CHAT TRANSCRIPT OF SALIM MERCHANT

rths thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Transcript of Live Chat with Salim Merchant, Music Composer & Indian Idol 5 Judge, on Wednesday 28 th July at 2 PM.

We will definitely miss Shivam and looking forward to working with him...

Salim Merchant
Music Composer & Indian Idol 5 Judge

Cool > who's ur personal fav in indian idol?
Salim Merchant > hey guys this is salim....i'm here

Enchantingharmony > Hi Saleem................. Hats off to You, Anu Malik & Sunidhi to select such wonderful Singers.............. Indian Idol makes mee destressed from all my in happenings of life.........All coz of U guys.......... Wanna U to sing any one of Your Fav song from ur Collection as I love ur collection ............ Its a Request .......
Salim Merchant > yo enchaanting....we can keep chanting

Titli > I was reading through the background of all the contestants and noticed that some of them already did playback in movies even before participating in Indian Idol. As a judge, do you ever feel that such contests should be opened to only those who have never been exposed to playback singing before?
Salim Merchant > no titli....i think nybody and everybody should participate coz the world should see how good our singers are....

Savi > hi salim hru --- i m big fan of you . your smile is so qute aap ki najar me sabse achha gayak koun hai salim ji
Salim Merchant > its not fair to name just one....but if you guess I may say yes

kannan > Salim Sir, It was really shocking to see Shivam the Cute Jerry Mouse out of Indian Idol 5.your comments please.
Salim Merchant > unfortunately the competition works on voting...we miss him too...

Titli > I wanted to also mention to you that I like all your compositions...great work! Congrats to both you and your brother.
Salim Merchant > thANK U TITLI...

Sazzad > Hi Salim Sir I,m a BIG Fan of Yours......What's ur upcomming music nd in which movie
Salim Merchant > band baja baarat....it is a yashraj film....

Allen > when r u doing somethings for our bldg. yashodhan....maybe teach music to the youngsters & kids...
Salim Merchant > thanks allen i don't live in yashodhn anymore...but i have fond memories...and hopefully willl do something..

Usha > Hey Salim! What do you look for particularly when you're listening to new upcoming singers and deciding whether to cast them or not? What unique qualities stand out to you?
Salim Merchant > email me on [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

Seema > hi salim sir how r u,i like your personality very simple and sweet,i m fan of u,can i know your cast u believe in agakhan? i m also believe in agakhan i m sia ismaili,i pray that every time u get success in your life,bye
Salim Merchant > thank u very much... i am an ismailli as well

Faraah > Slms, I hope you are well. Well done on all your achievements... I love your music, but most of all I love your Honesty when commenting about the performances. I notice that you give credit where it's due and that's a good thing. I am considering doing research on Music and Music directors I was hoping that you could assist me in some way.
Salim Merchant > yeah i am still learning...and one day i will be competent to assit u :)

Jp > Sir! Afetr seeing yesterdays episode i feel that Judges should have used their VITO power for SHIVAM....as he is a potential competeter for SREERAM....The show would have been more interesting and exciting ROmaanchak till the end. He having been eliminated i think knowing who the winner has become like an open secret...
Salim Merchant > the vito is already gone...so can't do much abt it

Honey > hai what is the secret of your ever green smile
Salim Merchant > love in my heart :)

PG, Dubai > At one stage you have composed title song for FIFA world cup and have Shakira singing for you and on another stage you are judging talented but yet amateur singers on Indian Idol...how do adjust your range between these two
Salim Merchant > i think... its good to do all kinds of things...i also play cricket and xbox sometimes....

