Most overpaid/underpaid profession?

Mockingjay1 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Greetings 😊

I just thought of this the other day when my cuz was watching sports(basketball) and I questioned him as to why he watches it. But nevermind that.

Who do you think is getting money which obviously they dont deserve? And who's not getting paid enough?

Professional sports players and actors are def. paid alot more than they deserve.

I think teachers and nurses are underpaid. Not to mention some of them are even getting lay offs! And pro basketball players are getting $10 million a year!!!

Where is the justice in that?

P.S. Thanks for answeringEdited by Phoenix_3 - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jess. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I agree with you.

Professional players are getting  paid to much!
Whereas teachers get paid around maybe 50 thousand a year...these teachers have a hand in educating the kids & they practically raise them!
They should definitely get paid more, especially for all the work they do!

High School teachers take on so much & are available to give help to students after school without getting paid (out of generosity). One of my teachers stays till 8 at night sometimes helping kids/grading and all that.

I can say for sure that i would have gone for being a teacher if the pay was better...i thought about it long and hard and decided that for all the work teachers put into teaching & other non-paid activities, it isnt worth it.

Originally posted by: Phoenix_3

Greetings 😊

I just thought of this the other day when my cuz was watching sports(basketball) and I questioned him as to why he watches it. But nevermind that.

Who do you think is getting money which obviously they dont deserve? And who's not getting paid enough?

Professional sports players and actors are def. paid alot more than they deserve.

I think teachers and nurses are underpaid. Not to mention some of them are even getting lay offs! And pro basketball players are getting $10 million a year!!!

P.S. Thanks for answering

I agree with the overall sentiment. I will jot down a few random thoughts that pop up in my mind when I think of this topic. The following points are not necessarily in an order.

Nobody "deserves" their billions and millions. Nobody "deserves" to remain below the poverty line. But deserves got nothing to do with reality. It's definitely not a fair world but we all know that already.

Why celebrities or sportsmen or businessmen make what they make is simple economics. It's all about profit sharing. You probably know that too.

I live in the country that "invented" capitalism. I support capitalism but not to the extent that it creates extreme disparity. I hate layoffs but then it's the survival of the fittest out there. We didn't invent that, that's been the mantra for ages now. We only live by that.

Everyone agrees that the guy who works hard deserves a "little" more than the lazy bum who is a couch potato. Turn it around, a construction worker who toils day and night makes much much less than the engineer who oversees the construction. It's debatable who deserves more. The engineer for his smarts or the blue collar worker for his blood, sweat and tears?

I will join later depending on how this thread goes.

Great topic!!!

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Phoenix_3

Greetings 😊

P.S. Thanks for answering

You know sports is popular and it rakes in revenue...so are actors...  So its justified.. I think the most overrated profession is  IT/software and finance analyst.. both cause economic ruin  through either crappy substandard software or guesswork with market analysys and that too with  lot of confidence......yet command undeservedly high  pay and benefits.. Underpaid is fire-fighters and cops... who not only risk their lives to save others.. might lose it even... Edited by qwertyesque - 13 years ago
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

If a person is outstanding in something he is bound to make his mark and earn big bucks, provided he is in the right country.
It is a matter of demand and supply.

When we talk ARTS, there is no price limit.

Take some paintings by Picasso, which I think  a child can do better, it costs and arm and a leg.

Edited by Summer3 - 13 years ago
qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: Summer3

If a person is outstanding in something he is bound to make his mark and earn big bucks, provided he is in the right country.
It is a matter of demand and supply.

When we talk ARTS, there is no price limit.

Take some paintings by Picasso, which I think  a child can do better, it costs and arm and a leg.

nah its not a childs play even if it wasnt picasso.. i happened to see a paiinting where there were three streaks on a big canvas in shape of sigma... i can tell you - it was a superb painting.. if you cant calue diamond its just another  form of coal!!???😊
Summer3 thumbnail

But a price of say  36 million bucks for it is way out.

Often it is the name and the branding too.
qwertyesque thumbnail

Originally posted by: Summer3

But a price of say  36 million bucks for it is way out.

Often it is the name and the branding too.

It something of a classic... you know 500 for iphone is way off. too.. isnt it? the price exists not as a tag.. but someone actually is ready to pay that price..thats what makes the difference.....😊.. teh same market dynamic...
I think Vangogh is the most expensive i think around 60 mil i think.....
Summer3 thumbnail

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

It something of a classic... you know 500 for iphone is way off. too.. isnt it? the price exists not as a tag.. but someone actually is ready to pay that price..thats what makes the difference.....😊.. teh same market dynamic...
I think Vangogh is the most expensive i think around 60 mil i think.....

VanGogh

yes his art is lovely.
But pooh 60 million bucks for it ????

Poor guy was living hand to mouth when alive. Not much poetic justice.

He uses very rich colours and paints with a lot of emotion and feel

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Something that most people can do will command less wages. Something that only a few people can do, commands the highest wages.
Simple demand and supply.

Edited by souro - 13 years ago