of complete solace and love. They lived like a family and they fought for each other that way. Ridhima saw the noisy 'Nesters' around the long dining table as she came down the stairs. She couldn't help but smile.

"Why are you quiet, Armaan?" the dead, cold voice hissed. "Scared, eh?"

"You won't touch her, Burt," he whispered, his anger showing on his fists.

"You know. I love confident people. But you just forgot that your confidence is against me."

"If you fear your life, don't you dare even place your eyes upon her." 

Burt laughed hysterically. "How could I not? She was the only one you truly treasure. I mean, your mom's gone and dad's okay. You went too far with Ben. You think I will be able to keep myself sustained till I get my revenge."

"Ben got what he deserved. You will, too. I will see to it."

"We will see." Burt disconnected, leaving Armaan to close his eyes as her vivid image, came upon him.

Why on earth did he drag himself to her life?

"The interview went well," Ridhima spoke as she sipped her coffee.

"Are you telling me that just to stop me from talking," Muskaan voiced her doubts.

"Nope. It seriously did go well. Hopefully I will get the job."

"Good girl." Muskaan smiled as they enjoyed their little coffee time.

"Not again. Oh God! Don't you ever get tired of reading his books?", Muskaan frowned.

"Nopsy. They are so romantic. I mean, Nicholas Sparks. Come on, Muski. Anyone will hit you if you say you cannot stand his books." Ridhima defended her favorite set of books with promptness.

"But they are truly of no use. Just the same thing over and over. Slight difference in how they meet, how they are, that's it. In the end, they kiss, they propose and they marry or break up forever calling it sacrifice. It's so.. unreal. Yeah, that's the word," Muskaan's long rant made Ridhima to run around Muskaan with the book in her hand. She chased her all over their room. Muskaan giggled and when they finally dropped into their beds, they fell asleep like two logs.

Next day morning brought good news. Receiving a call from the Mallik Enterprises conveying that she was appointed for the job, brought huge smiles adorning Ridhima's cheeks.

Muskaan, displayed her happiness distributing sweets out to everyone.

When suddenly, Muskaan's cell rang, she looked at the number. Only to blush in the end. Ridhima noticed her adorable friend turn pink on the cheeks, and she could only guess why as she saw Muskaan inch away from the wall. 

The curious Ridhima, went upto her and upon seeing her, Muskaan said a quick 'goodbye'.

"Who was it?" asked Ridhima, her eyes narrowing in curiosity.

"Just an old friend," waved off the blushing Muskaan.

"Really? A friend whom I don't know?" played Ridhima.

"Why? I can't have friend whom you don't know."

"Hmm Okay." Ridhima let go of the conversation, knowing well that Muskaan herself would come upto her and tell everything.

Ridhima watched Muskaan walk away, avoiding her gaze. 

abandoned thumbnail

p a r t 3 : e n i g a

"Ms.Ridhima?" confirmed the receptionist.

"Yeah. That should be me," answered Ridhima with a smile.

"Okay. So you are joining today?" 

"Of course."

"Great! I will have Sid assist you for today. Good Luck."

"Thank You."

Ridhima awaited for the man named Sid, whose actual name turned out to Sidhanth. He was a cute and lively guy, eager to help Ridhima in every possible ways. He introduced Ridhima to his friends in the office and all of them soon hit a rapport.

"Vivi?"

"Armaan? OMG. Is that really you? How are you?" Vivek almost screamt in excitement. It had been ages, like real long ages since he talked to Armaan last.

"I am fine. But right now, I want you to listen to me carefully." Armaan said seriously.

"OOkay," said Vivek, his joyous voice faltering a little.

"I need you to protect a girl named Ridhima. She lives in Mumbai. She is in terrible danger at the moment. Please, give her the maximum protection you can. Keep her in your eyes each second," pleaded Armaan, close to being vulnerable.

"Okay Okay. I will handle it. But what about her? I mean how AND why are you into this?" asked Vivek, unable to comprehend the over- exertion Armaan was putting into the whole thing.

"Because I am responsible for bringing her into this mess," managed Armaan, whispering, as though his elixir was dropping.

"What mess? And for goodness sake, how are you responsible for some lady bring in trouble?" Vivek said, sounding highly tensed.

Armaan let out a huge sigh. "I will tell everything when I get back."

"YOU ARE GETTING BACK? OMG?," Vivek found his lost happiness once again, as he yelped at the news of Armaan coming back.

"Yeah, tonight. Will you pick me up? Get Atul and Rahul, too. Okay?"

"Of course. OKAY OKAY. You are finally getting back."

"Yeah, I am. Will call you later. Okay."

"Okay. Happy homecoming," grinned Vivek.

Armaan returned a forced chuckle and then disconnected.

She was lost in thought. Her set alarm had just rung showing the message 'It's 2 years now'. She gulped hard. 2 years. Had it really been that long? She din't know. It was a long forgotten memory, yet it was one incident that deeply etched somewhere inside her. A story she had kept dark within her. For she din't know what to expect, what to think or even what to feel about it. 

As an immense surge to pick her black leather-covered, buttoned diary and scribble what came into her, she grabbed her handbag and dug in her petite fingers. She had barely touched the soft edges of the diary when Sid trotted to her and informed her that their boss, Mr.Mallik was to meet her.

Her thought all forgotten, she suddenly felt slightly nervous at this meeting. She had never seen her boss before. Her interview too was done by the General Manager because Mr. Mallik had an emergency appointment then. She thanked Sid for the news and then prayed for a minute before she left for Mallik's cabin. 

p p

Nervous on the inside, yet posing as the confident professional, she pushed the glass door to face the aging man in a well tailored suit. His dignified smile with the fatherly look impressed her and she could feel her insides calm down steadily.

"So Ms. Ridhima. Welcome to the Mallik Enterprises," he said warmly, dropping the file in his hand and giving her his full attention.

"Thanks a lot, sir," answered Ridhima, politely.

"Aaja Ridhima. Beto. Aapko utkar baat karne ki koi zaroorat nahi," he said gently.

"Thank You, sir." Saying so, she took a seat in front of Mr. Mallik. 

"So dear. I called you here to discuss about our new client. "

Ridhima gazed at him perplexed.

I want you to handle them. The presentations, the negotiations, everything. Okay?"

Overwhelmed, Ridhima paused to stare with wide eyes, letting out a soft 'OMG'. As a new entree to the office, she least expected to be given such important jobs for at least months. But this already on her first day. She found it hard to digest.

Billy Mallik smiled. Although his real name was Dev Mallik, people close to him called him Billy lovingly, right from his childhood. Known as the perfect businessman, he was the kind who did business for more than just profits. His beliefs in giving chances to everything in life were not so welcoming in their world, yet his rise proved that money is not the only driving force. With Ridhima, that's what he planned to do. He had far experienced and US, UK qualified people working under him, but he chose to go for an ordinary graduate whose first job is this itself. He could see the longing to be noticed in her and he knew he had it in her. He was seeing her for the first time, but her body language revealed what she was to him. And if he had any doubts till then about giving the job to a new appointment, he had it all gone by now.

"You can do it, dear. I am sure you will do a fantastic job," Billy said, an encouraging smile drawing up his face.

Ridhima, gaining confidence thanked him from her heart and the duo spent the next half an hour discussing the topic.

"Thank You very much, sir. I will give it my best shot," assured Ridhima.

"I know you will, dear."

As he saw the last of Ridhima's silhouette through the glass door, he pulled out his cell from his drawer and checked it, only to realize that he had received 3 calls during his talk with Ridhima. He stared upon seeing the number. No sooner had he regained himself, he connected quickly. His son's calls always ignited him.

"Hello..Armaan?", his soft tone echoed Armaan's ears.

