ARTICLES ABOUT DOLLY SOHI

rinita thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

My Birthday - 15 September

Saroj in "Bhabhi" - sports mangalsutra,bindi & sindoor, none of which I use in real life!

What people don't know about me -I am the youngest member of the revising committee in the Censor Board

My sex appeal - my tears in 'Bhabhi', which are actually glycerine!

This week - I am going to discover I am pregnant in "Bhabhi"

Sexiest man on television - Aly Khan

Sexiest woman on television -After me, Sangeeta Ghosh

I originally belong to - Apna, hamara, sabka pyara Punjab

Lust is - not suitable for me, as long as I am working in "Bhabhi"

First crush - was in school on someone who loved someone else

My all time accessories - sunglasses and my bracelet

My dogs - Tuffy and Tango

Sunday - happens to be just another day in the calendar

I am scared of - cockroaches, rats and MCPs

What I never learnt - swimming

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rinita thumbnail

"I am far more practical than Saroj"

Dolly Sohi, who entered as the lead in Star Plus' Bhabhi from its 160th episode has come a long way playing the afternoon soap queen on Star Plus. Right now though, she is busy preparing for her wedding to Avneet Dhanoa, an NRI. Prashant Golecha spoke to the reticent Dolly to discover that she's as unlike Bhabhi as chalk and cheese!

What kind of a person you are off-screen?

I am emotional, romantic, kind and understanding. I love to laugh a lot unlike Bhabhi's Saroj. I am far more practical than Saroj who is impractical, sacrificing and crying all the time!

How come you keep a low profile unlike other TV artistes?

It's not intentional. But I hardly go to parties, nor do I network much. Besides, I don't dance at awards functions and stage shows like most others do!

Do you feel trapped in Saroj's character?

Yes. I often wear only sarees when I go for functions, thinking people might think me a show off if I wear western clothes. Normally though, I love to wear jeans and long skirts. I would ideally love to work in a comedy show like Office Office!

Match made in heaven

And how did you meet Mr Right?

My fianc is an NRI software engineer from Canada, Avneet Dhanowa, originally from Jalandhar. It's an arranged match. I met him for the first time at a filmi party, where Preeti Sapru introduced me to him. His aunt called my parents a few days later with the proposal. He's coming down to India soon, to prepare for the wedding on 4 March.

Did the fact that he is completely bald affect your decision to marry him in any way?

(laughs) I had mentioned to Preeti Sapru when she introduced us that "this man is 'ganja'". It was Preeti who told me that shaving your head is the in thing in Canada these days. I told her people might mistake him for a prematurely bald guy here in India. Anyway, I have told Avneet to grow some hair before marriage!

What do you like most about him?

His innocence and smile! The best thing about him is that his heart is as clean as his clean shaven head!! (laughs).

Would you continue acting after marriage?

Yes! But it will depend upon my in-laws too. I won't leave my producers in lurch though. If I have to quit the show, I'd inform them in advance.

Do you think TV actresses' careers are affected after marriage?

Yes, people assume that actress would be occupied with their personal life. Well, priorities do change. I was offered Zee's forthcoming Sindoor twice but couldn't take it up due to date issues.

Why haven't you worked with Balaji Telefilms after "Kalash"?

Balaji had offered me Kesar and even Kya Hadsa Kya Haqeeqat. But I couldn't take up the roles due to date problems. Perhaps they now feel I not interested. The fact is I would like to work with Ekta Kapoor again!

How you are managing your shoots and marriage preparations?

I just beg my production people to leave me alone for two-three hours so I can do my shopping! I have already shopped for jewelry from Jhaveri Bazaar and for my trousseau from Benzer and Amarsons.

What would you have been if acting hadn't happened?

I always nursed ambitions of being an athlete. (laughs) I couldn't become one but am going to make sure that my kid does!

rinita thumbnail
Bhabhi prepares for marriage
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   February 23, 2005

The BALD AND the BEAUTIFUL: Dolly Sohi (who plays Saroj) with fianc Avneet Dhanowa
The small screen's Bhabhi is happily hitched, and she has her family's blessings.

"Yes, Bhabhi has found her saiyya. His name is Avneet Dhanowa. He is a software engineer based in Victoria, Canada," says Dolly Sohi, who plays the title role in the afternoon soap on Star Plus.

Tomorrow will be the last day of Sohi's shoot for this UTV serial, as she takes a month's break for her wedding and honeymoon.

"Though my family is Mumbai-based, there are lots of relatives in Amritsar, so we have decided to hold the wedding functions there," says the Navi Mumbai-based Sohi. 

"Only the chuda (bangles) ceremony will be held on February 25, here. Avneet is flying down on February 26 and then we proceed to Amritsar."

The ring and sangeet ceremony will be held on March 1, followed by the mehndi on March 3 and the wedding on March 4. This will all be in Amritsar.

"The reception will be held in Jallandhar on March 5 as Avneet is from there," she says.  

CLOSE PALS:
Dolly with Shilpa Shinde, who plays Manju in Bhabhi
About her wedding outfits, Sohi says, "My designer, Vandana Arora, has done most of the clothes. For the chuda, it is a pink salwar kurta. For the wedding, a maroon lehenga from Benzer and for the reception a gold-and-orange lehenga."