Usadesigal93 > Hi Salim Sir! My name is Shradha :) I live in the United States, and I must say, I truly adore your contributions in the Hindi Music Industry! Hats off to all of your compositions! When I first saw the promo for Indian Idol 5, I was very excited to hear that you and Sunidhi Mam were joining Anu Sir in the judging panel! I've been following every season of Indian Idol, and season 5 is most definitely one of my top favorite seasons... Though I may not be able to sing as well as the top 4, every person on Indian Idol is inspirational to each and every individual watching the show, including me. I was just wondering if you had a personal motto, a mission statement, that you follow every day that keeps you alive and ready to overcome obstacles each and every day? Well I wish you all the best for the future and I request you to please send my regards to the Top 4 contestants. :)
Salim Merchant > change is the only constant is my motto...

Lohit > do u think the script of Indian Idol is easy 2 predict.....becoz..people r well versed nw with the things happng onscreen & off-screen.
Salim Merchant > really? pls tell me whts happening nxt on indian idol....

Jyo > hello Salim .....wanna u to sing Ali Maula from kurbaan in Indian Idol
Salim Merchant > hopefully...pray..

Pooja Patel > Hey Salim its me pooja again Yesterday was an emotional day for me after watching shivam get eliminated though I did hear that you are going to help him out or something somehow is that true and also is ther a wild card entry because I swear Shivam's elimination took away my faith from indian idol
Salim Merchant > we definitely miss Shivam and looking forward to working with him...

Raj_Kitty > Hi Salim sir, Hope you are doing great... What is the telugu movie for which you are going to compose music?
Salim Merchant > it is untitled at the moment...

Dev > i want to tell u that u all are best judge but why u give public voting system
Salim Merchant > thats the format of the show dev..

DKG > When there are three Singing legend sitting there at the INDIAN IDOL why you need Public Poll, Becos we are loosing so many good singer like Shasi, Naushad and Shivam specially Shasi who deserved to be in TOP 5 ...becos of Public Voting we are losing good singer or there should be a system of 50% Public Voting and 50 % decision by judge...what do u think sir...
Salim Merchant > unfortunately the show works on voting.. we do feel the loss as well... but finally people decide and thats we call it desh ki awaaz...

Joel S Mark > just wanna ask u a question- When u compose a song u first pick up a scale, then jot down the notations? or u compose a harmony and find the scale by ur And chords to it?
Salim Merchant > i try to capture a feeling first...if its a love song, then a feeling of love..

Sagarika > Salim ke sath chat ke liya bulaya tha na? n no answer. i had so many serious questions to ask him n i wa under the impression that he is one of the most genuine guy to answer. looks like there wont be any chat.
Salim Merchant > i am all urs sagarika...

Arpit > I have watched each and every episode of the indian idol including the one in which you sang the song 'ae khuda' with a participator. I would be fascinated if you sing this song once again in the "INDIANI IDOL".
Salim Merchant > i will try my best...

Priyanka > r u satisfied wid yesterdays result?
Salim Merchant > no i am not...

Niraj > Salim ji,do you agree that Hindi Film Music is hitting an all-time low since 2008.The quality of compositions is getting worse except for compositions by you, Sajid-Wajid & Himesh Reshammiya(who unfortunately only composes for himself).Pritam and Vishal-Shekhar music is very inconsistent and Shankar Ehsaan Loy out of form and A.R.Rahman though has won the Oscar,his music is not any more what it was in the 90s and the early 2000s
Salim Merchant > i don't think what ur saying is right... I think vishal-shekhar have excelled in i hate love stories... bin tere is a good song and so is jab mila tu... and pritam was fab in love aaj kal...

Pakhi > What would be ur advice for upcoming singers???
Salim Merchant > try an find ur own voice....don't sing like anyone else...

Salim Merchant > honesty is what i like in singers...

Pneet > Hi Salim, how has been Indian Idol as judging experience and comments on talent on the show?
Salim Merchant > i think the talent in Indian idol this year is the best so far....

Naveen > Who selects songs for the contestants
Salim Merchant > the sony team selects the songs for the contestants...

Cashish > who is ur favorite guitarist.. is it Jim Satya..?????
Salim Merchant > Jim satya is a keyboardist... he does play guitar... but primarily keyboard... can't pick one fav guitarist...have a few...kalyan barua, sanjay diwecha...

