SRK isn't ashamed of his success: Nikhil Dwivedi

sanober. thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago

SRK isn't ashamed of his success: Nikhil Dwivedi

By Devansh Patel

Devansh Patel met the ever so awake aristocrat Nikhil Dwivedi and discussed the actors he grew up on, the relationship of cinema and the common man, Raavan, Mani Ratnam, Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and his two idols - Big B and SRK. As he says, "No other world should exist between 'action' and 'cut'. Before and after that, you should just be yourself."

Actors I looked up to…
"When I was a four year old, I decided that I'll grow up to be an actor. The passion that has been evoked in me at an early age comes into you because you grow up on a certain kind of cinema.

I've grown up on single screen theatres and wasn't a part of the multiplex audience back then. We are now catering to the latter and I am part of that catering business.

I come from a very strict family and films for me were once in a blue moon, except when it was an Amitabh Bachchan film. That's the actor I grew up on. My other favourite came years later. He was Shah Rukh Khan. I know SRK as a person and my liking for him is more than the actor or the star that defines him."

Amitabh Bachchan
"I am an actor today because of Amitabh Bachchan. I've grown up watching his films. My favourite Amitabh Bachchan film cannot be short listed as there are dozens of them. I personally like Satte Pe Satta because he looked the most handsome in it.

Then there is always an Agneepath, Deewar and Kaala Patthar. Mili is one of the most under rated performances he has and will ever give to Hindi films. That was when he played the angry young man for the first time in his life. Whenever he has played the angry young man, he had a lot of vendetta and angst against a particular person in the film.

There have been only three films that come to my mind where he had this bitterness against the whole wide world. It's a very difficult emotion to play but only he can pull it off. He did it in Mili, followed it in Deewar and then finally he did it in Agneepath."

Shah Rukh Khan
"I will never forget what SRK once told me before I entered films. He said, "Films is not about bungalows, about cars, about fans chasing you for autographs. When you make a film, you should get the aroma from the negative print."

Not many actors can have a five hour long conversation with you without making you feel bored. SRK is extremely intelligent, extremely articulate, very well read and highly successful. What's more, he isn't ashamed of his success, neither is he too pompous or flamboyant about it as many people perceive him to be.

He likes the way it is. And despite all the above, there is a very middle class Delhi boy in him and that is something very endearing. You just want to sit with him and learn from him.

He could be talking to you about micro-biology and he is an expert in it or he could talk to you about aeroplanes and submarines or world cinema. You come back and google what you've heard from him and learn that all that is true."

How Raavan happened…
"The working title of the film is still Raavan. The part I'm playing in Raavan is that of a police officer who is a subordinate to his senior police officer played by South Indian National Award winning actor Vikram. Mr. Mani Ratnam wants each and every actor of his to come and do a look test for him.

One has to read for his part. I had to do the same. I read for my part and I am just very fortunate that he liked me in my part."

Mani Ratnam - A star maker?
"Mani Ratnam isn't a star maker. He is a director who makes a better actor. He isn't making a star. He is simply telling a story and making a film. 70% of the film is complete now and what I've noticed is that he doesn't try to make his film a star. I mean, his film into a super hit.

His personality is over the top but his cinema is not. Mani Ratnam knows what he wants and his ambience is usually a league above what the others would envision. I don't know how much will Raavan benefit me, but I can tell you one thing for sure, I am going to carry a lot of this film to my future projects."

Raavan and Ramayan
"The film is set in modern times and is somewhat inspired by the epic Ramayan. It is more about how human beings think and how they react to a given situation in modern times.

The curiosity which Raavan is evoking is in context to the Ramayan. It also needs to as it is a Mani Ratnam film. Just during the pre-release when the director decides to speak about the film, I think people will have far more clarity on the film."

Abhishek Bachchan
"This is the first time I had any sort of interaction with Abhishek. I had heard about this when I used to read interviews about his colleagues and friends talking about Abhishek that he is a very well brought up boy and he is very cultured, mannered, etc.

I thought that a guy who is all this should be so perfect. Now I know why they say this about him. One of the finest qualities about Abhishek is that he makes the attempt to make you feel comfortable. That is a very rare quality that he possesses.

He will not bother if that person has walked up to him or not. He will walk up to them and talk. He wins over people and he has won over me."

Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
"She is right on time, I should say. A true professional. She is also there in the Tamil version of Raavan and is shooting simultaneously for both the parts. That is physically taxing. But these are just not actors; they are much more than just a celebrity."

Govinda
"You might wonder what Govinda is doing in a Mani Ratnam film. Believe me, he is a true definition of versatility. He is mesmerising when he is acting. I've been in a couple of scenes with him and he is an actor who can make you forget your lines. He flows and that's beautiful. There are some actors who are just blessed and he is one of them."

Favourite films
"My favourite Mani Ratnam film has to be Roja and Bombay for the simple reason that the subject matter was very real. It had a lot of heart and soul to it.

For once Mani Ratnam didn't dwell away from the emotional quotient in the film. He stuck to it and made films that are still remembered by all.

My favourite Abhishek Bachchan film is Bunty aur Babli and his first film Refugee. I hope I don't annoy Abhishek here but I saw a lot of Amitabh Bachchan in him in Refugee. I think if I don't see a lot of father in his own son, where else shall I see it?"

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=30171