Hanuman Jayanti Greetings: Jai Bajrangbali!

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago

Not long after the blessed occasion of Ram Navami, we celebrate Hanumanji's birth on a day known as Hanuman Jayanti. This year it falls on the 18th of April (my tomorrow, though for many of you it's today)... so I invite all of you to share any stories/information/creations/experiences related to Hanumanji so we can join in glorifying this ideal devotee form of God!

About Hanuman Jayanti

Yatra yatra raghunatha kirtanam;
Tatra tatra kritha masthakanjalim;
Bhaspavaari paripurna lochanam;
Maarutim namata raakshasanthakam

Meaning : "We bow to Maruti, Sri Hanuman, who stands with his palms folded above his forehead, with a torrent of tears flowing down his eyes wherever the Names of Lord Rama are sung".

Sri Hanuman is worshipped all over India-either alone or together with Sri Rama. Every temple of Sri Rama has the murti or idol of Sri Hanuman. Hanuman is the Avatara of Lord Shiva. He was born of the Wind-God and Anjani Devi. His other names are Pavanasuta, Marutsuta, Pavankumar, Bajrangabali and Mahavira.

He is the living embodiment of Ram-Nam. He was an ideal selfless worker, a true Karma Yogi who worked desirelessly and dynamically. He was a great devotee and an exceptional Brahmachari or celibate. He served Sri Rama with pure love and devotion, without expecting any fruit in return. He lived to serve Sri Rama. He was humble, brave and wise. He possessed all the divine virtues. He did what others could not do-crossing the ocean simply by uttering Ram-Nam, burning the city of Lanka, and bringing the sanjeevini herb and restoring Lakshmana to life again. He brought Sri Rama and Lakshmana from the nether world after killing Ahiravana.

He had devotion, knowledge, spirit of selfless service, power of celibacy, and desirelessness. He never boasted of his bravery and intelligence.

He said to Ravana, "I am a humble messenger of Sri Rama. I have come here to serve Rama, to do His work. By the command of Lord Rama, I have come here. I am fearless by the Grace of Lord Rama. I am not afraid of death. I welcome it if it comes while serving Lord Rama."

Mark here how humble Hanuman was! How very devoted he was to Lord Rama! He never said, "I am the brave Hanuman. I can do anything and everything."

Lord Rama Himself said to Sri Hanuman, "I am greatly indebted to you, O mighty hero! You did marvellous, superhuman deeds. You do not want anything in return. Sugriva has his kingdom restored to him. Angada has been made the crown prince. Vibhishana has become king of Lanka. But you have not asked for anything at any time. You threw away the precious garland of pearls given to you by Sita. How can I repay My debt of gratitude to you? I will always remain deeply indebted to you. I give you the boon of everlasting life. All will honour and worship you like Myself. Your murti will be placed at the door of My temple and you will be worshipped and honoured first. Whenever My stories are recited or glories sung, your glory will be sung before Mine. You will be able to do anything, even that which I will not be able to!"

Thus did Lord Rama praise Hanuman when the latter returned to Him after finding Sita in Lanka. Hanuman was not a bit elated. He fell in prostration at the holy feet of Lord Rama.
   Lord Rama asked him, "O mighty hero, how did you cross the ocean?"
   Hanuman humbly replied, "By the power and glory of Thy Name, my Lord."
   Again the Lord asked, "How did you burn Lanka? How did you save yourself?"
   And Hanuman replied, "By Thy Grace, my Lord."
   What humility Sri Hanuman embodied!
   His birthday falls on Chaitra Shukla Purnima (the March-April full moon day).

On this holy day worship Sri Hanuman. Fast on this day. Read the Hanuman Chalisa. Spend the whole day in the Japa of Ram-Nam. Sri Hanuman will be highly pleased and will bless you with success in all your undertakings.

Glory to Hanuman! Glory to his Lord, Sri Rama!