"Dad. It's me." Armaan paused. He was such a pathetic son. He had left his father all alone and escaped into this world he had created for himself. It stung him that his father hadn't retaliated to anything and was still so pure in his love for him. "How are you?", he continued after mustering courage.

"Right now, everything is perfect," he answered calmly while Armaan's lips curved a little on the other side. "How are you?," Billy continued, eager at listening more from Armaan.

"I am doing good, Dad," Armaan said shortly. He still din't have any idea why he deserved these kind words. 

"So batao, Armaan. Wahaan sab kaise chal rahe hai?"

"Going well, dad. Umm dad?"

"Haan mera Kuperpie, kya hai?" 

Armaan thought he would break down then and there. Kuperpie. His first ever and last forever name given by his beloved parents. He had always loved Superman, but due to an early defect in his childhood he could never pronounce 's'. He remembered well how his mother always called him her 'cutie pie'. But he forced her to change it because it seemed 'girlish'. That's when his 'momma' had merged Kuperman and cutie pie to Kuperpie and whenever his parents loved him little too much, owing to the fact he was their only son, he felt homely; as though he had nothing to fear. It seemed like a blessing in disguise that his father address him 'kuperpie' and wrap him invisibly exactly when he needed it.

"Dad, I don't know what to do," he strained very much to keep himself in control and hearing this, Billy sat up straight. He could not bear to hear his son upset.

"Armi, c'mon tell me, son. Tumhe acha lagega," Billy encouraged him.

"Dad, I had come to Mumbai once, 2 years back for work purposes. I din't inform anyone. I couldn't. And..." he continued with his fictional reality that today formed the basis of his fears.

Billy heard, swallowing in every word Armaan spoke. He had never heard of such a thing. Ever. But considering it was his son involved, he din't find a reason to disbelieve it.

"So, what are you going to do?", asked Billy when finally Armaan had stopped to lung in air.

"I am coming there. She does not deserve to be hurt because of me."

"You.. You are coming back? OMG, Armi. When? I mean, Come soon. You know, We will sort everything out."

"Yeah, dad. I know. I am coming tonight. Aapko takleef lene ki zaroorat nahi. Vivi, Ral and Atul will be there to pick me. I'll..I will come home as soon as I land." 

"Okay, beta. Main tumhara intezaar karunga."

"Mm hmm, Dad. Main rakh loon?"

"Ek minute, Armi."

"Kya hai, Dad?"

"What's her name?" Billy couldn't contain himself from asking.

"Oh! Its.. It's Ridhima, Dad."

"Come again???"

"Ridhima. Kya hua, Dad?"

"Can you describe her?"

"Umm, she is fair, petite and ummm.. what else. Kyun?"

"Give me something a lil more specific."

"Specific? Oh Oh! yeah she has emerald eyes. Piercing kinda eyes. Dad, why do you want all this info? You know her?"

"As a matter of fact, I think I do."
abandoned thumbnail

p a r t 5 : b l o w

Ridhima walked out of the room completely in a daze, that gorgeous smile stuck on her face, while the rest of the office looked at her peculiarly. She sat down on her swivel chair and biting the ends of her pen, she went into deep thoughts; one, of her unbelievable luck and second, on how to impress her rocking boss with something unique.

"Jeez Ridz, I heard you bagged that new project with National Exporters. Lucky gal. Mujhe toh treat chahiye," thumped Sid, his smile conveying his genuine smile for her.

"Thanks. Par Abhi toh mila hai. Treat sab uske baad," said Ridhima, firmly.

"God! You are such a spoiler. Baad mein dene ki zaroorat hi kya hai. Abhi dena hai toh de do, warna mujhe nahi chahiye. What say, guys?"

"Yes" "Yup" "Of course" " came different answers from the small group she had befriended on her first day.

"Acha baba, theek hai. Today evening. Starbucks?"

"That's the way it should be. WOHOOO."

And the half the office clapped for her. The other half, either too tired to appreciate or too jealous, just pinned their noses to their files.

"Seriously, you guys make this such a big issue," a voice that was becoming more clearer was saying.

All eyes turned to see the 'item gal of the office', Tamanna. A woman who was known for her blunt words and her must-appreciable ability of 'seducing' her way. Money was her weakness and her used her strength, beauty, to pursue more of her weakness.

"C'mon Tamanna. Everyone would want this opportunity to work in this prestigious project. Kay. So stop bugging her," said a protective Sid.

"OOH! Sid! I see you found a new interest," said Tamanna with the coolness of a female villain.

"Shut up, Tamanna. I don't understand why you wouldn't bother your own life." Sid fumed.

"Why don't you?," snapped Tamanna.

Sid came forth a step closer to Tamanna but Ridhima placed her hand forward blocking Sid.

"Sid, please," she pleaded. "I will handle, okay"

Sid nodded, glaring at Tamanna.

"What do you want, Tamanna?"

"From you? Oh please! Nothing."

"Then why are you creating such a big drama, here?"

"Oh! So I am the one creating drama. What about you?"

Ridhima eyed her questioning looks.

"C'mon everyone here knows that Boss has a thing for people who are needy."

"Excuse me?"

"You don't know? You din't get that project for your abilities. He loves giving chances to those who don't have them. You got the job because you were an orphan. Did you know that? So stop taking credit for something you din't achieve."

Ridhima gulped down her saliva, looking down. Was this true? 

"Tamanna. GET OUT OF HERE. Now," Sid ordered her.

"You don't have to scream. I am anyways going to go."

Tamanna gave one final look of disgust to Ridhima and walked away. Just as Sid went and side hugged Ridhima, Billy Mallik appeared, his face apparently unreadable.

"Tamanna." 

Tamanna stopped in her trails.

"My cabin. Now," he commanded her and trotted back to his office.

No one said anything as Tamanna traced along her boss's steps.

p a r t 6 : s t r o n g d e l i c a t e  n e s s

Tamanna felt nervous for the first time under the murderous glare that Billy Mallik was shooting her with.

"What do you think of yourself?" he blasted

"Sir, I don't-"

"You don't what, Tamanna? I din't call you here to hear your explanations. Just listen this with your ears wide open. You will respect everyone here. It gives you no right to undermine any of my employees."

Tamanna nodded with effort.

"Do you get me STRAIGHT?"

"Yes, sir"

"Then you may go."

"Sir."

Tamanna turned and went her way, wondering why this boss was so attached to Ridhima. But she din't care. She found her anger to Ridhima reinforced. She couldn't see what was so great in Ridhima.

"Ridz, you okay?" asked a worried Sid.

"Yeah," Ridhima smiled, knowing that Tamanna wasn't worth her tension.

Sid sighed in relief. He found it interesting that Ridhima was a strong woman. He sort of admired that part of her.

"Don't ever take her seriously. She just likes keeping herself in the limelight."

"I know. I can see it."

"It's good that you are taking it positively," appreciated Neha, another new appointment who had joined along with Ridhima, just that morning. Ridhima gave her a warm smile.

"Thanks Neha and you too, Sid. And you guys," thanked a gratified Ridhima.

"HE IS COMING? OMG." Rahul dragged Vivek into a hug.

"Haan, woh aa rahe hai. Tonight. You coming, right?"

"Is that even a question?"

"Of course, not. I mean. O god! I feel so overly enthralled."

"Tell me about it. So when is he coming," Atul joined in the conversation, sharing the joy of the moment.

"Should land by 1 at night. Kinda late. Like I care, though," laughed Vivi.

"You know, its bringing back so so  many memories," said Rahul.

"I agree, Ral. I.. I  din't know I missed him so much," acknowledged Atul.

"Yeah. But he's back and I guess we can forget about missing him already," said Vivek, before the three could turn sentimental.

