European Economic Protests Turn Violent in Rome

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 12 years ago
European Economic Protests Turn Violent in Rome

Tens of thousands nicknamed "the indignant" marched  in major cities across Europe, against government cost-cutting and failed financial policies.  In Rome, dozens of people were injured when clashes broke out Saturday during a massive protest of the government's handling of the economy.

Occupy Movement Spreads Worldwide

Thousands of protesters have occupied New York City's Times Square, buoyed by a day of demonstrations around the world in support of their monthlong campaign against corporate greed.

Police in riot gear and mounted on horses tried to push people out of the square in an attempt to funnel the crowds away.

It was just one of several protests held throughout the United States and across the world Saturday inspired by the "Occupy Wall Street" movement.

In London, scuffles broke out between police and protesters among the hundreds gathered near St. Paul's Cathedral.

Demonstrations also took place in Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Germany, and France, where members of the Group of 20 financial powers are meeting in Paris to discuss the European economic crisis.

Tens of thousands of demonstrators turned out Saturday in central Rome to voice their discontent at the government's failure to deal with the economic crisis.  But soon what began as a peaceful demonstration turned violent.

Hundreds of radicals dressed in black and wearing helmets hurled rocks, paper bombs and bottles at the police.  They smashed shop and bank windows with clubs and sticks.  They set fire to trash cans and cars and black smoke could be seen billowing across central Rome.

One building, believed to be an annex of the Defense Ministry, caught fire after the flames spread from a car.  The protesters had earlier forced their way into the annex and trashed the offices.

Peaceful demonstrators were seen running away and shouting at the violent ones.  Police in anti-riot gear charged at the radicals firing tear gas and using water cannons to try to disperse them.

Dozens of demonstrators and police officials were injured.

The Rome protest was one of many staged around the world on Saturday to show solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street movement in the United States, venting anger over years of economic and financial crisis.

This Italian demonstrator said this is the revolution that is being fought in the country because it is no longer possible that politics has been taken over by the economy and by finance, which is something invisible that suffocates the life of people in a very visible way.

Mario Draghi, the outgoing Bank of Italy governor, who will become the president of the European Central Bank next month, had expressed support for a peaceful march.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/europe/European-Economic-Protests-Turn-Violent-in-Rome-131922138.html

Rome protest against corporate greed turns violent

ROME (AP) — Tens of thousands nicknamed "the indignant" marched Saturday in European cities as protests against capitalism and austerity measures went global. Violence broke out in Rome, where some protesters smashed shop windows, torched cars and attacked news crews.

The "Occupy Wall Street" protests that began in Canada and spread to cities across the U.S. moved Saturday to Asia and Europe, linking up with anti-austerity demonstrations that have raged across the debt-ridden continent for months.

Black smoke billowed into the air in downtown Rome as a small group of violent protesters broke away from the main demonstration. They smashed car windows, set vehicles on fire and assaulted two news crews of Sky Italia, the TV reported. Others burned Italian and EU flags.

Police were out in force in Rome, which expected up to 100,000 protesters a day after Premier Silvio Berlusconi barely survived a confidence vote. Italy, with a national debt ratio second only to Greece in the 17-nation eurozone, is rapidly becoming a focus of concern in Europe's debt crisis.

"People of Europe: Rise Up!" read one banner in Rome. Some peaceful demonstrators turned against the violent group and tried to stop them, hurling bottles at them, Sky and the ANSA news agency reported. Others fled, scared by the violence.

Around 4,000 people marched through the streets of Berlin, with banners that urged the end of capitalism. Some marchers scuffled with police as they tried to get near the country's parliamentary buildings. In Frankfurt, continental Europe's financial capital, some 5,000 people protested in front of the European Central Bank.

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange spoke to 500 demonstrators outside St. Paul's cathedral in London.

"The banking system in London is the recipient of corrupt money," he said, adding that Wikileaks would launch a campaign against financial institutions in the coming months.

Assange is on bail as he fights extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning over claims of rape and sexual molestation made by two women.

In the Bosnian city of Sarajevo, hundreds walked through the streets carrying pictures of Che Guevara and old communist flags that read "Death to capitalism, freedom to the people."

Another 500 people gathered to hear speakers denounce capitalism at a peaceful rally in downtown Stockholm, holding up red flags and banners that read "We are the 99 percent" and "We refuse to pay for capitalism's crisis."

The reference was to the world's richest 1 percent, who control billions in assets, while billions around the world live in poverty or are struggling economically.

"There are those who say the system is broke. It's not," trade union activist Bilbo Goransson shouted into a megaphone. "That's how it was built. It is there to make rich people richer."

