Bidaai for Bidaai a seasonal break?:Mod's note PG5

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Bidaai for Bidaai seasonal break?

-A +A
Font
ALChougule Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 2000 hrs IST
PrintEmailNewsletterRSS
Bidaai has ended–– the last episode was telecast on Saturday - at a time when just three weeks ago it was the number one GEC show with 5.90 TVRBidaai has ended–– the last episode was telecast on Saturday - at a time when just three weeks ago it was the number one GEC show with 5.90 TVR.
It is for the first time ever in the history of Indian television that a successful serial is going off-air. The last episode of Bidaai was aired on November 13.
Going by the standards of normal storytelling, three years is a long time in the life of a daily soap. But considering that Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Kahani Ghar Ghar Kii and Kasauti Zindagi Ki ran much longer and died a natural death at the end of their extended lifespan, three years appear a short span. However, Bidaai has ended–– the last episode was telecast on Saturday - at a time when just three weeks ago it was the number one GEC show with 5.90 TVR (TAM data, week 43 - October 17 to 23) while its competitor Pavitra Rishta was at number seven slot with 4.61 TVR. The following week, while Bidaai was down to the third position with 5.15 TVR, Pavitra Rishta ranked number eight with 4.4 TVR. Pavitra Rishta has been Bidaai's toughest competitor this year, but the latter has been a slot leader at 9 pm for the longest period. That's not all. It started with 4.6 in TVR in October 2007 and was the first show to beat Kyunki... to the number one position in its early days. It recorded its highest ratings of 9.6 in January 2009. Since then it's been a consistent performer. In the past one year it's been through a few ups and downs but has been among the top five or ten shows. Given such performance, no channel would probably take the risk of shutting a show that delivered about four to five per cent audience share at prime-time. Yet Star Plus which had earlier put audience's patience under severe test by allowing Kyunki..., Kahani... and Kasauti... to go on aimlessly with laughable gimmicks, has brought the curtains down on Bidaai, which has been the channel's rock star. In fact, when the audience was running away from 'K' shows, Bidaai and later Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai were Star's strongest properties. What's more, when Colors was stealing the thunder from Star with Balika Vadhu, Uttaran and Laado, Bidaai kept the flag flying high and even helped create a fertile slot for the launch of Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai. Incidentally, director Rajan Shahi, who set up a few successful shows on rival channels, turned producer with Bidaai. It was also senior creative director Vivek Bahl's first show for Star Plus after he was brought from Zee to clear the mess created by the 'K' shows. Bidaai was a result of creative collaboration between Vivek and Rajan. The duo gave another hit in Yeh Rishta... and created a strong time-band for Star Plus between 9 and 10 pm. The question everyone is asking is why Star Plus has retired a strong player. Has it run its course? "Yes, the show has run its course, and both, the channel and the producer, didn't feel the need to stretch the story," says Vivek. He admits that shutting the show was a difficult call to take. "But we didn't want to end the show once the number started falling. Bidaai has been a top show, and deserves to go like a top show," he adds. For Rajan it was even more tough to end the show. "It was my first show as producer and it's been three years of emotional journey with it. But the decision was mutual. We wanted to end it on a high note. " he elaborates. Apparently, the decision to end the show was first thought of about six months ago. Ratings were coming down and something needed to be done urgently to infuse life into the show. Star Plus checked with the producer whether the story had enough meat to continue for some time. That's how Sadhna's death and a generation leap came into the picture. Ratings picked up once again but when the show was not given an extension before it completed three years it was almost certain that Bidaai was on its way out. However, the option of giving it another slot was also explored. Shifting it to the afternoon band was deliberated upon.

But Vivek denies that a re-slotting option was ever considered. "Bidaai has been a top show, and it wouldn't befit the status of the show to move it to any other slot after its stellar run," he clarifies. Rajan is also of the view that shifting a prime-time show to non-prime-time would have been a clear demotion. Bidaai has gone off-air but well-placed sources tell us that the show is likely to come for second season after a break. Vivek refuses to comment whether the show will have a second season but Rajan admits that indeed there will be a second season for Bidaai. "I have been asked to work on it but it's too early to share any details because I am yet to start," he adds. But the question is, if the show has ended because, as Vivek says, the story got over, then why is the channel planning a second season?