The other two nodded in unison before indulging in a conversation reminiscing some beautiful memories.

'It's been 2 years and I don't know how to react to it. It's like a wave. It goes but it keeps coming back. And right now, the feeling is so strong, I don't get why I think about it so strongly today. Maybe because of Tamanna's words. I know I should be strong. But how can I? When its people like her, who has pushed me into what I am now. And it's during times like this when I feel that I need someone to help go through. Not like I don't have. I do have Muskaan. But I cannot bear to have her solve my problems when she herself has got so much to do. Today, I feel so lost. So lost in my own world. I feel like I have taken some wrong choices but I just cannot figure out what they are. And I want someone to do that for me. I - '

"It's been 2 years... HAW Ridz. Come on show me. What was it?", sneaked Muskaan. Ridhima had slammed the book close when she heard Muskaan begin to read her diary.

"Nope. You know I don't like anyone reading my diary."

"Yeah. But it's me, right. Show me. At least tell me what's this 2 years back thing. I don't remember happening back then."

"No, no way. It's personal."

"Personal??? Ridz, you know you can't hide much from me for long. Please."

"But-"

"Okay fine. Don't tell."

Muskaan made a face and fell hard onto the bed, and pulled the blanket over her face.

"Switch of the lights, please," she said shortly as though talking to a stranger.

"Muski.." whined Ridhima as she attempted to push down the blanket and face Muskaan. And each time she did it, Muskaan smacked her hands and pulled the blanket up again.

"Okay fine. I will tell you," said Ridhima, after a pause in hope of fetching some relief. 

Muskaan sat up straight with a 32-teeth smile.
abandoned thumbnail

p a r t 7 : o u t l o u

She began her untold story.

"Remember I had an accident 2 years back?"

"Oh! Oh, so that's what you were writing about."

"Not exactly that."

"Phir?"

"Umm. That day, when I was on the road, I was bleeding badly. And trust me when I say badly, it really was bad. And..And I was lying there with people just gaping like I wasn't human. And there was this guy. I don't know from he came but he did come to me and I was sort of unconscious but I can vaguely remember him literally blast those people for standing there. And then don't know he had to hurt himself to get to me because there was glass all over. But he made it to me and I guess he is the one who took me to the hospital. I can't be sure. I just know that wherever I was, I was resting on a warm place. I was loosing too much blood and probably that's why the whole thing is not really registered. And.. Umm. when we got to hospital, those nurses refused to get to the OR, because they din't take accident cases and especially because there would be no one to take responsibilty. After that whatever happened, I can only say I dreamt it but I guess it happened because the nurses did tell me about it when I gained my consciousness."

"What happened?", Muskaan asked with bated breath.

"He..uh.. he was furious with the way they were reacting. I can tell that. And he was talking to them, begging to give them to give me a chance. But when they did not budge, he just came and.. and..uhhh."

"And-?"

"And.. and.. he wiped some of his blood onto my.. my forehead."

"What? And you could feel it?"

"Yeah, I mean I wasn't exactly out, but I could make out the sudden force on my head. Though I din't know exactly what it was till I got out of the OR."

"What happened to him?"

"I don't know. They told that he left as soon as they consented to admit me. They never saw him. He had paid for my surgery and just disappeared."

"So, you tried to find about him?"

'Of course. I wasn't going to give up, right." Ridhima gave a fake laugh. "I did ask to see those papers he signed for the surgery. And I could just make out the initials A and I think it was M after that. Guess he was clever man. He definitely din't want his identity revealed."

"Mmm Hmm..So that's what is bothering you now?"

"Not exactly. I don't want to bother about this actually. It's just a forgotten memory that I wish never happened."

"Why so?"

"i don't know. Gives me creeps."

"Creeps?"

"Yeah. These kind of things don't happen to everyone. And I don't even know what I should do about it. You have any idea?"

"Actually no. But I am glad you told me."

"Oh! You have no idea how glad I am to get that off me."

"Mmm..But why would someone do like that?"

"Trust me, I hadn't thought of anything else for the 3 weeks I was on bed rest after that accident."

"You know, I can't believe you got over it so soon. I mean, 3 weeks. That't it. I would have taken ages to settle myself."

"I can't say I was settled in 3 weeks time. I did think a lot about it. I must admit I was indulged in the tiniest possibility..you know.. of having somebody. But then that obsession was driving me too much. And I had to let go of that hope. Though, I will respect him for what he's done. And if he ever comes to me, I want to thank him."

"I will thank him too. I would have lost you right, if not for him."

Ridhima glowed and the two hugged. 

Then when they heard their clock strike 1, they decided it was past time for bed and they cuddled under the cozy blanket. 

"It's 1. His flight should have landed by now," said Rahul, unable to contain his excitement to meet Armaan.

"Chillax, Ral," said a not-so-relaxed Vivek.

"Look who's talking," commented Atul.

"Shut up, idiot," mocked Vivke.

Rahul chuckled while Atul had his eyes glued to the arrival passage.

"Kay! Either I miss him too much or that is Armaan Mallik."

And so it was. The familiar handsome figure of Armaan, drew closer and closer. And then the hug session began. 

p a r t 8 : r a y s 

It was 1:45 in the morning and dark outside the Mallik house, except for the garden lights that beautified the night along with the lilies and roses that lined the fences. Blood raced its streams. His home. He had dreaded to go to this home ever since that horrible day when his mother passed away. He hated the very thought of it. But today he had to return. His father was practically alone except for the fame and money he had earned over the years.

He din't have the slightest pull to stop his trails to the house at this hour because he knew too well this his one and only dad would be waiting for him.

The front door, as expected was unlocked and he clicked it open, only to find the dimly lit candle and a silhouette.

He drew a huge breath and when he reached his father's rocking chair, he bent down and touched Billy's feet. Few minutes passed by before the Armaan fell like a kid, beside the chair and was sobbing lightly. Billy for a change, din't stop Armaan. He knew Armaan din't find it easy to the least to come back home. He had always understood his son's feelings like no other and thus accepted that Armaan would return when he felt better. But now that he was forced to come and because Armaan wasn't the kind who could ignore his father even when he was in the state itself, he realized that Armaan had held so much, withdrawn so much from everything he loved. 

When his wife died, he was shattered. Yet, it had affected Armaan much more than he could imagine. They were both extremely close. Then, Billy was an ordinary working father and so the time he spent with Armaan was much less than what he spent with his mother. He did love his son as much then too, but things were much different and Armaan somehow was a tad more closer to his wife.

The night passed as painful images of past blinded Armaan's eyes. Billy sat beside, doing nothing but rub his hands through Armaan's hair.

Morning came drawing the metaphor of a new beginning. Ridhima woke up as her eyes squinted within at the strong rays of sunlight hitting her. She yawned and spread her hands. She glanced at her side, seeing a Muskaan, oddly laying, sleeping with a soft snore. Ridhima giggled. She checked the time on the clock and upon realizing that she had loads of time before she left for office, she slowly lifted herself off the bed and found her way to the washroom.

When she got out, she heard her stomach growl. But seeing Muskaan still sleeping like a logger head, she grumbled under her breath. She knew a wrestling match was round the corner.

"Muskaan, utho. 7 baj gaye," Ridhima screamt for the 5th time, right into Muskaan's ears.

"Rahul, mujhe sone do na," Muskaan fumbled.

Ridhima rolled her eyes. Rahul? Ab yeh Rahul kaun hai?

"MUSKI, Rahul nahi, main Ridhima hoon. AB UTHO, SLEEPING BEAUTY."

And of course, that too din't work on the miss deep sleep. Frustrated, Ridhima filled a whole glass of water and did the necessary.