In Spain, groups that became known as the Indignant Movement established the first around-the-clock "occupation" protest camps in cities and towns across the country beginning in May and lasting for weeks. Six marches are set to converge Saturday on Madrid's Puerta del Sol plaza just before dusk.

Portuguese angry at their government's handling of the economic crisis are protesting in downtown Lisbon later. Portugal is one of three European nations — the others being Greece and Ireland — that have already needed an international bailout.

A group of 100 prominent authors, including Salman Rushdie, Neil Gaiman and Pulitzer Prize-winning novelists Jennifer Egan and Michael Cunningham, signed an online petition declaring their support for "Occupy Wall Street and the Occupy Movement around the world."

Turnout was light in Asia, where the global economy is booming.

In Sydney, around 300 people gathered Saturday, cheering a speaker who shouted, "We're sick of corporate greed! Big banks, big corporate power standing over us and taking away our rights!"

Only 200 people protested in Tokyo, marching outside the Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the tsunami-hit Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, chanting anti-nuclear slogans.

"No to nuclear power!" marchers chanted as they held up banners.

In the Philippines, about 100 people marched on the U.S. Embassy in Manila to express support for the U.S. Occupy Wall Street protests and to denounce what they called "U.S. imperialism."

In Canada, protests were planned in Montreal and Vancouver as well as at the country's main stock exchange in Toronto.

Selva wrote from London. Associated Press writers Alessandra Rizzo in Rome, Sylvia Hui in London.Kristen Gelineau in Sydney, Mari Yamaguchi in Tokyo, Oliver Teves in Manila, Harold Heckle in Madrid, and Juergen Baetz in Berlin contributed to this story.

http://news.yahoo.com/rome-protest-against-corporate-greed-turns-violent-132401879.html

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtxV43CwlMY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8QYKtYiboQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aMD4QIvGUE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SnKjgKGNZM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXV6ycNpTBs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p77BHiqOeb4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHH5G4CAhas[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVSNqQHYOGo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKdZfhRXK_8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKdZfhRXK_8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCurNihIVrA[/YOUTUBE]
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
It is really tragic that the Occupy movement in Rome turned violent. I think the message of the Occupy movement is a valid one, that governments should stop bowing to corporate greed and consider the real middle class, working class people. I hope the movement does not lose credibility or get looked down based on this one incident. The original occupy Wall Street movement has been going peaceful, despite all the arrests and police work.

As a Madisonian, I'll claim that we inspired the occupy movement by being the first to occupy the capitol back in February and then Walkverville later in summer. Although in a long sight Egypt can claim to be the original when they occupied Tahrir.
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
A clear indication that people are having a tough time. Often people could be angry about no jobs and no money.
monar thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I don't deny the fact that there are issues, and 99% and 1% distribution isn't fair at all. But I have serious problems with this entire occupy movement.

1. this distribution of wealth was always there in American society (even before great depression and with Great Gen). Then why issues now?

2. Do these protesters understand the implications of not bailing out financial institutions in 2008?

3. Do they even know Financial institutions have returned the money.

4. Instead of this occupy wallstreet movement, they should concentrate on education reform bill, and stop the damn drop out ratio after high school.

5. US should start their manufacturing units else things will be tougher in coming years.

at the end ppl @ wall street are the ones who run their lives on credit.
Originally posted by: monar

1. this distribution of wealth was always there in American society (even before great depression and with Great Gen). Then why issues now?

That is not true. The income gap was not as wide and the tax burden was more fairly allocated.

2. Do these protesters understand the implications of not bailing out financial institutions in 2008?

Yes! Most people do not understand that bailing out was necessary. Trickle down economics works, but one sided.

That is if I make a whopping profit, I am more likely to keep the bigger share of the pie to myself and pass a smaller share to my employees. However, if I make a whopping loss, I am more likely to funnel the losses to my employees and minimize the impact on me.

That means that when the financial bubble collapsed, the impact would have been funneled down and the a lot more of our assets, even secure banking assets would have become insolvent.

I think people need to be educated why bailouts are necessary to prevent a domino collapse effect. My major concern is the lack of oversight. Reintroduce acts like Glass-Steagal and make the finance industry more accountable and maintain oversight.

When the wolf come in and eat all the sheep, you just don't give the farmer sheep for the wolf to come and eat it again. You build a fence, hire a shepherd and sheep dogs. You secure the sheep. We need an oversight and accountability structure reintroduced, so that wolves don't keep eating the sheep and starting the same cycle.

