Posted: 13 years ago
She hadn't dwelt on it. It was just a moment, when she said, "Abhi Maa hoti to main unse poochh leti." She was sifting through jewelry samples Dadi Ma had ordered and had asked her to choose from.

But it struck him as he overheard her. Did she often have these moments, which she did not share with him? Because she did not want him to worry? He didn't have any respect for her family members given the way they had treated her. And he knew that she was strong and believed in living her life, even when her dear ones betrayed her. She had moved on and lived without the protection of her family. But at the end of the day, she was still an eighteen year old. Wouldn't it be too harsh to expect her not to crave for the company of her family, at least her parents, her mother? Especially on such an important occasion of her life, her wedding?

But all these were merely his speculations. He wasn't sure what he should do. He could try and contact her parents. Possibly after knowing that she was getting married, they would feel good for her and agree to come. But would that be the right thing to do? Would it bring back good memories for her or the bad ones? It was too risky a decision. He would never want to kill her happiness, definitely not due to something that he was trying to make her smile.

There was only one option. Talk to her. But not immediately. It was a sensitive issue and he wanted to think through his words. He wasn't good with words. He should not hurt her even by mistake.

For now, he would just pull his usual tricks and make her smile.

"Geet."

"Aap? Aap yahan kya kar rahe hain?" She startled as if caught in an act.

"Ek client se meeting karne ke liye aaya hoon," he mocked her.

"Client se meeting? Yahan? Lekin neeche office mein to sab shaadi ka samaan pada hai. Aap mujhe pahle nahin bata sakte the? Ab itni jaldi main office kaise theek karoongi?"

His smile broadened as he heard her blabbering. She suddenly noticed him smile.

"Aap mujhe buddhu bana rahe hain?"

"Banane ki kya zaroorat hai Geet?"

"Kya?" Her eyes widened at the insult, "Aap apne aap ko samajhte kya hain? Vikram aur Betal ke Vikram? Yahan kya karne aaye hain aap?"

"To mujhe tumhein ye batane ki zaroorat padegi ki main apni hone waali biwi ke kamre mein kya kar raha hoon. Haan Geet? Ye bewkoofi nahin to aur kya hai?" 

He started moving towards her with his well recognized seductive look and she started moving backwards, until she hit the bed and ended up sitting on it. He leaned, bringing his face close to hers and placed his hands on her sides on the bed. He picked up the necklace lying on her left, while he continued to look into her eyes. She did not notice the necklace, until he started putting it on her over her head. She became confused, while his hands moved to the back of her neck. She closed her eyes as his touch affected her. He pulled the strings and the necklace fitted on her neck. He ran his hands around her neck to bring them in front and caressed the necklace, "Ye perfect lag raha hai."

She opened her eyes. Confusion still reigned on her face and in her voice, "Aap..."

"... apni mishti ke liye gahne select karne aaya tha. Kaisi lagi meri pasand?"

He cupped her face and she stood up when he gestured her to.

"Bahut achchhi hai."

"Tumne to dekha bhi nahin hai ki maine kya chuna hai. Tab se mujhe hi nihar rahi ho."

"Aapne chuna hai to phir mujhe dekhne aur sochne ki kya zaroorat hai?"

He smiled and just as he was moving to kiss her, they heard footsteps outside and separated awkwardly. Dadi Ma had come.

She noticed the necklace Geet was wearing and remarked, "Are wah Geet! Ye necklace to aap par bahut janch raha hai. Badi achchhi pasand hai aapki."

Maan and Geet exchanged a quick, stealth smile and they proceeded to discuss the mandap designs with Dadi Ma.

--

They had sneaked out on the terrace after dinner. Geet was sitting on the swing, blabbering away about something or the other, when Maan suddenly interrupted her, "Geet mujhe tumse kuchh baat karni thi."

"To boliye na.."

"Geet - kuchh serious baat hai, aur..."

He appeared to be struggling to choose his words and Geet got worried. The last time she had seen him hesitate so much was when he was trying to ask her about Dev, whether he should look for her culprit and bring him to justice. What was it this time?

