It's okay to slap your wife

Posted: 14 years ago
Saudi Judge Says It's OK to Slap Wives

(May 10) -- Husbands are allowed to slap their wives if they spend lavishly, a Saudi judge said recently during a seminar on domestic violence, Saudi media reported Sunday.
Arab News, a Saudi English-language daily newspaper based in Riyadh, reported that Judge Hamad Al-Razine said that "if a person gives SR 1,200 [$320] to his wife and she spends 900 riyals [$240] to purchase an abaya [the black cover that women in Saudi Arabia must wear] from a brand shop and if her husband slaps her on the face as a reaction to her action, she deserves that punishment."

Skip over this content
Hassan Ammar, AFP / Getty Images

Saudi women face restrictions in how they can dress and conduct themselves in public.

Skip over this content

Women in the audience immediately and loudly protested Al-Razine's statement, and were shocked to learn the remarks came from a judge, the newspaper reported.
Arab News reported that Al-Razine made his remark as he was attempting to explain why incidents of domestic violence had increased in Saudi Arabia. He said that women and men shared responsibility, but added that "nobody puts even a fraction of blame" on women, the newspaper said.
Al-Razine "also pointed out that women's indecent behavior and use of offensive words against their husbands were some of the reasons for domestic violence in the country," it added.
Domestic violence, which used to be a taboo subject in the conservative kingdom, has become a hot topic in recent years. Groups like the National Family Safety Program have campaigned to educate the public about the problem and help prevent domestic abuse.
Skip over this content

Saudi women's rights activist Wajeha Al-Huwaider told CNN that Saudi women routinely face such attitudes.

"This is how men in Saudi Arabia see women," she said in a telephone interview from the Saudi city of Dahran. "It's not something they read in a book or learned from a friend. They've been raised to see women this way, that they're less than a person."
Al-Huwaider added that "I'm not surprised to see a judge or a religious man saying that - they've been raised in the same culture - a culture that tells them it's ok to raise your hand to a woman that this works."
Another Saudi judge, in the city of Onaiza, was the source of a separate recent controversy: he twice denied a request from the mother of an 8-year-old girl that the girl be granted a divorce from her 47-year-old husband.
Last month, after human-groups condemned the union, the girl was granted the divorce.
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

I'm a muslim, but this seems to be just disgusting.🤢 Your views ... ?

*Double posting*

Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 14 years ago
yep it is indeed disgusting. how can it be Ok to slap ur wife.
sonur15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
How can they say its OK to slap your wife 🤢..its disgusting.
^ Indeed. And what's depressing is that judges, who are suppose to be enforcing laws and morals in the countries is saying such a thing. What will the public learn if judges say such a thing. Btw, guys, please do not turn this into another war ground as well ...

I am a Muslim too but i detest people who take pleasure in beating their wives just to maintain their so called image this is DISGUSTING!

i dont think anyone thinks it is right to beat women then y do men do that and on top of that judges like this support only men can explain this. i dont think any woman will say it is right.
qazplm thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
This is against the principles of Islam...could there be anything more unprofessional as this abuse of power?
anuradhasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

dis is really disgusting....beating ur wife...or even slaping is inhuman.........

funny part......one more law shud be dere.....
"Its ok to slap ur husband if he gives u less amount den u need to buy ur thing."😉...no offfence !😳

and guys plzz dont turn dis topic into religious debate.......tok wat u feel frm ur innermost self.....widut taking any religion into consideration......tok wat u feel not wat ur religion says........dats a request......no offence again!