3. Do they even know Financial institutions have returned the money.

Many are not aware of the returned money either. The amount repaid is $238 B. $310 B is outstanding.

The bailout money was intended to stimulate the economy and get us stability bottom up from the foundations. Most banking institutions used the bailout money to regain solvency, churned it into income, paid out the top level and returned it. The main street workers and investors never received the benefit they should have received.

4. Instead of this occupy wallstreet movement, they should concentrate on education reform bill, and stop the damn drop out ratio after high school.

Occupy Wall Street is trying to minimize the income gap and make the tax structure fair for this and many other reasons. The problem is that with austerity measures education is receiving budget cuts, after school activities are cut down, low income incentives and access to education is being cut off, student loans are being cut back and many able and willing good students can't afford a good education without drowning in debt. Also what is the point of having an educated population when the jobs for them don't exist. That is just as good as running up a charge on your credit card with no income stream to pay it back.

Tax reform, oversight and accountability laws are the means to ensure that we have the revenue to invest in education, improve education quality, reduce high school drop outs, reach out to underprivileged children and protect them from crime and other such things that are essential for productive society.

5. US should start their manufacturing units else things will be tougher in coming years.

The goal of business is profit. We can bring manufacturing back to US by penalizing business for outsourcing and forcing them to bring manufacturing back - which would most likely lead to businesses entirely moving out of the USA to more lucrative locale. Or we can try to create incentives for small businesses and local entrepreneurs to innovate, create new industries, new job streams back home. Every recovery in history did not take place by bringing back what was lost, but innovating to create something new in its stead.

at the end ppl @ wall street are the ones who run their lives on credit.

That is a very unfair generalization and misunderstanding. There are many well employed and well educated people who support Occupy Wall Street. You actually have many businesses small and large that support the movement. Corporate responsibility, and social responsibility by the wealthiest are essential for the success of any nation. If not that nation might as well cease to be a free nation and go on the path to becoming a corporate empire. One sneaky little company from a tiny island did that corporate greed thing very well and ended up having almost the whole world on their balance sheet as assets.
bila_a thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
i'm all for the campaign against greed, i think that should be addressed properly, but what i don't like is, how the protest becomes a riot and violent. i mean whats the point when you begin to act juvenile and put peoples lives at risk. i mean yeah it would get media coverage but there is no way governments will listen with that kind of behaviour and to be frank it's pathetic and i lose repsect for people that act like that. i mean there're protesting against greed but then turn around and harm one another as well as damage property. does that makie any sense. Edited by bila_a - 12 years ago
Originally posted by: bila_a

i'm all for the campaign against greed, i think that should be addressed properly, but what i don't like is, how the protest becomes a riot and violent. i mean whats the point when you begin to act juvenile and put peoples lives at risk. i mean yeah it would get media coverage but there is no way governments will listen with that kind of behaviour and to be frank it's pathetic and i lose repsect for people that act like that. i mean there're protesting against greed but then turn around and harm one another as well as damage property. does that makie any sense.

You have to remember this was ONE incident in Rome.

The original Occupy Wall Street movement has been going on for weeks. Despite arrests and other incidents like tazing, pepper spraying and confining – protestors on the most part have been civil.

Even the budget protests that took place in WI, OH, IN, MI gathered crowds of 80,000 to 120,000 on days, but never turned violent.

This is something that has gone on for a very long time without getting rowdy or violent. However, the peaceful protests and civil debating did not garner any media attention. That is why I find it unfortunate that globally people begin to doubt the movement and its credibility based on what happened in Rome.

And for countries like Italy, Greece etc, you have to take the historic and cultural differential in context. Unlike the United States and other western countries where the middle class have had employment, stability and access to be educated in the past – many smaller countries (and rural America) are very much like rural or backward India where people never had opportunities at education, employment etc. So they have more propensity to be drastic or violent compared to a more educated class of people that knows better.

mind-googling thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Kings and queens are packing their bags. Dictators are digging holes to hide in. It's about time people at the helm of make-believe democracies were made to sit up and take notice.

You don't know what to make of democracy when your life doesn't get a fair starting point in terms of food, health, education etc. You don't know what to do with your franchise when you don't have a choice.

https://img38.imagefra.me/img/img38/2/3/13/21files/f_154tabgamuom_d1b0cc1.jpg
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Looks like no solution yet on the cards but it is nice to see that the richer nations trying to help the weaker ones. But if the weaker countries are not run well or have no resources then nothing much can be done.
Part of the problem is due to a strong Euro that has made the weaker countries uncompetitive as their labour and operating costs go up. Since they cannot have the option of devaluing the currency they can only cut down wages and unnecessary expenditures.