sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
So we have successfully completed the journey of the first week of episodes and we want to discuss the show with you. For this particular discussion, we will discuss Rajputs and their Honour. The Rajputs were very adamant on their Honour, so here are a few questions for you to think about and to discuss!

1. If you were Rana Ratan Singh, would you have argued back with Padmini's dad or reasoned in a nice way like Rana Ratan Singh did?

2. What are your thoughts on honour? Do you feel you are a Rajput in terms of Honour or not?

3. Why do you think Padmini's dad doesn't want her to marry - is because he loves her too much?

4. Was Padmini's father right to allow her to fight in the Swayamwar herself?

5. If Padmini lost the fight but was injured or even killed, who would have been responsible? The opponent, her father or her?

6. And this is a random question, but do you wish you could speak with a Rajput accent?

Please give us your thoughts and comments, we look forward to this discussion!

If you like this discussion or want to say thanks, why not use the Like Button below? Also, we have siggies to use in our creations corner, why not use them to advertise our forum?
Edited by sattvik - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jenifer. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Great DOTW and good questions Sattvik. As I said, this will exercise some of my brain cells so I shall come back to this later.
Simone2006747 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Nice questionnaire ... thank you !!!    😊

1. If you were Rana Ratan Singh, would you have argued back with Padmini's dad or reasoned in a nice way like Rana Ratan Singh did?
-- I would adopt the Rana's approach. The Rana behaved like the true gentleman. He expressed himself in a courteous and respectful manner and did not do or say anything to belittle the King.

2. What are your thoughts on honour? Do you feel you are a Rajput in terms of Honour or not?
-- Every one deserves to be treated with respect, irrespective of their religion, s*x and national origin. But if they are not, then its not their problem ... its the problem of the other person (opponent). πŸ˜‰
Yes, if someone insulted my country, I would be very hurt.

3. Why do you think Padmini's dad doesn't want her to marry - is because he loves her too much?
-- It was not clear. But I can make an educated guess.
Rajasthan is hundreds of miles away from Sri Lanka. And the thought of his daughter going far away from him bothered the King and that concern manifested itself as over-protectiveness (and even some initial dislike for the Rana).
But I was happy to see the King accept the Rana when he realized that his daughter loved him (this shows that the King respects his daughter's decisions).

-- Yes. The Princess is an adult and she has a right to decide how she wants to select her life partner. The fact that the King allowed her shows that he trusts her decision. My respect for the King rose when I realized that.

5. If Padmini lost the fight but was injured or even killed, who would have been responsible? The opponent, her father or her?
-- The Princess herself. It was her decision to challenge her suitor ... hence the outcome is her responsibility.

6. And this is a random question, but do you wish you could speak with a Rajput accent?
-- I would love to speak with a Rajput accent. I have visited Rajasthan and traveled with the natives, on camelback. The dialects are varied but soothing to the ear. The land, the palaces, the art work are breathtaking.
Now as I watch this serial, I can only imagine the life of grandeur the people lived. I am eagerly waiting for the Princess to go to her "sasuraal" ... Chittor ...     😊

Edited by simi2006747 - 14 years ago
KrishnaSourav thumbnail
Thanks for  wonderful questions.
My answer are:-

1.If you were Rana Ratan Singh, would you have argued back with Padmini's dad or reasoned in a nice way like Rana Ratan Singh did?

Ans:-Yes, He is true rajput and behaved like this.He didin't show any rude manner to King of sinhal deep(Padmini's dad).
Ans:-I thinks honour means Self respect and pride for own motherland.But don't any anyone's self respect.

Yes, I feel that.If some one hurt my motherland or my self respect ,It hurts my honour.

Ans:-Yes,I think Padmin's dad  doesn't want her to marry anyone, because, he is over protective, and his love for his daughter too much.

But, when he realize her daughter love Rana Ratan singh ,then he accept his daughter decision  happily.
Ans:-Yes, Padmini is an adult woman and she has full right to select her husband who is more capable to take care of her.

Every woman want her husband more superior than her in every aspects.

Ans:-Padmini herself responsible for this.
Ans:- I would love to speak with a Rajput accent.I have visited rajasthan many times and Everytime I wondered about  beauty of this place and eager to visit more.It's very nice place.Their culture,sangeet ,costume,Jwellery etc everything are just awesome.

Edited by veersherafan1 - 14 years ago
Jenifer. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
If I was Rana, then I would've first started off in the reasoning way he did. Padmini's dad was doing nothing but comparing and boasting about his land. But if the insults about my own loving land continued then I would've become a lil harsh, just to stop him and tell him that he can't go expressing his views in such a way. But I liked it when Rana quietly walked away. It showed that instead of raising his voice against Padmini's dad, he would rather walk away with respect.

I'd like to think I'm a Rajput where honour is concerned! Jokes aside, Rajput's are known to be honourable men, even if the end means death. I think it's important to be honourable, it kinda ties in with respect. You know how to honour someone/something then you know how to respect them/it. But I also believe that being too honourable can lead to debates, favouritism, ego issues. So honour in my eyes is a good and a bad thing.

Padmini's dad does love Padmini alot. You can tell they're share a close relationship. She's his pride, his little 'show and tell' piece. I think she's his only daughter/child (I don't know, correct me if I'm wrong) so giving her away would be a huge task emotionally. You know the saying 'fathers and their daughters' and 'mothers and their sons', that probably applies here. He will want to get her married but meanwhile he's just delaying it, trying to fish out as much time as he can with her.

