Indradhanush thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
It was a rare sight, as we got to listen to Ghulam Ali .
 In the cacophony going on they came as breath of fresh air.
The two ghazzals churned out by the duo were

ye dil ye pagal dil mera (raag bhairavi all over)
hungama hai kyu barpa (raag darbari)

It was interesting to see Ghulam sahab going for lower scale than the song is in, do not know if it was because of his age or Ranjit singing together.

Ghulam sahab is still the king of ghazals as he demonstrated his pakad over several facets of classical singing in hardly a 5 minute performance.

Ranjit was fine but paled out in comparison ...(no offence meant please)

Ghulam Ali is very humble , once in the house of Ustaad Zakir Hussain's house in London while celebrating new year eve, Mehandi Hassan (who was drunk) came across Ghulam Ali and directly challenged him over pakad of sur taal etc. Ghulam sahab bowed out saying he is nothing compared to Mehandi ..! We know the truth of course..!

This story is mentioned in Journey with thousand strings.

All the best to Ranjit, hope he will keep art of ghazal singing alive.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Ranjeet of course has a long way to go plus his voice change has been a major hindrance. He was best during the earlier competition stages. Hope to see more of him.
Gulam Sahab is a maestro.
Edited by Summer3 - 13 years ago
surmai_shaam thumbnail

Was nice to see a dream being fulfilled. I liked Ranjit the way he expressed his dream coming true. That art is so much necessary to succeed in this industry and he has that inbuilt in him.

I thought the open stadium was not the best of atmosphere for gazal gayaki. It would have been better if they had invited Ghulam Ali before and both performed in the regular studios. But overall, I enjoyed their singing.