The problem with Jyoti

Mulan08 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
I mean the problem with Jyoti as a show, not Jyoti as a character.  I have noticed several times that the makers of Jyoti are trying to please audience both ways, by being traditional as well as liberal in equal doses so that I find Jyoti to be very confused about her outlook on life.

I have seen Jyoti take several conflicting decisions.

Currently, she  is needlessly going on and on how her sasural is so very important to her. Surely she has tasted how sasural would be for a woman like her, who comes from a middle class family and has to adjust in a bigger, wealthier family?

After losing the baby I wonder why she did not go hammer and tongs after Pankaj? If nothing else he caused the premature birth and death of the child( from her point of view) and certainly pushed her to near death.

Shouldn't she think of holding whatever happiness she has very tightly and not just squander her last chance at marital bliss like she has? I do not know what she means by saying she does not want to separate a son from his family...hello..he never was living with them anyway!! He had already separated before she came into his life. Why does she have to pretend to be idealistic Bhartiya Nari whenever she gets the chance?

Edited by hinduengg - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SEPIDEHh thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Jyoti is really "The Queen of Masochism".She does'nt  have the talent of enjoying her life .she  send Kabir to some kind of trouble that  I cant imagine.I agree with you Hinduengg  when Kabir seperated from his family so times before he met Jyoti ,Is it necessary to send him to such mad house to get their marriage permission?
We have a proverb"A fool throw a stone in well and  100 wisemen can not  get the stone out of  it.It refers to someone who foolishly making troubles for others just like Jyoti who sent Kabir to Jodpour.I hope at the end  every thing will be alright .

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Hinduengg

You've put a finger on something so many of us have discussed so many times, w/o actually putting the finger on it.  I can't, for the life of me, make out what the message of this show is.  When it started, I thought it was about a girl who sacrificed/delayed her own marriage until her family was fully stable, and really enjoyed it.  That was spoilt first by Sushma-Brij, and then by Padma.  Then, when Jyoti married Pankaj, unlike others, I didn't like that match at all, since it meant Jyoti having to be a pillar for Pankaj, rather than having someone to lean on, as it is now w/ Kabir.

And then, the way they changed the character of so many characters  just confused us.  When Bhairavi first surfaced, and encouraged Uday to pursue his dream, she looked so adorable, and when she remarked on Sudha, who she had seen in the market, she looked like she'd be proud to have such an honest bahu.  But come Pankaj's marriage, and she instantly became  mean, before becoming fully vamp after her return.  Brij's character too - first it was nice, then it became evil when he married Sushma, then it became funny when he started blackmailing CM, and now, it's just unbelievable, when he's become a saint.  What's that all about?  Of course, Pankaj takes the cake - there was a time when he was empathy personified, like the time when he persuaded Uday about Sudha's innocence, and persuaded the Sharmas to let Sudha stay as his guest until they could accept her back.  The old Pankaj would have let go of Jyoti whenever she didn't want to be w/ him.  The current Pankaj is only too happy to rob her womb and leave her in hospital when he didn't get his way.

Also, when they showed the Diwali violence on Sushma before Jyoti removed her from Brij, they had that PSA about the battering of women.  How on earth do they reconcile that w/ the ending of Brij becoming a saint, and Sushma returning to him?  One of the problems faced by battered women is that they tend to believe their hubbies when they are told they have reformed, and return to them, only to resume the same vicious cycle.  The way Sushma's story was developing - her resuming school, her planning to give her son to a childless couple who couldn't have kids of their own - looked like a very positive prescription on how to deal w/ such a situation.  Instead, since the  godh bharai, the CVs totally perverted things by making Sarika disappear w/o explanation, and then slowly re-uniting Sushma w/ Brij, in what has to be one of the worst twists in TV history.

That's the problem - the CVs take potenital positives, and turn them around.  Sarika was one, and Ritu another.  While Ritu did the right thing telling Jyoti that a kid needs its father, she went overboard in telling her that she may have been selfish in not returning to him: what she could have suggested to Jyoti was joint custody w/ Pankaj.  Of course, now, that is moot.

The other thing they kept screwing up was Sudha.  When she was single, the only happy moments Sudha ever had was when she was Devika, and later, whenever she was in Uday's company.  Yet, after Jyoti was kicked out, the only happy moments she seemed to have was @ her maayka, where Padma still didn't stop creating trouble for her, whether it was embarrassing her into lending Sushma her jewelry, lending money for Sushma's treatment, lending the car, etc.  This is unbelievable.  Any girl in Sudha's position would have been unhappy about Jyoti's plight, but otherwise happy, and definitely not going to Deepu for company.  And the final condition that she not have babies until Jyoti's baby gets the Vashist name?  So will she endorse what Pankaj did - little Roshni does get the Vashist name as a result of that.

In all the above cases, looks like the CVs have a very poor memory of what happened in the past, or else, this wouldn't be happening.  CM doesn't bother to remind Pankaj that he signed away his rights to the baby, which clearly stated that even if he finds out that the baby is his, he cannot claim it. At any rate, this bad memory of events only helps in serving a very muddled message, if there's one @ all.

