Users

Frequent Posters

JennyPenny thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 13 years ago

Vampire Diaries Post-Mortem and a Preview of the Shocking Finale

Apr 29, 2011 12:00 AM ET
by Natalie Abrams

[Warning: This story contains spoilers from this week's episode of Vampire Diaries.]

We promise, it's going to be all right — maybe.

Thursday's episode of Vampire Diaries was a kick to the gut, thanks to Damon's decision to feed his blood to Elena (Nina Dobrev) and Jenna (Sara Canning) being turned into a vampire by Klaus (Joseph Morgan). And it's not even the season finale yet! Executive producer Julie Plecis here to calm — or in some cases heighten — your fears for what's ahead for the Mystic Falls gang. Will Damon (Ian Somerhalder) die? Will Elena turn into a vampire? Get the scoop below! 

6 reasons why you should watch Vampire Diaries this week 

Jenna is becoming a vampire: Yes, Klaus has taken the life of what may be the only pure person left in Mystic Falls. Shortly after finding out that vampires exist, Jenna has become an integral part in the long-awaited ritual. "The next episode takes place over the rest of the night," Plec says. "It is Klaus' attempt in executing the sacrifice ritual to break the curse and the part Jenna is meant to play in that, and what everyone else has to do to try to keep her from being the vampire that Klaus sacrifices."

Damon was fatally bitten by a werewolf: Remember Rose (Lauren Cohan)? The ancient, yet sweet vampire that formed a bond with Damon only to be bitten by a werewolf and slowly die in his arms? Yeah, there is no cure for a werewolf bite! "The finale is basically the end of the road of Damon's journey for the year," Plec says. "He's done so many things and made so many choices that have been so screwed up and now he's at the end of his life, so he believes, and he needs to come to terms with all the decisions he's made in the year. Not just in the year, but since Katherine seduced him 145 years ago. [He'll be] reliving those mistakes that he made with Katherine [and] trying to get Elena's forgiveness."

Stefan will try to save Damon: Stefan (Paul Wesley) is "determined to do anything he can possible to save his brother," Plec says. "Stefan's whole cross to bear is, 'Wait a second, my brother is finally showing his humanity? The humanity that I took away from him 145 years ago? I can't let him die now!' But there's no cure, so what the hell is he going to do? That's the finale."

Exclusive Vampire Diaries first look: The season finale is on fire!

Elena does not want to be a vampire: With only slight hope that the elixir Elijah (Daniel Gillies) procured would save Elena, Damon took matters into his own hands and force-fed his blood to her, essentially ensuring she would turn into a vampire if Klaus succeeds in the ritual. "When we started the show, the similarities to Twilight were so extreme," Plec says. "This was our way of closing the book on that chapter of similarities. For Elena to say, 'I've never even wanted this for a minute because I'm still a kid and I still have choices to make in my life, choices that I wanted to make'; I was happy to let her have this introspection when the choice has already been made for her." 

Damon will try to get Elena's forgiveness: Damon will have to deal with the aftermath of damning Elena to an eternity of being a vampire. "This is [Damon's] biggest lesson to learn," Plec says, "You can love someone with all the power in your soul, but you still have to remember whothey are and what they want. In the final episode, Damon needs to seek her forgiveness for what he did and he desperately wants it. He now has the extra reason with the werewolf bite. 'I can't die with you hating me,' that's his point."

Catch up on episodes of The Vampire Diaries by reading our recaps

The producers wouldn't really kill Damon, right? Right? While Plec playfully joked, "Anybody can die!" and "Who needs Ian Somerhalder?" the producers are not afraid to make some tough choices. "There will be severe and tragic consequences, and loss of life [will] be extreme over the last several episodes," Plec says. "It's a vampire show, and in a vampire show, the stakes are high and the death count has to match that. If you guys don't believe the consequences aren't life and death, then we're not doing our job. Unfortunately we've set into motion this ritual that needs a lot of sacrificial elements. We hope that the audience trusts our decision as storytellers to make those right decisions. There will be decisions that are not popular, always."

Even if characters die, it may not be the last we see of them: Case in point, Lexi (Arielle Kebbel) was killed in her first episode on the show, but the producers were able to bring her back in flashbacks. "There will be characters that you think are gone, so we do have ways of letting our audience see their fan favorites again over time," Plec says.

Vampire Diaries airs Thursdays at 8/7c on the CW.