Mdithegr8 > are you going to start an acting career??
Salim Merchant > there are offers...haven't thought about it yet...

Mdithegr8 > Did you want to be in the music industry since childhood?
Salim Merchant > yes since childhood...

Mithilesh > Salim Sir, Just an offtrack question. I write songs and compose few of hem. I just wan to ask you one question: How much use of technology has influenced now a days songs? Why traditional instruments are missing...
Salim Merchant > i don't think they r missing... if u use tech with soul u can strike a good comb in tody's world...

Sruti > I don't know how much we see on the show---is rehearsed...I agree editing is importnat but don't you feel reality shows should reatin their essence---some reality and not scripts!
Salim Merchant > thr is no script shruti...

Ashguy77 > Why do all strong Indian singers want to be "Playback" singers? When will we cultivate a market for songs without movies?? Like here in the US? When will we have Grammys?
Salim Merchant > very soon...we 'r working towrds it...

vishaal15 > Who is UR idol in the hindi music industry ?
Salim Merchant > ustad zakir hussain...

Usha > Hey Salim! I love what you said about honesty being a singer's asset. But we're usually singing someone else's song, so is there a way to find out own voice and really shape it to be original and unique? How can we do it?
Salim Merchant > its important to find urself... and the music u like...and sing from ur heart.. somethings cannot be taught

Pakhi > Do u feel that mere honesty can make a person successful???What else is required to establish oneself in the music industry?
Salim Merchant > hard work..

Attiq R > who is ur fav. female actor?
Salim Merchant > priyanka chopra is my fav actor..

Sarada > Salim sir , wats ur birth date??
Salim Merchant > 3rd march..

Ai > Salim Sir, do u believe that learning singing at age of 20 years brings equal results to learning singing from tender age of 6-7 years? what does ur experience say?
Salim Merchant > i think...learning is a never ending process...theres no such time..

Knchan > HOW ABOUT YOUR BONDING WITH OTHER JUDGES ? WE HAVE SEEN MANY FIGHTS IN THE PAST FEW SEASONS THIS SEASON IS DIFFERENT OR IT SEEMS TO BE?
Salim Merchant > there is no need for fights.. a good vibe on the panel is more special..

Naheed > why Indian pop is declining?
Salim Merchant > because in India we don't have a music industry we have a film industry...

Uadesigal93 > Sir, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest), how much do you enjoy judging season 5 of Indian Idol?
Salim Merchant > 7.8 :) thanku

Sethasw > Do you think that both u & suleiman together compliment each other or both of u have individual qualities
Salim Merchant > hey its the same thing...we have individual qualities and therefore we compliment each other :)

Salim Merchant > thank you people it was great chatting with aall of you, we all feel saad becoz of shivam's elimination but hopefully we will work with him in future and bring his music his voice to all of you...love you all..salim... you can continue to interact with me on <http://indianidol.setindia.com> ..bye and take care

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sunidhifan4evr thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
thnks I woke up at 4:00 AM american time to say hi to him and I was so disappointed they only let me say one thing but oh well its up there
xobile thumbnail
Woooohooooo I have the same birthday as Salim Merchant and Shankar Mahadevan (3rd March) [:D/]
kichwamaji thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: xobile

Woooohooooo I have the same birthday as Salim Merchant and Shankar Mahadevan (3rd March) [:D/]

😆 You are too cute....
somone999 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I am glad that Salim continuously emphasized this fact that he will work with Shivam. Wish him all the best. Good answers. Thanks for sharing this rths. 
sunidhifan4evr thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: somone999

I am glad that Salim continuously emphasized this fact that he will work with Shivam. Wish him all the best. Good answers. Thanks for sharing this rths. 

I know shivam was the star of the show kinda of thing
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: rths

Honey > hai what is the secret of your ever green smile
Salim Merchant > love in my heart :)

Awwww, chooo chweeet! 😳 Hehe.

Thanks for sharing, Rths! :)

Edited by *Woh Ajnabee* - 13 years ago