SP Jananadhan
Producer
Ayngaran International
Music
Vidyasagar
Cast
Jayam Ravi, Dhansika, Maha, Liasri, Saranya, Vasundhara

By Moviebuzz

Ayngaran International can take pride that they have produced Peranmai, a different type of entertainer with a subtle message. It is a film within the commercial format, but does not pander to mass masala, which itself is a welcome change. SP Jananathan is a gutsy and daring director to make a pro-reservation film, which shows the upper caste tilts in our administration. Here is a definitive movie with a moral framework, and commitment along with a stunning and realistic climax. In an interview, Jananathan has said that "Peranmai means a man who has complete control over his body and soul, which means he has the best of manly qualities". His hero Dhruvan (Jayam Ravi) is a tribal and forest guard who works for the welfare of his tribe and spreading education among them. Ganapathiram (Ponvannan) is his boss and a forest ranger who at every opportune moment insults and ridicules him for being a low caste. One day Dhruvan is put in charge of five arrogant girls (Dhansika, Maha, Liasri, Saranya and Vasundhara) all NCC cadets, who are on a trekking mission. The girls are initially reluctant to work under Dhruvan, more out of his being born into a lower caste and humiliate him. However inside the forest they find out that he is a very efficient and smart guy who knows his way about. Meanwhile they stumble on a group of foreign mercenaries led by Anderson (Roland Kickenger) who are planning to stop India's scientific progress by destroying a rocket launch by using missiles. The rocket launch is to take place from Valiamalai inside the forest area. Dhruvan and the five girls using tact, guts and courage try to stop the 16 well armed foreigners from launching the missile. As duty calls, can Dhruvan and his five women army who now bond together succeed to save our space system? The first half of the film is slow moving and tedious as it takes place at a NCC training camp, where the director is trying to establish his hero's character as a restrained, calm and composed guy who does not get rattled when he is treated almost with contempt by the girls and his senior officer. The way the girls tease him after a time becomes irritating. The censors have muted a lot of anti reservation dialogues in the film, and there are also some double entendres. However the fast-paced second half and stunning climax is the highlight of the film. Jayam Ravi is brilliant as Dhruvan. Calm and composed, he makes the transition from the lover boy to an action hero with ease. For the first time, Ravi does not sing a song nor does he romance. All the five girls in the film look natural and promising. Vadivel is there to lighten the proceedings and Oorvasi as teacher is ok. Ponvannan is perfect as the officer, who walks away with all the glory of the other person's hard work and dedication. Roland Kikenger has hardly anything to do other than look menacing. Vidyasagar's music is a snore though his background score is appealing. A major plus are the locations inside the forest and the action scenes of Miracle Michael. The fist to fist combat and the methods used by our hero to kill the opponents are taken in a very stylish and realistic manner with deft camera movements of Satish Kumar. The art director Selva Kumar's armoury of guns and missiles which he has created for the film looks real. Though the film may not have mass appeal to work in B & C it will definitely attract the city audiences for its smashingly original climax. It is a brave film that is trying to change the placid world of Tamil cinema.

Verdict- Brave attempt

source - www.sify.com  

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Meena.IF thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Would love to watch this as it is something diferent than the recent movies.. I don't want to watch the usual masala movies...

Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
U should def watch this movie Meenu as u will like it.

I am surprised there is no comments here for this movie...its another super movie.  it was no usual singing and dancing duets, romance, sentiments...its only about patriotism for the country.

when we hear the word patriotism we will think about VK and Arjun movies๐Ÿ˜† but this movie is not like that...its a action movie but the fight only comes in the  climax scene๐Ÿ˜Š The title name suits this movie very match as the hero Dhruva have lived up to that๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

The story is about indian  scientists who wants to launch a satelitt so it can help them to identify fertile land for agriculture while a group of foreigner tries to sabotage that satelitt launch. Then we have a NCC camp where female cadets gets trained by none other than our hero Dhruvan, a forest officer๐Ÿ˜›. At first he is been underestimated by 5 of the cadets there, they tries their best to humilate on each way they can๐Ÿ˜ก, he chooses those 5  arrogant girls againts all the odds for trekking inside the forest..there they meet many dangers and the most dangerous one is those terrorists/foreigners who want to sabottage the launch..now its our teams mission to stop them and save the launch.

they have given realistics scenes about how to survive in the forest, look at the signs, how to kill your enemy ( it looks cruel on the promo๐Ÿคข but when Dhruvan explains his team it makes senses na๐Ÿ˜Š), when he look at the cardet who is supposed to return back to the college and alert college about the terrorists, the girl  thinks he likes her and gets happy but he only looked at her knowing she may not make it etc.