"What the- , RIDZI?," Muskaan awoke with wide eyes.

Ridhima gave an evilish smile and pulled her sleeves, appreciating herself.

"Did the impossible," she said proudly.

She saw Muskaan turn red. So she decided to make her turn even more red.

"Waise, who is this Rahul?"

"Kya?," Muskaan gulped hard, and Ridhima grinned on seeing her like that.

"Haan. Tum 'rahul yeh, rahul woh' yeh sab keh rahi thi," Ridhima said innocently.

"Maine aisa kuch nahi kaha," Muskaan protested.

"Soch lo. My hearing ability isn't that bad. And anyways the blush on your cheeks says otherwise." Ridhima giggled at poor Muskaan.

"Main. Main-," began Muski, suddenly embarrassed.

"Its okay. I will wait for the time you are ready to tell me." Saying so, Ridhima left the embarrassed Muskaan to dress up for office.

"Armaan, beta. It's past 7," the soothing fatherly voice waved across Armaan's sleepy ears.

"Mmm," mumbled Armaan, having woken up from deep sleep he probably had after ages.

"Yeh lo," Billy extended a hand, offering coffee to Armaan.

"Thanks dad."

"So slept well."

"Yeah. Yeah. mmm. Remembered mom..sort of."

Billy nodded and the two drank their coffee in silence.
abandoned thumbnail

p a r t 9 : t i e s 

"Aditi, this is Armaan. Armaan, this is Aditi," Vivek introduced his wife to Armaan and vice-verse.

"Hey," greeted Armaan.

Aditi gaped at him, scrutinizing him top to bottom.

"Heyya. So you are that handsome leader of this boy gang. Vivi ne tumhare bare mein kaafi kuch bataaya hai," chirped the bubbly wife of Vivek.

"R I G H T," stressed Armaan, eyeing Vivek with suspicion, wondering how much Vivek had told his wife. Vivek gulped hard, hoping his wife doesn't blurt and create rifts just as soon as Armaan landed.

"Uhhh, Adi, khana ready hai toh serve karna. Mujhe na bahut bhook lag raha hai. What say, guys?"

"Haan bilkul," consented Rahul and Atul.

"WHAT did you tell her?", asked Armaan sternly just as Aditi disappeared into the kitchen. Atul and Rahul followed her owing to their empty tummies

"Nothing. Nothing at all," lied Vivek giving her toothy smile.

By now Armaan was giving him deadly stares. "Okay fine, I just told her some of our better.. you know 'adventures',' admitted Vivek. He looked down to the floor, sheepishly.

"Like what?", demanded Armaan.

"Armaan, don't bother much on that. Just what we did when we were in our not-so-mature stages." Vivek tried changing the topic. Only he din't know Armaan was smarter than him.

"No No.C'mon. Out with it. What all did you tell her?"

"Actually everything," confessed Vivek.

"WHAT?"

"There was this time when I got drunk and... mmm. I was missing you and I was making her hear everything I had to tell. You know, to let go of all that missing you. So yeah, she practically knows everything that we did. Sholly." Vivek gave a cute pout as he whispered the last sorry.

"No wonder she gave me that kinda look."

"What? What kind of look?"

"You know, the.. the. How do you describe it? Yeah. It was like she was expecting me to remove my pants off any minute"

It was Vivek's turn to "WHAT?" now. And then he burst laughing.

"It isn't funny," glared Armaan.

"Of course it is. Look at your face," managed Vivek, in between his laughs. "Remove my pants off any minute"Vivek continued to imitate Armaan's desperate comparison.

"Vivi, you do realize that I am an Interpol officer. Serious, you know?"

"Okay Okay," Vivek faked to take in breaths so as to control his laughs but then his face couldn't take it any more and he was in splits within seconds.

"Oh! Looks like we missed something," commented Rahul as he came sucking in his juice.

"Yeah, you sure did," added Vivek.

"Tell me," intruded Atul, excited.

And then Vivek narrated leaving Armaan to embarrass himself further. Though in minutes, Aditi came to his rescue, announcing lunch. 

"Yeah, so what is this girl thingy that Vivi's been telling us," began Rahul.

"That's exactly why I wanted all of us to meet somewhere.

"So, go on, tell us," urged Atul.

"Okay. So there was this incident that took place when I was on duty here. 2 years back and - "

"YOU WERE HERE?", bellowed Rahul.

"Yeah, Ral. I will explain that later. That's not the point."

"Okay. But you better come up with an excuse that will convince me to forgive you," threatened Rahul.

Armaan silenced himself before Atul intervened. "Ral, its kay. Let him talk. Yeah tell Armi."

Armaan glanced at Rahul and expressed regret with his eyes. "Okay, so this incident had happened. I was on duty on day and I found this girl on the street, drenched in blood. Most probably she was hit and - " and so his strange story, much to the surprise of all the three who were present there.

When he finished, there was no response from either of the three and as for Armaan, he just kept his eyes glued to the floor, reminiscing that day. And much worse, what that day is doing to him and of course to her, at the moment.

Armaan decided it was time to break the silence that had clouded the room. "So, she is the reason, I am here. Because of something, or more like because of me, she is the target of a super criminal to take revenge on me."

"Why would he do that?", inquired Vivek.

"Because I had to kill his brother for legal reasons."

"No, why her? I mean, to take revenge on YOU, why kill some random person you happened to save 2 years back?"

Armaan paused, wondering to answer that question and when he finally worded it, he spoke, "Because she no longer is a random person."

"What..What do you mean?", asked a confused Rahul.

"Uhhh. I mean that she is closer to me, than she will ever know."

p a r t 10 : b a c k o n t r a c k

"Armaan?,"

"Yeah dad," Armaan responded, without looking up from his laptop.

"I wanted you to tell you something," said Billy, an unusual exciting tone which made Armaan to raise his eyes.

"Haan batao," said Armaan, bewildered.

"Well, this lady, her name is Ridhima, right?,"

"Yup, kyun?"

"Nahi. Bas, I happen to have an employee named Ridhima," Billy burst the bubble casually.

Armaan sat up straight, paused upon seeing the twinkling eyes of his father and then bombarded him with questions.

"What? As in the same Ridhima? Dad, come on tell me more, please?" he said, curious like a kid.

Billy chuckled and sat down on the sofa beside Armaan. He smiled at the innocence of his son. For a father to see that innocence in a grown up child, it felt god blessed. Not everyone had that luck.

"Papa, please," begged Armaan with a pout.

"Okay okay, well I din't it was her till you called yesterday and she had just left my cabin. She is the HR manager of our company. She's good. A very sweet person but strong, I must say," explained Billy.

Armaan smiled, in pride, though he din't really understand why he felt that way. He knew all along she had always touched a farther part of him, but he just never bothered giving it a name. She only mattered.

Billy noticed it and was positively happy because he could vision Armaan with Ridhima in his head. And though he din't voice his opinion then and though Armaan never mentioned to him on the angle of any such relationship in future, he had good vibes about the whole thing. It was in his head and he hoped that things sorted out soon.

"What do you think? You like her?," asked Armaan enthusiastically. 

"Weren't you hearing? Of course, I like her. She is bold and she is beautiful. I like that in women. Just like your mother."

Armaan winced at the mention of his mother. Billy bit his lip, guilty at evoking Armaan. He mouthed a sorry and Armaan nodded. But deep down, realizations were dawning upon him and whether he liked it or not, he would have to let it like it was just then. 

The popping sound of an incoming mail reminded him of his top priority. The mail was from his colleague back at Interpol, a brilliant and trustworthy Punjabi who proved to be the best partner ever. 