As Sohi has been shooting almost daily, trying to can as many episodes as possible, co-star Shilpa Shinde (who plays Manju in Bhabhi) has helped her in trousseau shopping. On-screen, the vengeful Manju is always plotting against Bhabhi, but off-screen, the two are close pals.

"Whenever Shilpa is shopping, she will call me and say, "Do you want me to pick this up for you; it is in this colour, or do you prefer another colour? She has helped me a lot."

It was actress Preeti Sapru who introduced Sohi to Dhanowa. "Preeti is like an elder sister; she played matchmaker. I was introduced to Avneet by Preeti at a party at the Marriott last year. We got along, the families met and soon, we were engaged."

Sohi is equally excited about the fact that the entire Bhabhi unit will be making it to Amritsar for the wedding. "For four days, there will be no shoot; the producers have been considerate enough to let my co-stars attend the wedding."

The newly-weds will leave for Mauritius for their honeymoon and later go to London, "where Avneet has family. There will be a wedding party there too, after which we may go to Paris."

Sohi is, however, determined to be back in Bhabhi. "I am taking a month's leave for the shoot. My track will continue with whatever I have shot; then I will be shown as being away." She hopes to be back in Mumbai in early April. "I will be going to Canada only around July."

Sohi has been playing bhabhi for two-and-a-half years now — she earlier featured in the Balaji soap Kalash (Star Plus).

She describes Avneet as "a very good hearted man. For the engagement, he sported a bald pate as a fashion statement, but for the wedding I told him please grow your hair — and he has!" 

rinita thumbnail
Honeymoon over, Bhabhi back
   April 7, 2005

WEDDING BELLS: Exclusive pictures of Avneet Dhanowa and Dolly Sohi's wedding
Post a month's break for marriage Dolly Sohi, who plays the title role in the afternoon soap Bhabhi (Star Plus), is back in the studios.

Sohi resumed shooting for this UTV daily on April 3. "It's back to the grind now," she says. "Life has changed for me. Marriage makes you a new person. You look at things with a totally different perspective."

Sohi wed Canada-based NRI Avneet Dhanowa in hometown Amritsar on March 4.

While Sohi is in Mumbai shooting, her hubby is back at work in London where he is presently based. "It's like main yahan, tum wahan," she laughs. "Both of us are professionally committed at the moment. Don't ask me how many international calls go to and fro every day."

Not single anymore:
Dolly Sohi
And who does most of the calling? "It's him," she gushes. Sohi met Dhanowa, a software engineer based in Victoria (Canada), through a common friend, actress Preeti Sapru. "We got along very well and were engaged within a month and six months later we were married," she says.

About the wedding, she says, "Everything went off very well. It was a traditional affair. There was the chudha (bangle) ceremony, sangeet, mehndi and wedding, followed by the reception. 

I was glad that several of my co-stars and the director could make it to Amritsar." Adds Sohi, "We went to Mauritius for our honeymoon. Later, we flew to London as Avneet has lots of family there. We had a reception there too."

The small screen's bhabhi says she will continue acting as long as she can. "Ours will be a long-distance marriage. I am taking things as they come." She hopes to be with her hubby in London in July.

"I will be there for about 20 days. At present, he is in London and will be relocating to Victoria in July, that's when I hope to spend time with him."

Sohi has been acting in Bhabhi for two-and-a-half years. She earlier featured in the Balaji soap Kalash (Star Plus).

rinita thumbnail
Dolly's dilemma: Canada ya India?
   August 10, 2005

SHAADI KA LADOO: Dolly Soni gets cosy with hubby Avneet Dhanowa
Dolly Sohi can't decide whether she should continue to stay in Mumbai for work, or chuck it all up and join hubby Avneet Dhanowa, a software engineer, in Victoria, Canada.

December deadline

This question continues to nag her daily. "Yes, I keep wondering for how long I can stay in Mumbai and he in Canada," admits the actress, who is now seen as Ammu post the generation leap in the Star Plus daily, Bhabhi.

Though still undecided, Dolly has already asked UTV, the producers of this afternoon show, to relieve her by December. "I have just told them but no decision has been taken. They have to take many things into consideration with the channel, before getting back to me," she says.

Three receptions

DANCE PRETTY LADY: Dolly matches steps with hubby Avneet at their wedding ball
Dolly recently returned from Canada after spending 15 days with her hubby and in-laws. "I am shooting for a daily, it was kind enough for the producers to let me go for so many days. We had a reception for all of Avneet's folks there.

It was fun dressing up to be a bride once more. Avneet wanted a very Western reception. I picked a white, off-shoulder silk gown from Victoria for the ceremony.

We cut a three-tiered wedding cake; followed by dancing. It was a proper white wedding; just like in the movies," she laughs. 

"I have had three receptions so far – the first was after the nuptials in March in Jallandhar, the second in London (Avneet was there for a while) and now in Canada. I have also had two honeymoons –— one after the wedding, in Mauritius, and now in Canada."