@screenindia.com

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
Wow. So they wanted to end it 6 months ago.
MagixX thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Well, I don't think the story ended on a high note. Well yeah, it was a happy ending, but the ending was far from satisfactory. I don't think anyone can say that by the end, the serial was complete. No, it wasn't.
If the leap wouldn't have happened, then yeah, I think there was a certain ending to the serial. But since there was a leap, many questions were left unanswered - Why didn't Ragini or anybody else apart from Anmol, Mamaji and Ranveer himself get to know the real reason behind Ranveer's death? How would the whole family react if they would have known? Especially Ragini? Would she still accept Anmol, or no?

& turning this Shivani girl into a gold digger was absolutely funny. If she was only a gold digger, why did she decide to leave Anmol when his family died? Anmol was just as rich, wasn't he? It was a big joke..

Ragini or the family never gotta know about Anmol's past either - which is a big shame !!!
And we never gotta see some glimpses of what happened between AnGini in the last 6 years either..They should have at least shown how they got married, and how Anmol became so deeply attached to Ragini, kids and the rest of the family.

Next up is AlekShi..What will happen to their relationship? At the end, Aalekh is shown to be dancing with Sakshi implying they all are very happy, but really? Their relationship has love? Or is it only mercy? 
Is Aalekh even normal? He did look to be, but how on earth did he become normal? Shlok didn't do his work..Then how ??????

And now they say, there wasn't any story. After the leap was introduced, Bidaai did well until they decided to introduce a LOT of negativity through Sakshi. Why did they have to butcher her character so much? Especially after RS realized that negativity doesn't work? 
Naturally, Bidaai wouldn't get any good TRPs. 
I agree that K soaps had a lot of negativity, but still they fetched TRPs b'coz during those days, they didn't have a competition. The only competition they had was from JJKN..That's just one serial. Unlike now, where there are many serials competing for TRPs..Some shows have brilliant concepts too..
They could have made Sakshi grey, but making her evil was completely stupid. So naturally, TRPs would fall. I think that part of the serial didn't work..They could have handled it better, b'coz many were certainly interested in the Sakshi angle..
Edited by Ashrozia - 13 years ago
MagixX thumbnail
Originally posted by: chocolover89

Wow. So they wanted to end it 6 months ago.

Yeah, that was after the rift track I guess. That completely butchered the serial, lol...🤣
Can I say that I am happy that it did? 😆
gilmores thumbnail
Originally posted by: Ashrozia

Yeah, that was after the rift track I guess. That completely butchered the serial, lol...🤣
Can I say that I am happy that it did? 😆

Do you mind if I say I wish they had ended it? 😆 Because I do..and you know why 😆
MagixX thumbnail
Originally posted by: chocolover89

Do you mind if I say I wish they had ended it? 😆 Because I do..and you know why 😆

Yes, I must say..They should have ended it with the foursome having kids. The leap would have made a lot of sense if the serial would have been given extension.
They decided to introduce negativity, and the leap didn't work. Well, good for them.

gilmores thumbnail
Originally posted by: Ashrozia

Yes, I must say..They should have ended it with the foursome having kids. The leap would have made a lot of sense if the serial would have been given extension.
They decided to introduce negativity, and the leap didn't work. Well, good for them.

Yes..happy ending with them. No pathetic ends for the 2 jodis.

The problem the leap ran into was Sakshi drama was stretched like a rubber band.

I think season 2 will probably be back though. I don't know at what time, but I think it will. Now I have no idea what season 2 will be about.
shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
There is still lots of unanswered questions and Ragini needs to know how exactly Ranveer died ..

Shivini a gold digger 😆 seriously they could have thought of just making her shown she left for  her modleling and then walked out of Anmol's life
Anmol is so rich himself
thats why i said in one iof my posts that shivani walimg out of anmol's life to have  her carrer and then come back to get him since he is  still rich then why did she leave him
But the time she left him he had ,lost everything'and i think he met ranveer when he was all time low and then he wanted a family and so ranveer gave  his life up and  asked Anmol to look after his family

I feel that they should have also shown a bit of that  6 years where he was handling  the  family responsibility  some like flash backs

If they can get Anmol and Shivani;'s flash back then its a piece of cake to get  between the time Anmol entered the house and the present senario..

If they start season two it should  work from where they left which makes more sense and then after a year  show  some futuristic pictures
MagixX thumbnail
@Himzzy:- Yeah, exactly. The Sakshi angle could have been a LOT more interesting if Sakshi was shown to be grey, and not evil. You know, I like the concept where 2 people end up marrying for all wrong reasons, and later start falling in love (for the right reasons 😆). That could have been a LOT more better seriously, but then, they decided to turn it into something else, which was ridiculous ! Edited by Ashrozia - 13 years ago
gilmores thumbnail
^Many things could have been a lot better 😆