cdesai12 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

The long road ahead

from
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=17& amp;articleid=11202005121109371120200512023531#

Wearing his trademark quiet charm, Abhishek Bachchan chats with Ram Kamal Mukherjee on coming into his own and the milestones to be met

Kuch Na Kaho, your first film with Rohan Sippy, bombed at the box office. Now you are both working together in Bluffmaster.Have you ironed out the flaws?
Kuch Na Kaho was a film Rohan felt the audience would love - a nice romantic formula film - a safe bet for  any newcomer. With Bluffmaster, he has made a film he believes in, and not what the audience requires. He is a more mature and confident director now. We both know our limitations and have worked them out.

With a professional director, your approach is very professional. But when it's a schoolfriend like Rohan, do you tend to take him for granted or vice versa.
Not really. When you are working for a friend, you become more conscious and try to give 200 per cent to the project. Rohan is a childhood friend. I would go out of my way to do something for him, and I am sure that he would do the same.

During Kuch Na Kaho, you were both strugglers. Now, you have  a series of hits but Rohan is still waiting for his first success. Was there any disparity in attitude?
If that were the case, I wouldn't have signed Rohan's film in the first place. Hits and flops are part of the trade, and can't be  fair parameters of a friendship or the talent of a person. We have family ties with the Sippys. These commercial aspects never feature on our agenda. I would work with Rohan at anytime; the equation would never change.

In an interview, Rohan had said that he had wanted you for Ritesh Deshmukh's role in Bluffmaster. Why didn't that work out?

Initially, Sanjay Dutt was supposed to do the role but owing to genuine date problems, he couldn't do it. He suggested that Rohan cast me in his character and take another actor for my role.

In Bluffmaster, you pay tribute to Mehmood by performing a remix version of his famous song Sabse Bada Rupaiya. Whose idea was it?

Mehmood-uncle was one of the finest actors in Indian cinema. My dad admired him a lot and called him bhai. When we were thinking of a title track for the film, Rohan suggested this song. I readily agreed as the song is in sync with the subject. This is a remix version, with Mehmood-uncle's voice.

During the making of the film, rumours were rife that your co-actor Priyanka Chopra was in love with you and...
(He interrupts) …This has become a ritual! The media loves to cook up such stories. And once you start reacting to such gossip, you end up giving it undue attention. Priyanka is a great co-star and we share a very cordial relationship. It is embarrassing for an actor, particularly a woman, to get associated with men she isn't involved with.

But it was also reported that you were dating Dipannita Sharma and later you were also linked with Aishwarya Rai?

When did the Ash episode happen? (He smiles) This is ridiculous. Ash is such a perfect person, why drag her into all these rumours? I would not even like to dignify this question with a reply. As far as Dipannita is concerned, she is a very good friend of mine.

So, is bachelorhood a virtue or a vice?

It depends on you! If you start taking all this hearsay seriously, you are in a fix. It's best to avoid it. And, I don't intend to stay a bachelor all my life… (Smiles)

Your Bengali film Antar Mahal was criticised for its heavy sexual connotation. People were also disappointed with your 'glorified extra' role. Comment.

People have a right to their opinions, but I think Antar Mahal is sensitive cinema. As far as the sexual connotation goes, director Rituparno Ghosh hasn't used it out of context. He is an extremely perceptive director. He knows the medium far better than you or me. I simply wanted to be part of his creative process.

You are working in J P Dutta's Umrao Jaan. Have you seen the original version?
No, I feel terrible that I haven't yet seen Muzaffar Ali's Umrao Jaan. I will watch it before I start  shooting for the film.

Hema Malini wants to cast you opposite Esha in her next directorial venture, which would also star Rekha. Will you be comfortable working with Rekha?
Hema-aunty is very respected in our industry. I would certainly like to work under her direction. But she is still working on the script and hasn't approached me for the role yet.

Ram Gopal Varma replaced you overnight from Ram Gopal Varma Ke Sholay and signed Saif Ali Khan for the role. Why?
I genuinely couldn't accommodate his dates.

But we have heard that Varma was sceptical about people not appreciating Amitabh as Gabbar and Abhishek as Veeru in the same film. So he asked you to step out of the film.

It's interesting to see your imaginative skill at its best! To my knowledge, nothing of that sort happened.

When will RGV start the sequel to Sarkar?

I'm unsure. I think he wants to make Sholay first.

Are you aware of the fact that Anubhav Sinha is making a sequel to Dus called Gyarah?

Oh, really? I will call and congratulate him. It would be fun to work together again, providing he wants me for his sequel.

You're back after a month-long New York schedule for Karan Johar's Kabhie Alvida Na Kehena. How was it working with Shah Rukh Khan for the first time?

Shah Rukh is a tremendous co-star. The energy he brings into the set is simply infectious, and the command he has over his craft is admirable. It's wonderful to just sit and watch his work, forget how exciting it is to share the same frame with him.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jasmin thumbnail
saif as veeru? 😕 😕 😕 that's awful casting! i was really looking forward to abhishek as veeru, he would have been awesome...
ugababe thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
saif as veeru doesn't seem to click!!! that movie is not going to have the same feel without abhishek!! I luv his interviews!!! I think Bachchan junior is one of the most proffesional actors in bollywood. He makes it a point never to put anyone down and is always respectful of his co-stars. Hats of to Abhi!!! MY FAV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

*Khushi*