Bidding Mumbai adieu

Though Dolly is back in the studios shooting for Bhabhi, every passing day reminds her that she will have to take a call soon.

"I am planning to go to Canada in December. Avneet hopes that by then, I'll bid adieu to Mumbai. It's just that I am taking my own time to reach the decision. But I know I will have to, soon. I will miss Mumbai and my shoots. Maybe I will take up something there; but I know I will have to go."

[email protected]

Dolly facts

Dolly Sohi met Canada-based Avneet Dhanowa through common friend, actress Preeti Sapru.

They were engaged within a month of knowing each other and six months later married.

Sohi has been acting in Bhabhi (Star Plus) for almost four years. She earlier featured in the Balaji soap, Kalash (Star Plus).

rinita thumbnail
Stars gazing at the moon

Karwa-chauth is an age-old ritual where the wife observes a fast for the well being of her husband and prays for his long life. To mark this special day today, we spoke with some of the famous STAR bahus and asked them how they would celebrate this festival…

The excitement among the women was easily palpable. They were rather elaborate when asked about various formalities, which are included as a part of the rituals.

The vivacious Poonam Narula (yes, she's the better half of one of the couples on Nach Baliye) of Kkusum fame, told us about how she loves gorging various delicacies and gulps around 2-3 glasses of water before she starts her fast. She also spoke about how much she loves the gifts she receives from her husband, Manish Goel. However, what she enjoys the most is the fact that her husband keeps pampering her throughout the day.

However, for Shilpa Saklani, Ganga of Kyunki… (and another jodi of Nach Baliye) who is married to Approva Aghnihotri, it is about exchanging gifts with her mother-in-law, which is traditionally called Sargi.

It's the same with Rinku Dhawan, Chhaya in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii who adds, "Seviyan needs to be added in your menu before you go in for the fast".

Ritu Chowdhary, Shobha in Kyunki…, seems to be more relaxed. In her family it is more of a fun thing where friends and family get together and have a good time. Preparations at her place start a day early, when women apply mehendi on their hands.

However Dolly Sohi of Bhabhi fame, who recently got married to an NRI was rather unaware of the rituals, and was seeking advice from friends and colleagues.

When asked what would they prefer doing throughout the day, we got a bag of mixed reactions.

Dolly Sohi and Shilpa Saklani prefer working as it could help them divert their mind, whereas Poonam Narula loves relaxing at home.

Ritu Chowdhary spends time back home with family and friends. Rinku Dhawan usually invites her friends over to her place for a session of card games.

But what pepped up the entire conversation were their views over men observing a fast for women. There was an echo of reactions as they feel their husbands should also be a part of this. After all, don't they want their wife to live longer?

Despite the long and busy schedules, these women have kept the roots of their culture alive. We hope they enjoy every bit of the celebration and wish them luck and loads of love.

• Zeenal Sangani
  • Shirley thumbnail
    kool, thanx, she looks nice in da jeans and cap
    punjabigl thumbnail
    thanx for sharing all the articles
    punjabigl thumbnail
    Sapana Patil for Times Groupe

Mumbai, August 27: Dolly Sohi, best known as Bhabhi of Star Plus's afternoon soap of the same name, has decided to renounce her TV career but it is only because she wants to be with her husband who is in Canada.

Apparently, she has been having a difficult time ever since she got married. It is not because of marital discord but for lack of enough interaction with her husband.

Dolly married an NRI Avneet Dhanowa, a software engineer who resides in Canada in January this year. Although she manages to keep in touch with her husband through the phone, she misses the fun of living a married life. She is quite willing to re-unite as soon as possible with her husband.

She misses her huband so much that she flies to the US every month for ten days. "On other days I speak to him on the phone for almost an hour," she shares.

Dolly who lives with her parents in Nerul, Navi Mumbai, says with a laugh, "My producers are nice enough to let me go to Canada. But they keep telling me that I can't take a long leave".     

She has long been talking about quitting television to be with her hubby but now she has finally made up her mind and confirms, "I will be leaving for Canada in December."

She has intimated the required people of her move and says,"I have spoken to the production house (UTV), let's see what happens."

Considering she is leaving as per her will to enjoy marital bliss, the question is whether it will be for good. On asking her if she intends to come back she replied, "If my fans still love me, then it is their love that will bring me back".

"UTV people know that I am an emotional person. So they have told me not to go. They tried to persuade me, hoping that I would change my decision. Bhabhi unit is like family to me, but it can't go on like this," she adds.         & amp; nbsp;    

On quizzing how her character will suffer after she leaves, she says, "I don't know how the track will develop. It is not clear if it will be killed or replaced."     

She is looking forward to life in Canada. In fact, she has some plans already and says, "I may act or may also produce serials for the channels there."

Dolly has had a long innings on TV .She has been acting in Bhabhi for almost four years. Before that she played the lead in Balaji's Kalash as well.

Star Plus's creative director Shailja Kejriwal however said, "She hasn't conveyed about this to us (channel) as yet. So no decision in this regard has been taken."    

UTV was not available for comment. Edited by punjabigl - 18 years ago