Source: http://festivals.tajonline.com/hanuman-jayanti.php
Edited by lola610 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Here are a couple of video clips from various mythological serials depicting the greatness of Hanumanji:

Hanuman Chalisa
Goswami Tulsidasji's narrative poem which summarizes the virtues and deeds of Hanumanji, with clips from RS Ramayan

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A9QWDvIY50[/YOUTUBE]

Hanumanji's mischievous childhood exploits and the resulting curse
Young Hanumanji plays pranks at Rishi Angiraj's ashram, for which he is cursed to forget his unique powers until the moment they are most needed for a good cause, as shown in AS Ramayan

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZaPwd2HMU[/YOUTUBE]

Hanuman's flight to Lanka, meeting with Vibhishan, and blessings from Sita Maa
The hour of need arrives, Hanumanji is reminded of his powers by Jambvantji, and he flies to Lanka in search of Sita Maa... he overcomes several obstacles along the way, and once he reaches, he helps fellow Ram bhakt Vibhishan gain confidence in his own devotion... he then finds Sita Maa, gains her trust, and assures her that Shri Ram will soon arrive for her rescue... she blesses him that he may be most dear to Shri Ram forever, and upon his return Shri Ram confirms this blessing (from RS Ramayan)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJEUWo6RGQg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBPsGyxWMaQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti79qJshLTk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRoYHVIfgBI[/YOUTUBE]

Saving Lakshman's Life
Hanumanji brings the Dronagiri Parvat on which there are divine plants that save Lakshman's life after he has been struck by Meghnaad's barchhi (RS Ramayan)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot5UMJx3GAs[/YOUTUBE]

Hanumanji reveals that SiyaRam reside in his heart
After receiving a costly gift of jewels from SiyaRam on the divine occasion of their Rajyabhishek, Hanumanji responds that it pales in comparison to the priceless treasure of having the image of his beloved SiyaRam reflect in his heart - and he is blessed with this very gift by them (RS Uttar Ramayan)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FVrL6DXdw[/YOUTUBE]

Hanumanji applies sindoor for Shri Ram's wellbeing
Upon learning of the auspiciousness of sindoor from Sita Maa, Hanumanji disregards the thought of ridicule by others and applies it all over his body to promote Shri Ram's long life (AS Ramayan)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmhU2DhzD7w[/YOUTUBE]
Edited by lola610 - 13 years ago
DharmaPriyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Pavan-tanaya sankat-harana, mangal muroti roop
Ram-Lakshman-Seeta sahita hridaya basahun suro bhoop!

Happy Birthday my dear Hanumanji! here is a small gift from my side,

Hanuman Chalisa by Anup Jalota,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD0Lnh0IJHY

Thanks Lola for creating the thread! May Lord Hanuman bless all of you!
Jai Hanuman!
Edited by Urmila11 - 13 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Happy Hanuman Jayanti, everyone!🥳 Will try to make some creations if possible, but in case I am late, I will not put any specific Jayanti text on them and just write Jai Hanuman or something.😆

Thanks for sharing the vids, Lola, I love all of them soooooo much, esp the entire Sundar Kand from RSR. It was so beautifully portrayed and I never get bored of watching it.😍 And the Sindhoor epi from ASR is another fav, it was taken very well!
MagadhSundari thumbnail
@ Sema - what a beautiful gift dear, I'm sure He loves it! God bless!!!

@ Janu - lol same here, I'm gonna try and make generic gifts so, hypothetically speaking, He could use them year round if He had an IF account 😆 Luckily I have one ready that I didn't put in the update from the scene where he carries RamLakhan on his shoulders, will post it when I get on my desktop tomorrow. And glad you liked the choice of scenes, I too love them... they're all timeless and there's so much to learn from each line 😍

And btw guys, feel free to share stories about him from other sites as well as YT videos of bhajans you like, and even lyrics/translations of prayers dedicated to him in any language, apart from siggies until you make them!
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Here's a siggie I just made real quick, a simple one on his emotional reaction to his first glimpse of Sita Maa suffering in Ashok Vatika but glowing with devotion to Shri Ram... feel free to use guys, Happy Birthday Bajrangbali!!!

