The Redemption of Damini Gujral

dee86 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago

Since that fateful night when Damini found out she was being two-timed by he-who-shall-not-be-named-for-fear-I'll-puke, I'd been very apprehensive about the way she was being portrayed. Gone was the strong, smart woman who would't take any crap from anybody; in her place, we had a weeping, broken woman who was fast becoming a damsel-in-distress, especially around Prithvi. I assumed that this would be the end of the spitfire I love. In my defence, I've seen umpteen shows where the leading lady starts off being very independent, but becomes progressively 'bharatiya nari' types, much to my irritation.

The PriDa date proved me completely wrong...

From the moment Damini stepped downstairs in those lovely yellow sandals, she was totally in control. She was confident, both of her own beauty and of its effect on the man awaiting her. When Prithvi started rambling away (very adorably, may I add), notice that she smirked, as if amused, instead of being all coy and bashful. Dams also laid down the rules of the date. By asking him to leave his holster, by pointing out that  they were going out together, and by sitting in the front seat, she caught Prithvi off-guard and proved to us that she very well knew what she was doing...

In the restaurant too, she kept up the playful banter. To everything Pri had to say, she had an effective counter. Notice how she rolled her eyes When he teased her about being scared of the dark (In my opinion, she was simply startled). She was spontaneous and open, and Pri was more smitten than he's ever been. She also didn't protest much when 'uncle' and 'aunty' (who seem to have supernatural powers as well, they know Pri's name without being introduced!) started off about how perfect PriDa are (duh! what have we been saying all these days?). And, I absolutely loved that little spat they had... She didn't back down then, either.And the whole dance thing... Not only did she not get upset that Pri refused to dance at first, but she teased and cajoled him till she had him right where she wanted him - on the dance floor...

If the promo is anything to go by, Damini will remind Pri today of something he already knows, but chooses to ignore - Damini Gujral is not a woman to be patronised. She doesn't need his help/support, she wants (or will want, very soon IMO) HIM! She'll whip him into shape and make him realise that she is his equal, in all respects.

That brings me to why I love PriDa so much. Both Prithvi and Damini are intense, forceful personalities. When they do fall in love (which I think will be pretty soon), they will surrender to each other completely. Yet, they will both be strong enough to make sure that their own identities are not overwhelmed by the other. True, Damini and Prithvi are opposites, but they are opposites that complement and complete each other to form a whole. And the whole, as people say, is much much much more than the sum of the parts... which is the beauty of their relationship.

p.s. Dear lord, LOOK at the length of this.. I'm sorry, but you can't really blame me; PriDa is a very inspiring topic! 😃

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sistu thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Love your post. PriDa is a topic tht can cheer u when u really need to be cheered.

lnmdj_greatfan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
love ur post diya ... awesum one ...
fibrinogen9 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
diya..........cant help it.... im in luv wid this post
doop4 thumbnail
Bull's eye, diya! I am so glad that the script writers stuck to their guns. I also liked the banter at the cafe. She wants to know more about the guy she's beginning to have feelings for. She hasn't made any rash moves yet. I was concerned that they would make her fall for him completely (inconsistent with her character) before she found out the worst but I am glad that they've stuck to the original protrayel. She's doing her background checks and that too with tremendous style!

The dance convo was as witty as it can get on (indian) tele these days. I-am-not-forcing-you-but-I-really-would-like-to. All very cleverly written out.

A huge applause to the creators of Prithvi and Damini! and of course to Chandana and Gaurav for portraying them beautifully
⭐️Edited by doop4 - 14 years ago
Who-I-Used-2-Be thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
That was beautifully written, Diya..Loved it..

Like you, I too feared that they were slowly destroying Damini's character and what she was supposed to be..But it feels really really good to have the Damini Gujral back, the girl who matches and equals Prithvi Saxena in every sense of the word..

Originally posted by: diya86

Both Prithvi and Damini are intense, forceful personalities. When they do fall in love (which I think will be pretty soon), they will surrender to each other completely. Yet, they will both be strong enough to make sure that their own identities are not overwhelmed by the other. True, Damini and Prithvi are opposites, but they are opposites that complement and complete each other to form a whole. And the whole, as people say, is much much much more than the sum of the parts... which is the beauty of their relationship.

This was gold, baby..

They are both a world on their own, but none of them is complete without the other. They have always walked alone, proud and erect, never really needing a companion and dealing with life and all that jazz, but both of them complete each other, fill those voids in each other's lives which were always there, though they never realized it..They have come home, they have come to a place, a point which is an all time high of their lives..The day they realize it, time will be out to charm them, and to charm us, the witnesses to their beautiful journey..
doop4 thumbnail

Dams also laid down the rules of the date. By asking him to leave his holster, by pointing out that they were going out together, and by sitting in the front seat, she caught Prithvi off-guard and proved to us that she very well knew what she was doing...

In the restaurant too, she kept up the playful banter. To everything Pri had to say, she had an effective counter. Notice how she rolled her eyes When he teased her about being scared of the dark (In my opinion, she was simply startled). She was spontaneous and open, and Pri was more smitten than he's ever been.

These were indeed the best moments for me in yesterday's episode and I readily admit that no dance sequence today is going to top the interaction between PriDa yesterday! I loved it! The dialogues were great (I think I am falling for the script writer - uh oh!scary) . And yes, the smirk was so much more better than having her sweep the floor with her eyelashes when Prithvi stared at her after coming down the stairs. Keep it up, guys! You are not going off air any time soon. We'll make sure!

And diya, I forgot to mention in my other post , super duper post. please post more often!!

@sarah- to the point,as usual! 😃Edited by doop4 - 14 years ago

If the promo is anything to go by, Damini will remind Pri today of something he already knows, but chooses to ignore - Damini Gujral is not a woman to be patronised. She doesn't need his help/support, she wants (or will want, very soon IMO) HIM! She'll whip him into shape and make him realise that she is his equal, in all respects.

That brings me to why I love PriDa so much. Both Prithvi and Damini are intense, forceful personalities. When they do fall in love (which I think will be pretty soon), they will surrender to each other completely. Yet, they will both be strong enough to make sure that their own identities are not overwhelmed by the other. True, Damini and Prithvi are opposites, but they are opposites that complement and complete each other to form a whole. And the whole, as people say, is much much much more than the sum of the parts... which is the beauty of their relationship.

Fantastic post Diya, the fear of damini getting diluted was totally put to rest in this whole date thing and loved the whole post especially above..

👏
leaves45 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
ok that post was so wonderfully done, you compelled me to come and respond to it....but what am I supposed to add? u explained everything so wonderfully and i just smiled and nodded along infront of the computer.....people at work think I am crazy btw.
Dawn Idol thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Diya ...... that was awesome ....

So beautifully put ......... I agree whole-heartedly to every thing you said about Damz ..... totally love this heroine ( Am a bit too fed-up with the extremes they portray on TV ..... typical Bahratiya Nari or the vamp ) ......

I too loved the way she laid down the rules for this 'date' , she knew exactly what she was doing .... here Pri was totally at sea ... lost !!!!!

I'm sure he hasn't come across someone as bewitching as Damz ..... and he's mesmerised / spellbound ...... he needs 'the revenge bhoot' to jolt him into reality .......

I was rubbing my hands in glee ... the way she lead him on till he could no longer resist .... and finally takes her into his arms for a dance ..... he was like a stubborn kid .... arms crossed .... refusing to dance and chauvinistically forbidding her to ask him to ........ the way she skillfully negotiated that particular obstacle was awesome ...... Girl power Jai Ho!!!!! 👏

Need we say more ?????

Totally enjoyed your post Diya ..... 👍🏼