DOTW *South Indian Films and Bollywood*

muffins2waffles thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

Hi guys!

I'm here with the DOTW for this week. I hope you find it interesting. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

This thought has been wandering my mind for some time.

As you all know, everyone in India watches Bollywood, but usually only South Indian people watch South Indian films.

Obviously a South film is different in the sense that there's much more violence, loads of rowdies running around streets with huge knives๐Ÿ˜†, and I don't know, just South masala. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Do you think that South movies should take the influence of Bollywood (which is quickly becoming famous world wide) or do you think that they are perfect just the way they are?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sand14 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Nice topic Aish!

Personally, I feel that they are just as good as they are, probably just need more publicity.

Hindi definitely has a wider reach than South languages. So alot of ppl watch Bollywood stuff.

Each industry has it own flavor to attract a certain type of audience, they shouldnt be compromised totally just to reach out to more audience. They can cut down the cliched masala stuff a lil and come up with more innovative stuff, probably. Many south movies are now reaching out to international markets and doing great business there, so I dun think there's a need to copy the Bollywood style.
Edited by khpriya - 13 years ago
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
ohh interesting.. The southiee thing makes them different u see and there are alot of people from the north side too who watch these movies.. including me well im nt from india.. even then i watch these movies.. They are good as bollywood i would say better in some instances.. they dnt have to change for bollywood.. Bollywood does its own thing.. but one thing i've observed is that the actors here down south are far more talented than Bollywood actors plus the movies in south if u dnt count the mass masala films they have a realistic story always.. tho i like maas masala films too and ofcourse if there is nothing like appadi podu in the movie.. the movie doesnt work for me..๐Ÿ˜†.. I love south ki movies so let them be as they are.. no change venum..
..Naina.. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Hmm this is a great topic!

I would say that personally, as much as I have my moments where I hate the violence and everything in South Indian films, I can't really imagine it any other way. Just the general style of these films is different, which makes them more appealing to me regardless.

Yes, the Bollywood movies have the cuter more subtle storylines, but I personally feel that that wouldn't even suit the Southern Industry as much except for a few exceptions.

But to each his own I guess, and for me, South Indian films are pretty much perfect the way they are, different, masala, fighting, romance,  we got the package deal! ๐Ÿ˜†
Loved all your answers guys!

I love South movies. They're pretty much the only ones I watch.
x.sunayna.x thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Great topic, well Im half north and half south, so i get a bit of both! Prefer south films from any language to bollywood films any day ! :) And i was actually thinking about this on the bus today ! Comparing some recent tamil movies to hindi movies, i had Naan mahan alla in mind! The part where the bad guys chop the guy up and put him in the box ! I freaked the first time i saw it even though it wasn't actually that bad ! But i definitely think that South movies should stay the way they are! I've been put off Hindi movies because half of them are set overseas and have nothing to do with India - they even speak english half the time !
Edited by x.sunayna.x - 13 years ago
^ I know! When I'm watching Bolly films, I feel like I'm watching Holly films. LOL
Caryn thumbnail
Good topic.

I watch both South & Bolly movies but more on South.  Lately, I see that South movies are improving.  Some movies acted by 2nd class actors/actresses are simply superb as compared to movies by Rajni/Kamal. 

Agani Theru, Madraspatinam, are some of the few new movies which impressed me very much.  Well created story line, and a good acting skills to get across to the viewers.

At the same time, I used to think, can South produce movies like Khabie Gushi Khabi Gam.  I mean in terms of music and in terms of 3 famous actors and actresses acting in a same movie with all of them getting equal time.

I would like to see now that Ajith, Vijay & suriya famous to join and do something like this.  Can this happen?

What about 3 idiots?  Who will Vijay's (if he does this role) would be his sidekick? 
premeer thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Nice topic aishi.. agree with all the posts... I love both bollywood n south indian films... Both have their own uniqueness.. Can't expect to watch a south indian film without mass masala n bolywood with too much of it...  South indian films are definitely attracting bollwood ppl these.. a lot of films are being considered for remake which proves the worth of the films.. but there's the nativity factor which sometimes comes into picture.. sometimes the backdrop n all in which the story is set places a key role n in such cases when ppl can't relate to it.. it fails to entertain... But certainly after bollywood its the south indian industry which is the most popular in India..
Edited by premeer4rever - 13 years ago
Nihariikaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Nice topic Aish.

Actually
What i think is  All the southindian Actors (tollywood) mostly follows after thier Mass images after giving some hits.

And moreover its the trend thats been following in south films. its starts with one actor and keeps continuing with rest of them.
i remember the three straight movies of BK on factionism, then Chiru, NTR.

and then again it moved to Mafia.....starting with jagadam, pokiri, kantri, adhurs. (Loved all the mafia movies btw)๐Ÿ˜†

movies like NVNV, Happydays, Kotha BL, Bommarillu......movies based on lovestories do get a big hit but sadly cant make it Records of BO.
People just love watching Mar Dhad Masala๐Ÿ˜†, and they keep making it......
and to say now even Bollywood is getting influenced by our South Indian Masala๐Ÿ˜†, Gajini, wanted,....and even heard that SRK too wants to do something similar movie with director of Gajini.

But i watch both of them...๐Ÿ˜† for now i like it how they are.