JennyPenny thumbnail

'The Vampire Diaries' Exec Producer Julie Plec Teases Next Week & the Finale

What an episode! I posted a little preview earlier today, but there's nothing you can say to prepare for something like that. Now that it's happened and you've seen it too, I've got a little bit more from the press Q&A with executive producerJulie Plec to help clarify things a bit.

bviously, SPOILERS AHEAD, so if you haven't yet watched 'The Last Day,' keep reading at your own risk. While I won't spoil anything coming up, there's plenty of dirt about what happened tonight, including Damon's need for forgiveness, Elena's very un-'Twilight'-like speech and how Aunt Jenna got thrown into the middle of everything. So yeah, spoilers.

Plec also gives some good scoop on next week's "big, powerful, enormous, emotional" episode and the season finale. Keep reading for more ...

When's the Sacrifice?
This week's episode covered the preparation for the sacrifice ritual. So what will we see next week? "The next episode takes place over the rest of the night," Plec said. "And it is Klaus' attempt at executing the sacrifice ritual to break the curse, and the part that Jenna is meant to play in that and what everybody else has to do to try to keep her from being the vampire that Klaus sacrifices."

This Ain't No 'Twilight'
"I love [the waterfall scene] between Stefan and Elena because when we started the show, the similarities to 'Twilight' were so extreme and this was our way of sort of closing the book on that chapter of similarities. For Elena to say, 'I've never even wanted this for a minute because I'm still a kid, and I still have choices to make in my life, choices that I wanted to make' ... I love that about Elena. I just think that that's so beautiful, and was happy to let her have this introspection when the choice has already been made for her."

A Bloody Mess
Yeah, about that ... can you believe Damon forced Elena to drink his blood? Just when you thought he couldn't get more selfish ... but where does that leave the Damon-Elena relationship? And how will it change Damon? Will any of it even matter if Damon dies from that werewolf bite?

"Stefan sees that, in love, you have to take the other person's wishes into consideration, and Damon, because he's been so screwed in the head by love and it's his achilles heel ... this episode was about him kind of learning that lesson," Plec said. "He needs to seek her forgiveness for what he did, and he does try ... and he desperately wants it. And he's now got the extra reason with the werewolf bite -- like I can't die with you hating me. That's his point, but how does that play out? That's really what the finale's all about."

The Finale
Plec gave a little more insight into the finale, and why they're not ending on the sacrifice ritual we've been leading up to all season long. "The finale is basically the end of the road of Damon's journey for the year -- his character journey -- and we could've ended with the sacrifice ritual and just gone out. It's really big, powerful ... it's enormous and emotional. That could have been it. But for us, we started the season and Stefan said to Damon, 'For the first time, I see you starting to feel something, starting to care. Do not let this ruin you. Do not let Katherine ruin you. Do not let anything come between us [or] take a step backwards.' And here we are -- we've come full circle, and now he's at the end of his life, so he believes, and he needs to come to terms with all the decisions he's made in the year ... and since Katherine seduced him 145 years ago.

"Stefan's whole cross to bear is like, wait a second ... my brother's finally showing his humanity, the humanity I took away from him 145 years ago. I can't let him die now! But there's no cure. So what the hell is he gonna do? So that's the finale."

Follow Maggie on Twitter @TheTVShowGirl
dkmystery thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I will never say that Damon was being selfish when he made Elena drink his blood... he just wants her to be alive, and they couldn't depend on the elixir...
poor Damon, it is always him who suffers 😭
MagicalKash thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

A Vampire Diaries Post-Mortem and a Preview of the Shocking Finale

Natalie Abrams
Apr 29, 2011 12:00 AM ET
by Natalie Abrams
Matt Davis and Ian Somerhalder

[Warning: This story contains spoilers from this week's episode of Vampire Diaries.]

We promise, it's going to be all right — maybe.

Thursday's episode of Vampire Diaries was a kick to the gut, thanks to Damon's decision to feed his blood to Elena (Nina Dobrev) and Jenna (Sara Canning) being turned into a vampire by Klaus (Joseph Morgan). And it's not even the season finale yet! Executive producer Julie Plec is here to calm — or in some cases heighten — your fears for what's ahead for the Mystic Falls gang. Will Damon (Ian Somerhalder) die? Will Elena turn into a vampire? Get the scoop below! 