'Bad news' was the subject and Armaan felt a tug in his insides. He crossed his fingers as the mail loaded. And when it did, he read, 

'Yep, Burt's there. We have got reliable sources telling us he is there in Mumbai. No track of anything. And I checked on the number you gave me. Its no longer operating. Guess he is using another one. Sorry, I know the news is not exactly a lead. But I can tell he is there. Do keep your eyes on her. She relies on you solely at the moment. I will be working on any leads to him. Will let you know as soon as I can.'

Armaan fell weak onto the couch. What was he going to do? He hated to think she was in such danger. Burt was among the most wanted criminal heads and he did crimes in a manner that was so perfect that even investigating officers fell in awe with it. 

"What happened, Armi?" asked a concerned Billy.

"Dad, he's here but we have anything in hand that would lead us to him," Armaan dropped his hands, in defeat. He was a brilliant officer, yes. But this case, even the slightest pull bothered him and though he knew he shouldn't, it just never happened.

"Armi, you cannot break down like this. You will find him okay. I know you will," Billy placed a hand on Armaan's shoulders comforting him and injecting courage in him.

Armaan nodded in seconds and then sat up, inhaling hard, letting out all the bothering and inhaled once again, taking in the charged up spirit of an intelligent officer.

"That's like my boy," encouraged Billy, "So where do you plan to start?"

Armaan felt in thought on their usual procedures. "Dad, here we know who the criminal is and we know who the possible victim is. SO the whole point is we need get the guy before the guy gets the vic. And we need to try our maximum to not panic the possible vic because it might turn out to be a liability."

Billy nodded catching up. "Okay, so your main target is to figure out where this guy is?"

"Exactly."

"Kay. You could give a pic of this guy to the locals right. And ask them to do their search?"

"That's where problem number one comes in. You will never find this guy the way he is."

"As in?"

"As in, he is the master of disguises. And he does every crime in a name, in a new method, with a different face."

"OMG! That doubles your work, right?"

"Yup, it does. But there is one thing, he always has one person close to the vic who keeps leaking stuffs to him. And when it is right time, this spy would signal and that's when he would attack. So my first job would be to find that person who is with Ridhima and feeding her to him."

"And how are you going to that?" 

"Get to know everyone who is close to her, make a list, check on everyone's past and etc etc."

"That would take a hell long a time."

"Yeah, that's why he is such a clever killer."

"Hmm. So till the time you catch him, how do you plan to keep her protected?"

"By spying her myself,"

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah, dad. I am officially going to be her secret protector from today."

Billy beamed at this piece of news.

"Dad, its my job."

"I din't tell anything."

Armaan sighed. "Dad."

Ridhima peeked out of the bus stand for the fifth time in that minute. She found herself slightly fighting shivers. She was wearing a cotton checked shirt with office pants and they were doing nothing to keep her warm. Her scooty had broken down just in time as it began raining cats and dogs. Like any desperate citizen, she looked in all directions for a means of transport that would get her home. She clutched her body closer to herself with her palms, partly because she needed the warmth and partly because she had to endure the gapes of the by standers who seemed to pray that the rain never stopped. She had enough guts to give them tight slaps, all right but it wasn't the matter of guts, it was a matter of not getting into much trouble here in Mumbai. But she was sure, if the staring session continued any longer, there would be three hard pink stripes on any of their faces for sure.

She thanked god when an auto driver stopped in front of her and she rushed inside to seat herself before any one else took away her call. She told the driver that where she wished to go and led him for he had only vague ideas of its whereabouts. 

At a distance, his dark, cold blooded eyes glowed in lust, and his lips curled into a cruel smile. Two in one. Revenge and Self satisfaction. What a combo, he thought. Then he saw the familiar face in the black sedan, his anger shooting up. Yet, he walked away, not wanting to catch his attention

He hummed and tapped his finger in the steering wheel. Armaan felt content seeing her adorable expressions. He sighed when he saw leave and followed the auto rickshaw past the walking man, suspecting nothing.

Sorry for typos, dint reread it. I am too lazy a creature 🤔 Thanks for the lovely response jaanis to the revised version of YAS. Really happy seeing it. MUAH. This part stirred the story and I hope I have justified it. Like and Comment. I look forward to them. PMs will be sent later and yeah updates will come after every 3 days like before :)
Love and Prayers,
Amal
abandoned thumbnail

*Sorry for the delay jaanis. My net was playing with me the whole of yesterday. I log in and it gets disconnected. Sholly. :)* Enjoy! Just a light part. Nothing much. :)

p a r t 11 : f r i e n d s f o r e v e r

"You are leaving?," exclaimed Sid, seeing Ridhima pack her bag and leave.

"Yeah, gotta meet my friend. You?"

"Nah, got some files to pass through."

"Okay. Bye. Goodnight. Goodnight, guys." Ridhima gave a light wave at everyone around her, as most of them looked up from their computers with swollen eyes, glad at having a moment.

From the corner of her eyes, Ridhima saw Tamanna give her dirty looks. She sighed and walked to the elevator.

She called on for auto rickshaw to the workshop where she had sent her scooty only to realize that it wasn't still repaired. She took the same auto to the beach where Muskaan was awaiting her. She smiled. When Muskaan had called her today afternoon, her smooth and embarrassed tone confirmed that today she would know. Of course, being her she did have a vague picture of the puzzle. But she needed details and she knew today she would get it. The auto stopped and she paid the man in full. She was wearing heels, so she took them off and walked to the tiny spot. She was sure it was Muskaan. With her heels in one hand, she went upto Muski and sat down. Muskaan was deep in though gazing at the setting sun. She jerked and glanced at Ridhima.

"Tu kab agayi?"

"Abhi abhi. Kahaan kho gayi thi?"

"Main? Kuch nahi."

"Hmm. Main samajhti hoon. Toh bata why did you call me?," asked Ridhima, innocently. She pulled up her legs and crossed it. Then she wound her arms around her knee caps and bent down her face, looking at Muskaan. 

"Haan, woh main toh ainvayi..," stammered Muskaan. 

"Muski, cut it. I know something's going on. And you called me to tell that. So go on. And to be honest, I am excited." Ridhima winked. Muskaan glowed and drew a huge breath.

She bit her lips as she put forward her hand. Ridhima paused, stunned, her eyebrows raised and her eyes rolled at Muskaan. Muskaan embarrassed, looked away. Her wedding finger was brilliant at one spot. The diamond shone even in the dimly lit beach.

"So fast?," Ridhima whispered. 

"Ridziii," Muski accused. 

Ridhima mouthed a sorry and then she got out her overwhelmed reaction. She threw her arms around Muskaan., feeling an immense surge of joy.

"Tell me all about him. Like every detail," demanded Ridhima, when they drew back from the hug.

"Chill kar. Kehti hoon na."

Ridhima pulled her legs down to the ground and crossed it, sitting up like a thrilled kid. 

"Umm. His name is Rahul and.." began Muskaan.

"KYA? You mean Dr.Rahul? OMG. I should have known," rambled a shocked Ridhima.

"Won't you let me finish, Ridz?," warned Muskaan.

"Oops. Sorry. Acha bataao," said Ridhima apologetically. 

"Yeah the same Rahul. We have been seeing each other for over 10 months now. He proposed to me today. So yeah. That's it."
Muskaan blushed.

"That's it? Excuse me. I asked for details," snapped a hyper Ridhima.

"Kya?"

"Haan. As in how he proposed, what did you do. What did you guys go. Things like that," said Ridhima, acting innocent. 

"RIDZI," rolled an embarrassed Muski.

"HMPH. Fine," crossed Ridhima. She continued, after her lips curled into an ear-to-ear smile. "So ab kya?"

"His mom wants to see me. She has only seen my pic. This weekend," muttered Muskaan.

