Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Omshanti1111 thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Originally posted by: prernazz

In fact have seen a couple of Bengali movies of Raima, though not as good as SS she still is a very good actor. Riya had chosen the glam-doll image and Raima chose serious cinema. She also appeared in Godmother with Shabana Azmi, she was excellent in that movie. Godmother, incidentally was the debut of Sharman Joshi.

SS appeared in bengali movies mostly her foray in Hindi movies was Bambai ka Babu opposite Dev Anand. Mamta opposite Ashok Kumar and Aandhi opposite Sanjeev. She quit movies when the first rumor linked her to co-star of many films - Utam Kumar. She has not been seen in public ever since.

Moon Moon was married into a royal family and she chose to appear in films in glamor roles. Her stint in movies was not very successful.

Suchitra Sen was always linked to Uttam Kumar, but, that was not the reason for her to quit films. Supriya Chaudhuri was Uttam Kumar's mistress or second wife. In one of her last Bengali films, Fariyad, where Utpal Dutt was the villain, her age was coming to prominence and she wnated to remembered not as an aged actress, very much the same what Vaijayantimala did, but she wanted people to remember her golden times. Vaijayantimala also did not want to act mothers to those heroes for whom she once played heroines.

She resorted to a very religious life, and is a life member of Ram Krishna Mission. She visits Dakshineswar Kali temple often and spends most of her time doing puja. She had a very bad married life and it was her husband who forced her into films.

Moon Moon Sen was married to Tripura royal family, the Roy Burmans. But both Riya and Raima stick to Sen surnames. In bengal it is said that "Moon Moon Sen is Suchitra Sen's Kalank"...
Didn't know abt her personal life much, esp the part abt her husband. Or what she dis after retiring from films. thanks for telling me.

Have known that Moon moon was known as her kalank. I think SS appreciated Raima in ChokerBali, if I'm not mistaken
Omshanti1111 thumbnail

Didn't know abt her personal life much, esp the part abt her husband. Or what she dis after retiring from films. thanks for telling me.

Have known that Moon moon was known as her kalank. I think SS appreciated Raima in ChokerBali, if I'm not mistaken

Suchitra Sen loves her granddaughters like anything, actually she has noone other than them. But frankly, no news is authentic, as Suchitra Sen never says anything directly and all are heard via a third person. I am sure, she loves her daughter and granddaughter a lot..I am from bengal and to my mom and aunts, noone can ever match Suchitra Sen as a heroine, Uttam Kumar as hero  and Sandhya Mukherjee-Hemanta Mukherjee and Manna DeyπŸ˜ƒ
Actually I am big time fan of Hemant and Manna Dey myself. Don't think they got the recognition that they deserved in Bollywood. Suchitra and Uttam what few hindi movies I've seen of them are of course far ahead of their contemporaries in terms of understanding the subtle nuances. They were simply great.
Omshanti1111 thumbnail

Actually I am big time fan of Hemant and Manna Dey myself. Don't think they got the recognition that they deserved in Bollywood. Suchitra and Uttam what few hindi movies I've seen of them are of course far ahead of their contemporaries in terms of understanding the subtle nuances. They were simply great.

Uttam Kumar, I feel, never was meant for Hindi pictures. His pictures are so great, that even after 30 years of his death, people watch his movies. I watch his movies on you tube...If you like his movies, do watch "Agniswar", its based on a great novel., its just awesome.

Hemanta-Manna are two great singers...I feel very few are so well trained and has a smooth voice like Manna Dey..😊