This is def one of the best movie of Jeyam Ravi, he have done a fantastic job๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ I hope he continues to choose different kind of movies and not just romantic ones๐Ÿ˜› The girls too was good on their part๐Ÿ‘ I didnt like the cliamax scene, how in the earth Poovanan get the award for rescuing the satelitt operation when he didnt even lift his finger๐Ÿ˜ก..he just humilitated Dhruvan whole time for belonging to a undercaste๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก Music didnt impress either๐Ÿ˜• and the hollywood villain was wasted but he had a good body๐Ÿ˜†

๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฒoh man..I think its the longest post I ever have done for a movie๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Edited by meli - 14 years ago
_Manpreet_ thumbnail
Wow.. thanks so much for the kalakkal udpate daa Meli Kutty ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

I just watched 'Hasini Pesum Padam' and they talked about Peranmai!!!  I am surely going to watch this movie when it comes out here... Wow! I was amazed by how long the artists had to prepare for the movie ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘... Looks like many realistic elements have been incorporated in...

really looking forward to the movie.. ๐Ÿ˜

Papps.. you very very lucky daa ๐Ÿ˜ก... you always watch it before many of us ๐Ÿ˜’
brinny_g thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thanks mels, I only just watched the film a few days ago, and I quite liked it. It was way better than Aadhavan. There's a slight whiff of Chak De India about it, with the feisty girls, heroic male leader and patriotic theme...but only a little bit, the setting and stroy line is totally different.

I loved Jayam Ravi, he looked totally hot, having lost all that weight. I'm a converted fan now. ๐Ÿ˜‰ His acting was great too, so different to his bubbly roles in Something Something and Santhosh Subramaniyam.

The only thing I was a bit weirded out by, was the way the girls were behaving in the first half. It's good to show girls having fun and letting their hair down, but the way they talked to Dhuruvan was bordering on sexual harassment!

Agree with Mels, villain was wasted, and music/bgms were terrible, but, I didnt expect much from Vidyasagar anyway. The ending scene with Ponvannan getting the medal for the others' hard work annoyed me, but it was clever of the director to include it, to show it in reference to the class system in India and the forces.

Overall, a good film with a good message, only dragging in some parts.
jigglypuff726 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
i finally managed to watch this film about a couple of days ago & i liked it.๐Ÿ˜Š honestly speaking i've always liked things, people, movies & just about anything that are diiferent from the norm.

my lost respect for ravi was finally regained by this film. it's been a really LOOOONG time since i watched a ravi film & said "wow.. he did an amazing job!".๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ i think the only other film of ravi's i appreciated for his whole-hearted performance was Jeyam & that was what.. 6 years ago.๐Ÿ˜Š

anyways i think Peranmai was indeed a brave attempt from the usual masala filled stories that are so common in cinema nowadays. i actually felt like i was watching a more mordern 'Jaihind'.

roland kickinger, the hollywood villian reminded me so much of arnold schwarznegger, his built & even his expressions were a dead ringer for Arnold's 'Terminator' character. when he refused to die even after ravi stabbed him countless times with the herb poison laced knives i was like ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜† "it's the new terminator!".. LOL! i half expected roland to say "I'll be back" when he finally fell to the ground.๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

the girls.. tsk tsk.. what do i say? except for Ajitha in some scenes, the rest of the girls annoyed me like crazy. walking around the hostel nude to frame dhruvan, making fun of his caste, laughing at his misfortune when he is wrongfully punished. the last straw was when those moronic girls nearly drove the jeep off the mountain.๐Ÿ˜ก the five of them redeemed themselves in the end but i still couldn't like any of them. the susheela death scene was touching though, how her musical box with the Kanthasasthi Kavasam fell out when they were burying her.๐Ÿ˜ญ

ponvannan was excellent in his role!๐Ÿ‘ unlike those five girls his hidden caustic comments were more effective in making an impression on the audience.

however one thing remains a mystery to me. ponvannan chased dhruvan's entire village out of the forest area they were occupying right? didn't dhruvan do anything about that when he returned back to his camp? why was that left as a cliffhanger? it would have been nice to see dhruvan finally speaking up for his people instead of going back to his duty as if nothing ever happened. anyone agree with me?๐Ÿ˜Š
Edited by jigglypuff726 - 14 years ago