MagadhSundari thumbnail
One more thing before I'm off to bed... this article contains several stories about Hanumanji, many of which we already know, but it includes some beautiful interpretations that show how relevant the stories are in our everyday life. Enjoy! http://www.exoticindiaart.com/article/hanuman/

Hanuman The Selfless

Valmiki and the Wounded Bird

A pair of lovebirds, reveling in their natural freedom, was soaring the boundless skies. Fate however had scripted a cruel ending to their mating. A hunter's arrow found its mark and the devoted female lost her male. She did not however escape from the scene but rather lingered on, circling over the lifeless form of her mate. Witnessing this poignant episode inspired the accomplished sage Valmiki to poetry and what came out of his heart was the Ramayana, one of the greatest epics the earth has had the good fortune to inherit. Indeed, Valmiki's poem became renowned in the three worlds as it struck a chord in every heart that heard it.

One day Valmiki came to know that the great Hanuman too had penned the adventures of Rama, engraving the story with his nails on rocks. A curious Valmiki traveled to the Himalayas where Hanuman was residing to partake this version. When Hanuman read out his narration, Valmiki was overwhelmed by its sheer power and poetic caliber. It was truly an inspired piece. Valmiki felt both joy and sorrow. Joy because he had had the chance to hear an exceptionally beautiful poem, and sad because it obviously overshadowed his own work.
When Hanuman saw the unhappiness his work had caused Valmiki he smashed he engraved rocks destroying his creation forever. Such was Hanuman's selflessness. For him, narrating the tales of Rama' s adventures was a means to re-experience Rama, not a ticket to the hall of fame.
Hanuman's name too illustrates his self-effacing character, being made up of 'hanan' (annihilation) and 'man' (mind), thus indicating one who has conquered his ego.

Hanuman and Yoga

Hanuman as Yogachara
Hanuman as Yogachara

If yoga is the ability to control one's mind then Hanuman is the quintessential yogi having a perfect mastery over his senses, achieved through a disciplined lifestyle tempered by the twin streams of celibacy and selfless devotion (bhakti). In fact, Hanuman is the ideal Brahmachari (one who follows the path of Brahma), if ever there was one.
He is also a perfect karma yogi since he performs his actions with detachment, acting as an instrument of destiny rather than being impelled by any selfish motive.

Hanuman - The First to Teach Pranayama and the Inventor of the Surya Namaskar

Pranayama is the ability to control one's breath so that the inhalation and exhalation of air is rhythmic. Vayu, the god of air and wind, first taught pranayama to his son Hanuman, who in turn taught it to mankind.
The Surya Namaskar (salutation to the sun) too, was devised by Hanuman as a greeting for his teacher Surya.