"Arre wah."

"What arre wah? I am freaking out. I can't just go and meet her."

"Why not?"

"How do you know she will like me?"

Ridhima "O"ed her mouth at Muski's foolishness.

"You are kidding, right?"

"Of course not."

"Muski, which mother-in-law will hate you?"

"Which won't?"

"MUSKI. You and your big fat skull. If that's your biggest worry, then let's just go home and sleep over it." Ridhima shook her head in disbelief. She got up and rubbed the sand out of her denims.

"Okay." Muskaan followed Ridhima. "Where did you park your scooty?"

"Oh! It's in the workshop. Broke down and on top of everything, it began to rain too in the morning."

"Great. Phir toh chal."

They walked to Muski's scooty. Their bua had gifted the scooties to them when they finished college and got their license. Ridhima owned a blue one while Muski had a deep maroon one.

As the cool breeze took in the air that the friends shared, Ridhima teased Muskaan knowing Muski was blushing in the front.

"Arre! I forgot to tell you! I told Rahul that I will bring you tomorrow so that you can meet him. He's also bringing his friends to meet me. Okay?"

"Me? Kyun?"

"Aivayi.."

"Okies. What time?"

"You have half day tomorrow, right? SO let's make it 4. We will join for coffee together. Starbucks?"

"Okay. I will join you there quarter to 3."

"Where were you?", questioned Billy as he opened the door for Armaan.

"Work, dad," said Armaan, avoiding his father's gaze.

"Ridhima, I suppose."

Before Armaan could retort, Naina came out to the Garewal Mansion's living room and her short, plump body clashed into Armaan

"Armaan, beta. Its been so long. OMG." Armaan almost felt strangled in her typical Punjabi hug. 

When finally Naina pulled out of the hug, Armaan was panting heavily, giving a beaming smile at Naina. Naina had filled eyes. Armaan kissed her cheek. Naina was Rahul's mother. Being friends with Rahul from a very young age, brought him closer to Rahul's family as well. Naina loved Armaan just like she loved Rahul. Naina and his own mother were friends too, in their better times. The bonds all of them shared brought owe in the eyes of others. They were all one family even without being related by blood. 

This dinner party at the Garewal Mansion was Naina's idea. Billy had arrived early, knowing Armaan would reach over quite late after his 'work'. Rahul and Vivek joined them in the living room. 

When it was dinner time, Armaan was shocked to see the spread laying so aromatically in the dining table.

"Aunty ji, aapko yeh sab karne ki koi zaroorat nahi thi," he said, surprised.

"Maine bhi yahi kaha inse," agreed Billy.

"Zaroorat toh nahi thi. But I wanted to do it," said Naina, casually. "Beto. Aditi, tum bhi khao. And eat twice as much." Aditi blushed, embarrassed. Aditi was 5 months pregnant and this brought a reason for all of them to tease her.

Dinner relived old memories. It made some new ones too. <3

Rahul came to Armaan and told him what he held for so long. He wanted Armaan to know about it first. 

That's It for this week. I have few more assignments and tests in the coming week. So updates are a not so sure thing. Though, the next time I come, I will be updating next 9 chapters together. That is uptil Chapter 20. It's time I took this FF forward.
Likes and Comments?
Love and Prayers,
Amal

abandoned thumbnail

p a r t 12

She peered through her work spectacles as her cell gave the sixth beep and jerk in the past 5 minutes. She knew it was Muskaan telling her it was getting late and its time she got out of the office for her promised meeting. Ridhima stared at the file. This would anyways not get done if she stayed for another two hours. There was going to be no gain if she ignored those messages once again. So she shut the file and checked out her hair in her mini pocket mirror. Not that she had anything great to be checked out, at least not in her opinion. She had tied it in a messy office bun and her blazer. Blazer. Hmm. It would be too formal to wear a blazer when going to meet your best friend's fiance. So she removed it, revealing her blue and white striped shirt. This too is formal, she pondered. But at least, better than the blazer, she justified. 

She hung her blazer in her left arm and walked out of the part empty office just as the clock struck 3: 30 p.m. She smiled at the middle aged lady who cleaned the office after everyone left. It wasn't much according to her, but it still was worth better than the disgusted looks others usually bestowed her with.

She reached Starbucks to meet annoyed glints in Muski's eyes. She pouted and mouthed a sorry, before Muskaan grabbed her right arm and dragged her in. Muskaan's hyper active mood brought a chuckle to Ridhima. Muskaan dashed at the waiter and snapped at him that she required a table for six in 5 minutes. The poor waiter had a tough time clearing two tables and joining them to make space for 6. 

"You know you can relax," said Ridhima, finally.

"Well yeah! I will! But after this!," shrieked Muskaan. She was turning hysteric and Ridhima knew better than to irritate her more with advises. If Muskaan hated anything so bad in this world, it was being advised to. 

Ridhima placed her blazer on the back of the chair and her handbag on the floor, right beside the window. She sat quietly, bearing and analyzing Muskaan's frantic endeavors in perfecting her hair twirls with her finger. Bored, Ridhima rested her face on her palm, keeping her elbow on the table. She never realized it, but this was among her signature gestures. True, everyone did it but she did it more often or perhaps as a guy would frame it, more adorable.

"Should we stay?," asked Muskaan out of the blue, snapped her clutch shut.

"What?" Ridhima repeated back a question. "No, no. No way." She shook her head in disbelief.

"C'mon Ridz. I don't think I am going to get through this. They are going to hate me, probably more than his mother.

Ridhima stared at her, not replying. She simply called the waiter and made her order.

"One cup of iced coffee.. mint flavored and cheese cake," she ordered at the menu card. Her ultimate combo, these two were. She judged a cafe depending on whether it sold these two or not. If they din't then nothing else mattered to her, she would coolly walk out. 

"You could at least wait for them," pointed out Muskaan.

"Nah! I don't think I can handle sitting here idly, watching you bite the whole of your nails," said Ridhima, bluntly. Muskaan made a face and Ridhima giggled.

She laid back, letting out her arms as she relaxed her body. She had been working for long hours the past few days on her project. She thought this was a wonderful way to give herself something back. 

"His name is Rahul, right?", said Ridhima, totally bored.

"Yup."

"Hmm. What about his friends?" 

"I dunno exactly. He had mentioned a few names here and there. But then, that's why we are here. So I know them better. But I guess that plan will have to wait," said Muskaan dully.

"You amaze me, Muski. You keep telling me to stop criticizing myself and here you are, doing a better job than I have ever done." 

"Well, then. Remind me about today the next time I do that."

"UGH! You will drive me nuts." And saying so, Ridhima went back to her I-am-extraordinarily-bored position.

Few minutes had elapsed when 3 men walked into the roadside cafe, their eyes searching and the guy in the lead stopped at Muski and came upto the table. Ridhima saw the blush on Muskaan's cheeks as she hastily managed to whisper a "Hello" to Rahul. Rahul, who seemed equally embarrassed introduced his friends to them while Muskaan introduced Ridhima to them. They all sat in desolate silence, each wanting the other to speak.

Muskaan and Rahul played with their eyes and perhaps their feet too, Ridhima guessed by the looks of it. She had seen enough movies to make out how lovers would look when they played with their feet beneath the table.

Vivek broke the silence.

"So Muskaan, aap toh Rahul se pyaar karte hai?."

Muskaan was drinking water from the Evian Water Bottle the cafe provided and it was no surprise that she spit it and part of found their way to her nose, making her go all cough cough. Ridhima stifled the rolls of laughter within her and stared at the table as though it were her lover. Rahul embarrassed to the core, glared at Vivek and paying no heed to him, Vivek encouraged Muskaan to answer.

"Err. Umm.. Mmm..."

