Alok Nath, Rajshree's special face - Article

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago

You are one of our most dependable actors- but tell us, why be an actor at all? What led you to it?
It would be difficult to pinpoint exactly what triggered it, but I found myself on stage at the age of six. I was in Modern School in Delhi and Om Shivpuri taught us Hindi Theatre.

How were your acting aspirations received at home?
With resentment, what else? My doctor father and teacher mother were aghast because my studies suffered. But then, they saw my performance and conceded – "Chalo, kahin toh kuch karta hai".

And then?
Well, it continued in college and I realized that I am good at it. It was like, you wake me up and say – Alok Act! And I will start acting! So I decided to join the National School of Drama!

Do you remember your first shot?
Yes, I do, it was in Gandhi, it was near Qutub Minar. But it happened very well.

How about not getting to be a song and dance hero?
Smiles, Banne toh wahi aaye the! Did a film too in the lead with Tina Munim- Kamang! Yaad hai. (Smiles) But unfortunately it couldn't be understood by the audience - it was misinterpreted and it bombed!

So how is it to be directed by Rajshree's Sooraj?
Oh, he is a gem of a person! And so down to earth! You know, he tried to make a modern film in 'Main Prem Ki Deewani Hoon'. i.e away from the Rajshree mould. Once he told me one day after a screening, a girl accosted and cribbed and said, 'Sooraj ji what have you done? You made your heroine wear a skirt? How can you forget that Rajshree has a Ma Sarawati in its emblem?' That's the image and the sanskar, Rajshree has to live up to!

In Yahan Main Ghar Ghar Kheli which scene has given you total satisfaction?
That is never there, but the scene where I celebrate 100 years of Swarn Bhawan and my debtors come with court orders for an auction was really good. The way I treat the guests and ask them not to leave and to have food at least- it was full of complex emotions!

Was there a scene that was difficult? We mean, where you had to do some extra effort as an actor?
That was the sequence when we had fallen on bad times and had to shift to the humble dwelling of my wife's Muhbola Bhai and my daughter starts working to make ends meet for the family- but secretively from me. One day, I get the wind of it and physically throw her out of the house! It took quite an effort to do that correctly!

So is there any role left you want to do?
No, I am happy with what I am. Alok Nath is like this only.

http://www.indya.com/gallery/indyagallery.aspx?p=Alok-Nath-Rajshrees-special-face&aid=1624

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Thank you nice interview love the comment on main prem ki deewani hoon 👍🏼
pankhi thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thanxx for sharing. ALOK ji is very talented.