Hanuman and Sorcery

The villain of the epic Ramayana was the mighty demon Ravana. When he carried away Sita, her aggrieved husband Rama, accompanied by Hanuman and a massive army of monkeys laid siege on Lanka, the capital of Ravana's empire. As the battle progressed, the demon lost all his brothers and sons and it became clear that he was headed towards defeat. Finally, he sent for his only surviving son Mahiravana, a powerful sorcerer who ruled over the underworld (patala loka). Mahiravana was a great devotee of Goddess Kali from whom he had obtained vital occult secrets. Initially Mahiravana did not wish to join the fight against Rama since he felt the latter's cause to be just. But understanding his weakness for ritual magick Ravana addressed him thus: "Think of the powers the goddess Kali will grant you when you offer to her the heads of two handsome and virile youths like Rama and Lakshmana." Needles to say, Mahiravana agreed.
The great sorcerer Mahiravana managed to kidnap both Rama and his brother Lakshmana while they were sleeping. He left behind, in place of their bed, a dark trail stretching deep into the bowels of the earth. Hanuman immediately dived into the tunnel and made his way to patala, the subterranean kingdom of Mahiravana. There he found the two brothers tied to a post, their bodies anointed with mustard oil and bedecked with marigold flowers, ready to be sacrificed. Near them, Mahiravana was sharpening the sacrificial blade and chanting hymns to invoke the goddess.
Sri Vaibhav Hanumana Yantra
Sri Vaibhav Hanumana Yantra
Hanuman taking the form of a bee whispered into Rama's ear, "When Mahiravana asks you to place your neck on the sacrificial block, inform him that being of royal lineage you have never learned to bow your head. Tell him to show you how." Mahiravana fell for the trap. No sooner had he bowed his head in the ritually prescribed manner than Hanuman regained his form, seized the blade, and decapitated the sorcerer. Thus did Hanuman turn the tables and sacrificed the demon himself to Mother Goddess Kali. Impressed, she made Hanuman her doorkeeper and indeed many temples of the goddess are seen to have a monkey guarding their doorways. Further, to this day, Hanuman is invoked in any fight against sorcery, and amulets and charms depicting him are therefore extremely popular among devotees.

Why Idols of Hanuman are Red in Color

Rama Durbar
Rama Durbar

After safely reaching Ayodhya, Rama in no time settled down to a happy life of kingship and matrimony. Hanuman continued to be a constant and devoted companion with an unrestricted access to Rama.

Life went on normally. Many delightful episodes from this period establish Hanuman as the ultimate bhakta, and shed much light on his unique personality.
Hanumana
Hanumana

Every morning Hanuman would observe Sita put a red mark on her forehead and smear the parting of her hair with vermilion powder, enacting a ritual which is the exclusive prerogative of married women in India. Being naturally of a curious bent of mind he asked her the reason behind this daily ritual. "For the well-being of my husband," replied she. Hanuman, ever the humble well-wisher of his chosen lord wondered: "If a virtuous woman like Sita has to apply vermilion in this manner for the good of Lord Rama, I, a mere monkey, need to do more." Thus thinking, he took a bowlful of the paste and smeared his whole body with it. Needless to say, both Rama and Sita were moved by the purity of Hanuman's heart. Since then, idols of Hanuman are colored a rich vermilion red.

Why Hanuman is Shown Tearing Open his Own Chest

Hanuman Tears Open His Chest
Hanuman Tears Open His Chest

Once Sita gave Hanuman a necklace of pearls. After a while, the residents of the city observed him breaking the necklace and inspecting each pearl minutely. Intrigued they asked him the reason. "I am looking for Rama and Sita," replied Hanuman. Laughing at his apparent naivety the spectators pointed out to him that the royal couple was at the moment seated on the imperial throne. "But Rama and Sita are everywhere, including my heart" wondered aloud the true bhakta. Not understanding the depth of his devotion, they further teased him: "So Rama and Sita live in your heart, can you show them to us?" Unhesitatingly, Hanuman stood up and with his sharp talons tore open his chest. There, within his throbbing heart, the astonished audience were taken aback to find enshrined an image of Rama and Sita. Never again did anyone make fun of Hanuman's devotion.

The Five-Headed (Panchamukhi) Hanuman - An Intriguing Image

Madhavacharya (1197-76)
Madhavacharya (1197-76)

Vaishnavas believe that the wind-god Vayu underwent three incarnations to help Lord Vishnu. As Hanuman he helped Rama; as Bheema he assisted Krishna; and as Madhavacharya (1197-76), he founded the Vaishnava sect.

Hanuman, Humble and Powerful
Hanuman, Humble and Powerful

It is interesting to note that in his youth Madhavacharya distinguished himself in physical exercises and field games and is said to have had a wonderful physique. Truly, physical prowess is an integral aspect of the cult of Hanuman and he is the patron deity of wrestlers and body-builders. He is most popularly referred to as 'Vajra-anga-Bali,' meaning the Powerful One (bali) with a body (anga) hard as a thunderbolt (vajra).

