Kashmir-Where do we go from here?

Indradhanush thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago

For years, freedom movement in Ksshmir was supported by Pakistan, but what is happening now in the Valley has nothing to do with cross-border incursions by jihadi militants.

The ongoing protest movement is spearheaded by teenagers armed with nothing except stones (like Palestinians) . Indian forces resorting to force has resulted in several deaths.

The problem for Indian government is that this movement shows no signs of flagging.

If these protests have placed New Delhi in a quandary, they have also marginalised Islamabad. Suddenly, shadowy spooks and Islamic militant groups in Pakistan and Azad Kashmir find themselves sidelined by an amorphous, popular uprising that has no time for home-grown or Pakistani terrorists

While Palestine is viewed as Israeli-occupied territory, Kashmir is considered an integral part of India. Another factor is that India is seen as a reasonable, humane country. As home to Mahatma Gandhi, most people in the West have been influenced by India's hugely successful projection of its soft power. So much so that people are often blind to its use of hard power.

But now, with several Kashmiri youth dying in the hand of Indian security forces, the issue is knocking door of New Delhi, where do we go from here..!

The only solution I see now is in dialogue with Pak to chart out a plan for greater autonomy of Kashmir, any thing else in sight..?

Some nuggets from DAWN

Here is fresh trouble in pics

Edited by Indradhanush - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Indradhanush thumbnail
[quote=chal phek mat]Actually if you ask most Indians they dont have a clue why the riots or the unrest is occurring in India and be honest if you even had a clue before you read the rest of the post[/quote]

I have fairly good idea of what is going on.

The newspapers you have quoted do report of kashmir trouble on front page from time to time but they do report other non sense things as well this is why we call ToI, Toilet and The Hindu=Chindu etc etc.

But you didn't answer what to do now.

chal_phek_mat thumbnail

Originally posted by: Indradhanush

[quote=chal phek mat]Actually if you ask most Indians they dont have a clue why the riots or the unrest is occurring in India and be honest if you even had a clue before you read the rest of the post[/quote]

I have fairly good idea of what is going on.

The newspapers you have quoted do report of kashmir trouble on front page from time to time but they do report other non sense things as well this is why we call ToI, Toilet and The Hindu=Chindu etc etc.

But you didn't answer what to do now.

Given the fact that they are rioting because someone was going to burn the koran but didnt

I would say build a mental health institution in every square and give each of these rioters a labotomy
Indradhanush thumbnail
Hmmm CPM...

If my understanding is correct the situation is very grave
dramebaaz thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
kashmiris who want azaadeeee should be given freedom to go to porkistan or Pak occuppied kashmir asap...trouble causing kashmiris go back to pakistan...these stone pelting kashmiri youths(my foot) are nothing but violent islamic fascists and wannabe porkistanis..

Latest protests were not about Azaaadeeee but about the Quran burning. People still showed up in force. This is nothing but muscle flexing by the worthies (Geeeeelaaaaniii) to demonstrate that they can bring people out on the streets whenever they want, for whatever issue they want.

mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
lets go to albert pinto's house to ask him why he's so angry.
MagicalKash thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
We dont clearly know why these teenagers are behaving this way.So its not correct to just blame them.Furthermore,they must have huge resentment for resorting to this high degree of violence.Yesterday only I saw a pic in newspaper in which on the roads leading to Kashmir teenagers had scribbled "India! Go back!"
I feel its  more important  to hold talk with these teenagers and understand their situation than going for a dialogue with Pakistan coz politicians will have their own selfish needs but I am sure the teenagers are not just driven by that.
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Indradhanush

The only solution I see now is in dialogue with Pak to chart out a plan for greater autonomy of Kashmir, any thing else in sight..?

Dialogue with Pak? Not at all, that would be like rewarding Pak for its anti-India terror campaign.

First of all the problem is ONLY with Kashmir Valley which is a tiny part of Jammu & Kashmir state. It is not as if entire state is in flames. Jammu & Ladakh are peaceful and have no so called "azaadi" dreams.

We must make one thing clear to "separatists" that the integrity of Indian state is NON negotiable, azaadi wazaadi ke baare mein bhool jaao. We must then deal firmly with the people who are inciting trouble in the valley. Humein bilkul bhi nahi dagmagana chahiye apne resolve se, ek inch bhi nahi dena chahiye. At the same time we must encourage parties and people who are with us.
Chiinnu thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
the pictures are so expressive.
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: SolidSnake

Dialogue with Pak? Not at all, that would be like rewarding Pak for its anti-India terror campaign.

First of all the problem is ONLY with Kashmir Valley which is a tiny part of Jammu & Kashmir state. It is not as if entire state is in flames. Jammu & Ladakh are peaceful and have no so called "azaadi" dreams.

We must make one thing clear to "separatists" that the integrity of Indian state is NON negotiable, azaadi wazaadi ke baare mein bhool jaao. We must then deal firmly with the people who are inciting trouble in the valley. Humein bilkul bhi nahi dagmagana chahiye apne resolve se, ek inch bhi nahi dena chahiye. At the same time we must encourage parties and people who are with us.

Agreed. I actually had the chance to go to Jammu and Katra-these places are not dangerous AT ALL! That's probably because of the high Hindu population who still wish to be a part of India. The only problem is the airport securities, for God's sake you can't even go inside the damn airport until 45mins before you fly. I guess if it helps Jammu and Kashmir be a safer place, then i'm not complaining. :) SS is correct when he says the ONLY problem is the kashmir valley, that's it really. I stayed in jammu/katra for about a week and never had any security fears at all! I wish people who are hell bent on making jammu&kashmir an independent state realise that there are more than just a few thousand people who do NOT support their cause. 😡