Supermoms: Neetu Singh Kapoor and Ila Arun

-Sakina- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
Actors Neetu Singh and Ila Arun may be stars in the eyes of the world but for their daughters – Riddhima and Ishita respectively, they're the usual loving, caring 'supermoms'!

Riddhima Kapoor Sahni on Neetu Singh Kapoor
It would take only a mom like Neetu Singh to bring up kids like Riddhima and Ranbir Kapoor. Settling down in marriage at an early age of 21after having given up a flourishing acting career in Bollywood - all to become the perfect homemaker and the best mother to kids, actor Neetu Singh has indeed achieved all that she aspired for. She's a "supermom" as Riddhima, Neetu's elder daughter exclaims every now and then.

And while every mom is 'the world's best mom' according to her kid, Riddhima tells us what makes Neetu Singh the 'best mom' for her and bro, Ranbir.

"But she is actually the best mom," Riddhima stresses, as she continues, "I mean just look at my mom... she gave it all up – her career, her youth, her ambition – all to make a good home for my dad, Ranbir and me. To give us the right values, be there at the time we were growing up and yet show such patience and tolerance and immense love."

But given the background that both Riddhima and Ranbir got, kids to star parents like Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Singh, wasn't their childhood and upbringing different from the rest? "Oh! Not at all. We had a very normal childhood just like all other kids. Both our parents, especially mom, since dad used to be away most of the days on shoots, ensured that we didn't grow up having those star kids' tantrums, that we realised the importance of work, money, relationships and everything."

She goes on, "So much so, unlike the common perception, that we being stars' kids must be allowed late night parties and all, who'd believe that our deadline for coming back home from anywhere was max 8pm. That is even if it was from a normal drive that we might have gone out for! The days we were home, we used to have food by 7.30 pm and be in bed latest by 9 pm. So even though we cribbed or grumbled, today we definitely realise the change it has brought in us."

Alright, but with all that cribbing and nagging, wasn't there any fear of mom scolding or yelling at them? "No way! Mom is not the types to be yelling at the kids, or for that matter, at anyone at all. Mom was always the talking types... one who believed in talking out a problem and then explaining to us what and why was something being refused to us. But since Ranbir was the naughtier one, she was a li'l more strict with him."

However, if Riddhima was to point out a few things that really got Neetu Singh to lose her cool was "when Ranbir and I used to get down to fighting and wrestling, or the few times we did dare to cross our 8pm deadline in coming back home. We were two of the nicer kids who hardly troubled their mother," chuckles Riddhima.

But being a girl, for her, what was her mom like – a friend, her confidante or her idol? "As a kid, she was just a mom – whom we loved and respected. So even though both Ranbir and I were very open and shared our daily tid-bits with her, it was never like we shared any secrets or anything. Not that we had too many either! But it's now, after I got married and matured from being just a daughter to someone's wife that my mom is more of my confidante and friend."

So well, with a mother like that, what kind of tips has Riddhima picked up for herself? "Oh, if only I could be half of how my mom is, I would have achieved something! She's an epitome of patience and tolerance, something that I'm yet to learn. Her skill of handling everyone and everything... right from parties, house chores, dinners to even people. She can't see even our servants sad. Also, she has that great quality of striking a balance everywhere – be it with her kids, her friends, my in-laws, dad's friends, just anyone at all! Only if I could manage all that.

"So now you see, why she's our supermom!"

Now that Mother's Day is nearing, how does she plan to make the day special for her mom? "I'll may be send her a card and a bouquet. But she just might be flying to UK to be with dad, who's shooting there. Then I'll have to plan some other way to make my flowers or gift reach her."

Ishita Arun on Ila Arun
She might come across as a strong independent and fiery woman, but in real "she's extremely child-like" reveals Ishita Arun of her mom – singer and actor Ila Arun. And she definitely seems so, after daughter Ishita shares with us the lighter side of her mom and the kind of 'chilled out' relationship that the mother and daughter duo share.

She starts, "One has to see her with me to know how funny and child-like she is," chuckles Ishita, as she says, "Like a typical mom, my mother loves to shout at me.. I mean that's happening all the time. So in that respect, I'm a source of entertainment for her as she keeps herself busy by shouting at me."

But how does she feel being shouted at still? "Oh, that way I'm very well deserving of all the jihaad that I get from mom. I'm one big rebel. I love to break rules and my mom loves to yell at me. Like I remember when I got my first tattoo without telling mom, she didn't talk to me for two days. Then when I got my second tattoo, she was livid. Then finally after she realised there was no way she'd be able to stop me, I made her pay for my third one as a gift on my b'day this year."

So hasn't the fact that now even Ishita is a celeb, is independent and earning, changed any of her reactions? "Definitely not! And I think all kids would attest this. No matter what your age or what you achieve in life, you remain kids in their eyes and hence the subsequent jhaads that I was mentioning to you about. That's just ongoing," says Ishita.

Another thing Ishita recalls she used to and still gets scolded for is "Coming back late at night. I remember how she never used to give me the house keys so that when she opened the door for me when I returned, she made a mental record of what time I was back. Then next morning, obviously since I was back home late, I wanted to sleep till late. But no, mom would come in my room early the next day and start waking me up. When I said, 'What mom, I'm sleeping' her usual one-liner would be ' Aur tumhara bhagya bhi so raha hai... '!" laughs Ishita, confessing, "I just love such Hindi one-liners from my mom. She's too funny! Like another of her usual one-liners used to be whenever I asked her to go out for a party when I was small and she'd say ' Chahe duniya ulat jaye, tum nai jaogi' "

Continuing in the same breath, she says laughing, "I make so much fun of mom, crack jokes on her and play pranks on her that she always keeps saying, ' tum mera mazaak banati raho.. ek din tum khud mazaak ban jaogi .' I mean it's so funny to hear her say like this."

So in all this masti mazaak, are their serious moments as well? "Of course. Biologically my mom is my mom. But at soul, I think I am my mother's mom. I feel very responsible towards her, in fact towards both my parents – that fact that I have to take care of them and provide everything that they want. I also have serious discussions with mom when it's consulting about work or may be a new assignment that I'm taking up. I cannot discount her experience in the industry after all."

Ask Ishita what are the qualities that she'd want to pick up from her mother and she says, "Her pro-activeness in doing work unlike me who's very very laidback. The fact that she's the glue of the family, the fact that she'd make efforts to remember even the smallest of occasions in the life of people around her and not forget to wish them. Her knack of managing her home, finances and people. Her love for literature, art and theatre. Her gregarious and fun-loving nature. I wish I could imbibe all of it from mom."

So while fighting, joking and playing pranks is part of their daily routine, is there anything special that Ishita has planned for her mom on Mother's Day? "Yeah, this time I've decided I'll drag her to the spa and gift her a spa treatment. And I say drag, coz mom just hates it. In a spa, she feels like she's been trapped in a jail, but am going to do it," chuckles Ishita at the very thought.

"While from mom's side, I'm sure there must be a letter waiting for me on Mother's Day," says Ishita, as she shares about Ila Arun's habit of writing a three-four page letter to Ishita on every occasion, "the content of which mostly revolves around how much she loves me, that she wants me to be happy always and even the things that she wants me to improve on. And let me tell you one more thing, my mom's writing is so bad, that like always, I'd have to spend half my day deciphering what she's written," says Ishita as she bursts out laughing.

"But it's really nice to see mom so cheerful and young which is reassuring that she'll be around for a very, very long time," says Ishita as she signs off.

Touchwood!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Sakina- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 13 years ago
my personal pick wud be Neetu Singh Kapoor