Five-Headed Hanumana
Five-Headed Hanumana

The Vaishnavas evolved a syncretic form of Hanuman with five heads and ten arms, incorporating in the composite image five important Vaishnavite deities:
At the center a monkey's face (Hanuman).
A lion's visage representing Narasimha gazing southwards.
An eagle's head symbolizing Garuda facing west.
A boar head of Varaha (north).
A horse's face for Hayagriva (facing the sky).
Each head signifies a particular trait. Hanuman courage and strength, Narasimha fearlessness, Garuda magical skills and the power to cure snake bites, Varaha health and exorcism and Hayagriva victory over enemies.

The Spiritual Significance of Hanuman

The goal of all mystical yearning is union of the individual soul with the universal soul. In the Adhyatma ('spiritual') Ramayana, a Sanskrit text dating from the fourteenth or fifteenth century, Sita represents the individual (jiva-atma), which has separated from the universal (param-atma) symbolized by Rama. In a beautiful interpretation, Hanuman here is said to personify bhakti, which annihilates the 'ahankara' or ego (Ravana), and re-unites the two.

The Enduring Relevance of Hanuman

In Hindu symbolism, a monkey signifies the human mind, which is ever restless and never still. This monkey-mind happens to be the only thing over which man has absolute control. We cannot control the world around us but we can control and tame our mind by ardent discipline. We cannot choose our life but we can choose the way we respond to it. Hanuman, when he was a child, was tempted by the sun and he rushed towards it thinking it to be a delectable fruit. On his way however, he was distracted by the planet Rahu and changed his path. Thus Hanuman is the temperamental human intellect, which is unquiet and excitable. It is only by diverting it to the path of pure bhakti (devotion), that it can be made aware of its profound and silent essence.
According to the Hindu point of view, there is no objective world 'out there.' The whole manifested world is a subjective phenomenon created by our own selves. We - as humans - have the unique ability to condition our minds. In other words, we have the power to change the way we perceive life. And by changing our perceptions of life, we have the power of changing our world. When Hanuman enters Rama's life, he changes Rama's world. He transforms a crisis (the loss of Sita) into an opportunity (rid the world of Ravana). He transforms a victim into a hero.
Thus, Hanuman is no ordinary monkey. While embarking on the search for Sita, the monkeys were confronted by the vast ocean lying between them and Lanka. They wondered how they would make their way across this mighty obstacle. Someone suggested that Hanuman jump and cross over the sea. But Hanuman was doubtful, "I cannot do that," he said. At that moment, one of his companions reminded Hanuman of the awesome powers lying dormant within him. Instantly Hanuman regained memory of his divine strength and he successfully leaped across the ocean. Thus our mind too needs to be reminded of its divine potential and of the fact that it can achieve phenomenal heights provided it believes in its ability to perform the task in question. Truly Hanuman is symbolic of the perfect mind, and embodies the highest potential it can achieve.

References and Further Reading

• Khokar, Ashish and S. Saraswati. Hanuman: New Delhi, 2001.
  • Nagar, Shanti Lal. Hanuman in Art, Culture, Thought and Literature: New Delhi, 1995.
  • Pattanaik, Devdutt. Hanuman an Introduction: Mumbai, 2001.
  • Shri Hanuman Ank (In Hindi): Gita Press Gorakhpur, 1975.
  • Tompkins, Ptolemy. The Monkey in Art: New York, 1994.
...PARiNA... thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Happy Hanuman Jayanti Everyone !!

H = Humility (Respect)
         A = Administration (Ethics)
N = Nobility (Loyalty)
                  U = Understanding (Knowledge)
       M = Mindful (Compassion)
                           A = Accomplishment (Determination)
                              N = Nishkama-karma (Selfless Service)

Hanuman Chalisa