"I already told you, right?" fumbled Rahul.

"And you think I would be satisfied with the 3 word answer you gave me. NO WAY," played Vivek.

"Ermmm. Exactly what did he tell you?"

"'In the hospital'", mocked Vivek. 

Muskaan sighed hard. 

"You want more?" asked Rahul.

"Like Duh!" 

Rahul gave a weirdo smile.

Then the 5 of them got along like friends who have met up after a long time. They chatted and chatted and literally priced themselves the glared of the managers of the cafe for not making a move at this time of the day when crowds were bound to flock in. 

Half an hour had passed. 

"When will Armaan get here?" asked Atul.

"I dunno. It's time he came," answered Rahul, taking a peek on this watch.

"Give him a call. He must be drowning himself in work," said Vivek.

Rahul understood the meaning behind his words and excused himself for a phone call, leaving Muskaan at the mercy of his friend's teasing and meaningful, innocent questions.

"Where are you? You are supposed to be here, you know," blasted Rahul through the phone.

"Chillax Rahul! I am a bit busy now. I will be there soon. Just give me some more time. If not carry on without me, right. I guess it's not such a big deal."

"Of course it is. Idiot! I am not letting those girls go without seeing you. For goodness sake, you are my best friend. You ought to be here with me. And what big work are you involved in at the moment that you can't come when I am calling you so urgently?"

Armaan sighed. "Ridhima is nowhere to be seen. I don't think she left her office in time. I was there till 3 when everyone leaves. She wasn't there. And I dozed off. I think she left then. And now I can't find where she is. She is not there in the orphanage. Jeez, I am such a screwed up person."

Rahul listened to Armaan and nodded. "Okay! But how do you know she is not in the orphanage?"

"Faked a call at the orphanage asking for her."

"Ooh! I see. But can't you search for her, later. I mean, she is not a child. She can take care of herself. Its weekend right. She must be out shopping or eating out with friends. Can't you give it a rest? At least give yourself a rest. I promise to send you in 10 minutes if you come by. Please come."

Armaan sensed the sentence rather than the request in Rahul's voice. He bit his lips hard before he worked out the odds in his head.

"All right! I will be there in 5. I am just around the corner only. Meet ya there."

"Thanks Ammy," said a now excited Rahul.

Rahul went inside the cafe, informing the other that Armaan was to come in a few minutes. 

"Yeah, so we have been talking all this while. And we are from the boy's side. Now you guys need to talk something," said Atul.

'Oh! Okay! Well I am Ridhima and I have known her ever since she first came. She came after me. So yeah from then till now, she is my best friend and I know Rahul would love to keep her for a very long time. That's it."

"Woah! Woah! Watch it! What do you mean that's it?"

"What else can I say?"

"Well, you could say how handsome we are or at least how handsome I am and things like that." Vivek and Atul flirted harmlessly yet shamelessly with Ridhima.

"Oh! Like that! Well, you both are very handsome but I thought I would give my choice once the fourth guy comes," played Ridhima tactfully. She had taken a liking for these boys right from the moment she met them and they were making her feel light after her.

"Ouch!," Vivek made a show as though a stake just pierced her heart. "That's exactly the problem. He is good at charming. He will charm you away from us.," said Vivek. Atul pouted with a nod. 

Ridhima and Muskaan giggled.

Just then Rahul's cell rang. Rahul jerked from the intense eye lock he was having with Muski. He din't bother excusing himself and just connected the phone and spoke.

He had barely completed his "Hello" when the voice on the other side of the phone pierced his ears.

"Screw you, Rahul! I can't believe you found her. I mean her of all people. How did you??"

"WHAT?" Rahul pulled back his chair and stood up, hearing the stupid rant of Armaan. The other 4 looked up at him and he mouthed a sorry and walked away to other side of the cafe.

"What what? You know what I am talking about?"

"No I don't. First tell me, where are you?"

"Doesn't matter. I am not coming in. I am not prepared okay," said Armaan, all heated up.

"Can you talk sense at least for once and tell me straight what you getting at?"

"Oh c'mon! You bring her and beg me to come in. Seriously don't you think its too filmy?"

"Armaan!" said Rahul with suppressed frustration. "If you want to tell me something, tell me simple and straight or you are getting in this cafe this minute."

"Rahul. You listen to me. I am just not ready to meet Ridhima, okay. I haven't planned anything. I need time to sort myself out. "

"Woah! Hang On! Ridhima????"

"Yeah, Ridhima. I know you meant well. But I am not coming, Ral."

"Waittt! Don't hang up! What do you mean, Ridhima?"

Armaan was done with all the fooling around.

"Yep, Ral. The Ridhima who is sitting there right next to Vivi and Atul and the other lady who is Muskaan, I guess.

"That's your Ridhima?"

"Well yeah! That's exactly my Ridh.. HUh! SO you din't know?"

"NO! Ridhima is Muskaan's best friend. She brought Ridz with her to meet us all. OMG. This is like a way too awesome coincidence."

"Oh Okay!." Armaan paused in silence.

"So?" 

"So what?"

"Are you coming?"

"Mmm. I guess not. I din't really think of an encounter with her so soon. So I think I will just leave."

"No. Please come. I mean, she doesn't know and you don't need to show that it is you. Just come for me as my friend meeting my bride. Please." In the back of his head, Rahul was already visualizing the perfection of Armaan's and Ridhima's images together.

"I will mess up."

"Just shut up and come in. Okay." And leaving no time for Armaan to argue, Rahul disconnected, a huge grin plastered on his face.

Minutes later Armaan pushed the glass door of the cafe, looking like a package full of stress and anxiety with a love bow tying it tight. Call it the sign of the Almighty, but Ridhima was the first one to notice him. She just had a glance and she swept it away like any other scene. It was only until he came up to the table did she realize that he was the fourth guy. 

Rahul punched Armaan for being late and Armaan apologized to all of them. He took a seat. The seat. Well. The one directly opposite to Ridhima's. Rahul introduced him to Muskaan and Ridhima and all of them sat down to decide on their third set of snacks to order.

Armaan simply had his eyes fixed at Ridhima. He realized, walking into this cafe was his best decision ever. 

Read. Like. Comment Jaanis. A comparatively long part. Will give longer parts from now. Sorry for typos. I was too lazy to reread.

GUYS. I won the second prize in an inter school book review contest with over 100 entries received. I am officially overwhelmed and cannot react much. But I can tell this much. I would never have written a word except in English Exam papers without you guys. SO I LOVE YOU GUYS. PERIOD. <3 
Love and Prayers,
Amal
abandoned thumbnail

p a r t 13 

The waiter bought the third cake for Ridhima, this time the flavor being chocolate chip, while the others had sandwiches and muffins. Armaan rolled his eyes from the cake to Ridhima, wondering thick in his head how this woman did that. Back in France, women cared about diets and good looks. And here was a specimen who not only had no qualms in indulging herself but also was strikingly attractive. The others too noticed them but they shook it away as Armaan dwelled into gazing at this wonderful lady.

The sun was giving way to the blue-white clouds as the cafe's crowds resigned for the day. However, the six, who sat at the corner of the caf were least bothered. 

"So Ridhima, with Armaan here now, you could tell us now who is more charming, right?" asked Vivek.

"Huh! Yeah, right. You hadn't forgotten."

"Sharp Memory! Tell me, who among us is the most charming guy?"

Armaan who had no clue about what they talking jerked up and Atul explained to him. Vivek snapped Rahul, interrupting him from an intense eye lock with Muskaan. Muskaan, who was unusually quiet now, diverted her attention to the ones around her.

