10 Most expected Malayalam film sequels 2010-2011 (Special Feature)
by Khan M Jahangir
Malayalam film industry tried different things but nothing gives it the punch that the industry really expecting from the box-office. 2010 is not a good year for 'Moallywood' as it precipitated only 6 quality hits in 7 months, namely 'PokkiriRaja', 'In Ghost House Inn', 'Kadha Thudarunnu', 'Happy Husbands', 'Mummy & Me' and 'Paapy Appacha'. But many good movies are yet to hit the cinema halls.
The trend is actually changing from one to another. The latest and the most effective among the trends is making of the sequels to the earlier block-busters. Lal (Sidhique-Lal) successfully made two sequels to the original 'In Harihar Nagar' in successive years and this is the new trend in the Mollywood. Yes, more than half a dozen movies are going to hit our screens in the next 12 months, which are sequels of old block-busters.
1. The King & the Commissioner After 15 years, the hit making pair Shaji Kailas and Renji Paniker combines once again to combine two of their powerful characters, Thevallyparambil Joseph Alex and the Commissioner. Mammootty will do the famous IAS officer's role and for a change, Prithviraj will wear the Police uniform. The movie will hit the screens in 2011 Vishu.
2. Mathilukalkkappuram 'Mathilukalkkappuram' is a sequel of Mathilukal-the movie of Adoor, based on Basheer's novel. Nayanthara and Mammootty will be the leads in the debuting director Prasad's movie. The movie is based on the imaginary relationship of Basheer and his unseen beloved Narayani. Mammootty's company will produce this movie.
3. Sethurama Iyer – Chapter 5 Another record for Mammootty. The 5th part of the greatest ever hit of Malayalam film industry. The same team consisting of K. Madhu and SN Swamy is coming with yet another crime and investigation thriller.
4. Naaduvaazhigal – Prithviraj style Like 'Neelathamara', the Mohanlal – Joshy team's Naaduvazhigal is going to re-make with changes according to the age. Prithviraj is doing the role of Arjun. Shaji Kailas will take the shots while SN Swamy will write for the screen.
5. Perumal from the movie 'August 1' This one cannot be denoted as a sequel, but the character from the hit movie August 1, Perumal – the crime branch officer [Mammootty] has been adapted to a new interesting crime investigation story. Shaji Kailas will handle the job of Sibi Malayil in the new movie. The shooting is planned to commence in September.
6. Kasargode Kadher Bhai… Again The all time comedy hit of 'Mollywood', Kasargode Kadherbhai is hitting back. Babu Antony and Manoj K. Jayan will do the central characters while all the important mimicry artists too will act in the movie with Jagadeesh, Suraj, Innocent, Asokan and Salim Kumar. The movie depicts the incidents after the prison break of Kaderbhai's son Kasimbhai. Thulasidhas and Kaloor Dennis team will create the sequel.
7. 'Malappuram Haji Mahanaya Joji' …. No its 'Malappuram Joji Mahanaya Haji' The superhit movie of Thulasidhas – Rajan Kiriyath team's Malappuram Haji Mahanaya Joji' finding its sequel called 'Malappuram Joji Mahanaya Haji'. The director said almost all the stars of the original will be casted in the sequel too.
8. Ninishtam Ennishtam 2 Alleppy Ashraf directs the second part of the Mohanlal movie Ninnishtam Ennishtam. Suresh Nair (Neelathamara) is the hero in the movie. The shooting of the is completed and this is releasing in the Onam season of 2010.
9. Mookilla Rajyathu Without Thilakan, the director Thaha is planning a sequel for the comedy hit Mookkilla Rajyathu. Mukesh, Sidhique, Jagathy and Jagadeesh will be there in the lead roles with a bunch of new faces.
10. Kandahar The character of Mohanlal in the movie 'Keerthichakra' and 'Kurukshethra', Major Mahadevan will be seen in Major Ravi's Kandahar'. Even if the movie is original, we can see the same Major in the movie.