On the name of Modernization our country is turnin

Pashupati1231 thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago
On the name of Modernization our country is turning towards Westernization.
Where we are losing our own Recognization.
What's yr openion.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Hmm...Firstly we need to find answer to few questions before we start our crusade against Westernization...

1. What do we mean by Indian Culture? What is the definition of the word 'Indian' in this term which we use so invariably? I suppose we all agree that India is a multi-religious, multi-lingual and multi-cultural nation in its present form..

2. What are the realms and bounds of this 'Indian culture'? What are the do's and dont's?

3. Even if the definitions and realms are fixed, how will following this 'Indian culture' and not western culture help us?

4. Why do we think that people today are more inclined towards a foreign culture? Just for fun or excitement or experiments? Or have people found a better and progressive life than their own culture can give them?

5. Incase people deem their own culture to be regressive and stagnant, how can we change their views or how can we convince them that this 'Indian culture' can give them a better and less restrictive life than the 'Western Culture'?
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
What is westernization and why is it wrong?

I live in a place that Indians would call the west, the big bad west, I live in  United States of America. There somewhat towards the center of the country is the State of Wisconsin. It is a hodge podge medley of Irish, Germans, Italians, Scandinavian, and various other immigrants keeping their home cultures alive, in a whole new culture, collectively branded under the green and gold flag of the Green Bay Packers. We're not Hollywood celebrities, Wall Street Bankers or Texas oil tycoons. We're farmers, meat packers, micro-brewers, small town ma and pa shops and businesses.

We live by a code of conduct in life known as good old fashioned Midwestern values. We would describe Midwestern values as an honest day's work for an honest day's pay, hard work, honesty, modesty, lack of pretension, your word is your bond, always lend a helping hand, never stand by and tolerate injustice or suffering, your name/reputation/character is your most prized possession. Aversion to shiny objects and flashy ways (consumerism, political spin, fast talkers, etc.). Gratitude for the simple things, good food, health, the love of family, shelter, friends and community. Pulling together when needed yet giving each other space to live independently.

Probably also god-fearing, church-going would be in there, but more important living in a way that demonstrates the values taught in almost every church in the world: love thy neighbor as theyself, thou shalt not steal, etc., etc. [1]

Is this the west you are afraid of? Are these the western values you fear will invade and destroy your country? Is there really something so grossly wrong and bad about our culture and values that you are apprehensive about it? Whatever your opinion, on this 4th of July, I sure as hell take pride in being a westerner, an American, and more importantly I take pride in being a Wisconsinite, a proud peasant from America's dairyland.

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I live in a place that Indians would call the west, the big bad west, I live in  United States of America. There somewhat towards the center of the country is the State of Wisconsin. It is a hodge podge medley of Irish, Germans, Italians, Scandinavian, and various other immigrants keeping their home cultures alive, in a whole new culture, collectively branded under the green and gold flag of the Green Bay Packers. We're not Hollywood celebrities, Wall Street Bankers or Texas oil tycoons. We're farmers, meat packers, micro-brewers, small town ma and pa shops and businesses.

We live by a code of conduct in life known as good old fashioned Midwestern values. We would describe Midwestern values as an honest day's work for an honest day's pay, hard work, honesty, modesty, lack of pretension, your word is your bond, always lend a helping hand, never stand by and tolerate injustice or suffering, your name/reputation/character is your most prized possession. Aversion to shiny objects and flashy ways (consumerism, political spin, fast talkers, etc.). Gratitude for the simple things, good food, health, the love of family, shelter, friends and community. Pulling together when needed yet giving each other space to live independently.

Probably also god-fearing, church-going would be in there, but more important living in a way that demonstrates the values taught in almost every church in the world: love thy neighbor as theyself, thou shalt not steal, etc., etc. [1]

Is this the west you are afraid of? Are these the western values you fear will invade and destroy your country? Is there really something so grossly wrong and bad about our culture and values that you are apprehensive about it? Whatever your opinion, on this 4th of July, I sure as hell take pride in being a westerner, an American, and more importantly I take pride in being a Wisconsinite, a proud peasant from America's dairyland.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080412094027AAjCUIP

Damn! What's the matter with you (unless you are "akqri" youself)?!

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
^^

Did you see that I have a reference linking to where I got the quote from. I had recently read it, so it was fresh on my mind. It strikes a chord with me, so I used it here.

Don't dare accuse me of plagiarism, I have never and would never do that.
blue-ice. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: K.Resurrected.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080412094027AAjCUIP

Damn! What's the matter with you (unless you are "akqri" youself)?!

*Clicks the dislike button*
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

I don't think the topic questioned the righteousness of western culture, rather it questions the need for Indians to discard everything Indian and become western.

Has someone got the right to emulate the values of another culture, especially if they are good? Certainly. However, is it right to discard everything, especially good values, that are indigenous just because of this drive to adopt the foreign? I don't think so, as in the long run you place yourself in an inferior and subservient position by losing your own identity.
Even if the good indigenous values are substituted by equally good foreign practices, it still comes across as lack of self-esteem.

Edited by souro - 12 years ago
Plagiarism is a strong word. This is not academia. If I ask you why you took my candy, you don't bare your teeth at me like a barracuda and retort something like "don't you dare accuse me of misappropriation!" or something like "don't you dare accuse me of embezzlement!" That's taking it too far. No need for that kind of aggression.

There was nothing extraordinary about that answer from answers.yahoo.com that one needs to credit the "author". Probably. But just so everybody knows, when you copy/paste stuff, that stuff might have bookmark hyperlinks even though it might appear like regular text to you. Just an FYI, in case you are passing something as your own. I am NOT saying anybody did that, I am only pointing it out to those who don't know.

In any case, Westernization has more to do with Europe than Midwestern US (or even US for that matter) so I don't think I got the relevance of that particular reference.

*Clicks the dislike button*

At last! But I compensated 😆
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

^^

Did you see that I have a reference linking to where I got the quote from. I had recently read it, so it was fresh on my mind. It strikes a chord with me, so I used it here.

Don't dare accuse me of plagiarism, I have never and would never do that.

Yep a pretty nice quote.