6 reasons why you should watch Vampire Diaries this week

Jenna is becoming a vampire: Yes, Klaus has taken the life of what may be the only pure person left in Mystic Falls. Shortly after finding out that vampires exist, Jenna has become an integral part in the long-awaited ritual. "The next episode takes place over the rest of the night," Plec says. "It is Klaus' attempt in executing the sacrifice ritual to break the curse and the part Jenna is meant to play in that, and what everyone else has to do to try to keep her from being the vampire that Klaus sacrifices."

Damon was fatally bitten by a werewolf: Remember Rose (Lauren Cohan)? The ancient, yet sweet vampire that formed a bond with Damon only to be bitten by a werewolf and slowly die in his arms? Yeah, there is no cure for a werewolf bite! "The finale is basically the end of the road of Damon's journey for the year," Plec says. "He's done so many things and made so many choices that have been so screwed up and now he's at the end of his life, so he believes, and he needs to come to terms with all the decisions he's made in the year. Not just in the year, but since Katherine seduced him 145 years ago. [He'll be] reliving those mistakes that he made with Katherine [and] trying to get Elena's forgiveness."

Stefan will try to save Damon: Stefan (Paul Wesley) is "determined to do anything he can possible to save his brother," Plec says. "Stefan's whole cross to bear is, 'Wait a second, my brother is finally showing his humanity? The humanity that I took away from him 145 years ago? I can't let him die now!' But there's no cure, so what the hell is he going to do? That's the finale."

JennyPenny thumbnail
Everything is about Damon. It's like the next two episode will be about Damon .

I am looking forward to Damon-Stefan episodes and scenes. I don't really care about the Elena factor at the moment.
JennyPenny thumbnail

More interviews with Joseph Morgan and one in particular really made us sit up straight in our chair and say "Wow" outloud.HitFix's Daniel Fienberg chats with Morgan about the usual – his inspirations for Klaus, being a fan of the vampire genre, starting out in film (actually, the early career stuff is really interesting and definitely worth reading) – and then he drops this little nugget of information, which is the first time we've ever heard anything along these lines in relation to the show…

HitFix: Just as a last question: Gimme a little tease on what we can expect from Klaus this week and in the weeks to come…

Joseph Morgan: OK. People are going to die. People we love will die. And let me tell you this, which I don't think I've said before: Klaus is going to take a special interest in Stefan Salvatore. That's something that's definitely going to happen. I'm not talking about a romantic interest, mind you, although it has been hinted that there will be a gay character at some point in Mystic Falls and I think there should be. But that's not the kind of interest I'm talking about here. But there's going to definitely be something… happening… between these two characters.

Yeah, so… Thaaat can't be good. READ THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW AT HITFIX.

And Red Eye Chicago's Curt Wagner has a more playful Q&A with Mr. Morganand they even touch on Klaus's possible "softer side":

Will we see a softer side to Klaus, or does he even have one?
Let me put it this way to you: We're going to see a more tender side of him. And I'm just going to leave it at that.

And we'll see that yet this season?
Absolutely we will, but probably not in the way you expect. [Laughs.]

READ THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW AT REDEYECHICAGO.

-SilverAngel- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Damon has to live...he just has to!!!!!!!!!
TheBlackJaguar thumbnail
Honestly, at this point , i don't care much about Elena. Its the Salvatore brothers who are at the forefront right now. Damon cannot die . Why die when he has that little hope of being human , of being redeemable? I don't care what writers and creatives say. I will stick to what Stefan is saying and doing- no matter how impossible it is to find a cure for Damon, Stefan will find it. All I know is Stefan is just not going to sit around and let his brother die. You just cannot separate Damon and Stefan and Damon deserves his chance!

P.S- Klaus, keep your gorgeous claws off Stefan! What could he want from him? We need Damon here!

JennyPenny thumbnail
I was watching that Rose episode and Julies said that the only way to cure werewolf bite to is to drive a stake through the heart.

I rather have him take off his ring or something than that ^ but why damon? W*F? Damon cannot die. and Stefan will be gone for the entire finale?

So what's Klaus gonna do? All the vampires are vunerable anyways, unless the next episode he goes into his mode and does not show until season 3.

I don't have hopes on Elena. Showed no emotion when Stefan told her that Damon loves her, and I wonder if the fact that Damon could die will have effect on her or not.

Extended promo: Clear Version

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDvd-FRmCBQ[/YOUTUBE]
^I think it is Jenna that died.
wida thumbnail
stefan to go find a cure??
from articles it sounds like he is doing it because he feels guilty about what he had done 145 years agoo..