I agree w/ SEPIDEHh as well - Jyoti, w/o knowing about Kabir's family, has to send him to persuade them, and is worried when he doesn't call her back.  Had she, in all these months of knowing him, gotten to know more about his family and their profiles, she'd have known what to expect, instead of behaving like a love-sick puppy.  This is a situation where all her loads are now off - her baby is lost (actually w/ Pankaj), her family is completely  supported by Deepu, Sushma & Munna is back w/ Brij, Sudha & Uday are now honeymooning wherever, only thing she has to do is remove herself from her family so that Poonam & Padma don't resent her being a burden on Deepu.  And yet, she's really close to sabotaging even that.

I really hope that after she gets married to Kabir, they show things calming down in the Sisodia household, the women getting more respected, and finally the show winding down.  If needed, show babies for Jyotir, Sannam, Paneelam and Sudhay.  And then end it on that happy note., since there is no real message that they can send anymore.
khanJamila thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I know it looks like she is creating problem by herself; but as far as I know in India no matter what even if you leave seperate from Sasural  family interfioru your life. You just can't ignore ithem.
Same thing was with Pankaj too. It was only Pankaj decission to marry her and CM did not like it from begning. No matter how much Pankaj liked her and believe her in begning Jyoti's life was hell because of sasural.

Jyoti don't want to repeat her Past. She want to face problem in begning solve it and then proceed.

It is still not that simple in India to adjust in this situation Specially knowing she is divorced and was ( is) mother too.

Vr15h thumbnail
^^^ Depends on whether they are allowed.  W/ Pankaj, since he was living w/ family, and especially CM, he had no choice, and nor did Jyoti.  But w/ Kabir, his father & bros live in Jodhpur, while Kabir lives in Udaipur.  If he just marries Jyoti there, it's end of it - he doesn't have to go to Jodhpur @ all, and he can tell them all that he's married a divorced ex-mother, and is happy w/ her, and  take it or leave it.  End of story.
Anurulz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
true..very well written by all the posters..the creatives are confused themselves as to what to portray...the masochistic mahaan naari or the self respecting independant woman..and end up showing the sorriest combination of both..and portraying not just jyoti bt sushma and sudha also in the wierdest manner..i second vrisha..sushma-saint brij track was the beginning of the end for the show..and pankaj mr.ehsaas turned psycho finally nailed it..i frankly dnt give a damn abt the new wierdos coz they cnt screw the show up any more..its already at its screwed best..
Mulan08 thumbnail

Originally posted by: khanJamila

I know it looks like she is creating problem by herself; but as far as I know in India no matter what even if you leave seperate from Sasural  family interfioru your life. You just can't ignore ithem.

Same thing was with Pankaj too. It was only Pankaj decission to marry her and CM did not like it from begning. No matter how much Pankaj liked her and believe her in begning Jyoti's life was hell because of sasural.

Jyoti don't want to repeat her Past. She want to face problem in begning solve it and then proceed.

It is still not that simple in India to adjust in this situation Specially knowing she is divorced and was ( is) mother too.

I partly agree with you say. In laws can be very interfering and can cause trouble if they are malicious.

Yet I hold that if the husband is totally devoted to his wife, like Kabir is for Jyoti, and trusts her completely then it should not be a problem for a sensible woman like Jyoti to stay away from trouble and keep herself and her husband happy. There is no sin here, and if that is being selfish, then why not? By herself, and without interference from a nosy and malicious sasural, a woman like Jyoti can create a successful family and be a strong constituent of our society. 

Mulan08 thumbnail

Originally posted by: anu rulz

true..very well written by all the posters..the creatives are confused themselves as to what to portray...the masochistic mahaan naari or the self respecting independant woman..and end up showing the sorriest combination of both..and portraying not just jyoti bt sushma and sudha also in the wierdest manner..i second vrisha..sushma-saint brij track was the beginning of the end for the show..and pankaj mr.ehsaas turned psycho finally nailed it..i frankly dnt give a damn abt the new wierdos coz they cnt screw the show up any more..its already at its screwed best..

I was hopeful of a dignified end to the show when it was shifted to the 7:30 slot but  have no hopes of it being worth a watch at least for the next few weeks.
Vr15h thumbnail
I resurrected this old thread b'cos Jyoti today was not just annoying, she really pissed me off.  For no reason, she lunged @ Dr Verma for telling her that Roshni has leukemia, when this was a doc Kabir selected, who had nothing to do w/ Pankaj!!!

Really, Jyoti 😡😡 When Pankaj keeps blackmailing you, not only do you hide it from Kabir, but you pretty much are @ Pankaj's beck & call - doing whatever he wants, including feeding him cake w/ your own hands.  When Kabir bashes him up, you try to restrain him, even though he's beating up a genuine villain.  Yet here you are, beating up an innocent doc who's only crime is not concealing from you what your daughter is suffering from.  Maybe Dr V should have just told her that Roshni had a headache and she can take her home, and let Jyoti get the shock of her life when Roshni drops dead.

It's one thing for Jyoti to be a doormat to Pankaj or CS, but when she becomes a snake to a doc she doesn't even know, she's worth being beaten w/ shoes 😡
really it'was most stupid episode. Why cvs are ruining storyline by focussing pankaj again & making jyoti appear so clueless ? I dont understand why ruin JYOTI' when it was going too well few weeks back.