If it was Padmini's choice and her dad didn't reject the idea then there's not much that could be done really. However, the question does arise of Padmini's dad being a responsible parent and her being a woman la-di-da. But we must remember that Padmini's of a responsible age and could look afterself if can fight like that and woman can do whatever they wish if the wanted to. No, I'm not a feminist!

Never the opponent, it's the opponent's job to out-do the person their up against. Her father could be blamed for not being tough enough and not deciding against her wish. If he loved her then he would keep her out of harm's way. But then again, if her loved her then he would let her free. He probably weighed the risks of her getting hurt, was confident enough that she would win so he allowed her. However, it would 100% be Padmini's own fault if she got injured. She wanted to do it, she went and did it and she's resonsible for her own actions.

6. And this is a random question, but do you wish you could speak with a Rajput accent? Not really familiar with the accent but when I do hear it I know it's not the typical accent we hear in films/shows. But I am fasinated with Rajasthan itself, with it's history, landscape, culture etc. Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to visit there and to those who have been, I envy you!
mehraan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
first of all nioce questionnarie...like the sets of questions...
i dnt think i wud hve done tis way...ranaratan singh behaved like a true gentleman...he didnt argue bt quietly walked away vich was mre impactful...he has gained respect in the eyes of her father...

im sure ranaratan singh will give tough competition 2 presentday grooms if he was in tis century🀣

rajputs r tough ppl wen it cmes 2 respect. honour n pride....even if thy r dying thy will always keep their promises intact till the last breath...honour is also necessary  cos its linked wid self respect!
definately if sme1 tells bad abt my country it wud hurt me....

yup tat is the reason....he loves her 2 much n tat can be seen...hes rite in a way no father wud give his daughter 2 any unknown widout findg his whearabouts, characater.....so conducting test is his soleful right

i think he trust his daughter ....trust is most imp in any relation... after all padmini has a right in selectg her life partner...mayb at those times tests were conducted n padmini cmg 2 the battleground shows she was mre interested having the best 4 herself....tat is y she singlehadedly tul the suitors 1 by 1!!!

she is responsible 4 her actions...she tuk a risk!

i luv rajasthani culture a lot...i hve always been smitten by it...whtr it is folklore, customs, traditions, landscapes...i always   loved 2 kno mre n mre...i wud luv 2 learn ./speak wid a rajput accent
bt mst importanatly waitg 2 c how padmavati tries 2 apt 2 the culture, dressg style, n traditions of rajputs!!!im waitg 4 her weddg n her sasural!
*Dakoo_Minzy* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Nice one Satvik πŸ‘ πŸ‘

I guess i would've even lost my temper worser than Rana Ratan Singh.

Yes,100% Rajput traits i have.There was this NRI guy in my class,he was making bad comments on India.I listened for 'bout 2-3 min to see if he'd stop.Then,when i saw he was crossing limits i told him straight some 'facts'.After that he never dared to say a word against my India.

Padmini's dad feels insecure about her security.I guess that's the reason.He doesn't believe wether any other man,Prince can give her that much love that he gives.Its fatherly love and affection that i see.

Erm,Yes! I know the fact that a Rajput never takes his 'Talwar' on a Women.But,in this case,it was a must.Lyk,thinking from Padmini's side,she wanted someone who would be more powerful than her in her life.She is known for her Talwar Fighting,so someone who is more stronger and powerful than her only can protect her from troubles.

Padmini alone & also the opponent to an extent.You can win over your opponent even without harming/injuring the other.

Yes I do.

Nisha_07 thumbnail
Nice questions Sattvik! πŸ˜›

My first instinct would be to argue, though I have learnt through experience that arguing doesn't win anything. I've found that the best way to handle conflict or a potential conflict is to let the emotion calm down and then deal with the underlying issues.So whilst my instinct would have been emotional, my reaction would have been more logical

Honour is a very strange concept. I mostly agree with Jen here, too much honour can lead to a whole new set of problems. However honour does go hand in hand with self respect and yes, if something/someone was insulting my self-respect, I would take that as an insult on my honour too. I guess it's all about balance!
As for being a Rajput in terms of honour, I'd have to say yes. I would protect that which needs to be protected and stand up for what's right.

I think there's an element of love - her getting married means her leaving his home. Together with that, he is immensely proud of her and her abilities, and knows that she deserves to marry an equal, someone who would love, protect and honour her. And from the people that had originally shown up to the swayamwar, there was no-one there who was worthy of her.

To be honest, I'm not sure. Part of me thinks yes, she absolutely needed to do that, how else would she have found the man who was her equal? If she hadn't been the one to fight Rana Ratan Singh, she would not have appreciated his talents.

On the other hand, the intention of that swayamwar was not really to find a groom. Padmini and her father knew that none of the rajas invited would be able to beat her, so in essense the swayamwar was a bit of a lie. Was that action itself right? I don't think so. But putting that to one side, any good swordsman could have fought and defeated the invited rajas .

Hmm. We'll call that one undecided, I think!

Destiny, I think. The opponent could not be held responsible - he had been asked to prove his worth and fight a good fight. When you step into the ring, you have to be ready for the outcomes.

I do. I like the Rajput culture, the way of life, everything. Rajastan is my dream destination...