"Aap itna hichak kyon rahe hain? Aisi kya baat hai. Please mujhe jaldi bataiye."

"Geet tum gussa mat hona, bas mere dimaag mein baat aayi, isliye poochh raha hoon."

"Aap please paheliyan bujha kar mujhe pareshaan mat kijiye. Aisi koi baat nahin ho sakti jo aap mujhse nahin kah sakte Maan. Please bataiye."

"Geet, kya tum apne parents ko miss kar rahi ho? Kya tum chahti ho ki woh hamari shaadi attend karein?"

Geet was too shocked to react for few moments.

Even after she recovered, she wasn't sure why was he asking her this.

"Aap ye kyon poochh rahe hain? Kya aapko lagta hai ki log mere ghar waalon ke baare mein sawaal poochhenge?"

"Nahin, nahin Geet. Tum achchhi tarah se jaanti ho ki logon ki mujhe koi parwah nahin hai. Main to bas tumhari khushi ke liye jaanna chahta tha Geet. Agar apni shaadi par tum apne parents ka saath chahti ho, to main kuchh bhi kar ke unhein launga. Lekin agar ismein tumhari khushi hogi, tabhi."

Geet was overwhelmed once again at her man's concern for her happiness. She knew how much he detested her family. And how unfair they had been not only to her, but to him as well. He was still willing to go after them for her happiness.

"Maan! Rishte khoon se nahin bante, nibhane se bante hain. Aapne ek pita ki tarah meri hamesha raksha ki hai. Jab bhi main pareshaan aur udaas hui, ek maa ke tarah aapne mujhe shaant karaya hai, mujhe bharosa diya hai. Bhai-bahnon ki tarah aap mere saath hanste-khelte hain, jhagadte hain, mujhe chhedte hain, mujhe hansate hain. Aur ek sachche jeevan-saathi ki tarah har kadam par mere saath rahte hain. Mere saare rishte aap par shuru hote hain, aur aap par hi khatam hote hain Maan. Mujhe kissi aur ki zaroorat nahin hai. Mujhe apni khushiyan kissi aur ke saath nahin baantni hain."

It was Maan's turn to be overwhelmed.

"Geet!" He could not say anything else.

Geet nodded her head slightly, as if to confirm all that she had said just now. Then she got up from the swing and Maan pulled her into a hug. 

He decided to lighten the mood, "Waise Geet. Tum itni badi badi baatein karna kaise seekh gayi. Tum meri nakal kar ke practice to nahin karti rahti?"

Geet broke the embrace slightly, pretended to be angry and hit him on his shoulder. They started smiling and hugged again.

- The End -

Author's Note

I am aware that some people may not agree to the viewpoint presented in this story. The most common argument being that 'parents are parents and how can she not wish to see her parents on her wedding day?' But I have a strong opinion to the contrary.

To illustrate my idea, let me present an example from the serial itself. Do we think of Dev as the father of Geet's child? Almost everyone in love with the serial does not. Most of us accept Maan as the father. Why? Dev is the one biologically responsible for the baby. But he did not carry out his responsibilities of protecting and loving the baby. Maan did. He protected the baby and loves it as his own. So, its Maan and not Dev who is the father of the baby.

To me, Geet's parents and Dev are similar. Both have been spineless for their child. Both of them could not protect their child. The only difference is the Geet has lived with her parents for 18 years and of course, there have been moments of love and affection. But even then they had not been able to do anything to protect her from the ridicilous rules and punishments decided by Daarji. Those who have seen the initial episodes would know how torturous all of that was.

Given that they have royally failed in their basic duty as the parents, I have no sympathy for any affection between them and Geet. Check out Stockholm Syndrome. Even the captives end up developing positive feelings for their captors. It may sound harsh, but I treat this affection as closer to Stockhold Syndrome. She has been with them for 18 years, but that's it. After that they left her to die and could do nothing for her. They might as well have killed her, when she was born.

So, I am not in favour of Geet's family or parents returning to share her happiness in the wedding. They have no rights over Geet's happiness. Only Maan has that right. He is the only family she has. Her biological family can return as villains and I am all ready to accept it to carry the story forward. But not as people shown to care for her.

