I Don't Talk Much To Hina Khan: Karan Mehra

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
Though he claims to be different from his reel life character, Karan Mehra seems to be talking the same language as Naitik. It's his politeness that wins your heart both on and off the screen. At times, you really wonder whether you are really taking to the one of the most popular actors on television. Thrown him a punch, and he's bound to throw a rose back at you! It's this calm approach that makes him popular not just with his fans, but also with the media.

Be it the 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai', equation with Hina Khan, Hollywood aspirations or  Nisha,  Karan Mehra bares it all to TellyCafe's Mayur Lookhar.

A year and half later, where do you think 'Yeh  Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai' stands today?

We're still in a good position. There's a lot of drama still to be told that will keep the viewers on their toes. Akshara and Naitik's relationship, too, is growing I'm sure there'll plenty more of twists and turns to come.

The ratings have dropped in the last few weeks. There's is a perception that the ratings have dropped because the current track doesn't focus much on Naitik and Akshara.

Well, nobody raised this question for a year and half, but at the moment the TRPs have dipped slightly and you come up with this. We're hoping that this is just a phase and I'm sure it will pass as the story develops.

To answer you second point, I don't think Akshara or Naitik are being sidelined. In fact, they are getting more footage, more romantic scenes than the soon-to-be-married Mohit and Nandini.

The shelf life of soaps have decreased. A year later, most shows reach a saturation point. Is it the same for 'Yeh Rishta..?

No, we still have two years to go for that. In the last couple of years, the audience's expectation have really risen. It's become tough to live up to them. These expectations aren't limited to TV, the audience even laughs at the follies committed by the biggest Bollywood stars. They have become more intelligent now than before.

Honestly speaking, would you like your show to last for a decade?

(Pauses) Ah! I really can't predict that. Ayee, don't think I see myself doing the show for that long. Naitik with grow with time. It all depends upon the viewer's taste. If they want the show to continue, then I see no harm in doing it.

What's going to be the next high point in the show?

I've got no clue. At the moment, Karan is very tired of shooting rigorously. Currently, it's all about Mohti-Nandini's marriage.

You were once quoted in a report saying that films were your ultimate destination, but you want to graduate to films from television. However, TV binds your feet. It doesn't allow you the time to do a film?

Every actor likes to be versatile and thus he/she needs to explore such avenues. It's a common perception that once you do TV, you don't get a foothold into films. However, the trend is changing with TV actors going to films and vice versa. My dream is to go to Hollywood. It might take some time, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

After having assisted the likes of Ram Gopal Verma and Raju Hirani, ideally, you should have targeted films first. Was it really a difficult task to land a film?

Well, I've done (Love Story: 2050). Unfortunately, not many are even aware of it as most of my scenes were chopped off. Well, it's not as easy as it may seem. The most important thing is that even if you get a film, it has to succeed. If not, then you may never get a film again. Thus it's important to make the right choice.

If tomorrow you were to bag a big banner film, will you then leave 'Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai'?

At the moment, I'm committed to 'Yeh Ristha Kya Kehlata Hai'. However, if something really good comes up, then it won't be easy to do justice.  A film takes time to complete; besides it goes through other processes before it finally hits the screens.  You have to be precise in your decision-making. Even if I leave 'Yeh Rishta..' for a film, I will always comeback to television. You must never forget your roots.

You've really liked Shahid Kapur in Kaminey, and would love to play such a role. Your fans might say that you're too good a guy to play a grey role.

People have appreciated SRK in DDLJ, but they also loved him for his role in Darr.  As an actor you must try different things. I feel that I can be pretty bad. If not anything, I can surely remove my frustrations  through a Kaminey-type role.

Hina Khan says that she mimics you on the sets. How do you retaliate?

Is it? I really don't know. Honestly, I'm a through professional who just sticks to his work. I don't talk much to Hina Khan or anyone else on the sets. I'm a very conservative person by nature. After the director says cut-off, I usually spend my free time in my room.

Not socializing with even producer Rajan Shahi?

Yes, I hardly talk to him too. In fact, Rajanji himself says that I'm the most peaceful actor he's worked with. I am a thorough professional, one who doesn't like to get personal with colleagues.

Fashion designer, Actor, social worker, businessman! What's closest to your heart?

It has to be acting. After all, that is what keeps me alive. I'd like the others to follow smoothly. As for social work, I've always believed in giving back to the society.

Finally, when will Karan Mehra and Nisha Rawal tie the knot?

Perhaps, late next year. Honestly, we haven't thought of settling. There are a lot of things which need to happen before we can settle down in life. There's still a long way to go in our respective careers. 

- Mayur Lookhar/TellyCafe.com

http://tellycafe.com/television-star-interviews/502-i-dont-talk-much-to-hina-khan-karan-mehra.html

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Vanshika- thumbnail
I think itz already posted.. anyways thnzz 4 sharing..
Serendipity.. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
thnx for sharingπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ....i wish thy were friends..........😭😭😭😭
--Nishita-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thanks! What's the harm in interacting with co-stars? πŸ˜•
Serendipity.. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nishitah512

Thanks! What's the harm in interacting with co-stars? πŸ˜•

thts quite evident in their"uncomfortable romantic scenes"
--Nishita-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sia.k_1

<div></div>thts quite evident in their"uncomfortable romantic scenes"

True but they seem to have opened up a bit. These days they seem comfortable with each other. The awkwardness was evident earlier but off late they are rocking in their romantic scenes 😎
Serendipity.. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nishitah512

True but they seem to have opened up a bit. These days they seem comfortable with each other. The awkwardness was evident earlier but off late they are rocking in their romantic scenes 😎

yaa agreed now thy r rocking in the romantic scenes...doens matter as long as naksh r togetherπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
--Pravz-- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! ..um in love wid karan! ..

hez a true profestinalist! ...sucha sweeeeet one! ...bt den y shud he speak 2 hiz co star? his personal lyf is hiz personal ...y shud others knw abt it ? ..

love u karan! ..such a sweetie pie! ..being comfortable wid ech otehr dosnt mean dat dey shud knmw abt ech other ryt ...datz der profession ..n dey shud do ..nothing beyond dat! ..

by diz ..hina is ttly diff frm karan! ..bth in der own  wy rawkz! ..love u bth ..
Edited by pravz_me - 14 years ago
pree4ru thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: pravz_me

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! ..um in love wid karan! ..

hez a true profestinalist! ...sucha sweeeeet one! ...bt den y shud he speak 2 hiz co star? his personal lyf is hiz personal ...y shud others knw abt it ? ..

love u karan! ..such a sweetie pie! ..being comfortable wid ech otehr dosnt mean dat dey shud knmw abt ech other ryt ...datz der profession ..n dey shud do ..nothing beyond dat! ..

by diz ..hina is ttly diff frm karan! ..bth in der own wy rawkz! ..love u bth ..

both r same even hina is conservatie she also doent mingle wit all

--Pravz-- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: preksha_naksh

both r same even hina is conservatie she also doent mingle wit all

bt shez sumwt fun loving ..n outgoing! ..more dan karan atlest! ..