return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago
What people do when they have nothing better in life to do. Do it here and only here!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

xobile thumbnail
OK im going to make a general topic. only intelligent conversation please.

the patriotism topic got me thinking - which country do britons and amercans of indian origin have patriotic feelings for?
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: xobile

OK im going to make a general topic. only intelligent conversation please.

the patriotism topic got me thinking - which country do britons and amercans of indian origin have patriotic feelings for?

Both. That's not me trying to be diplomatic but just how I feel.
xobile thumbnail

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

Both. That's not me trying to be diplomatic but just how I feel.

Wow that's surprisingly coz I dont imagine youve spent as much time in India as you have in the UK
depends what you mean by patriotism.. if by patriotism you mean waving the flag, singing the national anthem, glorifying the country.. i don't do any of that lol.. but i respect both countries, and am loyal to the country i live in.. not blind loyalty though.
xobile thumbnail

Originally posted by: Emptiness

depends what you mean by patriotism.. if by patriotism you mean waving the flag, singing the national anthem, glorifying the country.. i don't do any of that lol.. but i respect both countries, and am loyal to the country i live in.. not blind loyalty though.

i dont even know the whole british national anthem lol

i remember they used to make us stand up whenever we heard the national anthem in school in india. then when i would hear it at home, I would feel compelled to stand at attention 😆

I owe allegiance and loyalty to the country of my citizenship, and am duty bound to uphold its constitution. I have a sense of gratitude to this country where I as an adult learned to stand on my own two feet.

At the same time I share bonds of love with the country of my birth. I will always share that bond of respect, honor, gratitude for all that I gained and received, all my memories, and experiences of growing up.

If there ever be a conflict of interest between my country of citizenship and my country of birth, I don't know what I would do. Move to Switzerland maybe.  But if I feel either country is taking a stance that I feel is morally wrong or against general global interest and welfare - then I will stand for what I feel is right and against what I feel is wrong.

i remember they used to make us stand up whenever we heard the national anthem in school in india. then when i would hear it at home, I would feel compelled to stand at attention 😆

God Shave the Queen or something like that right? 😛

neither do i.. they need to get rid of the monarchy.
xobile thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I owe allegiance and loyalty to the country of my citizenship, and am duty bound to uphold its constitution. I have a sense of gratitude to this country where I as an adult learned to stand on my own two feet.

At the same time I share bonds of love with the country of my birth. I will always share that bond of respect, honor, gratitude for all that I gained and received, all my memories, and experiences of growing up.

If there ever be a conflict of interest between my country of citizenship and my country of birth, I don't know what I would do. Move to Switzerland maybe.  But if I feel either country is taking a stance that I feel is morally wrong or against general global interest and welfare - then I will stand for what I feel is right and against what I feel is wrong.

Yeah, it's strange that even though I was born and mostly brought up in India I do feel a certaing allegiance to Britain too. I guess it's coz I pay home fees and not intenational student fees 😆