On this potentially controversial note, I end my thesis. πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by sharmishtha01 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jazzerette thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
You write very well....I always look forward to reading what you write. Its not only about what you bring forth in terms of romance and Maaneet moments....but it also has an underlying sense and sensibility prevailing through the story. Keep writing...and regularly. And please add me to your PM list...that is if you do send them out😊
mchopra thumbnail
wow just loved it..YUP even the thesis..u are right..i really dont think any realton has given her as much as he as..18 years they couldnt make her smile but here he gave her all in span of few months..
thanku for the wonderful OS..

Thanks πŸ˜Š

Originally posted by: jazzerette

You write very well....I always look forward to reading what you write. Its not only about what you bring forth in terms of romance and Maaneet moments....but it also has an underlying sense and sensibility prevailing through the story. Keep writing...and regularly. And please add me to your PM list...that is if you do send them out😊

That's really sweet of you. Thanks a lot for the encouraging words. I have added you to my buddy list to which I send out the PMs. πŸ˜Š

Originally posted by: mchopra

wow just loved it..YUP even the thesis..u are right..i really dont think any realton has given her as much as he as..18 years they couldnt make her smile but here he gave her all in span of few months..

thanku for the wonderful OS..

Thanks Shreya. I also read your OSs in the den. πŸ˜Š
LoNeLy..GaL thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Wow superb loved it outstanding mind-blowing I Dnt hv word so say hw much good excellent perfect story was .in future ur gone be a good writer I think so no I'm sure .So Best Of Luck
macho_muffin thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Happy New Year everyone!πŸ˜ƒ

Heyy,

aww this was such a touching OS....and seriously, hats off to you cuz that one paragraph about Geet explaining how maan is everything for her literally moved me!!πŸ‘....i think that is one of the most beautiful things I have heard....and ofcourse, brilliant job at analyzing their relationship to this level!!😳
ofcourse, only maan knows what looks best on his mishti😳....and a truly apt title too....maan has fulfilled every relation for Geet!!....*sigh goes into maaneet land again*πŸ˜†
beautiful OS!!....loved it!
thanks for the pm
liv2laugh thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
This is beautiful πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

I loved how he asked Geet about whether she wanted her family πŸ˜ƒ

But I loved her reply the best ⭐️  ⭐️ ⭐️

I am completely on board with your sentiments about her family and about Dev. They failed her when she needed them the most and so lost the right to partake in her happiness.

Please write some more.
Wish you a very happy new year
Jhan
roseinbloom thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Golden Line:

Maan! Rishte khoon se nahin bante, nibhane se bante hain. Aapne ek pita ki tarah meri hamesha raksha ki hai. Jab bhi main pareshaan aur udaas hui, ek maa ke tarah aapne mujhe shaant karaya hai, mujhe bharosa diya hai. Bhai-bahnon ki tarah aap mere saath hanste-khelte hain, jhagadte hain, mujhe chhedte hain, mujhe hansate hain. Aur ek sachche jeevan-saathi ki tarah har kadam par mere saath rahte hain. Mere saare rishte aap par shuru hote hain, aur aap par hi khatam hote hain Maan. Mujhe kissi aur ki zaroorat nahin hai. Mujhe apni khushiyan kissi aur ke saath nahin baantni hain."

That truly deserves an applause! πŸ‘ I love how you summed up their relationship and the many different roles Maan has played in her life. That is a really beautiful line! I hope the CVs read this and think of incorporating that line somewhere because I loved it! And I totally agree with your thesis. 😊
kdg129 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Beautiful! Just amazingly well-written. Your writing style is superb, I can totally imagine this happening in the show. The dialogues are totally in character, and I completely agree with your ideology! I've been watching the older episodes, and I don't care how much they loved their daughter, but Geet's parents never fulfilled their duties as such. 

And the way you placed Maan in all those relationships...I mean, I felt really dumb as the epiphany hit me only as I read your OS....just too good!

Thank you for giving us this piece! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
johnangad thumbnail
agreed wid ur opinion- when they failed her when she needed them da most, they have no right to celebrate her joy