The guys gave Ridhima their full on attention and she could only hope to know why. But she guessed it was to keep her comfortable when Muskaan is lost in her husband-to-be. Nevertheless, Ridhima fell in for the 4 cuties sitting in front of her. Rahul and Vivek gestured to perfect their hairs and removed the first 2 buttons. Armaan remained himself while Atul simply gave his cutest pout, while Muskaan giggled at their kiddish actions. Ridhima played along, thoroughly enjoying herself.

"Rahul is taken, right," mockingly murmuring to herself and glanced at Muskaan, who gave an animated approving nod.  "Then Vivek, hmm," Vivek sat up, putting on a face of excitement, raising his eyebrows; "too desperate" she said finally, leaving Muskaan to peals of laughter.

Next she placed her focus on Armaan, who simply relaxed and sat with his back all the way placed neatly along the cozy caf chair.

The strength of his deep ocean wave eyes hit her bright emerald ones with unimaginable weight. The little of his muscular chest that peeked through his shirt gave a little color to her face. After all, she was a single young lady and handsome men were bound to capture her attention. Armaan caught her checking him out with that grin-n-wicked smile on her face and for the first time, felt the real Armaan come back live.

The top flirt in Armaan awoke after 7 long years and he didn't realize it just then the immensity of the power she held in him.

As though going against gravity, Ridhima pulled away from their little 'eye-game'. She shifted her senses to Atul, chuckling at her own stupid thoughts which had ventured into different wavelengths a few moments back.

"Atul, I pick Atul!," she finally said, dropping her hands onto the table.

Vivek and Rahul "HAW"ed and Vivek wiped an invisible tear. Atul gave his most adorable toothy smile and victoriously sat up straight. Ridhima stole a glance at Armaan, only to see him give her an all-knowing-wicked grin. It made Ridhima yearn to stare at him longer and figure out his intentions.

Armaan's instincts persuaded him to hold the soft fingers that now tapped the table rhythmically. True, this was his first proper meeting with her and although, he never questioned anything deep on his 'over-protectiveness' for Ridhima, he liked it so much that it seemed as good as a dream. Her pleasant talks drove his attention automatically to her and more than once, he hoped he wasn't such a messed up person. He wished that like today, he could sit next to her.

"Okies, let's leave all that," proclaimed Vivek, changing the topic. "What are you girls doing tomorrow evening?"

"We haven't really decided," said Muskaan, looking at Ridhima, who nodded.

"Yeah, lunch is at Rahul's. She wanted to see her to-be-daughter-in-law it seems. No plan as of now for tomorrow. But I wanted to catch up with Harry Potter, the last movie. But I don't think we will able to make it there after everything," said Ridhima, slightly frowning on missing another weekend in catching the last movie of her ever favorite series.

Armaan couldn't help to contain himself. His suppressed chuckles led Ridhima to shoot him murderous looks. She guessed it was because of her abnormal love for Harry Potter. Muskaan included, most people couldn't think straight on how a working lady as mature as her could still hook on to and remain so fan-girlish on kiddo movies, especially the kind that just did not associate with the real world. Still, Ridhima pulled on an empty face and asked Armaan.

"What?"

"Harry Potter, seriously," he said, moving forward and settling his arms on to the table, depriving his back of the support.

Ridhima, who was sitting forward all this while, moved back impulsively.

"Why? Harry Potter isn't meant for me?"

"Armaan, don't bother fighting with her. I am warning you. She will make sure you learn every spell before you walk out of this caf," Muskaan told as a matter-of-factedly.

"Really?," asked Armaan, rolling his eyes from Muskaan to Ridhima.

The sounds of provocation in his challenging exclamation din't go unnoticed by Ridhima. Rahul watched the two keenly while Vivek and Atul subtly sat quiet like two kids sitting in an auditorium enjoying live entertainment.

"Any doubts?," said Ridhima majestically.

"Actually no!," he said.

"Good," said Ridhima, proudly but she had spoken it too early.

"But don't harry potter is a little too out of the world. I mean come on, you and I both know there exists nothing called magic. And just because you have a kid who can defeat a no-nose man, doesn't make him big enough to earn all the attention in the world. God and you women! He faints, you cry. He lost his parents, you cry. His friends left him, you cry. Are you all so jobless?"

By the time, he had finished his speech; Ridhima was flaring on her nose. No matter how mature she was, anything said against something she hearted, ignited her.

"Uh Oh! Armaan, I think you woke the sleeping dragon!" threatened Muskaan.

"I don't know about you, buddy but I am thoroughly enjoying myself," said Vivek, sipping his coffee.

"Ditto, Vivi." Atul nudged him while he high fived Rahul.

"So, Ridhima. You have something to tell to our HP basher ' Armaan," instigated Rahul. How he wished to tell Vivek and Atul about these two. Moreover, he thought of Muskaan, who would be overjoyed. She had confided in him some time back that she needed time for marriage just so that the transition is not so fast for Ridhima. But now, he saw all chances in Armaan and Ridhima getting together and that anonymously would give an end to her best lady's dilemma.  He paused to see the innocence in her face, his face by itself revealing happiness.

Ridhima drew a huge breath.

"Yeah, I do. I just want to ask our Armaan if he is ready for a challenge," said Ridhima, dramatically, taking no effort is diverting her attention to anything but him.

"Ooh! This just keeps getting better and better," commented Atul.

"Sure Ridhima, go on."

"Watch every movie in 2 day's time and then tell me straight after that you hate it."

Armaan raised his eyebrows.

"Are you sure you want that? Because I can tell this very moment that I hate it."

"Then you got to admit that you fear my HP challenge,'' said Ridhima casually, poising her fork over her cake.

For the next brief moment, the two shared what one could title the 'deadly' eye lock.

"Fine!," said Armaan, banging his palms onto the metallic surface of the table.

"You admit?," exclaimed Ridhima in surprise.

"Not that! I accept the challenge!".

"Okay! Are you sure they are meeting for the first time?" whispered Atul.

Muskaan nodded her head with an I-know-right look.

"How do I know that you won't cheat?" The battle was continuing on the other side.

"Excuse Me! I don't cheat," he defended, in exasperation.

"How do I know that?", she asked him  stressing out on words.

Armaan made a strange guttural sound and she grinned widely.

"You have no choice but to accept me, you know. I don't think there is anything you can do to check me out every now and then."

"Well, who said, I can't. I have all means to keep an'''''"

Her words were drowned in the harsh and piercing sounds of the flower vases, crackling themselves. The window was blown and it hardly took seconds because the entire window came crashing onto the floor. The flying pieces of glass etched onto the occupants, leaving screams. But it was the gun shots that sent people to panic points.

Trained to handle this situation and foreseeing such moments in the back of his head, Armaan yelled, "EVERYBODY, DOWN ON THE FLOOR." The other five took a moment longer as sense to his words dawned upon them and luck alone saved Muskaan from the third bullet. Vivek revived first from the frantic state of mind after Armaan.

He took a quick glance at Ridhima.  She was breathing normally, but her face had worry written all over and it intrigued Armaan that she wasn't worried or fearing for herself. She was head stricken over the close miss Muskaan had over the bullet.

Armaan seethed his hands behind him and curled his fingers around his service pistol. He held his spine straight along the wall and slowly slipped up, making just little space for his eyes to place the shooter. He failed to spot the shooter when another shot came dashing at a different angle.

He whispered, 'Stay' and despite the protests of his companions, crept down the floor, giving in a few words of assurance to the people he crossed by. When he reached the entrance of the cafe, he shut his eyes, seeing the image of his late mother and in one fluid motion, kicked open the remaining part of glass.

I have nothing to say. Just let me know what you feel about the whole thing. I am worn out for today so off to bed. Love ya all. MUAH.

Love and Prayers,

Amal